• Just Suck It Up and Go

December 15, 2011

Woah. Where did today go?!? Holy time warp. I guess I can’t get that time back, so let’s get right to it!

Snack

Mid-morning, I headed to Starbucks for a few hours of NASM studying. While there, I ordered a soy latte to sip on.

I love having my lattes made with soy milk at Starbucks because it makes them thick and creamy, but also because Starbucks uses a vanilla-flavored soy milk, so my latte is a little bit sweet without adding any additional sugar.

My studying went pretty well today. I plowed through my flashcards and then tested myself using the NASM Personal Trainer and NASM Exam Prep apps on my iPhone. (Both apps are really helpful!)

Things are definitely starting to click, but I still have some more studying in my future.

Lunch

After my study session, I headed home for lunch. I reheated some Mac & Cheese Lite and mixed it with sautéed mushrooms and black beans. Random ingredients? Yes. But, they tasted delicious together!

Snack

I spent the next couple of hours tackling my inbox before taking a break for an afternoon snack.

Today’s snack was black cherry Chobani mixed with banana slices and chia seeds. Black cherry flavor = wicked good.

I followed up my yogurt + banana with a scoop of sunflower butter straight from the jar. For some reason, I needed a scoop of sunflower butter in my life at that very moment. It hit the spot.

CrossFit Q & A

The other day, I received an email/question from a friend of mine about trying CrossFit for the first time. A bunch of you guys mentioned wanting to give it a try too, so I thought I’d share my response.

My friend’s email:

Hi Tina,

Hope you are doing well! I was just reading your blog, particularly about your recent CrossFit experiences. I have always wanted to try it, but have been quite intimated by it. Do you have any advice how to get started and what kinds of things to look for in a CrossFit gym? Or should I just suck it up and go?! Any advice would be awesome and much appreciated! Thanks so much!

My reply:

Yes, just suck it up and go! It’s actually not as hard as I thought it would be. Ok, that’s a total lie. It IS hard, but it’s not scary-hard, if that makes sense? Like, once you get going and do the workout, it’s not as overwhelming and intimidating as you’d think it would be. Plus, no one is pushing you to lift a crazy-heavy weight that you might hurt yourself doing. You pretty much determine how intense the workout will be for yourself. You can push yourself as hard as you want and rest and take breaks whenever you want and no one blinks an eye. If anything, people will encourage you to keep at it!

I really hope you decide to try CrossFit! You’ll never know what it’s all about until do you!

If you want to try CrossFit, just contact the coach(es) at the location you want to join and inquire about an intro session. My CrossFit did a one-on-one session with me, but other locations have scheduled intro classes each week. You learn all of the basic CrossFit moves, so when you take a real class, you’re not totally lost. Although, you’d probably never be totally lost since everyone is really helpful and more than willing to show you what to do.

Off to walk the pug and then CrossFit! I already saw the WOD, and I’m pretty sure it might kill me… I mean, I can’t wait!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Isn’t CrossFit really expensive though? Here in DC it’s about $299 a month.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

@Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio: I REALLY want to do it though. Anything new can be scary… but it’s great to grow in confidence as you work out.

Sarah S. December 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm

@Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio: It’s expensive here (Dallas area), too. But I want to try it, too. Maybe as it grows in popularity the cost will come down some? Supply/ demand kind of stuff? But right now it’s out of my budget — but it sounds so AWESOME! :-)

Tina December 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

@Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio: It depends on the location, but it is expensive for the most part. Mal and I adjusted our budget (i.e. less going out and boozing face), so we can afford our CrossFit membership.

Brie @ Brie Fit December 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

@Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio:
    It doesn’t have to be, depending on where you live. I pay about $60 a month for CrossFit because I got in on the ground floor as a charter member of my box. A lot of places also do teacher/military/police discounts and couple discounts.

Katie December 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

@Brie @ Brie Fit: I actually just started doing Crossfit at my local gym, which has most of the equipment recommended (if they don’t have something, I do a substitution workout). But I follow crossfit.com which posts a WOD each day. And it’s free! :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I love that attitude for trying any workout for the first time – it might suck, but you want to feel like you’re getting worked, right?!

Tina December 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm
    kathleen @ the daily crumb December 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm

thanks for the cross fit advice! i totally agree — sometimes we need to just suck it up and do it.

i LOVE soy lattes at starbucks… so so so creamy. egg nog is also delicious, but that’s reserved for special treat days :)

Lena @ Fit on the Rocks December 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Murphy’s face in those pictures is priceless! My friend has been bugging me to go to Crossfit, but all the gyms here are so $$$$

Sarah S. December 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Random thoughts on this post:
    – I can’t find that kind of yogurt in my area (though I haven’t scoped out my Whole Foods, yet).
    – The trim on the wall in the picture with Murphy makes him look like he’s wearing a tiny little crooked party hat. I was hoping he was having some sort of celebration. :-)
    – With Ashley @CoffeeCake and Cardio, would LOVE to try me some CrossFit, but it’s pretty spendy. I seem to remember you got some kind of deal on this one? I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that. I’m hearing AMAZING things about CrossFit.

Tina December 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

@Sarah S.: No, sadly, no deal. I’m shelling out the big bucks, but it’s worth it so far! :)

Sarah S. December 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

@Tina: Bummer. But sometimes you’ve just gotta invest in yourself and your fitness. I actually have seen a Groupon for a Crossfit boot camp.

katie @ KatieDid December 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’m off to my first real crossfit workout in a half hour also. I’ve done 3 one on one sessions to learn all the basic moves but I’m excited to give the real deal a go. Now that I get the ‘lingo’ a little bit, you’re workout recaps will make even more sense so I’m excited to follow along! Hope you have a fun class.

Tina December 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@katie @ KatieDid: Woohoo! Yea, the lingo is nuts. I’m still lost with a lot of it!

Amanda December 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm

So that’s why I like the soy lattes at Starbucks so much. I didn’t realize they used vanilla soy milk.

It’s good to know that you don’t find CrossFit to be too intimidating. I’m slowly working up the courage to try it.

Tina December 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

@Amanda: I’m not sure about every Starbucks location, but a lot of them use the vanilla soy milk.

lindsay December 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm

@Tina: pretty sure its standard!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) December 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Really wish we could get Chobani here, looks so good. Anything black cherry is good in my books, I’m officially an addict!

Cait's Plate December 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Ugh – I wish my day was flying by!! I’m so jealous yours is! (Why is it always the days we need to last longer fly and the days we want to go quicker go so slow?!)

Brie @ Brie Fit December 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I agree with what you said by just doing it! I was scared the first time, but everyone is so nice and encouraging.
    I agree with emailing the owner. I had contact with a box before I found MY box and it was just not a good fit for me, personality-wise. They were way more hardcore than I am. After a few emails with the owner of the place I go now, I knew I would be welcomed with open arms (and I was)!
    Also, everyone there remembers their first WOD and how hard it was…nobody starts CrossFit being amazing at it from day one. My friend’s husband couldn’t finish his first WOD, and a few months later he’s turned into a total rockstar!

Tina December 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

@Brie @ Brie Fit: I’ll never forget my first WOD! How long have you been doing it?

Brie @ Brie Fit December 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

@Tina: I started in mid-August of this year, so four months. Best decision ever!

Tina December 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@Brie @ Brie Fit: Nice! I’ll check out your blog for details! :)

Alicia December 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

LOVE crossfit! I did it for about 6 months until I got injured playing vb. I hit the ball harder during crossfit than I did when I played in college. I got strong and felt great. It can be pricey. My place had a student discount for 100 but its usually 130 I think. I reallllly miss it and hope to someday return to it. Keep kickin ass on those WODS!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life December 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

The chobani black cherry flavor is my FAVORITE!!!! Too bad I can’t find it in every grocery store, so when I do I stock up!!!

Bayley December 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

For anyone who wants to try CrossFit but doesn’t want to break the bank, you can do it on your own. Yes, really. They have an entire website that will help you figure everything out (www.crossfit.com), including videos of every single exercise in every single WOD. It’s incredibly helpful, and free. I have been doing CF for 2.5 (including through my pregnancy) and have never once set foot in a “box.” Everything can be done, with some slight modifications some days, at a regular gym. Just get creative. In my opinion, this is the best deal in the world.

Tina December 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Great advice!

Sarah S. December 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm

@Bayley: Thanks, Bayley! I’ll check it out!

Corrie Anne December 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

The suck it up and go advice is great for a LOT of things!!! I love hearing about your experiences. Makes me feel prepared for when I get a chance — hopefully this spring — to check it out! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Literally cannot wait to try crossfit someday. Murphy is such a muffin. And the black cherry flavor = the bomb diggity.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Great advice! I also think that having a trainer who knows his/her stuff can also motivate anyone to just suck it up and go. Guess it depends what floats each person’s boat, ya know?

Helpful info!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 15, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Ive never tried Crossfit.

But I have tried random ingredients like shrooms, beans, veggies, etc…and your food looks GREAT. Those shrooms are speaking to me in that bowl of yours.

Laura December 15, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I was really scared to start because I was afraid I would hurt myself due to bad form. I’ve heard that some gyms rely less on form and just push you to do more more more. I’m really happy with the gym I am at because they have actually made me decrease my weight in some instances and really focus on form.

Honestly, I think if someone doesn’t have any corrections for me, they probably aren’t paying attention. It’s impossible to be perfect and I can always do better.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ December 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm

i love chobani and fruit. I had plain with a pear today and it is seriously the best afternoon pick me up.
    thank you for featuring more healthy snack ideas. for awhile i was relying on packaged snacks to get me through the day but now i pack my bag with nuts, fruits, yogurt and whole grain crackers with peanut butter to try to keep up with your challenge. you are a great inspriation!

Sara December 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Do you crossfit and run everyday?! I want to try crossfit and make it my only workout. Is that not enough? Thanks!!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) December 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm

SOmetimes random ingredients make the best meals. Last night I made a bowl of rice, shrimp, sauteed vegetables and toasted pecans. It was awesome!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’ve really wanted to try crossfit since you’ve been talki g about it so much! It’s a great way to mix things up from just weights at the gym!

Amanda December 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Love Murphy in the background of your yogurt pictures. =)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love going to Starbucks to study! Treating myself to a latte makes studying a lot less tedious. :D

Rachel Wilkerson December 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love black cherry Chobani! Just out of curiosity, why did you photograph it on the floor?

lisa {Smart Food and Fit} December 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I’ve never tried Crossfit. Last year I went to a Crossfit studio but at that time my body wasn’t ready for that type of training since I was in therapy for my knee. Though, I can’t wait to try it now that I’m in better shape.

I took it a few months and passed, just take the online practice quiz and if you understand the core concepts of the questions from that quiz, you’ll do fine. Just memorize the chapter on fitness assessments and on dynamic postural assessment – ch. 5. If you want you can send me a message and I can tell you what type of questions they asked me. I passed on my first try. Good Luck!

Mary December 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Tina, be aware their practice questions aren’t as helpful as they promote them to be, study, study, study!

Katie December 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Why ae you working out twice daily now? Planning to run the VS runway or something??

Tina December 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Because I want to! :)

Katie December 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I meant walk the runway, oops!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I always get soy too, and i feel like it foams better than regular milk!

Tina December 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Yes! That too! :)

Heidi December 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Just suck it up and go has become my fitness motto for the past week heh. It’s hard going this time of year to do anything!

Tina December 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I totally agree!

Theodora December 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Ahem. Is that your own blog open on your iPhone? :)

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 15, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I am going to get a soy latte the next time I am at Starbucks! I love the suck it up attitude when it comes to working out. I think it’s super cool that you are trying something new. :)

Kate December 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Crossfit intimidates me! I’ve heard mixed things about it, and there’s no way in hell I can afford it, but I’d like to try it once just to see what it’s about.

Ashley December 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I just signed up for the Intro to Crossfit classes! Start on Jan 5th.. Nervous but excited!

Khushboo December 16, 2011 at 12:47 am

I love soy milk in my coffee- it definitely makes it more creamy and there’s something about even the unsweetened kind which reduces my urge to sweeten it! Crossfit sounds insane in a great way! I should see whether any gyms in Mumbai offer it!

Lorin December 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

You’re two-a-days are super inspiring! Have fun! Have you ever tried body rock? I did one video for it and it was super hard! I know you’re doing cross-fit now but whenever you feel like changing it up, body rock is effective too.

Tina December 16, 2011 at 6:57 am

I haven’t, but I heard it’s a great workout!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee December 16, 2011 at 7:14 am

Mmmm your lunch looks so good!! Black cherry chobani is my favorite too, with pineapple in a close second. Good luck with your studying! :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 16, 2011 at 7:31 am

Wild Cherry Chobani is my favorite!

Katie December 16, 2011 at 8:21 am

Last time I checked those that work out twice daily are models or have some type of eating disorder.

Tina December 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

@Katie: I think it depends on the individual. Everyone is different. You really shouldn’t go around and make assumptions just because someone workouts twice in one day.

Becky @ Fit Chick on the FLy December 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

Black Cherry Cho is my absolute favorite favorite…by far the best flavor in my opinion :-)

Stacey December 16, 2011 at 9:16 am

You should try a vegan mac and cheese – it has no actual cheese but uses nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor. I am not vegan, but tried a recipe and used the yeast and regular milk and I have to say it was not bad! I did the breadcrumb topping and baked it and while it may not be exactly “regular” mac and cheese, it was pretty darn tasty with pretty much no fat and loads more protein! Vegweb.com has tons of recipes…

Maria December 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

Gotta try chia seeds. OK, i might skip banana for the first try but I really do wonder what it tastes like. Tempting to play a bit with flavors :)

sarah s January 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

in this post you mention 2 nasm cpt apps- would you recommend one over the other if you had to choose just one of them? i am planning to take the exam in march but don’t think i want to buy 2 apps. thanks!