• Coast-to-Coast

December 27, 2011

Hello and greetings from Seattle!

Mal and I arrived safe and sound a little while ago. Now, we’re waiting for his luggage (he checked his snowboard boots and bindings), so I figured I’d blog while we had some downtime.

Our day started bright and early (aka in the middle of the night) with a 2:45 AM wake-up call. (I’m pretty sure it was the earliest I’ve ever woken up for a flight.) A cab arrived at our house at 3:15 AM, so Mal and I made sure that we were completely packed up and ready to go, so all we needed to do was shower and get dressed in the morning.

Things went as planned and we arrived at the airport a little before 4:00 AM. We whizzed through airport security, so Mal and I had a plenty of time to spare before boarding our first flight of the day.

This meant that we had time for Starbucks, so I ordered an iced soy latte to get my day started on the right foot.

Mal and I drank our iced lattes and played Words With Friends while we waited to board our flight to Charlotte. I can’t remember why exactly we chose Charlotte for a connecting flight, especially since it’s not really on the way to Seattle, but I sort of remember our tickets being dirt cheap. I guess it makes sense then. Plus, we arrived in Seattle at 1:30 PM (PST), so ya can’t beat that!

On the flight, I read my new book: A Pug’s Tale.

A couple of months ago, the author herself emailed me to see if I wanted to read her book. A book about pugs? Obviously, I did, so she sent me a complimentary copy. I’m about halfway through so far, and it’s really cute. If you love pugs, you’ll love this book.

Breakfast

When we landed in Charlotte, Mal and I immediately went in search for food. We were starving. Thankfully, our terminal had a great little bagel bakery in it, so we stopped there to order breakfast.

I ordered an egg and cheese sandwich on a whole wheat bagel. I’m not sure if I was super hungry or what, but this particular egg sandwich tasted amazing. Apparently, I really savored each bite because Mal made a joke about how slowly I ate it. (I think I was still half asleep when I was eating it.)

Lunch

Our second flight of the day (to Seattle) departed at 10:30, so I planned to purchase lunch on the plane. Unfortunately, US Airways wasn’t able to restock their menu items, so they ran out of meals by the time they reached my row. Wicked bummer. I ended up with a package of Blueberry Pomegranate Trail Mix, which was really delicious, but not the lunch I had planned on.

With it, I drank some seltzer.

And watched The Hangover II, which was pretty much the original movie with plot variations, but it kept me entertained for part of the flight.

After not eating a proper lunch and it being nearly dinnertime on the East coast, Mal and I are famished when we arrived in Seattle. Our first stop: FOOD + BEER at West 5!

There, I drank a couple of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales.

IMG_0003 (600x800)IMG_0004 (800x600)

And ate half of a tuna melt and a salad with dressing on the side.

Now, Mal and I are hanging out and relaxing at his sister’s and fiancé’s house before dinner.

Stay tuned! More adventures to come!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm

oh gosh, I would have been so upset if they were supposed to have food but didn’t! Haha I probably would have tried to get some miles or something out of it! Granted, I get very unpleasant when I’m hungry…

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine December 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Good food tastes even better when you’re hungry/starving/ready to knaw on your own arm ;)

Lauren December 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I hate when those things happen during travel. The same thing happened to me on our last flight and by the time we landed I was so hungry I nearly fainted. Glad you guys had a safe trip and have a blast in Seattle.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups December 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wow, what an early wake-up! Glad you made it safe and sound. Have fun!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Have a wonderful time! I always wanted to go to Seattle. I been to Bellingham, which is gorgeous. Take lots of pictures! I can’t wait to see them!

Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

It’s always the worst when something runs out on a flight that you were counting on. At least you got to make up for it with lots of beer and good food! Have a great ski trip :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Glad you made it safe! That is definitely the butt-crack of dawn. Holy smokes, I bet ya’ll are tired!

Have a fun night :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm

oh man, that is a LONG day of travel. bagel egg sammies are my favorite. i have always thought they tasted better in the airport!

Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race December 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I guess a Pug’s Tale is on my short list of items to read now.

I was just in Charlotte last week. Easy airport to get around too.

Enjoy SEA!!!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm

How fun! Are you just out there visiting family?

Tina December 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yep! And skiing! :)

Allison December 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Words with Friends is the best pastime :P Who ever knew that “qi” is an acceptable word but “june” isn’t?!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ December 27, 2011 at 9:02 pm

So glad you got there safe and sound! Have an amazing vacation and do a run for me!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm

glad you got there safe and sound! hope you enjoy your time skiing and spending time with family!

jana December 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Wow what a day so far! Flying to the West Coast from the East makes for such a long day, but at least it will give you extra time to enjoy with your family!

Army Amy* December 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I hope you got some sleep on your flights. That’s a lot of travel!*

Sarah S. December 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm

That makes me headache-y exhausted just thinking about it. I bet you sleep good tonight. I bet you miss Murph already… I miss his sweet face in these pics. :-) Have a great time!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 27, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I need to get my hands on that pug book!

Claire December 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Charlotte is where I live :) So funny as a long time reader to see you were in my city!

Sana December 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What a fun day!!! I thought Hangover II was super funny!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio December 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Yay so fun! I hope y’all have a blast!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Glad you made it there safe and sound. Bummer about the plane not restocking!! But I love tuna melts, so I think I would be happy to wait for it. :) Not really, though. When I’m hungry I’m not very optimistic, lol.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee December 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm

That is so unfair! You should demand a refund. By the way, that book looks so cute. I should order it. :) Have an amazing trip!

Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm

If you’re looking for restaurant suggestion, The Dish is one of the best breakfast places I’ve ever eaten at! It’s somewhat by Greenlake in Seattle. Worth a visit if you an!

Jen December 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Gosh, why on earth would you fly through Charlotte? That seems like adding a couple hours on an already long flight!!

Tina December 28, 2011 at 12:17 am

The tickets were cheap and we got into Seattle in the early afternoon! :)

Deb @ wiseupslimdown December 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Welcome to Seattle! Pretty nasty day weather-wise for your arrival. If you want to try a great Italian restaurant that is a lot of fun check out Bizarro in the Wallingford neighborhood.

Hope you have a great time!

Nancy December 27, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’m moving to Seattle in March. Hope you can recommend great eating and fun places. I picked up the “Pug Book” at Target store in the fall. Enjoy your visit.

Joan December 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I think Charlotte is one of the prettiest airports I’ve been to.
    Last time I flew, they ran out of food too. It’s disappointing when you are planning on that food!
    Hope you guys have lots of snow up there, and lots of fun.

Khushboo December 27, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Being in an airplane with limited food options- what a nightmare!

Michelle December 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Yay! You’re in my old stomping grounds. LOL I used to hang out in the West Seattle Junction a LOT when I was a teen.
    Hope you have a blast skiing!

Jamie@everydaydolce.com December 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm

All of the food in this post looks so yummy! I am a big fan of egg and cheese bagel sandwiches…you just can’t go wrong! Have a fun trip :)

Cassie December 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I always hate how hungry I get after a long flight – somehow all that sitting on the plane (maybe boredom?) makes me ravenous! But I’m curious, you mentioned how you were famished upon arrival in Seattle, but then you had half of a sandwich and a dry salad (or rather, salad with dressing on the side, of which I assume very little was used)…not exactly what I would go for if I were describing myself as starving. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but when you document your meals on a blog for your readership, and then eat so little when you’re self-described as “starving,” it really sends a distorted message. Maybe think harder about which words you use, especially if they completely don’t match up with the pictures/reality.

Clare @ SweetnSimple December 28, 2011 at 2:15 am

Ooo have fun! I’d love to read that pug book.. so cute :)

Rebeka December 28, 2011 at 2:35 am

YAY for Seattle (p.s. I live here and I love it). West 5 is a good choice for lunch – delicious sandwiches – and it’s in West Seattle is one of my favorite neighborhoods. I hope that you guys have a great time while you’re here. And if you’re looking to get a little crazy in West Seattle, the indian restaurant across the street from the West 5 (the Maharaja) turns into a sweet divey bar at night. Ha!
    P.S. if you come across any “double mountain” beer while you’re here you HAVE to try it. It’s seriously amazing (made in Hood River, Oregon). Cheers!

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop December 28, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m just stuck on the fact that they ran out of meals! And you say it so , nonchalantly! I would have been really PO’d and I’m a pretty calm and passive person. Oy! Well, have fun on your trip and I’m glad your flight went well!
    ~Ang

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

That stinks that they ran out of food on the plane, but so glad you are there now and made it safely. Have a great time! :)

Dani December 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

Celebration Ale is my FAVORITE beer ever!!!! Glad you enjoyed it!

Nicole @ Giraffelegs December 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

Wow that is one exhausting day!!
    I hope you and Mal have a great trip!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

That’s sucks that they ran out of food on the plane! I would have been peeved! :P I hope you got some sort of compensation!

Alaina December 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Oh man, Seattle is top on my list for vacations! Have a great time!!

Lindsay December 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I find early morning flights = food is essential. And good food at that! Glad you found the delish bagel, although the in flight meal was a disappointment! At least you had some yummy beer to look forward to!

Kelly December 28, 2011 at 7:36 pm

That is so cool that the author of that book contacted you! I’ve read Pug Hill and loved it, now I definitely need to read that one!

Emily December 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Wow. 2:45 am is REALLY early. I hope Seattle is treating you really well!

PS: I got your book as a Christmas gift from my brother! :)

eryka December 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hey! You’re in West Seattle! Very cool. West 5 has a pretty good happy hour. If you like beer, try something from Georgetown Brewery, or better yet, go visit the Brewery. It’s only a couple of miles away. I like Manny’s Beer the best.
    Favorite West Seattle food–MUST TRY–Bakery Noveau. All things are incredible. It’s hust down the street from West 5. And the best burger in town is at Jak’s, across the street from West 5.

Brittney December 31, 2011 at 2:33 am

Like other comments above me… YAY WEST SEATTLE!!!! I have been reading your blog for quite some time now and it is fun to know you are in my town!