• The Right Way to Foam Roll

November 1, 2011

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen this tweet from me last Friday afternoon:

2011-10-31_1448

I bought my foam roller a little over a year ago, and I have since used it incorrectly. Great job with that foam roller, Tina.

As you probably remember, I spent last Friday and Saturday at a live workshop with the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) to get some hands-on experience in preparation for taking the personal trainer certification exam. After a long morning lecture about flexibility training and foam rolling (aka self-myofascial release), we took to the floor to put these concepts into practice.

You probably already know this, but just in case you don’t, foam rolling is a flexibility technique where you roll your muscles over a cylindrical piece of foam using your body pressure to massage knots out of your muscles. “By applying gentle force to an adhesion or ‘knot,’ the elastic muscle fibers are altered from a bundled position (that causes the adhesion) into a straighter alignment with the direction of the muscle.” [source] Basically, if you foam roll the tight muscle, it will help restore the fibers back to an optimal level of function and your muscle will work much more efficiently.

That sounds well and good, right? Well, technically, rolling the muscle isn’t the best way to get out those knots.

Ok, let’s stop and think about what rolling an angry, tight muscle probably does to it. Yep, that’s right. Rolling a hard hunk of foam over your already pissed-off muscles probably isn’t going to make them better. (I’ve only ever rolled my muscles with a foam roller, so this information was news to me!)

Instead of rolling the foam roller over your muscle, you want to “search and destroy” (as the instructor at the workshop explained) the tender spots in your muscles and hold (not roll) that pressure for a minimum of 30 seconds. (It may take longer, depending on your ability to consciously relax your muscle. If it doesn’t seem like you’re making progress on a tight spot, contract the muscle and then relax it. You should definitely feel something then!)

Ok, here’s a great example of how to foam roll your calves:

SMRCalves

Place a foam roller under one leg, positioned under the middle of your calf. Take the opposite leg and lay it beside the leg on the foam roller, or to increase pressure, cross the opposite leg over the top of the leg on the foam roller. Slowly roll up and down the calf muscle searching for a tender spot to “destroy” and then apply pressure to it. Does that make sense? Don’t roll the tender spot; just apply pressure until you feel the knot relax.

So, guys, no more rolling with your foam roller. Got it? Good. If you have questions, let me know!

Snack

After breakfast, I went to NuVal for a few hours. I always get hungry for a snack around 10:00/10:30, so I grabbed a protein shake for the road. In the mix: vanilla protein powder, canned pumpkin, chocolate almond milk, and pumpkin pie spice. The flavor reminded me a lot of my Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf! Mmm!

2011-11-01_1312

Lunch

After my time at NuVal, I headed home for lunch. On the menu: chicken salad with red grapes, celery, and mayo. Isn’t this the best way to eat chicken salad? I think so. I added the chicken salad to some mixed greens for extra volume and nutrients.

On the side, I had a whole wheat Bagel Thin with peanut butter and chocolate chips on top.

I also drank a mini chocolate-flavored Zico coconut water. I’m having some serious chocolate cravings today. Give me chocolate!!!

2011-11-01_1312_001

I’m off to walk the pug! He’s got ants in his pug pants today!

Meg November 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Awesome info – thanks! Have you ever heard of this thing called the rumbleroller??? I just saw it on this website – it looks hilarious and I wonder if it would be better than a foam roller.

Lori Lynn November 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the advice about the foam roll. I didn’t know that either- I’ve been doing it wrong too!

Ann @ Turbo Teacher November 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Great advice ~ Thanks Tina!!

Cait's Plate November 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I REALLY need a foam roller. Every time you talk about it or blog about it I just want it!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Woohoo I”ve been rolling the right way! I have always just thought of it as a “deep tissue massage” or an accupressure treatment – you find the knots, hold pressure on it and then rub it out after 30 seconds to a minute. Otherwise your muscles haaate you! I’m sure there are so many people out there doing it wrong. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Ahh great tips!! I definitely don’t do it the right way all the time. I think a few times I have but normally I just roll the crap out of it. Lol no more!! Thanks :D

Claire November 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Yep, you’re right! I’ve been foam rolling for years and although the “rolling” part always feel good, the part where I stay on a spot is always excruciating. But I know that it’s good for me

I take my foam roller with me everywhere. Oh, and a tennis ball…they work really well :-)

Kathleen @ Ocean Full of Lemons November 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Wow, chocolate flavored coconut water? So how does it taste? We buy coconut water all the time but I’ve NEVER seen chocolate flavored??? (And I’m a choco-holic!).

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

OH my goodness- I’ve been wanting to buy a foam roller and if I did I would’ve totally sued it wrong. Ugh. Thanks for sharing. I really need to make this a part of my training.
    And thanks for making me crave chocolate now too! ha! :)

Hannah November 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

My roommate recently introduced me to your blog and our whole apartment is obsessed! However, I have been a bit jealous hearing about the training you have been doing for the marathon. I haven’t been able to run lately due to a leg injury. Everyone has been telling me to use a foam roller but I had no idea what to do with it. I was SO excited to see your most recent post. Thank you so much for all of your great ideas! You truly are an inspiration for our apartment :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I really want to buy a foam roller! Thanks for the explanation! I will definitely be saving this for future reference! :)

Maureen November 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I love that chocolate coconut water…it hits the spot when I have a chocolate craving. Your chicken salad looks delicious. I am making the same thing for a quick dinner tomorrow night.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I need chicken salad in my life before winter comes in with full force!

Ella, RD November 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Super awesome tip about the foam roller, and so true. I use a baseball (yes ouch) on my back against the wall in this exact manner and it’s the only thing that helps manage my chronic pain.

Khushboo November 2, 2011 at 1:36 am

Great tips- I’m guilty of rolling but I must say, it somehow still does the trick!

Koko @ Koko Likes November 2, 2011 at 1:39 am

Genius about the foam roller, I was always thinking rolling maybe wasn’t the best idea!! Now I know!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me November 2, 2011 at 6:28 am

That’s really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) November 2, 2011 at 7:00 am

This advice on foam rolling will be so good for me – Thank you! I just signed up for my first race ever (an 8K), and in training, I’m learning about muscle soreness, tightness, and all that fun stuff.
    I will definitely get on this.

Hope November 2, 2011 at 7:56 am

Great info! Thank you for sharing!

That chicken salad looks delicious! I haven’t had chicken salad in such a long time. I need to change that :)

Amy Still November 2, 2011 at 8:16 am

I would be totally lost without the following: chocolate, my foam roller and my pugsley, Benny.

Emily November 2, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks for the rolling info. Despite only running2 miles yesterday, the IT band was a little tight and I (inappropriately, apparently) rolled it this morning!

SeekingAmy November 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

Good to know, I have been rolling wrong!

Miriam November 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

That’s a good timing since I bought one on Saturday : I couldn’t walk properly 2 days after an intense legs workout and I wanted to do something about it! It did help! I actually love the versatility of this. I’m glad I finally bought it!

Laura November 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

For calves, I love using a rubber baseball – so much easier to get into the spots between the calf muscles. And easier to transport.

Ashleigh @ simplehonestreal.blogspot.com November 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I feel like I always foam roll wrong :) That shake looks good!

Julia November 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Good to know! I assume this means it’s the same with the Tiger Tail?

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 4, 2011 at 8:44 am

Thanks so much for this! I had been doing too much rolling and not nearly enough destroying.