• The Most Irish Bar in Boston

November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran’s Day and 11/11/11!!! :mrgreen:

Last night, Mal and I met up with some friends at The Black Rose for dinner and drinks. I haven’t been to The Black Rose in years, so I was excited. It’s a really chill bar with a friendly, upbeat vibe.

I’m also pretty sure The Black Rose is the most Irish bar in all of Boston.

Guinness is always on draft, the menu includes traditional Irish fare, such as homemade stews and corned beef, and there’s live Celtic music seven days a week. You also hear a lot of Irish accents around the bar—from the wait staff and bartenders to the patrons themselves. It pretty much has all of the elements of neighborhood pub in Ireland. My mom’s side of the family is Irish, so I felt right at home.

I loved that a “Pint of Guinness” was on the appetizer menu.

I wasn’t in the mood for beer last night (the horror!), so I ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

I also wasn’t very hungry after eating such a late lunch, so Mal and I shared a plate of buffalo chicken wings for dinner.

My evening also included a second glass of white wine.

When I went to the bathroom, my friends Jon and Jim had a little fun with my camera:

Yes, ladies, they are both single.

This morning’s breakfast was oatmeal and coffee. I know you’ve seen it before on CNC, but did you know that this combo is packed with nutrients that speed recovery and boost your immune system? According to Runner’s World, “Steel-cut oats provide loads of carbs to refuel muscles. And research shows that pairing those carbs with caffeinated coffee boosts glycogen stores even more than eating carbs alone.” Pretty neat, right? All the more reason to enjoy oats and coffee for breakfast!

Save $20 on RNR Registration

In celebration of 11/11/11, the Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon Series is offering a special incentive to register for one of their races. For today only, SAVE $20 when you register between 11am – 11pm PST!

Be Thankful Challenge

I’m thankful to live near my mom and sister, so we can get together fairly often. (They’re both coming over for brunch on Sunday!)

What’s your family’s heritage?

P.S. My friend Jon designed these sneakers, and I really want a pair! Either Dexter or Breaking Bad!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I’m a mix — Polish, Lithuania, Italian, Germany, etc.! BUT, I look definitely LOOK Polish. :-)

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes November 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Your friends crack me up! Love that kind of humor. And those Dexter shoes are bad ass!!

Kayleigh November 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Just took advantage of that $20 save and finally registered for my first half marathon! Past attempts have failed, probably because I did not actually sign up for them! Now I know I really have to run this thing! Can’t wait to use your advice and training to get my run on!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm

That pub looks fun! It kind of reminds me of this really British pub in my hometown that I love to go to.

Jen @ luck&funny November 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I love the Black Rose! It’s always a stop when we make it to Boston. Hmmm, might be time to book a flight?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I have to say, the Buffalo Wings look funny, but I bet they tasted good!! I love Boston, I’ve only been there twice but I really love it!!

Olivia November 12, 2011 at 4:29 am

I LOVE the Black Rose! When my family visited Boston two summers ago, we made a point to go there a couple of times. Their Irish Stew (if they still have it) is amaaaaaaazing!

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Ahahahahahhaa hysterical photos of your friends. It’s always fun to look at the ridiculous pictures people take of themselves. I remember when I was younger & my friends had sweet 16 parties, some of them put disposable cameras at each table so people could just snap photos of themselves all night. If only I knew how those photos turned out…

Tricia November 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

German and Irish!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries November 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I went to The Black Rose Friday night for my first weekend out in Boston!! I had the best time :) My best friend and I danced around the floor while the Irish band played music. It was such a great time, maybe we’ll have to go and grab a drink sometime! :)

~Christy @ wonderofallthings November 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Ah, The Black Rose! We were in Boston visiting this past summer and wanted to go there but it was closed for a special event…AAARRRGHH! Very sad for travelers, but glad to see it’s alive and well. LOVE it : )

Laila November 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I would really like to buy The Walking Dead chucks for my sister? Know how we can get a pair?

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop November 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Yay now I have an excuse for my daily oats and coffee habit!
    My heritage is Irish, English, Polish, German, and Russian… And my hubs is Italian, Swedish, and German… So we can pretty much fit in anywhere! LoL