• School Sport Rivalries

November 18, 2011

Later this afternoon, Mal and I are off to New Haven, Connecticut for the Harvard-Yale game. Mal’s dad is a Harvard alum, so it’s a yearly tradition to get together and watch the game.

Tonight, we’re meeting family and friends for a pre-game celebration and then spending the night in New Haven. Tomorrow, we’ll wake up early for some mid-morning tailgating before the start of The Game. I’m excited for the game, but I’m even more psyched that the weather will be fairly nice tomorrow. It’s usually freeeeeezing at the Harvard-Yale game!

harvard-vs-yale-football-resized-600

As you probably know, the Harvard-Yale game is one of the biggest sports rivalries in college sports. As of 2010, the Harvard Crimson and Yale Bulldogs have met 127 times since the first game in 1875. Yale currently leads the series 65-54-8, but they haven’t won a game since 2006! Go Harvard!

With all of this rivalry talk, I thought it might be fun to go through some of my past school sports rivalries, especially since I know a bunch of you guys live in the northeast and might have similar ones. Let the trash talking begin! ;-)

High School

I went to Littleton Jr./Sr. High School in Littleton, Massachusetts. Our mascot was the tiger. We had a lot of sports rivals back then (it really just depended on the team), but the one I think most of us could agree on was Maynard High School because they had the same mascot. Our colors were blue and gold and theirs were orange and black, but it was still the same mascot. We referred to them as the “generic tigers.” We also killed them in soccer.

Littleton%20Tiger%20Logo 50194_130201150364342_8810_n

College

I didn’t pay too much attention to sports at Union—mostly because I was too busy boozing-face—but, on occasion, I’d attend a hockey game. The Union Dutchmen were a good team and won quite a few games, so it was always fun to watch them.

The big hockey rivalry back then was with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). One of the Union traditions during hockey games involved throwing oranges onto the ice after the first goal scored by the Dutchmen. I never participated, but I always found it amusing.

Union_TeamCelebrate

Grad School

It seems like Boston College has a lot of sports rivalries: Holy Cross, Notre Dame, Clemson. I guess it depends who you ask. I love BC, but I will always root for ND!

bostoncollege

Breakfast

Mmm! Delicious breakfast this morning!

I mixed 1/4 cup of Kodiak Cake Mix with 1/2 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder and 1/4 cup of water to make a pancake, which I topped with berries and maple syrup.

I also drank a glass of iced coffee mixed with eggnog.

Be Thankful Challenge

I’m thankful for The Ellen Show. It makes me laugh, cry, and want to be a better person.

Who was your school sports rival?

P.S. Check out my friend’s ‘Save Community’ posters! They’re so cool! I want one! (Thank goodness the show isn’t really canceled!)

Lu November 18, 2011 at 11:58 am

I went to the University of Kansas. Let’s just say I have no use for K-State (that other school), Mizzou or Oklahoma. Especially around basketball season. I love The Ellen Show.

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm

@Lu: I was just getting ready to respond the opposite. I’m a Mizzou grad and we really dislike Kansas. But let’s both agree that OU is awful! :)

Jaime November 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

@Jennifer: Hee, Mizzou grad here, as well. No use for KU or Oklahoma. Interested to see what changes with all of the SEC stuff. Grad school is Missouri State and really, sports are probably played here but I spend so much time working, I don’t even know!

Alaina November 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I went to Nipmuc Regional for high school and our rivalries were either Hopedale or Milford.

For college, I went to Endicott and we were the Gulls. Wooo….I think our rivals were Curry College or Gordon College.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I went to Columbia and the Lions aren’t really known for sports. My family, however, went to Ohio State. They pretty much hate Michigan the most, with Penn State coming in second. I think Penn State might win for biggest rival/they need their asses kicked for protesting non-reporters being fired, this year.

jane November 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm

yay!!! i went to Holy Cross!!!! i live in Fl and no one even knows what it is!

Laura November 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

In college the big deal was when Univ of Portland played Gonzaga in basketball. Other than that I didn’t pay attention. The big rivalry I’m a part of is Oregon vs. Oregon State because its pretty dang hard to ignore. And I’m very thankful I’m not a duck. My husband still follows his high school football team and likes to point out when my school loses. (We went to neighboring high schools). Sometimes I have to remind him that I don’t really care if their football team sucks because I don’t go there anymore.

Katie November 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I am a recent Georgia Tech grad and also a die hard fan. Our biggest rival is Georgia. I am very read for some clean, old fashioned hate next week. Go Jackets!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

As a Clemson Tiger, it was mostly South Carolina. Fried chicken (we refer to gamecocks as chickens) was always a hit at tailgates. However, our biggest ACC rival is GA Tech. On a side note, I’m so happy my Tigers are going to the ACC Championship this year! Woohoo

emily @ the happy home November 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

i find college sports so fascinating! emerson has a quidditch team– if that tells you anything about our dedication to athletics!

Sam November 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I went to University of Miami. Our biggest rival is probably FSU. It is a dirty rivalry…I’d recommend leaving the kids at home for this football game!

Heather November 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

How cool, have fun at the game!

My college was smaller, and our sports teams sucked when I was there, so no fun rivalries for me.

Now the football team is good though and goes to bowl games, go figure!

Claire Z. November 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Cheer! Cheer! Beat New Trier!

(I’m an Evanston girl)

Wendy Irene November 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I see my hubs in the hockey picture! Made me smile. Have a wonderful weekend!

Wendy Irene November 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Oh wait! Is this a new picture? I think I just see his old number :-P

Ellie@fitforthesoul November 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

OoOo have fun Tina! And we were the panthers! In jr. high. And high school, we were the Lancers~but I had like, zero Lancer pride :P We were mainly good at women’s soccer, xcountry, and SOMETIMES got lucky with football.

jackie November 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

two words… “GO DUCKS!”

Rayna November 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

That sounds like tons of fun! I wish I could go to the game, but it sounds like tons of fun!

Rayna November 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Sorry for the redundancy, I accidentally pressed copy and paste instead of cut!

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted November 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I was actually homeschooled through high school, so I never really “got” the whole school spirit thing until college! Even then, our team was nothing to write home about ;) Otterbein’s claim to fame was that they beat Ohio State’s football team in the late 1800′s!

Laura November 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I live in New Haven ! Going anywhere good for happy hour?! :-)

Sierra November 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I’ll be at the game!! We have friends tailgating so we’ll be in the area. It’s my senior year of high school so it’ll probably be my last game :( We have friends looking at colleges in the area from North Dakota so we’re bringing them to the game…maybe i’ll see you there?

Jules November 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm

An infrequent commenter here, but I had to come out of the woodwork to give a shout-out to the Texas A&M/University of Texas rivalry. I think what really makes it so special is the combination of families with generations going to the same school, and so many “families divided” where siblings or spouses went to different schools. The whole family really gets involved. And the game is always on Thanksgiving Day so you have your big meal in the afternoon, take your nap then either head to or turn on the big game. Growing up in Central Texas it was such a part of the culture, then attending one of the schools as an undergrad it was so exciting to be part of the tradition, and later moving out of state after graduation it was something that connected me to strangers in my new home. Its funny that here I am leaving a novel of a comment when some years this one game is the only one I catch all year! I guess it just goes to show the passion that surrounds this rivalry.

Leah November 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Goooo Seahawks! Went to Salve in Newport, RI! Small school.. small teams.. nothing huge.. yet tons of fun! I live really close to New Haven.. love all the comments with great places to try:) They are all on a list and will get crossed off one by one!

Morgan November 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I actually hated sports until I started college and now I am a college football junkie. I went to University of Michigan, so I have no love for Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan State. There is nothing like the atmosphere of college football (or hockey) games. I absolutely love it!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I went to the University of Delaware. Our fball games against West Chester & Villanova were always a big deal!

Mallory @ It's Only Life November 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

i never really followed any of my college’s sports (i went to trinity college- very similar to union!- we weren’t good at anything except squash ;) )

but i did get into college basketball somewhere along the lines (go uconn!)

Kristin November 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm

In high school one of the rivals was Harlan as they always killed us at football. We’ve won 3 times in the last 30 years.
    For college I went to Iowa State so a massive rival is Univ of Iowa (I will root for Iowa but I don’t feel bad when they lose)

Kristin November 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm

@Kristin: I forgot about Nebraska. Extreme dislike for them. ISU doesn’t play them anymore since Nebraska bailed on the Big 12 but it is awesome watching them lose to any team. Especially since I grew up in Western Iowa and the traitors, I mean Western Iowans, would support Nebraska instead of an Iowa school.

Alex November 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I went to Penn State and our sports rivals are any Big Ten team but more recently Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. I would hope that people understand not to judge all Penn Staters just because of the despicable actions of a few. Don’t want to be controversial but if anyone is interested in the POV of a PSU alumni, read this post :)http://healthylifehappywife.blogspot.com/2011/11/so-many-things-to-saybut-cant-find.html

Jessica November 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I am a HUGE Oregon Ducks fan and have been my whole life, now I go to OSU who is one of the Ducks rivals, but will always be a Duck at heart!

Kelly November 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Wait, why do you root for ND? haha- you terrible BC alum :) J/k but seriously, I’m confused haha. I am a big hockey fan so BU is a rivalry of BC in hockey!

Erin @ MyLemonTwist November 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm

LOVE the Ellen show! She is my favorite! I find myself always chuckling when watching her…. and secretly dancing…
    PS. Ran the NYC marathon in 2009 and I’m so happy that you made it! But, honestly how did you recover and jump back onto running so quickly? It’s been two years since I ran it and although I do love running I have staying pretty far away from it. I think for me running with a buddy helped but, now I couldn’t imagine getting on a treadmill do run 6 miles… cheers to you for doing it!

daisy November 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm

aww you are going to my part of town!they r some really great places to eat in new haven. my favorite is temple grille. they have make your own salads with cards at the table and also serve homemade potato chips to everyone. BAR also has great pizza and beer. But you might just be eating at the game

Megan November 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

you grew up in Littleton!?!? NO WAY. I grew up in Harvard!! wow small small world.. love your blog!

BroccoliHut November 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I went to Duke, so our big rival was UNC-Chapel Hill. DUKE BLUE IS THE RIGHT SHADE OF BLUE :)

Shannon O November 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I live right outside new haven. Have fun, it’s a great city with many great restaurants and shops! Check out Bar on Crown Street-delicious thin crust pizza (even mashed potato pizza!) and a unique beer selection! Claires Cornercopia on the green is another amazing place- perfect for breakfast or lunch! Enjoy your weekend in the Elm city :)

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm

That’s the one thing I wish was different about my college–sports aren’t a big deal here! I’ve always thought it would be fun to throw on a jersey and rally for your team in the stands with a huge crowd, but that’s just not the scene here.
    Oh, and Ellen Degeneres is amazing. I’ve always said that if I could hang out with any celeb for a day, it would probably be her. Best day ever.

Amy November 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

I hope you went to Wooster Street for pizza! New Haven is a fun little city – I miss it :(

Allison November 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

I went to BU so I am a Terrier and I guess one of your [Eagle] rivals :P

Jessica Washburn November 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

Why the cake mix? Just curious why you would add that.

runningtobeskinny.com

Tina November 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

It’s pancake mix!

Molly November 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I go to Ohio State so Michigan is definitely our biggest rival…it’s crazy how much we despise Michigan here. I would say Penn State and Wisconsin are also some of our biggest rivals.

Heidi November 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

You grew up in Littleton? I grew up in Fitchburg-not too far away. I’m guessing you’ve been to Kimball’s?! Best ice cream EVER! Whenever I head home in the summer I try to talk someone into going there!

adrienne November 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I think that BC’s are Notre Dame and BU — ND for sports, BU just in general… My boyfriend’s a BC grad, and they DROVE to ND for the BC/ND football game once.