• It’s Time to Rearrange

November 27, 2011

Did anyone else think of this episode of the Brady Bunch when you read my post title? “When it’s time to change, you’ve got to rearrange!” Ok, maybe not. I’m a big dork.

Remember my big plans to redo my office? Well, I decided to save the money and give my office a new look by rearranging the furniture and working with what I already own.

First order of business: get rid of this thing!

Mal and I had no luck finding a place for it in our house, so we put it outside in front of our house with a FREE sign on it. We woke up this morning and it was gone. I’m glad someone snagged it because I really didn’t want it to go to the dump—it was still in good condition.

Simply removing that huge piece of furniture from my office instantly made it look bigger—well, at least more open.

The new set-up:

Mal and I brought up a cabinet from the basement for storage and moved the desk to the other side of the room. I swear, it makes the space look a zillion times more open (and less stressful). I’m planning to rearrange the frames on the wall and buy a couple of accessories to spruce it up, so I’ll be sure to post a picture of the final product once it’s done. I absolutely love the new layout!

Do you want to know what sparked this whole office redesign? A new Keurig machine!!

Foodbuzz selected me to receive the new Starbucks coffee K-Cup Portion Packs along with a Keurig machine. (So cool! Review coming soon!) There was no room on our kitchen counters for it, so Mal suggested putting it in my office. He doesn’t drink hot coffee, so I’d be the only one using it. His idea made perfect sense, but, at the time, there was nowhere to put, so we rearranged the office and added the cabinet.

I love, love, love the new look and feel of my office. It makes me excited to go to work each morning!

Breakfast

I woke up hungry this morning, so I fed Murphy and then immediately cooked breakfast. Mal mentioned cooking eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning, but I couldn’t wait to eat. Plus, I wasn’t really in the mood for a savory breakfast, so I whipped up a bowl of sweet potato oatmeal using leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner. Also in the mix: ground flaxseed meal, mushroom powder, pumpkin pie spice, and a scoop of Teddie peanut butter. (Mal didn’t care that I ate breakfast without him—more bacon for him!)

Weekly Workouts

Here’s this week’s workouts:

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: 4-mile run
    • Tuesday: Body Pump
    • Wednesday: Off
    • Thursday: 3-mile run + strength training
    • Friday: Ultimate Conditioning
    • Saturday: Run + Total Body Conditioning

Lots happening today, including possibly getting our Christmas tree!

lynn @ the actor's diet November 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

rearranging a room is such a great way to increase “flow” – i sound like my feng shui obsessed dad…

Olivia @ PeanutButterNerd November 27, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oooh lucky free Keurig! Jealoussss

Sandi November 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

Congrats on new coffee maker! Yum! How was the reunion? I always chicken out on going to mine!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love my Keurig! It’s so easy and convenient to use!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish November 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

Love the new look of your office!

lauren@spicedplate November 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

oooh! coffee is pretty rockin’. I love rearranging and cleaning — I do that to my studio space if I’m feeling stuck on a piece that I’m working on.

Cindy November 27, 2011 at 11:43 am

I got the new Starbucks k-cups. I got them in Breakfast blend. Totally YUM. I’m not a fan of the price though, but I did have a coupon.

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

the new office layout looks awesome! I love how rearranging furniture is all it takes sometimes to give a room a completely different look!

Khushboo November 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

A new office layout will surely stimulate new energy :)

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

I did think of that Brady Bunch song…that concerns me. Hahaha…
    Nice office!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

i’m totally re-arranging our basement this week… well, maybe it’s just first time arranging seeing as it’s been piles of boxes up until now. we have so much livable space that has been wasted with clutter until now.

have a great sunday!

Cait's Plate November 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

We just put our Christmas tree up and finished up decorating it :)

Liz November 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Yay – a Keurig! We’ve had one for about 4 years & couldn’t be without it now! :D

Andrea (@FrSeed2Stomach) November 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm

It’s amazing what a quick re-org can do. One of the organization ladies on OpenSky has a cool bento box system by rubbermaid for sale that might help the effort. LOVE the way you used leftover TG sweet potatoes in your morning oats! Great idea. :-)

Heather November 27, 2011 at 6:42 pm

You should paint your desk — it would make it feel brand new !

Tina November 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Mal is going to refinish it this summer. It was his mom’s before she passed away, so he wants to make sure he does a really great job on it!

Kelly November 28, 2011 at 12:45 am

@Tina: I second the furniture refinishing. That can give a piece of furniture a whole new look, especially if you coordinate the colors with other pieces in the room. I also think that since you’ve moved the desk, rearranging the frames is smart. If it were me, I’d probably space them around the room. For some reason having too much to look at on one wall makes me incredibly easily distracted. I also sometimes like swapping art from one room to another to give multiple rooms a new look and feel.

Alaina November 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I love rearranging my room around every few months. It does give the room a “new” feel. I really want one of those medal holders too! Very nice. :-)

Hope you had a good holiday!

Shana November 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I can just hear Peter squeeking out that song! If I had a coffee machine in my office, I might NEVER get up from my chair. Sometimes heating up my coffee is the most exercise I get at work!

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats November 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m been dying/craving an office in our house…but it is just too small, with two kids taking up the extra bedrooms. Someday when we move????

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I’m dying to try the Starbucks KCups!

Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted November 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Makes your office seem super-office-y! :)

Allison November 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I always love making use of things I already have- I feel so savvy! Your new arrangement looks awesome and the addition of the new coffee maker is fun :)

Alli @ alli learns life November 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

I loove my Keurig! I didn’t realize Starbucks made K-cups though. Must go fing those :)

Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) November 28, 2011 at 10:52 am

Are the new Starbucks K-cups recyclable? I’ve always wanted to invest in a Keurig but hate that the packaging is NOT made of sustainable material. The idea of harming the environment with literally every cup of coffee I drink saddens me. I really hope that they’ve finally changed their packaging! Then I can run out and buy one =P

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

I really like the new set up! Isn’t it amazing what rearranging furniture can do to a room?

Emily November 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

I didn’t initially think of that Brady Bunch episode, but now that song is in my head! ;-)
    Enjoy your Keurig. I love mine!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I love the display rack for all your running medals- where is it from? my brother would love this (thinking of xmas gifts haha)

Tina November 29, 2011 at 6:42 am