• Harvard-Yale Game

November 19, 2011

Harvard won The Game 45 – 7! They kicked some butt!

Game day started with a delicious breakfast at The Riverwind Inn, where Mal and I spent Friday night.

The Riverwind Inn is the quintessential New England bed & breakfast. It’s located in quaint Deep River, Connecticut just outside Essex in the Connecticut River Valley. The original house was built in 1854 and has been operating as an inn since 1985.

The décor was absolutely stunning inside. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a house decorated so beautifully.

During out stay, the current owners, Elaine and Leo Klevens, provided us with a warm and welcoming experience. There were a few empty rooms at the Inn on Friday night, so they upgraded us to a nicer room without any additional charge.

Elaine and Leo also cooked us a fantastic full country breakfast this morning. We started with baked grapefruit, which was, oh, so delicious. I actually loved it so much, I asked Elaine how she made it—it’s so simple! Just section half of a grapefruit, sprinkle brown sugar and drizzle maple syrup on top, and then bake for 30 minutes on 300*F.

The main course was scrambled eggs with spinach and Parmesan cheese, sausage, and a pumpkin spice muffins. All of it tasted amazing. My stomach left the Inn very happy.

After breakfast, Mal and I met the crew to carpool to New Haven for the game. We arrived at the Yale Bowl a little after 10:00 for some epic tailgating.

Those Harvard folks really know how to plan a tailgate!

Everyone arrived with picnic baskets, boxes, and large Tupperware containers full of food, plates, utensils, napkins, cups, condiments, wine glasses, corkscrews, and just about anything else you’d ever need for a tailgate.

IMG_0037 (800x600)IMG_0040 (800x600)

There was also a lot of wine.

And a variety of grillables.

Rumor has it that some bulldog was grilled up!

It was an awesome tailgate– one of the best I have ever attended.

Family pic: my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and me!

M & T!

After a couple of hours of tailgating, it was time to head into the Yale Bowl for the game.

The game was really exciting at first. Yale scored shortly after kickoff and Harvard made a comeback.

However, by the start of the fourth quarter, Harvard had taken a 30 point lead, so the game started to lose a little bit of its excitement. The Crimson was crushing the Bulldogs.

We ended up leaving the game a little early to try to beat the traffic home. We missed another Harvard touchdown, but we already knew who won.

After today, I am exhausted. I’m off to faceplant into bed. Good night!

A woman from Massachusetts was struck and killed by a UHaul truck at the tailgate before this game. I was unaware of the incident until half time when the Yale community paused for a moment of silence for the deceased. It’s a tragedy, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families as well as anyone else affected by this terrible accident. Life is short. Cherish each day and tell those you love just how much you care about them.

Sophie November 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Great recap of your night away. Looks like a really cute B+B!

Also, just so you know, a woman was killed after getting hit by a truck at the Game’s tailgate today, so you may want to change the wording in the first bit…just my own 2 cents.

Tina November 19, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Yes, I heard. :( Yale made an announcement at half time and had a moment of silence. It was very sad, especially losing someone so young.

Lacey @ Lake Life November 20, 2011 at 7:10 am

I just had to check your blog after seeing that on the news just now. So happy to see you’re safe!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife November 20, 2011 at 12:10 am

The baked grapefruit looks so good! Will definitely be trying that!

Sana November 20, 2011 at 12:30 am

I love B&B’s the owners were sooo nice!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 20, 2011 at 12:32 am

the food looks great, and the sky is so blue! love it!!

“grapefruit, sprinkle brown sugar and drizzle maple syrup on top, and then bake for 30 minutes on 300*F.” <– I totally want to try this!

Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops November 20, 2011 at 1:22 am

I’ve never seen a baked grapefruit! I’m definitely trying that.

Living, Learning, Eating November 20, 2011 at 1:56 am

I want to stay in a B&B! And not just for the pumpkin spice muffin, though it looks good. 😛

Did you go to Harvard? Or are you so school-spirity because of when you worked there? That’s so intense!

Aimee November 20, 2011 at 1:59 am

Tailgating looks like so much fun! I’ve only done it once, and the spread was not anything like what you had. :)

Cait's Plate November 20, 2011 at 2:06 am

Oh my gosh that Inn is SO adorable! And SO New England. You have to love that.

So glad you had such a blast and that Harvard won!! (I hail from CT but went to BC and feel like my allegiance is much more with Harvard than with Yale)

Khushboo November 20, 2011 at 3:10 am

Never tried baked grapefruit but may do so later today as I just stocked up! I love baked pineapple with cinnamon!

Clare @ SweetnSimple November 20, 2011 at 6:11 am

Such a beautifully decorated house! Love the look of that brekkie too – pumpkin spice muffins.. mmmm :)

Miz November 20, 2011 at 6:14 am

oooh I miss me some EAST COAST fall.

Texas rocks and all but theres nothing like those football games in the hitofWINTERtocome weather.

Melissa November 20, 2011 at 6:23 am

Isn’t that the game where there was that terrible tailgating accident?

Liz November 20, 2011 at 6:50 am

As a member of the Yale community, I was absolutely devastated and very shaken to hear about the accident during the tailgate yesterday. It is such a loss for the family and having something like that happen on your own turf really shakes you up. I agree, it would be nice if you added a small edit mentioning the accident, if not out of respect for the family, then to remind people of the dangers of alcohol and driving. I am very happy that you and your family remained safe and had a wonderful time

Tina November 20, 2011 at 8:15 am

@Liz: Was the student driving the UHaul charged with drinking and driving?

Liz November 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

@Tina: There is an investigation ongoing, however given the circumstances and the history of binge drinking and arrests at the Yale Bowl tailgating, it is very likely that alcohol was involved somehow. That being said, I am not intending to blame anyone for this incident and I truly hope that it was just a horrific accident. But I do think it needs to be said that mixing alcohol and U-hauls is dangerous and I hope that new regulations are put in place to make the tailgate safer for everyone involved even if that just means changing the way we allow vehicles on the field, etc.

Trish November 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

@Liz: I just saw on the Today show the uhaul was carrying kegs

Liz November 20, 2011 at 9:29 am

@Trish: Yes, that is true. There are so many rumors flying around campus right now, that I don’t want to make any more assumptions (because yes, I have made several) about what happened. I just hope that everyone involved is able to come to terms with the incident and that the family of the woman deceased is getting the support they need. Its just so horrific to think about and it was a very sad day for the Yale community as well.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 20, 2011 at 7:19 am

I love tailgating! And that certainly looks like a much nicer tailgate than I ever did in college! Haha Can’t wait until I start doing grown up tail gates!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 20, 2011 at 8:30 am

I love b&b’s that breakfast looks delcious! I have never heard of baked grapefruit but that sounds amazing! And tailgating is my favorite looks like you guys ha an awesome time!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

Looks like you had a great time! The B&B looks adorable!

Hope November 20, 2011 at 8:47 am

That b&b looks so cute! I love the idea with the grapefruit. Sounds delicious! :)

That is some tailgate spread! Looks like a fun time.

Mallory @ It's Only Life November 20, 2011 at 9:07 am

looks like an awesome day! all those delicious snacks! i get super SUPER snacky during tailgates, thanks to the alcohol…last time I’ve been to one is for a UConn football game, not too far from where you guys were!

Elaine & Leo November 20, 2011 at 9:43 am

Your blog is great. Thank you for the beautiful pictures of the Inn and your great comments on my breakfast and your stay. Maybe next time you can stay longer and explore our great river valley.

Jessica Washburn November 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

I’m SO JEALOUS. I love tailgating, football and Harvard. i just took a tour of Harvard when I was on a 10 day New England/Canada cruise last month. It was so much fun. I would LOVE to go to a game and spend more time there. I also heart bed & breakfasts! You look super cute in your pics btw. :) Glad you had fun and I hope you get the sleep you need. Jessica

Nancy S November 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Glad you had a goog time at the game. I feel very sad for the tragedy that occurred. We went to the Cal vs Stanford game. Had a great time also but I couldn’t get over the amount of alcohol that was being consumed. The B and B looked great!!

Erica D November 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm

What up Tritown! I’m from Essex, went to high school in Deep River, and have always adored New Haven, though I go to school in Colorado now. Glad to see you had a great time, it all looks fantastic!

Stacy @ Say it with Sprinkles November 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m not a huge fan of football unless I’m actually watching a game in person- then it’s a different story! Looks like you had an awesome time tailgating, too!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I heard about the news–so sad!! Cherish each day for sure–never know when it might come to an end.

Glad you had fun, though! :)

Molly @ RDexposed November 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Love the B & B!

Also, it’s horrible to hear that news. I’m unfortunately too familiar with college tragedies and my heart breaks when anything happens on campuses.

Kathleen @ Ocean Full of Lemons November 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Looks like you had a great time! BTW – I love your black puffy vest. I’ve been looking around for one recently but haven’t found one I like. Where did you buy yours? Thanks!

Tina November 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Annie November 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

@Tina: @CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/: @Tina:
    How about your grey boots? Where did you find them?? They are wicked cute!!!

Tina November 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Banana Republic, but a couple of years ago.

Ann @ Turbo Teacher November 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Can’t wait to try baked grapefruit! Delish!

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

What a nice inn…it looks so homey!

Alaina November 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Looks like such a great time! That is the most fancy tailgating party that I’ve ever seen.

When I heard the news that it was a 30-year old Mass women, I immediately thought of you. Glad to know that you are safe!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm

What a fun time! I love all the Trader Joe’s stuff.

Emily @ Life on Food November 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm

That is one crazy tailgate spread. I am super jealous of your wine selection. No tailgate I have ever attended ended up like that.

Anne November 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Glad to hear that you had fun at the game and that you were safe after the tragic truck accident!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ November 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm

that looks like a fabulous little inn! i just love quaint places like that. i feel like they are so romantic!
    i am very sad to hear about the tragedy before the game. thank you for reminding me how short life can be.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm

What a fun day!! Go Harvard!! The story of the woman, is horrible, your right life is precious and we should cherish every moment! Thank you for the reminder.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop November 21, 2011 at 7:40 am

Can you believe I’ve never been tailgating?? I know! And I went to a D1 school!!! Maybe if I still lived near there, I would! Looks like you had a blast!!