• Be Thankful Challenge

November 1, 2011

Good morning! Happy November 1st!

When I think about the month of November, I usually associate it with being thankful. After all, it’s the month when we celebrate Thanksgiving and remember what we are thankful for.

With this in mind, I’ve decided to challenge myself to a month of thankfulness. For every day of November, I will mention something on CNC that I am thankful for.

If you want to participate in my Be Thankful Challenge yourself, all you need to do is ask yourself the question, “What am I thankful for today?” and write it down (or blog about it) for each day of November. It doesn’t need to be life-changing or require a lot of thought. The idea is just to be thankful for something, even if that means being thankful for soft fleece blankets or dark chocolate being on sale at the grocery store.

With that said, I am thankful for my space heater. My office is located in the back of the house, where the heat just doesn’t flow. Instead of cranking up the heat in the house, I just use my space heater to keep warm.

Dinner

Last night’s dinner ruled on all fronts. I honestly can’t say enough good things about this recipe for Simple Roast Chicken. Mal was still talking about it this morning.

IMG_0001 (800x600)-2

Whole chicken = multiple meals = cost-effective.

2011-11-01_0712

This recipe was so easy to make. It required just four ingredients (+ salt and pepper), and I was able to throw the whole thing together in about 15 minutes, which included chopping up an onion and four red potatoes.

IMG_0015 (800x600)-2

The chicken took about an hour to cook in the oven, but Trick-or-Treating was in full swing in our neighborhood, so Mal and I were plenty busy!

IMG_0018 (800x600)-2

We must live in the most popular neighborhood in the town because I’ve never seen so many Trick-or-Treaters in my entire life. The roads were packed with kids and parents.

Obviously, Murphy needed to see all of the action outside of our house. He spent most of the night at his pug post.

IMG_0021 (800x600)-2

Growing up, I lived on a main road, so we never got Trick-or-Treaters at our house (unless you count my cousins). Even living in various parts of Boston, I rarely ever had a kid knock on my door looking for candy on Halloween, so last night was a lot of fun for me. I loved seeing all of the costumes (we had lots of Transformers and princesses come to our door) and meeting new people in our neighborhood.

Even though I bought three huge bags of candy, we still ran out before the night was over. Oops! Next year, we’ll buy twice as much!

IMG_0030 (800x600)-2

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Our chicken turned out wonderfully— moist and tender on the inside, and flavorful and crispy on the outside.

IMG_0034 (800x600)-2

I added the sliced roast chicken, potatoes, and onions to a big salad with balsamic vinegar. So delicious.

2011-11-01_0713

After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of sugar cookies. Obviously.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was pumpkin oatmeal with shredded coconut, almond extract, cinnamon, and a big scoop of Chia Charger nut butter. It was a random mix of ingredients, but they came together well.

IMG_0044 (600x800)-2

I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk and splash of coffee creamer. I’m learning that a little splash of creamer is key to seriously delicious iced coffee (and some of my friendships).

IMG_0046 (800x600)-2

What are you thankful for this year?

P.S. Check out my Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies on Shape.com!

Deva @ Deva by Definition November 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love roasting whole chickens – they’re so easy to make!

Cassie November 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

Great idea Tina. I’m doing a similar type of challenge except that I’m posting a picture of it!

Alyssa November 1, 2011 at 11:48 am

This may sound odd, as I don’t yet have an iPad, but I am SO thankful for the new Autism apps! I worry a lot less about my kids’ futures, because hopefully they’ll be able to use the communication apps. And it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully they’ll grow up and be able to have jobs and live at least semi-independently.

Tina @ Everyday Decisions November 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

What an awesome challenge! I think its a great thing to do for this month. I will definitely join you.
    Today, I am grateful for my job. It may not be exciting or high-end, but at least I have one and it helps provide for us.

Amy Ramos November 1, 2011 at 11:59 am

I am thankful for my car where it can get me to work in 5 minutes!

Heidi November 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I am also thankful for my space heater! Keeps me warm at work all day! :)

honeywhatscooking November 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm

excellent job on the chicken. omg, murphy makes me laugh so hard. i needed one. so cute, it’s like a little baby staring out the window. he’s so inquisitive.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

What a yummy and AWESOME dinner.

I am thankful for my family and my fiance. I can’t believe we’re getting married next year!!

Lauren November 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm

This year has been a major one for me, and I’m thankful for several key things. I switched careers in March (from Corporate Communications Specialist to Copywriter for a luxury beauty site), and I’m extremely thankful for the opportunity to make this move – this job is literally my ‘dream job’!

In addition, I met and fell in love with my boyfriend earlier this year. He’s everything I ever wanted in another person, and I’m so thankful that he’s in my life.

In other news, I’m also thankful for my new jar on maple peanut butter. :)

Rachel~Dressed to Dish November 1, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Your chicken dinner looks amazing and so healthy! I am thankful for my new running shoes – haven’t had new ones in over a year and now I am ready for my up & coming FIRST half marathon!!

Kylie November 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I’m thankful for my dog and my Dad :) Although, I’m thankful for them all the time, every year.

Chase - the CHASE project November 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m so making that chicken this week! Looks so easy!

RunEatRepeat November 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I’m thankful I didn’t give away all my Halloween candy last night ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’m thankful that I get to go for a massage today. My IT band is killing me.

Natalcho @ Tomatoes Rock November 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I am thankful that I seem to be a much stronger person than I thought I was…phew!

Stef @ Living HI November 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Great idea, I’m joining you in the Be Thankful Challenge. My gratitude today goes out to the beach!

Kathleen @ Ocean Full of Lemons November 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I am thankful for the ability to work out this morning. Many people think it’s a chore (and trust me sometimes I do too!) but there are so many people who are not healthy enough or physically capable to work out.

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled November 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I am super thankful for my little family. I love my husband and stepson more than anything and look forward to every day with them. Life couldn’t be better than it is right now.

Ella, RD November 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Roast chicken – so magical! We try to flavor up chicken breasts, but clearly nature made chicken perfectly delicious all on its own. And you can’t fight nature!

Susan November 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m thankful the chemotherapy is working and that my cancer is shrinking. Here’s to living to see another November :)

Tina November 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

@Susan: Wahoo!!! :)

Hillary November 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’m thankful for my job, not only because it pays my rent, but because it’s genuinely rewarding. Being a teacher is a lot of work, and it’s frustrating and stressful and exhausting, but it’s worth it.

Hilary November 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve been doing my own “gratitude project” since march… I keep a gratitude journal and write down one thing I’m thankful for each night. That chicken looks amazing…I haven’t had homemade roast chicken in a while! I’m thankful for all the new connections I’ve made blogging the past year!

katie @ KatieDid November 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love this idea! I think it was you that made a resolution to say something you were grateful for before you went to bed a while back, and I used to do the same thing for a while but eventually fell off the wagon.
    Today I’m thankful for my parents’ hard work that has helped put me through school.

Tina November 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Yep, it was me! I still do it most nights. Mal does it now too! :)

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes November 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’m so very thankful for beating cancer and becoming a Mom this year. My life has completely changed for the better.

Polly @ ChildPsychMom November 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m in! I just posted my “Be Thankful Challenge” post and plan to update facebook/twitter through Thanksgiving. Thanks for the inspiration. We could all use to be a little more thankful!

Polly

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today November 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Our new street was insanely popular for Trick or Treat this year, too! I bought four bags of candy with about 180 pieces each and we still almost ran out within the first hour. My boyfriend rushed to Walgreens (which, of course,w as sold out of Halloween-specific candy) to get four more bags and we still only had about 10 pieces of candy left at the end of the night. Crazy! But I had so much fun handing it out :)

Christine November 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Young House Love have a nice family tradition for remaining thankful http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/11/thanks-glassing/

Charlie November 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I am thankful that I am running again. After a knee injury last year I didn’t know if I would be able to or want to run again. I am back on the road and loving it!

lauern November 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’ve been craving potatoes all day, and now I see this roasting technique! I’ll have to try that.
    I’m terrible at specifying what I’m thankful for! (I’ll keep working on that) I do know that I’m just generally thankful that I have a happy life and the opportunity to pursue my interests.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I love this idea for a challenge! Today I’m thankful for sleeping in until 7:10! That is like a miracle for me, since I’m usually wide awake at 6 am without even needing an alarm. :P

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 1, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Your chicken looks so good! I like cooking that better then turkey! It seems to takes less work and I like the flavor better. For some reason I bore of turkey but not chicken!!

Amy November 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

LOVE this challenge! Thanks Tina!
    Today, I’m thankful for my sister. She’s pretty awesome. :)

Chetney (Czesia Lives) November 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I wish we had trick or treaters, it was one of my favorite memories when I lived in Florida. Now we don’t get any! One day we will again though! I felt like Halloween just flew right past. booo! and booooo..

Elizabeth November 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Yummm, roasted whole chickens are my favorite dinner to make these days.. so lovely for Autumn. And now, I am hungry.
    Love this Thankful November Challenge too, I am doing one too!

Clare @ sweetnsimple November 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

yumm! there are 5 kids in our house, so roast chicken is often on our menu – but it is definitely a fave :) today I am thankful for my bed, it’s raining pretty dismally outside..

Emily November 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

What a great challenge! I don’t post on my blog every day but I’m going to end each post with something I’m thankful for. Today, I am thankful for a wonderful mentor I had the pleasure to spend time with today.

Kerry LeWarne November 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’m thankful for so many things….my family, my health, my faith, and my hobbies – one being reading blogs, reading magazines, and books. I love those moments of sitting at home, with my family (and dog), perusing blogs and reading whatever I can get my hands on.

Thanks!