• My Kind of Marathon Training

October 2, 2011

Yesterday was quite the day. I ran 18 miles and then spent the rest of the afternoon drinking, which seems to happen quite often during my marathon training.

It was pouring rain when I woke up, so I considered moving my long run to Sunday, but I really didn’t want to put it off. I knew running 18 miles (+ recovery time) would take up most of my day, so I just wanted to get it over with it.

Running 18 miles meant that I’d be out in the rain for about 3 hours, so I used MapMyRun.com to create two 9-mile loops around my town, so I could stop home to change my socks (to prevent blisters) and fill up my FuelBelt with water.

It was raining pretty hard for the first few miles of my run, but it eventually cleared up and the sun came out.

After Mile 9, I stopped at home, but I didn’t bother to change my socks. I said hi to Murphy, chugged down some water mixed with GU Brew, and headed out to finish my run.

I finished my 18 miles in just under 3 hours, but this run was really tough for me. My hip didn’t boterh me, but I ended up walking a few times because I was so exhausted. I don’t remember it being so difficult the last time I ran 18 miles. Last weekend’s 16-miler was pretty rough too. Before my hip issues, my long runs were no problem for me. I wish I knew what was going on. Blah.

After my run, I stretched for awhile, rehydrated, and then took an ice bath. Ice baths are really amazing. I did one last weekend after my long run and experienced zero soreness the next day.

Once I got my life together, I made an egg sandwich with cheddar cheese on a Sandwich Thin for lunch. I also ate a Larabar and drank an iced coffee with soy milk.

A little while later, Mal and I drove up to Cambridge for a wine tasting with City Wine Tours. A few weeks ago, the co-founders of City Wine Tours invited us to take a tour for free. Thanks, guys!

Mal and I did the Harvard Square tour, which ended up being more of a historical walking tour than a wine tasting. The majority of the two-hour tour focused on Harvard and its history.

I enjoyed the tour, but I wanted to taste more wine! Isn’t that why you do wine tours?

2011-10-02_0820

At the end of the tour, our “wine ambassador” suggested the South End tour if you’re more interested in the wine and less in the historical aspect. Maybe we’ll try that one next!

After the wine tour, I did my own little beer tasting of Harvard Square. I had a Post Road Pumpkin Ale (delish!) at The Grendel’s Den and a Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale (tasty, but hoppy) at Grafton Street.

IMG_0291 (600x800)IMG_0296 (600x800)

FYI: The beer selection at Grafton Street was excellent! There were lots of fun and exciting beers on tap. They definitely know how to do beer there!

After our adventures in Harvard Square, Mal and I came home, ate dinner, and went to bed early. It was a happening night in the Haupert household!

P.S. For those of you interested in the stainless steel straws that you see on CNC all of the time, they’re on sale right now! Get them before they sell out again!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 2, 2011 at 9:22 am

Nice job on the 18 miler! You should just be proud of yourself for accomplishing it, even if it was a little rough. And it sounds like you finished your day off on the right note – wine and beer!

ellen October 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

nice 18! i’m glad i’m not the only one who refuels by throwing down beers all afternoon, haha

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:30 am

@ellen: Haha! Def not! ;)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

What else are you supposed to do after running 18 miles? :) Your lunch coffee looks really good and cinnamony colored! I love map myrun.

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Haha! I know, right? ;)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 2, 2011 at 9:32 am

Woah! Great run. The wine tasting sounds great :)

Alison (peaches and football) October 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

Awesome job on the run! WOW

Quick question, when you are out running in the rain, do you use your same training shoes or do you use an older pair? I would imagine you wouldn’t want a broken-down pair for such a long run, but the water would probably ruin a newer pair. How do you handle this? Thanks!

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:31 am

@Alison (peaches and football): Yep! I just wear my usual running shoes.

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves October 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

Looks like a great Saturday. First weekend of fall, long run, and booze!

Michelle @ Oats n' Bows October 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

Awww look at Murphy!! Seeing you talk about you marathon trainings really motivates me Tina. I really want it to be me someday :)

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yay!!! I hope you do someday! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

good for you, tina!! i would have for sure put off the run til today. i absolutely hate running in the elements!! bet you woke up this morning glad you got it over with, though :)

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

Me too! I’m not a fan of running in the rain. It makes it so much harder!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

You’ve had to jump up your weekly mileage a lot recently, so give yourself a break – 18 miles is always a long way! :) Congrats on getting out in the rain and getting your run done – hope you’re getting a chance to relax today!

Sweet and Savvy October 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

Congratulations on your long run!!! That is some serious dedication that you should be extremely proud of:) Good luck on the rest of your training.

katie @ KatieDid October 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

After my long runs I was usally down for the count for the rest of the day, good for you for getting out there and being able to enjoy the day so much. It’s great that marathon training doesn’t have to ruin your social life!

natalie October 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

Way to go on 18! Yesterday I ate cake and french fries!

lynn @ the actor's diet October 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

those ice bath pictures always crack me up

Molly October 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

when I trained for my first (and only so far) half marathon a few years ago our training consisted of wine of friday night run saturday morning- definitely made things more exciting! haha

p.s. I LOVE mapmyrun.com — life saver!

Ali @ Ali Runs October 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

Congrats on finishing the 18 miler, especially with how rainy and cold it was. I always have a hard time getting motivated if the weather is less than stellar.

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Same here. I wanted to skip my run so much! But, I’m glad that I didn’t!

Brittany October 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

At least you finished, that’s awesome! You definitely deserved some extra drinking :D

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

Haha! I definitely took advantage of my free afternoon!

Khushboo October 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

Wow 18 miles- that is great! You have motivated me about the 7 I have planned for tomo!

Tina October 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

Wahoo! Good luck tomorrow!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

enjoy those 18 miles! I was supposed to run 7 today (my furthest ever) but my knees have been hurting so much this week I’m having to push it off… not a happy camper! Haha and I would have preferred a wine tour with more wine too! Good think you made up for it with your own beer tour, sometimes you just have to make things happen yourself!

Preeti October 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I really admire your commitment. Weather is always hard to push through… :) Great Job!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) October 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

My husband and I visited Boston a few years ago and ate dinner at Grafton Street. We loved it! He loved the beer too although I have no idea what kind he ordered that night. Congrats on your long run!

Katie October 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I am really impressed you were able to leave again after seeing Murphy’s face! That may have been just enough of an excuse for me to call it a day. ;)

Alaina October 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I was invited for that Wine Tour too! I have yet to take them up on the offer though. I would definitely be more interested in the South End tour. Wanna meet up for that one? :-)

Tina October 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm

@Alaina: Sure! I’ve heard the South End one is the best! :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Hey at least you DID the 18! NICEly done! That rocks.

I think I would die in an ice bath….how do you live to tell the tale?! ;)

Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes October 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I ran 20 miles yesterday and forgot to stretch/ice/move after I finished. My legs feel like they are wound up so tight right now its unbelievable!!! Congrats on your 18 miles!!!
    Just over a month until NYC!!!!
    I hope I finish…
    Happy Sunday :)

Tina October 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You’ll finish for sure! Only 5 weeks to go!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I can’t even wrap my head around running 18 miles – even just 6 is long to me! Major kudos for busting out that run in the rain. :D

Kellie October 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I never tried ice baths (that’s scary), but compression sleeves/socks really helped. I bought Zensah, and they really helped fight leg soreness and cramps after the long runs, and definitely after the marathon. You’re doing great! Congrats!

Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

Congrats on the 18 miles!! That’s awesome. I love your ice bath pictures, haha.

Laura October 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Yeah! You went to all the places I went to when I visited Harvard area with my bff last fall. She was new to Boston and so we kind of didn’t know where to go, but it sounds like we went to the same places as the “locals.” ;-)

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop October 3, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Wow I missed some blogs! Love the pumpkin photo and the wine tour sounds awesome to me! I love historical stuff :)
    ~Ang