• Museum Treasures

October 3, 2011

Good morning! :mrgreen:

I did an insane amount of blogging yesterday and recapped my entire foodie experience in Washington, DC. Just in case you missed it, here are my posts!

Last Night’s Dinner

Mal and I snacked all afternoon and never ate a ‘proper’ lunch, so we whipped up a hearty dinner of baked pasta with marinara sauce, roasted grape tomatoes, and melted mozzarella cheese on top. Doesn’t baked cheese make every meal more delicious?

_MG_4459 (800x533)-2

On the side: baked acorn squash with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

_MG_4462 (800x533)-2

_MG_4454 (800x533)-2

And for dessert: my mom’s apple crisp (aka THE BEST Apple Crisp).

_MG_4469 (800x533)-2

This morning’s breakfast was oatmeal mixed with cooked quinoa, mashed acorn squash, maple syrup, and cinnamon. On top, I added raisins, chia seeds, and a big scoop of peanut butter.

_MG_4474 (800x533)-2

_MG_4478 (800x533)-2

The food was the main focus of my recent trip to Washington, DC, but you can’t visit the nation’s capital without seeing and learning something new. One of the coolest things that I learned was about the Emancipation Proclamation.

The Emancipation Proclamation is housed by the National Archives, but the document on display is actually just a copy of the real thing. The original document is too fragile to display even in a museum, so it’s only shown in public three days each year. Frank Cordes, Director of Administration and Marketing at the National Archives, said when the original document is displayed, he’s seen people wait in line for more than 8 hours to see it.

Other cool things that I saw in DC: Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers.

Picture 001

And Michael Jackson’s Hat.

2011-10-03_0706 (634x420)

In Paris, I saw mummified cats.

And The Mona Lisa.

What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen at a museum?

P.S. Check Erin’s guest post on Trading Up Downtown: Beginner’s Running Tips from a Beginner!

Khushboo October 3, 2011 at 8:03 am

I am SO glad spaghetti bake is on the menu for tonight- otherwise I would be very jealous after seeing that dinner!

Chad @ thebreakupnote October 3, 2011 at 8:04 am

DC is probably my favorite place to visit. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen was in the museum of modern art in DC – Andy Warhol originals and Picasso originals. One time, when I went, they had a special display in town of Bible from the 1st millennium.

chelsea October 3, 2011 at 8:04 am

i loveeeeeee that apple crisp recipe!! it is just amazing!! whenever i make it I eat it for dessert..and breakfast!

Molly @ RDexposed October 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

The only thing that would make that apple crisp look even more appealing is melted cheese…kidding!
    Coolest thing I’ve seen in a museum…the Monet from Ferris Bueller’s Day off is the only thing coming to mind. The camel from Body Worlds was pretty memorable, too. All the cool stuff will pop into my mind after I click the submit button. :)

Molly @ RDexposed October 3, 2011 at 8:09 am

@Molly @ RDexposed: Wait, Abraham Lincoln’s house! Loved going to all of his old stomping grounds in Springfield, IL!

Katie October 3, 2011 at 9:29 am

@Molly @ RDexposed: if you’re talking about the painting that transfixes sloane, it’s a Seurat, not a Monet.

katie @ KatieDid October 3, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’ve never been to DC but it looks like there is so much history and things to do and see. I would love to take a trip there and visit all those museums also. Awesome job on the recaps, they were all really well written and I can see the amount of work you put into them!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 3, 2011 at 8:10 am

I don’t think I’ve got a very interesting answer for the ‘best thing in a museum’ question, but I did visit the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto which has a whole bunch of famous people’s shoes – including those fantastic Spice Girl platforms!! Your trip looks like it was amazing – I still think the highlight for me would have been Julia Childs’ kitchen!

Parita @ myinnershakti October 3, 2011 at 8:11 am

A few years back, I saw the Hope Diamond at the Museum of Natural History. Glad you had a fun time!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

I love seeing all the ancient Egyptian artifacts in museums :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

Love this post…and the ruby red slippers are awesome.

As well as your apple crisp…I love crisps and crumbles of all kinds.

Have a great week, Tina :)

Alison (peaches and football) October 3, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love all the historical stuff you found. Dorothy’s shoes? The Mona Lisa? That’s pretty cool. Was the Mona Lisa really interesting in person? Sometimes I wonder if paintings are popular because they are “popular” or if people really do like them in person if the fame wasn’t attached.

What would you say was the BEST thing you ate in DC?

Tina October 3, 2011 at 8:26 am

@Alison (peaches and football): The Mona Lisa was much smaller than I thought it would be! For some reason, I thought it was a big painting.

The best thing I ate in DC? Either Chef Petersen’s lemon dessert or the hushpuppies from Sou’Wester.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 3, 2011 at 8:23 am

First of all, your dinner from last night sounds totally delicious!! I do love cheese on top of a good dish :)

Second of all, what a cool trip! Love all the photos!

Emily @ The Finicky Farmer October 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

What a fun question!

I adored the Egyptian Museum in Cairo — I had waited my whole life (all 29 years!) to see the King Tut exhibit! I also enjoyed looking at the unwrapped mummies. While there, a group of French tourists were similarly captivated by the mummified cats and kept “meowing” surreptitiously but hideously. It was awesomely hilarious.

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 3, 2011 at 8:34 am

I loved seeing the Mona Lisa in person too. I should probably have some museum highlight stuck in my head after spending a semester abroad and having been to Europe 8 times but I don’t! I have to say, museums just bore the heck out of me. We went partying the night before going to El Prado in college and I literally walked through the museum still drunk from the night before. Don’t remember much from that!

Jen G. October 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

I did a summer internship at the Library of Congress. Part of my internship involved gathering information about the special collections across the library. I got to see so much neat stuff — the Rare Book vault and an issue of Benjamin Franklin’s newspaper from 1776 when it printed the Declaration of Independence were probably my favorites!

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

So cool!!

Athena @ fitnessandfeta October 3, 2011 at 8:42 am

One of the coolest museums I’ve been to – and also in DC – is the Museum of Crime & Punishment. SO many cool things in there!

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

Oooh, I bet!

Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 3, 2011 at 8:42 am

The Ruby Red slippers are too cool! Wizard of Oz was my favorite movie when I was little. I had my very own pair of ruby red slippers and would “follow the yellow brick road” around my Dad’s lazy boy when that song came on!

A sad fact is that the actress who played Dorthy actually committed suicide. An interesting fact is that they actually had a lot of different ruby red slippers (for example, one pair had padded soles so they wouldn’t be loud on the yellow brick road, etx.

Carly (Swim, Run, Om) October 3, 2011 at 8:56 am

I can’t believe no one has shared pics of Kermit! He was pretty cool to see.

I went to see the Terracotta Army when it was at the High. It was the neatest thing, but also intimidating, especially the way they had them displayed.

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

I sent a photo of Kermit to Mal when I saw them! He’s a huge fan of the Muppets! :)

Danielle October 3, 2011 at 8:59 am

And now I want to eat a big serving of apple crisp. Except I’m at work for the next 8 or so hours. Dangit!
    In Lausanne, Switzerland I went to the Olympic museum. As a big Olympics fan, it was awesome to see so much Olympic stuff – running shoes, bobsled, skies, etc. The entire time I couldn’t help but think of the line from the movie “Cool Runnings:” – I’m feeling very Olympic today!

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Michelle @ Oats n' Bows October 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

Wow the mona lisa. That’s incredible. I will never forget going to the smithsonian and seeing swatch cards that were with the world war II display that were made from my great grandpas swatch card factory and had my last name on them. It was incredible.

Lindsey October 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

The Mona Lisa in France for sure, I went there in High School on a exchange trip :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 3, 2011 at 9:20 am

Eveything is better with baked cheese :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com October 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

at the risk of sounding morbid, I enjoy every aspect of the Holocaust museum in DC. as a history teacher its a pretty significant portion of our past, and it does a fabulous job at preserving the horrific event to ensure that we never forget the impact and atrocities that happened. if you havent been there, you should definitely check it out…bring tissues and make sure to allow plenty of time!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

YAY for acorn squash!! LOVE!

The National Portrait Gallery had a hip hop exhibit a few years ago… I LOVED IT! Nothing better than Jay-Z sitting in a throne.

Lynn @ the actor's diet October 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

I was at The Grammy Museum in LA yesterday and saw Michael jackson’s gloves and his white suit from the Thriller album cover (which was now a dusty off white)

Ashley October 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

The Mona Lisa for sure! Well, the short glimpse I caught of the Mona Lisa, at least. They herd you through that exhibit like cattle!

Hope October 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Your dinner looks delicious! I really want to try acorn squash. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. :)

My favorite things to see were Julia Child’s Kitchen and Dorothy’s slippers too!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl October 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

Last weekend, I just saw an amazing panoramic painting of the Dutch seascape by famous artist: Hendrik Willem Mesdag. I also saw the Girl with the Pearl Earring… both were so cool to see in person. Europe is so rich with art but it’s nice to see some American artifacts on display in your post!

Jackie October 3, 2011 at 9:55 am

I cracked up at Mal’s expression in the glass of the mummified cats! Ha!

Tina October 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

@Jackie: LOL! I wonder if anyone else noticed!?

Michelle K October 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm

@Tina: I was just about to post something about it.. It’s so funny!!

Lourdes tootiredmoms.com October 3, 2011 at 9:58 am

That pasta looks excellent and has inspired me to make some kind of saucy, cheesy, baked pasta, for dinner…TONIGHT.

Ida October 3, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’m a huge Mark Twain fan. We used to visit his house every summer when I was growing up and I always love walking around there.

Rachel October 3, 2011 at 10:15 am

I was so excited when I saw the ruby slippers at the Smithsonian! I also loved seeing Julia Child’s kitchen.

But – my most exciting museum experience was definitely in May 2010 when we visited the Morgan Library in NYC and got to see the Magna Carta. It was the first time it had been in the US in a long, long time, and only because of the volcanic explosion in Iceland was it still in New York. It was such a random thing, but it was very cool seeing such an old document.

Shanna, Like Banana October 3, 2011 at 10:30 am

I think one of the coolest and creepiest things I’ve seen is a real life mummy — the oldest in the entire world in Cairo Egypt.

Jennifer L October 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love DC! Great recaps of your trip! Makes me want to visit. the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in a museum was in DC. it was George Washington’s uniform during the revolutionary war. Not all the pieces were original, but many were. I’ve read a 6 part biography of GW so needless to say, I was excited.

Liz October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am

I LOVE visiting DC! :) My favorite museum is the Air & Space Museum…but I’m not sure I could pick one favorite thing there… It would be pretty much anything related to NASA/Space.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 3, 2011 at 10:44 am

I would click my heels and be like “there’s no place like a bar, there’s no place like a bar” I don’t think I’d be the best dorothy. Plus, I would need like 6 of her shoes to equal one of my sz 11s.

Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

I just went apple picking this weekend and CANNOT WAIT to make apple crisp!! I was actually scrolling for recipes of it so I’m so happy you reminded me of yours – I’m definitely going to make it! :)

VeggieGirl October 3, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I saw the actual Rosetta Stone in London’s museum!

Olivia @ PeanutButterNerd October 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm

On vacation in Arizona this August, my boyfriend and I (huge nerds about everything from Buffy to Star Trek, and all in between) went to the Arizona Pop Culture Museum. It was ALL the action figures the owner had ever collected.

He had every Star Trek thing ever and every Buffy/Angel figure ever – it was the coolest!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life October 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

HA! Mal’s reflection is hilarious! Y’all are too funny. I looooove museums. I think my favorite was seeing the statue of David in Florence.. it was amazing!

Samantha @ SamanthainTraining October 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I NEED to visit DC soon!

I would love to visit the Dali museum in St. Petersburg~I am a big fan of his work. Have you ever been there?

TriciaB October 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

the Janis Joplin painted Porsche at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Awesome!

Ella, RD October 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I was skeptical about your mom’s apple crisp actually being THE BEST because my grandma’s recipe is so awesome (she recently passed so I make it with any excuse). HOWEVER, I was happily surprised to see that they are nearly the same recipe! and I also never peel the apples when I make it. Gotta keep the fiber and nutrients in desserts where you can!

lauren October 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

There is nothing better than a baked pasta dish. Even the ones I just throw together always taste so freakin’ good.
    The memorable thing I saw in a museum was the Hope Diamond. There was a guard beside the case and a line wrapped around it…when we got to the front, my husband burst out, “that’s it, really, are you kidding me?!” LOL! He was expecting a small rock. I have a limited knowledge of gems and I kind of assumed it would be huge too, but it was beautiful.

Tina October 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

@lauren: So cool! :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh goodness. Your dinners always look so good! I need to figure out how to make food like that. My friend works at the Denver Art Museum, and the coolest thing I’ve seen is their current sculpture exhibit – it really was amazing!

Greta October 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

The coolest thing I ever saw in a museum, was at the Vincent Van Gogh in Amsterdam…Starry Night. It was neat to see in person, because I used to have the print of it in my room.

Tina October 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

@Greta: I saw that too! I love that painting! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Your mums apple crisp looks incredible. I can almost taste it looking at that picture! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’ve been to so, so many museums..it’s hard to pick my favorite thing! No matter what, I love Egyptian exhibits. I did see King Tut once before. That was pretty cool.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop October 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Like I said, I love historical stuff!
    I don’t know exactly what the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in a museum (terrible memory). My husband says this huge Mayan wheel thingy we saw at the Museum of Natural History. Think, a solid round carved 15 foot tall wheel shaped thing. That’s all I got. LoL! My *favorite* things from museums are the entire historical rooms at the Philadelphia Museum of art and the Van Gogh paintings that were there!

Lindsay October 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I may have cried when I saw Dorothy’s slippers as an 8th grader….:)
    The coolest thing I’ve seen through my travels thus far was the Colloseum in Rome, journeying through the underground tunnels and hearing the whispers of gladiators from long ago…remarkable!! I also adored seeing the Three Sisters, which is in the Blue Mountains in Australia, a beautiful rock formation said to represent 3 Aboriginal women that were encased in stone. I love to travel! Now living in Korea, we are experiencing a whole new onslought of historical gems:) It’s amazing how OLD these sights are, the U.S.A. is still such a baby compared to other cultures!! So glad you were able to experience the famed document, the Mona Lisa, and may your travels continue!

Shawna October 4, 2011 at 10:56 am

i’d have to say there’s a tie for the two coolest museum exhibits i’ve seen:
    1. the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met this summer (amazing)
    2. the Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom