• Farmers’ Market at the White House, Scion & Adour at the St. Regis Hotel

October 2, 2011

And the Destination DC adventures continue!

After enjoying lunch at the Mandarin Oriental, we walked over to the White House and then the nearby farmers’ market.

The FRESHFARM Market by the White House is open on Thursdays from 3:00 – 7:00 pm until late October. It’s also the same farmers’ market where Michelle Obama shops! (I kept my eyes peeled for her, but no luck.)

At the market, we met Ann Harvey Yonkers, Co-Executive Director of FRESHFARM Markets. Ann was very friendly and introduced us to a number of the vendors at the farmers’ market.

2011-10-02_1135

2011-10-02_1136

2011-10-02_1134

Highlights from the market: cheese from Keswick Creamery.

I pretty much sampled every single kind of cheese they offered, and then ended up taking home a block of the Lesher, a British-style cheese in the Cheddar family. It’s creamy, tangy, and really stinky— my favorite!

And Crispin/Mutsu apples from Bigg Riggs Farm.

These apples were just so delicious–fresh, crispy, and sweet. I ended up buying a couple of them to take home with me, and I have since referred to them as my “special” apples.

The story behind Bigg Riggs Farm is really interesting as told by Calvin Riggleman (Bigg Rigg himself):

The idea for Bigg Riggs was born in the sandy deserts of Iraq in 2003, on my first deployment with the United States Marine Corps. While talking with my fellow comrades (Craig Erlanger, Walt Faschi, Alan Reifenberg, Kyle Conley, and Dan Gorman) about my life in Hampshire County, West Virginia we began discussing the farm my family has owned for five generations. Actually, my family has been farming within a few miles of here for 8 generations. Being that their lives were much different from mine, they became very interested in the life I live and encouraged me to share this homestyle feeling with the world. After discussing the fact that we were only able to offer the fruit seasonally to hometown buyers, the other marines suggested capturing that same taste in a jar.

We ended up talking to Calvin for quite awhile at the market. He’s a really nice, down-to-earth guy. Definitely ask to meet him if you visit!

After the farmers’ market, we headed back to the hotel, quickly changed into nicer clothing, and met some friends at Scion for drinks and appetizers.

Hi, Gretchen!

_MG_4276 (800x533)

We didn’t have much time to spend at Scion before the next event on our schedule, but I still managed to drink a couple of pumpkin beers and chow down on fried pickles.

2011-10-02_1138_001

We ordered all of the appetizers on the happy hour menu to share among the table.

_MG_4278 (800x533)

I quickly became best friends with the fried pickles, which, somehow, I didn’t snap a photo of. I guess I was too busy shoving them into my mouth.

2011-10-02_1138

Time flies when you’re having fun because all of a sudden it was 7:15 PM, and we needed to get to our next event. Leslie, Gina, and I quickly paid our bill, said goodbye to our friends, and jumped in a cab to Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University to hear a lecture by Ferran Adria and Jose Andres.

During the lecture, Ferran Adria did the majority of the speaking (through an interpreter). He shared stories and insights about his career and talked about his new cookbook, The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià. It was really neat to see these famous chefs in person.

_MG_4299 (800x533)

After the lecture, we headed to the St. Regis Washington DC for a late dinner.

_MG_4409 (800x533)

_MG_4303 (800x533)

_MG_4307 (800x533)

_MG_4345 (800x533)

At Adour, we enjoyed a 5-course vegetarian tasting menu with wine pairings.

_MG_4310 (800x533)

First course: Chilled Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho with compressed watermelon and basil.

_MG_4336 (800x533)

Second course: Rainbow Beet Salad with goat cheese cream and candied walnuts.

_MG_4349 (800x533)

Third Course: Parsley Risotto with Chanterelle mushrooms.

_MG_4365 (800x533)

Fourth Course: Signature Cookpot with Mediterranean Vegetables.

_MG_4372 (800x533)

Fifth Course: Classic Vacherin with lemon verbena ice cream and raspberry sorbet.

_MG_4390 (800x533)

Plus macaroons and dark chocolate.

_MG_4401 (800x533)

Overall, I really enjoyed the vegetarian tasting menu at Adour. The portions were perfectly sized—not too big, not too small—so I enjoyed all five courses without overdoing it.

The tasting menu uses the very best in-season ingredients, so everything was fresh and flavorful. I enjoyed the majority of the courses, especially the Parsley Risotto. (Who knew parsley was so delicious?! I always thought of it as just a garnish.) However, I wasn’t that impressed with the Signature Cookpot. It was kind of bland and boring. Even still, it was a delicious meal, and I’m glad that I had the chance to try it.

Michelle @ Oats n' Bows October 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

DC has such a great farmers market. But, out of all of those beautiful fresh foods, my eyes were instantly drawn to those fries O_O they look sensational.

Looks like you’re having a great time! Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm

ahhh I love farmers’ markets! :D And that sign is pretty funny–last peaches, for reals this time. Have a beautiful day Tina!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Sounds so amazing! I love farmers markets :)

Gretchen October 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Looks like you finally got to have the lighter, healthy fare that you were craving after such amazing richness the day before! SO glad that I got to see you — I agree, the time really flew! ‘Til next time! :D

Molly October 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

@Gretchen: lol, I wouldn’t consider five courses to be “light”. Especially for someone with colitis.

Tina October 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

@Molly: Colitis, which I had, and Ulcerative Colitis are different, so a five-course meal isn’t an issue for me! ;)

Molly October 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

@Tina: Gotcha. Sounds like you had the acute version then, and not chronic colitis.

Khushboo October 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Everything looks delicious, especially the macaroons…kinda like the gourmet version of whoopie pies!

Kim October 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Jealous that you got to hear Ferran Adria and Jose Andres speak. Their knowledge and experience is off the charts. I really love your blog, by the way!

Tina October 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

@Kim: It was such a cool experience! :)

Ali October 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That farmers market looked awesome! I especially loved the sign about it being the last week for peaches, and they mean it this time! So cute and so funny. It looks like you are really livin it up!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Wow that looks like an amazing day! The risotto really caught my eye and those macaroons! You must be ready for sleeps after your busy weekend! :)

John October 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Gezz..you had an amazing weekend in DC! Hit some great food spots! Also, Dogfish Punkin is delish!

Lee October 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

OMG, that’s where I got married! (The St. Regis, I mean). Did you see the Astor Terrace? That’s where our ceremony was. Fun to see it on your blog.

Tina October 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

@Lee: I didn’t, but if it’s like the lobby and Adour, I can imagine how beautiful it is!

Katie October 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm

That Farmer’s Market looks awesome!!!

Pam October 2, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Farmer’s markets are so much fun! You can always find something really special at each one.
    How was the wine paired with the food? Anything notable?

Tina October 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

@Pam: The pairings were great. I tried a sip or two from each one, but I wasn’t really in the mood to drink that night.

Lourdes tootiredmoms.com October 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Those apples do look special! What great hours for a Farmer’s Market!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 2, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Haha, I love that peach sign at the Farmer’s Market! I didn’t see any peaches at the market this week here, so I guess they really are done. How sad! :(

Nikki @ The Legalista October 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

What a fun day! I’m so jealous of all of your food adventures! The vecharin looks absolutely delicious, even though I have no idea what it even is haha.

How do you like the Dogfish Punkin??

XOXO

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel October 2, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Loving that one of those cheeses was called “Have a Parti Havarti”. Fun names make everything taste better :)

Hannah October 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

You could be gorgeous triplets!

Alyse @ Fit Approach October 3, 2011 at 12:31 am

Oh, love the photos from your dinner. Too bad the signature cookpot wasn’t thrilling–but it certainly is gorgeous, with all the veggies so perfectly arranged!

Taylor @ Delish World October 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

LOVE Bigg Riggs. Calvin sells his stuff in Old Town, Alexandria too. He’s super nice and friendly. I buy all my apples from him in the fall and winter.

Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

That dinner looks AMAZING. Love the macaroons at the end – dark chocolate?! YUM.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop October 3, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Everything looks so delicious!!! I always love your photos. I have sometimes have a tough time in dim lighting with my pictures. Yours always look great1
    ~Ang

Kelly October 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Wow. I have to admit that I am in awe of the fact you went to that lecture. There are celebrity chefs, but to me Adria is on a whole other level. When I think about all the fantastic American chefs (and worldwide as well) he’s inspired like Grant Achatz it’s pretty impressive.

Any chance you’re going to go into more detail about what was talked about and what you learned?

Tina October 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I wasn’t planning to on CNC, but I can send you an email with some of my notes from the lecture?

Kelly October 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm

@Tina: Sounds lovely. Thanks Tina.

Lele October 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Scion has an incredible brunch. First of all, it’s served til 3:30 :D Second of all, they have a fresh fruit bar. They also have all these great customizable scrambles/omelets and things. And as a side dish, you can get toast, hash browns, or a PASTRY! Basically, I want to go there right now.