• All Business

October 6, 2011

I was all business this morning.

I wasn’t planning to do my long run until tomorrow morning, but then I realized that I needed to drop Murphy off at my sister’s house for the weekend, which will probably take me a solid 3 hours with rush hour traffic.

I probably could have squeezed in my long run tomorrow morning, but I know I’d feel rushed, especially since I’d want to hang out with my sister and then get on the road fairly early to Newport. Long story short, I did my long run today!

For breakfast, I ate my usual pre-run meal of peanut butter and banana slices on a whole wheat Sandwich Thin with a glass of iced coffee. I discovered this meal early on in my training for the RNR Arizona Marathon, so it’s been my go-to fuel for my long runs (and races). It gives me energy, satisfies me, and never upsets my stomach.

IMG_0023 (800x600) (800x600) (800x600)

While I let my breakfast digest, I took Murphy for a walk and dillydallied around the house before heading out for a 15-mile run.

Surprisingly, things went really well today. My hip didn’t hurt at all, and I didn’t feel like I was going to die. I actually really enjoyed my run today. Marathon training is long and hard, so there are many moments when I question why the hell I want to run 26.2 miles. Today’s run was the perfect reminder and just what I needed to get me through the final weeks. It’s amazing what a good run can do.

When I got home, I had approximately 9 minutes to get myself together before my phone call with Giada. Remember when I was supposed to meet her? Unfortunately, things didn’t work out that time, so her PR people arranged a call between the two of us today. Giada and I had a great conversation, so I’ll be sure to share it in a blog post on CNC very soon.

By the time I had a chance to make lunch, I was starving, so I threw some leftover spicy lentils in a bowl, added some frozen edamame and peas, and nuked it all in the microwave for a few minutes. Meanwhile, I toasted half of a bagel and spread cream cheese on top. Lunch was done in 5 minutes.

I ate my lunch, and then 60 seconds later, wanted something else to eat, so I toasted the other half of the bagel and spread peanut butter and Nutella on top. (Honestly, who eats just one half of a bagel? Not this girl.)

Three Questions Thursday

I didn’t forget! Here’s the next edition of Three Questions Thursday!

I have been following your blog for a while now and love it! I am training for a half-marathon and have a cold. I was wondering what your suggestions are for continuing to be active and train with sick but also allowing your body to get well. Being sick threw me off my half marathon plan last year and I never got back to it. I want to get better but I also want to keep on schedule.

That’s tough, and I’ve been there too. I got the flu while training for my first marathon, and it was so frustrating. I wanted to run so badly, but I ended up taking off a few days from all exercise so I could get better.

As far as keeping on schedule with your training, I like to use the “above the neck check” to determine if I am well enough to exercise. For instance, if my symptoms are all above the neck, like a runny nose, then I’m usually okay to exercise. For me, exercise often helps me feel better. An easy jog, for instance, usually revs-up my energy. I just listen to my body and lessen the intensity of the workout if I need to. However, if I’m too stuffed-up or just plain exhausted, and exercise just makes me miserable, I don’t do it.

If I have symptoms “below the neck,” such as body chills, aches, or stomach issues, I take it easy until I’m feeling better. And, of course, if I’m running a fever, I definitely put off exercising until my temperature is back to normal. There’s no point in pushing myself if I feel terrible. Plus, it’ll likely take me longer to recover.

I’ve been struggling with nighttime snacking lately. I eat well all day long, but as soon as dinner is done with, I find myself in the kitchen every 20 minutes wanting a snack. I know I’m not losing weight because of this. Do you have any advice how I can stop myself from doing this?

I do! Here’s a post that I wrote about how I deal with nighttime snacking.

At what point in your weight loss journey did you stop using a calorie counter or food diary? Over the past 6 months I lost about 25 pounds and am super happy and feel great…and threw out my food diary last night. I have been maintaining for around a month and I was just so sick of the stupid thing. I am hoping I can continue to maintain maybe with just periodic weigh ins and seeing how my clothes feel because I felt like I was getting so obsessive with the tracking and was super annoyed with it. I want to know what you think, and what you personally did because you’ve maintained successfully for such a long time! Thank you in advance.

Congrats on your weight loss! I fell into the same situation with tracking calories— it became obsessive and annoying for me too. I religiously tracked my calories on Fitday.com for about a year or so until I got to my happy weight. After that, I still checked in every once in awhile with Fitday.com (probably once or twice a month). I’d track a day or two of calories, but then stop. I did this less and less over the course of about six months, and, eventually, I just stopped counting calories all together. Now, I know what works for me, and I don’t count calories at all. I pretty much use my clothing as a way to tell if I am gaining weight. I don’t own a scale, so I’ll weigh myself at the gym if my jeans start to get tight, and then clean up my diet if needed!

Foodbuzz Blog Awards

Exciting news! CNC was nominated for Foodbuzz’s Best Healthy Living Blog! Wahoo! Thanks so much for the nomination, friends!

In 2009, CNC won Best Healthy Living Blog, so I’d love the honor once again. Please feel free to vote for me!!

P.S. BIC Bands are on sale!!! I lovvve them!

Stef @ Living HI October 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Congratulations Tina, you deserve the nomination! Also, kudos on the successful long run. I know how you feel, sometimes I question myself “Why in the heck do I want to run 26.2 when runs in the teens can be so challenging?” The positive moments and motivations must outweigh the negative in the long run…. pun intended :)

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I totally agree! I cannot wait to cross the finish line in NYC! ONE MONTH from TODAY!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food October 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Awesome run! Awesome lunch too…I’m all about quick meals because by the time I decide to make something, I’m starving and want to eat right away!

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Me too! I couldn’t get lunch in my mouth quick enough today!

Natalie @ will jog for food October 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Congrats on your nomination!!

I want your bagel right now :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

great job on the long run! Nutella and PB sound like the perfect combo on a bagel – yum yum!

Angela October 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I agree on your calorie counting and food journaling thing – I stopped doing mine over time, but I will admit, while I was, it did get a bit obsessive. Like you, I used FitDay and when I was maintaining, I was just so in-the-habit of recording that it felt odd not to. Eventually though, I managed to stop and it certainly is liberating at first!

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Definitely! Liberating is the perfect word for it!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Congrats on the nom and great run :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Congrats on the nomination, you deserve it! If it weren’t for you and your book I’d probably still be eating diet foods and obsessively counting calories (still sliiiiightly trying to drop that one…). I also wouldn’t have found the healthy living blogging world and started my own blog if I hadn’t discovered yours! So THANK YOU! I’ll be voting for you!

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you so much! :)

Alicia Benjamin October 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Congrats on the enjoyable long run, Tina! Love your pre-fuel idea too.

Have a great weekend!

Deva @ Deva by Definition October 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Bagels are the best lunch/breakfast/snack/all-the-time food.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

peanut butter and Nutella are a winning combo, big time!

And major congrats on your nomination. I mentioned it in my last comment, but congrats again :)

And glad you got the long run out of the way. Have fun tomorrow!

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thank you! I’ll miss you at FB this year! Remember our bus encounter? :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

@Tina: Yes I will never forget out bus encounter!!

I am going to a photography workshop that pretty much coincides with FBuzz so doubt I can make it…but havent ruled it out entirely :)

Are you on Instagram? There is someone with a screen-name close to yours, just wanted to make sure it was really you :)

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Yep, it’s me on Instagram! :)

Michelle @ Oats n' Bows October 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Congrats on your nomination! You deserve it!

Haha I totally tried to eat a half a bagel for lunch, and then went back for the other half as well >_< there is not enough willpower in the world that could've stopped me.

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thank you! I totally agree about the bagel! :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

CONGRATS on the run and the nomination! It’s been a great day for you so far! Woot! Especially with nutella in the mix….can’t beat that :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Congrats on the long run and the nomination! Very well deserved! :)

Tina October 6, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thank you! :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Woot! Congrats on a good run.. that’s totally one of the joys of running though, don’t you think? Sometimes a run can horrible, and other times absolutely breathtaking!

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Congratulations on the nomination! I love your blog and you deserve the honor.

That second half of your bagel looks so good. There’s nothing like chocolate and peanut butter together and then on some doughy goodness? Yum!

Theodora October 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Great 15-miler! I’ll see you for 20.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please October 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This has nothing to do with your post, but I just had to share with you two funny pug pictures that I came across:

Hope they give you a laugh!

Erika - The Teenage Taste October 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Congrats on an awesome long run, Tina! I’m not a marathoner, but I definitely have my days where I question why I run. I love it, but a few “blah” days get really get me down sometimes. Love that post-workout runner’s high though! 😉

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You’ve got my vote!

Cait's Plate October 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

That peanut butter/nutella slathered bagel looks AWESOME.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

PB + Nutella is such an amazing combo!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

big congrats on the nomination!!!

meghan n October 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Such a perfect day for a long run here in Boston today! Glad ya had a good one:)
    Can’t wait to hear about your call with Giada, she seems so personable on her show!!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Congrats on your nomination! :) I had a little PB and Nutella last night. Fabulous! :)

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun October 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Congrats on the nomination! I’ve been reading your blog for a little while, and I love it! Great questions today. I also used to count calories religiously, which got really annoying. Now I just go by how my clothes fit…speaking of which, they are feeling a tad bit tighter…time to reign it in again 😉

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Cannot believe you had a conversation with Giada! You should so nonchalant about it! lol Can’t wait for the recap!!

julia October 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Congrats on your run Tina!! Question (since you have run at least one marathon I consider you seasoned) my first marathon is this sunday (yikes) and I feel totally mentally unprepared in the sense that my tapering down has lasted forever, my 20 mile run was 3 weeks ago. Did you feel mentally unprepared going into the marathon bc the last run was so long ago?

Tina October 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

@julia: Actually, not really. I was jazzed the day that I ran 20 miles, so I was soooo ready for the marathon after 3 weeks of tapering. GOOD LUCK this weekend! You are going to ROCK IT! :)

Hillary October 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Nutella and PB?
    Yes. Now, preferably.

lauren October 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Congrats on a good fun. It’s nuts how a good/bad run can totally change your mood. Running can be such a mixed bag.
    I cannot calorie count. I did for awhile, but it made me SO obsessive. It was all about the numbers and not about hunger cues at all. Right after I stopped, I was always thinking about food – but I’ve finally got it under control. I’ve learned it is so important to listen to your body, it know what it needs, we just have to learn to listen.

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig October 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I have never even thought of having Nutella and peanut butter together!! PB is not very big in Australia, so it has taken my Canadian husband years to get me used to the idea of PB and jam. He makes crepes with Nutella and strawberry jam, which is amazing!! I don’t know if I would like your combo though…

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Congrats on the nomination! I sure do love CNC!

And great job on the long run!

Hannah October 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Tina’s got her game face on! 😛

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Congrates,on the nominee from Foodbuzz! That’s awesome, I’ll go vote for you!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I can’t believe you talked to Giada, I’m sure I would’ve made an ass out of myself somehow if it was me. Can’t wait to hear how it went!
    Congrats on the nomination!

Hilary October 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Jealous of the Giada phone call…and that pb and nutella bagel looks just delish!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 6, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Congrats on the nomination! AND on the 15 miles. I don’t know how you do it! 😀

Brandi October 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I am so glad that your able to get back to running! :) congrats on the nomination…..Just voted! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm

awesome run, tina! i love the toast/pb pre-run combo. light enough to keep you loose, but strong enough to give you that punch of energy.

Alaina October 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Congratulations all around! A great 15 mile run and your nomination! I voted for you. :-)

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel October 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Nice job on the run! Glad to hear your hip isn’t bothering you.

And I agree about using clothes to determine if you’re maintaining a comfortable weight. Much better than calorie counting (eek!)

Khushboo October 7, 2011 at 1:41 am

Congats on the nomination! Your long runs are always so inspiring- recently I’ve found that it really is mind over matter…when the distance starts to feel daunting, I just remind myself that it’s about finishing, not breaking records (at least not for now)!

Liz October 7, 2011 at 1:45 am

Congratulations on the nomination! I’m psyched that several of my favorite blogs were nominated for awards & I think they all deserve wins :)

Ali @ Ali Runs October 7, 2011 at 8:51 am

Congrats on the 15 mile run and the nomination! Sounds like CNC had a great day yesterday! :)

Jessi October 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

Have you tried nutella and biscoff spread on a bagel? yummy!

debbie (accidently delish) October 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

i LOVE that you added that you ate the other half of your bagel, because i honestly thought to myself. who only eats half a bagel, then i read on, and kind of giggled out loud.

congrats on your run and congrats on your nomination! you deserve it! i really enjoy reading your blog!

Tina October 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Haha! I mean, who eats half of a bagel, right!? 😉

Christie October 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Holy mother. PB and nutella is one of my favorite. snacks. ever.

PS Good luck with your training! The Chicago Marathon is this weekend and I love seeing the sidewalks swarming with runners training for it.

Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

There is nothing like a good run…it’s our equivalent to a hole in one…I’m guessing 😉 Congrats on the great run and the nomination…your work is very inspiring!