• Sunday in the City

September 18, 2011

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday! I woke up to sunshine and a gorgeous view of the New York City skyline. What a way to start the day. Imagine waking up every morning to that view.

After dillydallying around the apartment (and cuddling with Bailey), Theodora and I headed to breakfast at the Theatre Row Diner.

The diner’s décor had an old-school movie theme with images of Marilyn Monroe and other famous actors on the walls. It was actually a lot more hip and upscale than the diners that I usually go to! The food, however, was pretty standard for a diner.

IMG_0102 (640x480)IMG_0104 (640x480)

I started with an iced coffee with cream and sugar.

To eat, I had an egg and cheese sandwich on a toasted everything bagel.

I love New York bagels in a weird way. They’re simply the best.

After breakfast, Theodora and I wandered around a nearby flea market.

We didn’t end up buying anything, but it was still fun to window shop and check out the goodies for sale. Flea markets rule.

Soon, it was time for me to go back to Boston, so I said goodbye to Theodora and Bailey, and then walked over to the bus stop for the Bolt Bus. I planned to take the 12:00 bus home, but the 11:00 was running late, so I made it just in time to snag a seat on the earlier bus. I’ll probably get home about 30 minutes early. Sweet.

Bus snacks: banana, KIND bar, and coconut water.

I’m spending the bus ride catching up on blogging. Stay tuned!

Ash Bear September 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

It was so wonderful seeing you this weekend, as always! I just sent the pictures your way! :)

Tina September 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

@Ash Bear: You too! Thanks for sending your pics over! :)

Khushboo September 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Can you believe I have NEVER tried a New York bagel??? APPALLING!

Ali @ Ali Runs September 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I need to visit NYC soon– all of your posts have me so jealous. The bagel sandwich looks delicious! Safe travels! :)

Gabe September 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Where is that flea market? I love going to them and this one looks like a new one.

Tina September 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

@Gabe: I’m not sure exactly, but it was really close to the diner!

Theodora September 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

@Tina: @Gabe: Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market! http://www.hellskitchenfleamarket.com/home/

Rebecca September 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm

There is nothing weird about loving NY bagels. I’m a Long Island native and no one here in PA understands my love for bagels and my refusal to call the bread here by that sacred name. No one makes ’em like NY delis. :)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews September 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Flea markets do rule! And I love the way that the cream looks going into your coffee. Great picture : )

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

That looks like a great flea market! I love browsing :)

That’s a very pretty cup of iced coffee!

Cait's Plate September 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

That iced coffee looks PERFECT.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I haven’t had a NY bagel in far too long. Mmm–with cream cheese and lox please!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Yum! Bagelwiches and Iced Coffee #FTW! I love getting egg and cheese on a cinnamon raisin bagel! :)

Emily @ The Finicky Farmer September 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm

What a lovely weekend in NYC! Beautiful pics of the flea market. And many congrats re: your recent 15-miler!!

Kath September 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Ahhhh I want those vintage boxes!!!

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Sounds like a great day!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I love going out for breakfast, but being gf and vegan doesn’t really cut it at most breakfast restaurants!!! I tried and tried to look for a GF NY bagel while I was there visiting Gabriela this summer, but I couldn’t find one!

Sana September 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Glad you had a fun NY trip!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Food tastes better in another city–that is prob why you love bagels in NY in a weird way 😉 Haha. That might be a guess, of course!

Hillary September 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I kind of love those old boxes. Weird, but true.

Traci September 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Nothing beats NY bagels!!! They are NOT the same elsewhere.

katie @ KatieDid September 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

gotta love wifi on the buses! I’m taking a bus down to boston next weekend and plan to do lots of blog work and catch up on the ride. Looks like a really fun morning!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Those are my 3 go-to airport snacks. Love thise Kind bars :)

Hilary September 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

That looks like a pretty good way to start your Sunday!

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

What a cool diner! I’m craving a New York bialy now. :-)

Corey @ Learning Patience September 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

NY bagels can’t be beat! Miss them so….
    xoxo from Trinidad

Ericka September 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm

So…I’ve never had a NY bagel but I’ve been reading about them so much from NY ladies that I’m feeling deprived. Lucky you! Everything has always been my absolute favorite — wish I could have joined you ladies!

Theodora September 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm

@Ericka: You need to come visit and do a long run with me and eat bagels with me!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life September 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm

New York bagels ARE the best! Paired with iced coffee.. is there anything better??

Alyssa September 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this, but NY bagels are so good because of the water used in the dough. Same for the pizza crust. That’s why they can’t be re-created anywhere else. :)

megan September 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

that flea market looks awesome! and it looks like a beautiful day in nyc !

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Looks like fun! And while I’m not sure if I’d personally be into buying anything from that market, they’re always fun to look through. :) Safe travels!

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

nothing compares to a new york bagel!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

The skies are GORGEOUS there! I love the bright blue color with the big puffy clouds. What a perfect day to be outside perusing the flea market!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Flea markets are so fun. I love rumaging around and seeing what goodies I just “have to have”!

Perfect ice coffee too…mmmmm, good :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’ve never had a new york bagel, granted I’ve only been to new york once, when I was in high school. Guess I’ll have to go back!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’ve never seen any flea markets in my area, but I love going to yard sales. I can always find at least a few great treasures!

Hannah September 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

That Iced Coffee looks spectacular!

Trish September 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

NYC is amazing to wake up to everyday – i do forget how lucky i am to live in an amazing city. My fiance is from Boston so i go there often and i always think to myself how amazing it must be to get up and be able to run along the river and when i see your pictures. Unfortunately in NY when it starts getting dark earlier (like now) i feel very unsafe running alone in Central Park (central park jogger) or WSH – so my 530 am weekday runs are on a treadmill booooooo

Lara @TresLaLa September 19, 2011 at 3:46 am

The flea market looks so amazing! Can’t believe that you’d didn’t pick up one of those pendants! My faves!

Christie September 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

You’re right. There’s something about those New York bagels. Simply the BEST.