• My Not-So-Relaxing Workspace

September 24, 2011

I spend an obscene number of hours each week in front of my computer in my home office, so you would think I’d try to make it a less stressful and enjoyable place to spend my time. Well, when we first moved into our new home last fall, that was my plan.

4592

But somehow, this idea for my office, turned into this:

IMG_0004-500x375-2

Eek! It’s not exactly what you call relaxing. It’s a tad overwhelming, right? It actually hurts my eyes to look at. GAH! Too much going on!

IMG_0019-500x3752

According to Lifehack, “the biggest key to creating a relaxing workspace is styling it in a way that makes you happy. If it feels right to you, then you’re on the right path.” The look of my current office definitely doesn’t feel right (or relaxing) to me, so I spent this morning on the internet looking for ideas and pricing some new furniture to turn it into a happier place to spend my time.

Here’s my newest inspiration:

2011-09-24_1104

Much better, right? I’m planning to start my office update later this week, so I’ll be sure to share my progress as I go along. I’m excited to get going on it!

I’m off to celebrate my sister’s 30th birthday with a family lunch. I hope you’re having a wonderful Saturday so far!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

ha ha – i actually find your space very relaxing!

Ashley September 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

I absolutely love that one poster “I love you blogs and coffee.” I can’t wait until I get out of this tiny NYC studio and can create a space to work in.

Deva @ deva by definition September 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

My workspace at work is very sparse because I prefer it that way. I love minimalist work spaces because I feel like they give my brain room to breathe!

The Purple Carrot September 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

I just rearranged my home office, and I totally understand, it’s amazing how much it helps! I still have a few finishing touches to complete the happy vibe but it’s much better.

Have fun!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 24, 2011 at 11:45 am

My “office” is the corner of my couch, closest to the power outlets for my laptop and printer. Fancy, I know.

Bridget September 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

Totally unrelated, but I thought you’d find this interesting (http://www.thehalloweenmarathon.com/) the runs are totally free and I thought your readers would be interested.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love your ideas and color palette! Looking forward to seeing what it ends up like.

I think it’s easy when you move into a new home to have all of these ideas, but then some of them just get put to the wayside because of time, money, etc. I’m definitely guilty of this! I’m currently trying to get started on working on our guest room which should’ve been done months ago!

Mer @mersworld September 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looks great! I’m in the middle of trying to figure out how to redo my office space as well! I was thinking that I need to do an inspiration board for some ideas. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 24, 2011 at 11:52 am

I like your blog space haha! Have fun today :)

Lauren @ Ultra Lauren September 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

That yellow cabinet is great! I just bought an ornate cabinet for my dining room on craigslist and painted it green and got new hardware. Total project cost $110! And I think it’s super cute. Here are some pics

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm

We work at home and my husband and I share an office, side-by-side. We have separate desks, but we still need a larger space. Hopefully when we buy our house, we’ll make the biggest, baddest office we’ve ever worked in. I agree with everything in the article. It has to feel right. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love your inspiration pictures! Blue and yellow look so fresh together.

Have fun with your family today!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yeah, I NEED calm in my workspace as well. Mine is a tad too cluttered right now….might need to get on that. Thanks for the inspiration! Have fun at the party/lunch :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I definitely don’t like too much on the walls in my workspace, it’s distracting! Looking forward to seeing the new office :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

The inspiration pics are gorgeous. Homegoods is perfect for cheap revamps :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh! I like the new inspiration personally.. and too much clutter is SO distracting. That reminds me of my desk.. I really am trying to keep it organized and minimal.

Molly @ RDexposed September 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I prefer simplistic. It relaxes me!

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Your workspace doesn’t look bad at all. Seriously, you should see mine!
    *sigh*

Michelle at Oats n' Bows September 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love your design ideas. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

I think that the thing that really does it for me in a workspace is natural light. If my desk isn’t by a window, I’m useless.

Happy birthday to your sister :]

Nancy September 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Can I make some suggestions?
    -Take your desk off the wall. Just turn it around and move it away from the wall with all the frames. Leave yourself enough space behind it for your chair and movement. You have a much better view and can even see out your window. You can get wire ties that will work to confine any visible computer wires. Also, if the back of the desk isn’t presentable. . ..
    -Paint the desk! I think your desk would look amazing in that yellow. What a great pop of color in room. You picked a nice color palette.
    -Last suggestion, paint the frame on the corkboard and find a wrapping paper pattern you love to cover the cork. It still functions as a cork board, but looks pretty.
    Just some suggestions. To be honest, I don’t think it’s all that bad now! But, you have to be comfortable in it. Have fun decorating in whatever way makes you happy!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

@Nancy: woww you’re good Nancy! ;)

B n B September 24, 2011 at 10:50 pm

@Nancy: yeah, come de-clutter my place will you Nancy? ;) It’s super small so you think I could have some control but apparently I’m a bit of a hoarder.

I’d love to have a separate room for a desk! My kitchen table serves as the desk too and the whole central point of my apartment right now. ;)

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Yay! Excited to see the update! You’re right, that inspiration picture is beautiful~And I agree with Nancy above me! taking it away from the wall might work much better! I mean, away from the corner? I’m no designer by any means,and I’m learning myself. :P

Khushboo September 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Am loving all the reminders to keep calm! :)

Ashley September 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Don’t worry, my desk looks 10 times worse than yours! I love the yellow dresser thing!

Sana September 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

My desk is like the central zone for my life, so it’s always a disaster!

Ali @ Ali Runs September 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I always feel like I can be so much more productive and relaxed in a calm environment. My apartment looks very cluttered and is very, very small and it’s so hard to get in the zone, which is why I spend so much time in the library. Gotta love grad school and studio apartments!!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog September 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love your new ideas and colors! Can’t wait to see it! :)

Kristy September 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Love the pug print.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I totally agree with everything you said about workspace, mood, vibe, etc…SO important!!!

I cannot work in a cluttered or messy space; either my desk, my kitchen, or really anywhere. The clutter and mess takes away from my creative juices or workflow b/c I just notice them more than what I should be doing.

Can’t wait to see the changes you make!

Lara @TresLaLa September 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Love the inspiration board! Design & colors are great! (Can I ask how you made the board though? I mean, how you made it then posted in here?)

Hillary September 24, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I don’t have very much room or resources to update my current “home office” (aka a desk in the middle of my living room. Ahh, single apartment living). But I love the ideas on that board!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory September 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I was just saying to my husband the other day that in our next house, I want a home office! Right now our desk/office area is shared with our 6 month old….how nice right?

Shaun @ snackasaurusrex September 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm

GET OUT! I just returned from IKEA, poured a glass of wine and am starting to assemble my new office furniture. We are FINALLY turning our spare bedroom into our office and getting our computer out of our kitchen. So glad to finally use the space we’ve paid for! Fun times!

Hannah September 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh gosh, I need to do this! I know the mess in my house contributes to my anxiety :(

Erin @ MyLemonTwist September 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Can’t wait to watch the changes happen! I love redecorating and seeing how other people transform spaces. Spray paint has become my new best friend! Oh and I totally heart the color scheme!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) September 25, 2011 at 7:44 am

I love watching people transform spaces in their house… excited to see what is to come! Have a great day!

Kara September 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Is that desk in the inspiration from crate and barrel? If so, I have it, and love it. I definitely recommend it…and it’s really easy to assemble because all you have to do is put on the legs w no tools required.

hallie September 26, 2011 at 9:45 am

OOO i really like your inspiration!! I love home makeovers, can’t wait to see how it comes out:)

Traci September 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I need to do the same thing in my home office. I don’t work from home & don’t do much work in the home office but it’s just a hot mess going on in there & I need to do something about it! Can’t wait to see pics of your process. Maybe it will motivate me.

Agatha September 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I do agree with you! For me personally too much stuff over there. Today at work I decided to clear my cluttered desk – and it feels so gooooddd!!! Then half of the problems disappear from your head!

Minimalist working desk/space – what I opt for :)

Alaina September 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Love the color scheme! Can’t wait to see what you come up with. :-)