• Fifteen

September 17, 2011

I ran 15 miles today. Yep, you read that correctly: 15 miles. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. And it was awesome.

Clearly, we take marathon training very seriously.

IMG_4457640x478_thumb

Theodora had 20 miles on her training schedule today, so she left her apartment bright and early to start her long run. (I ate breakfast and hung out with Bailey.)

The FITNESS Magazine 4-miler started at 10:00 AM, so I ran 3 miles on my own before, and then met Theodora at the start of the race.

I love running in Central Park, so I really enjoyed the race, but for some reason, it seemed like the longest 4 miles ever– maybe because I ran before and the bulk of my long run was after? Even still, I had a great time. We had perfect fall running weather today!

It definitely wasn’t my fastest race—I think Theodora and I finished close to 39:00—but racing wasn’t my top priority today. It was all about time on my feet.

After the race, I drank a Gu Brew for some extra electrolytes. The Lemon Lime flavor was really tasty.

Theodora and I hang around after the race for a little bit, and then headed to the West Side Highway Path to finish the rest of our run along the water.

Hi, Nate Berkus Show!

It was so pretty! I loved running along the water! We ran about 8 miles, which included few stops for water, photos, and meeting a puppy pug named Iggy. He was wearing the same cameo harness as Murphy, and we fell in love instantly.

3 miles + 4 miles + 8 miles = 15 miles!!! Booyah!

After our run, we loaded up on supplies: bagels.

Ice and beer. (Marathon training is wicked fun!)

Post run food: Everything Bagel with cream cheese.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale.

Once I had some food in my stomach and a beer in my hand, it was time for an ice bath.

A necessary evil.

Bearable with beer.

And then it was Theodora’s turn.

I’m glad we’re still friends after it.

I still can’t believe that I ran 15 miles today. It’s my longest training run for NYCM yet! Wahoo! My hip doesn’t feel 100%, but I wasn’t in pain during the run either. Hopefully, things continue to go well until November 6th!

Jennifer@ ItSuxToBeFat September 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm

WoW!!!! You make my 4.5 miles seem like nothing! Awesome job! I am also curious about the ice bath. I am going to google it and see what it is for. I am assuming relaxing the muscles?!? Way to go!

Laura @ Backstage Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I had a very similar day – 5 miles before a race, 5 miles during a race, then 8.5 afterwards! I did the final 8.5 headed home from Downtown and felt like a badass with my race bib still affixed. Then, I drove to the store and bought a 20lb bag of ice… MY GOD are ice baths horrible but awesome at the same time! I can’t believe you didn’t have socks on though… I’ve always gotta wear socks in ice baths, otherwise my feet won’t let the rest of me in the tub!

Amy Ramos September 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm

You rock!!
    I keep forgetting to tell you I got your book and I LOVE it. Thanks for the good read. Maybe if I make my way over to the east coast, I would love to meet you (well, Murphy too).

Hope the ice bath worked. Those are the devil for sure.

Casey @ oatsandnanners September 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I’ve been so nervous to try the ice bath!! I never know how many miles = need for an ice bath AND I don’t think I’d enjoy having icy lady parts :) Congrats on the 15 miler — keep up your training!

Kena September 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Awesome job! I have only run a half marathon! The pics of your ice bath made me laugh…my husband is an ultra runner so he is very familiar with the ice baths! I am running my 2nd half marathon in October! It is always inspiring to see people running and obtaining their goals! Happy training to you! My husband saw your friends “I love sweat” shirt…does it have a jack rabbit logo on the back of it? If so, the shop he works at printed them here in Boulder, Colorado.

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:45 am

@Kena: Yep, it does! Ali from Ali on the Run is selling them to raise money for the Crohns and Colitis Foundation: https://www.formstack.com/forms/jrab-ali_sweat I just bought one yesterday!

Heather September 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Congrats on the 15 miles, way to go!

B n B September 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

Do you find ice baths good after a run? I think it would cause my muscles to go into shock!

I do like the bagels though – just with AB and jam though :)

Hannah September 18, 2011 at 12:27 am

Well done you!!!

Khushboo September 18, 2011 at 12:58 am

I don’t know what I’m more in awe of- the 15 miles or the ice bath….either way, WELL DONE!

Jaclyn September 18, 2011 at 1:21 am

Wow, that’s a LOT of miles for one day!!

Hahha love the bathtub ice bath shots.!!! pumpkin beer = necessary for such an event !! :P

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 18, 2011 at 6:33 am

Wow 15 miles! I can’t imagine running that far at the moment but hopefully one day! Great job :)

Heidi (Balance Project) September 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Awesome….I hope I’m able to reach 15 miles in one day someday!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 18, 2011 at 11:06 am

haha you girls are so funny!~~and wowwwieee great job runnning 15 miles! I can’t imagine doing that, not for a while anyway :) ps: I looove those I <3 sweat tshirts!

Erin September 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

Congratulations on your awesome run!!! :) I’m happy to see that you’re hip is feeling better.

Allison September 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Congrats on completing the run! P.S. I was at Costco this morning and they’re having an art show and there was a cute pug picture- I immediately sent a pic to one of my girlfriends and thought of you too!

Pam September 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Wow great job!! You seem happiest when you are able to run.

Shannon J September 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Random question for you, where do you buy your chai seeds at? I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find them anywhere! Any suggestions?

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:46 am
    Alyssa September 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Awesome job on the 15 miles!!

Tropical Eats September 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm

great job on the run!

Daniella @ Runner at Heart September 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on your long run and the ice bath those are worse than the run I think.

Sarah September 19, 2011 at 2:32 am

Check this article out- a good explanation of cold therapy & ice baths.

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:46 am

@Sarah: Thank you!!!

Lara @TresLaLa September 19, 2011 at 3:48 am

Holy cow! I have NEVER been able to stand an ice bath. I can hardly stand an ice pack on my knee… Amazing. Maybe I just need to try it with beer…

Mandy September 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

Congrats on the 15 miles Tina! I’m sure that really reassured you, you still have plenty of time before the marathon to keep up the good work!

Traci September 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

WOW!!! 15 mi. is so amazing! I’m just training for a 5K so I can’t imagine running that far!

Carissa September 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

Punkin Ale is my favorite pumpkin beer! Yum!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd September 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

I think a bigger feat than running 15 miles is spending any time in that ice bath! yikes! I kid, I kid. CONGRATS on the run!

KatieG. @ Just Roll With It September 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

that is my favorite beer!!! I wait all year for it to come out…going to be about 30 minutes from the brewery this weekend, I definitely need to pick some up before it’s all gone around here!! Congrats on the 15!!! That ice bath looks vicious!

Christina September 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I saw you guys on your way to the Fitness 4m run! I was going to stop and say hi but you guys were running and I thought you were probably doing a long run. Next time I’ll flag you guys down though :) Glad you had an awesome run!

OMG that 4m run felt long but it was great! It was my 1st official 4m race! yay!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Y’all are stinkin’ awesome!! Congrats on the 15 miles!!! That’s awesome.

Punkin’ ale is sooo amazing. I love it!

Annette | Bucket List Journey September 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Kudos to you and your 15 miles! It makes me sweaty and tire just thinking about it ;)

Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Wow 15 miles! awesome! Oof the ice bath terrifies me. Not that I’m running 15 miles. or 1 mile… LOL brrr