• Beer Me

September 18, 2011

Marathon training

day drinking =

Clearly, those Punkin Ales went right to our heads.

Theodora and I continued our day drinking with Ashley and Bo (Ashley’s husband) at Happy Hour.

We planned to meet at The Ginger Man, but it was super crowded when we arrived, so we went next door to the Galway Hooker Pub, which was much more chill.

I ordered a Sam Adams Octoberfest (and a glass of water). I’m not usually a Sam Adams fan (besides their Boston Lager), but the Octoberfest was really great—malty and very flavorful. I’d definitely order it again at a bar.

IMG_0050 (640x480)IMG_0051 (480x640)

A little while later, it was time for the four of us to head to BLT Fish to meet Gabriela, Clare, and Rebecca for dinner.

Last week, Ashley saw a tweet from BLT Fish about a special beer pairing (3 courses + 3 beers) that they planned to offer during NYC Craft Beer Week, so she suggested it for dinner. Beer dinner? Stellar idea, Ashley.

IMG_0060 (640x480)IMG_0061 (640x480)

As soon as we sat down at our table, the most delicious garlic bread was served to us. I really wanted to eat the whole thing myself, but I decided to share with my friends.

As a second appetizer, Bo ordered the seafood sampler for the table, which was absolutely massive. It was three tiers, packed full of fresh shrimp, lobster, clams, oysters, crab, and more. It was quite the sight to see!

I think this photo says it all:

For my entrée, I was all about the special pre-fixe Craft Beer Week menu. I mean, three courses and three full-size pints of beer for only $40?! Sign me up.

Picture-33

As soon as we placed our orders, out came the first round of beers. The Blue Point Toasted Lager was my favorite beer of the night—medium-bodied, malty, and smooth. Perfect.

Cheers!

IMG_0081 (640x480)IMG_0082 (640x480)

The Blue Point Toasted Lager was paired with a Sweet Corn & Maryland Crab Chowder, which was tasty, but the Smoked Paprika Toast on the side really got my attention. The smoked paprika was outstanding. I think everyone at our table made a comment about how delicious it tasted.

Picture-34

The main course was Tempura-Fried Branzino with braised Swiss Chard and Lemon-Jalapeno Aioli, paired with a bottle of Lagunitas IPA. This pairing didn’t knock my socks off, but I still liked it.

IMG_0089 (640x480)IMG_0092 (480x640)

The final course was easily the best pairing of the night: Mini Donuts & Chocolate Sauce with Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout. The mini donuts were actually more like churros. They were light, fluffy, and not overly sweet. The chocolate dipping sauce paired wonderfully with the Oatmeal Stout. Mmm!

IMG_0097 (480x640)IMG_0099 (640x480)

When it comes to drinking beer, I don’t normally have a problem holding my own, but, last night, I was seriously struggling to keep up with everyone else. Even still, I gave it my best effort!

Good times! I love blogger dinners!

After dinner, a few of us went out to another bar for a final beer. I drank about 3/4 of my pint, but I just couldn’t finish it. My body was so over drinking beer. At that point it was pretty late in the night, so Theodora and I headed home and went straight to bed.

Holy beer.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm

What a fun evening! I’m not normally a beer fan but I have also never tried anything that sounded so fun like the oatmeal stout and various pumpkin beers I have been reading about! Might need to get on that! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Wow, what a fun evening!! That seafood appetizer looks incredible! I would’ve been all over that.

stefanie September 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

This is a random question, but I just bought my first jar of sunflower seed butter & it seems really runny compared to PB, am I supposed to refridgerate it?

Tina September 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm

@stefanie: Yep! I refrigerate mine!

stefanie September 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

@Tina: Thanks! should I give it a good stir before sticking it in the fridge or should i have to stir it every time i use it?

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:39 am

@stefanie: You might have to stir it every time you use it. Which type of sunflower butter do you buy? I buy SunButter and it isn’t runny at all.

Molly @ RDexposed September 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Nothing says colder weather like an oatmeal stout.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a perfect day! And that seafood appetizer is massive!

Sana September 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Holy moly seafood!

Siobhan @ Sion 'n the Run September 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

SO FUN! I love trying new foods and new beers to go with them!
    AND- HOLY 3 TIER SEAFOOD PLATTER! That looks delicious!!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

You more than deserve a beer(s)! Well done on the 15 miles yesterday! :)

Cheryl Mosley September 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Tina: I have been following you for a few months and love your blog. My family and I are relocating from GA to NH in a couple of months and I am nervous. Do you you run and train in the snow? Ha! Also, we are heading to Boston to look around in a week–do you have any favorite restaurants that you can recommend?

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

@Cheryl Mosley: Winter running is fun! Check out this post: http://carrotsncake.com/2011/02/how-i-survive-winter-running.html

As for restaurant recommendations, check out my Boston page: http://carrotsncake.com/2011/06/i-think-ill-go-to-boston.html There’s lots of good info there!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Sounds like a fun time! Haha great pics :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Lots of beer, lots of fun. Glad you had a good time with everyone!

Pam September 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm

One of those bloggers is an IIN student, I just read her post and saw you on it, how cool!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm

what a fun evening indeed!!!

Ali @ Ali Runs September 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I love Sam Adams Octoberfest! it is one of the fall beers that I look forward to most! Love the seafood sampler– holy delicious!!

Cait's Plate September 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm

YAY!! BLT Fish is the best! My boyfriend’s sister used to work there and we used to be VIP treatment, it’s so great :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Haha I would be over beer at that point too! But that seafood platter looks like something I’d see at some fancy cocktail party! Very serious!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me September 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

haha looks like a great time! :)

Erin @ Erin Running College September 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm

All that food looks so yummy, I started your book yesterday and just cannot put it down! Absolutely love it and all of the recipes!

Theodora September 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Please come back? Thanks.

Hillary September 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

It’s events like this that make me wish I liked beer!

Joan September 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Tina: I am a new follower of yours. I was lovin’ this post because my sister and I have had some silly times “day-drinking” ourselves! Oktoberfest is a great beer…. I am a Sam Adams lover! And thank you for being “normal” as you train for your marathon (i.e.~ Not obsessive over food, times, etc). I have recently had a baby and am just getting into running again, and I would love to run my first Half-Marathon before she is a year old! So needless to say, I’m following your training, weight loss tips, and health.com blog! Best of luck, and bottoms up!

Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl September 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm

What a fun time! That seafood sampler would quite literally be the death of me–shellfish allergies are NO fun! :(

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

WOW. That is a lot of beers! But that seafood sampler stole my eyesight–that is HUGE! Looks like it was a delicious kind of night :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

That appetizer is seriously intense!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Wow, that sampler looks right up my alley! I love seafood. Unfortunately, I don’t think I could get through the three beers! I get so full and tipsy so quickly!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That $40 deal is really good!

I love Sam Adams Octoberfest — it is such a good flavor and I love that so many restaurants have it during this time of the year.

J @ ... semplicemente j ... September 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Seafood sampler looks fabulous! I ate dinner already, but for that I could do a re-do!

Clare @ Fitting It All In September 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm

such a fun night:)

Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. September 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

That’s ALOT of beer – I guess not alot of Miller lights but full flavored rich beer – yep, ALOT! Looks like a delicious and fun night though! Great to see you with other bloggers, so fun!

Anne P September 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Lol I miss you guys! Wish I had been there!! xo

Neyal @ Looking Up While Slimming Down September 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Looks like fun. That seafood sampler is crazy!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I’d have almost been passed out by that many beers. I’ve turned into such an old lady at the ripe old age of 29! It’s pathetic. Looks like such a fun night!

Emily September 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

That is a seriously beer-crazy night! Looks like it was a blast. That seafood appetizer looks phenomenal! Happy recovering tonight :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm

HOLY beer is right – and HOLY sea food platter! That appetizer is crazy!

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Wowzers! Looks incredible!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That is an epic-looking night! I love how yummy the donuts with chocolate sauce look – soo good. I don’t think I would have made it through all of the beer, though!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog September 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The seafood appetizer looks amazing and massive!

Malia @ Life is good girl September 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm

WOW! Thatsa lotta grub! My mouth is watering for that garlic bread. I’m suprised you didn’t have to be wheeled outta there!

WineandGoodFood September 18, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Looks like so much fun and I was drooling over the seafood app! A perfect way to spend an evening!

Ari @ Ari's Menu September 19, 2011 at 1:34 am

I LOVE oatmeal stout! Yummm! Sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a good trip :)

Khushboo September 19, 2011 at 2:40 am

You know you’re an oatmeal lover when the only beer that marginally appeals to you contains the word oatmeal :)!

Lara @TresLaLa September 19, 2011 at 3:44 am

OH, man! That night looks so fantastic!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 19, 2011 at 5:12 am

Wow that seafood platter is amazing! A tower of good eats :)

Katie @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 19, 2011 at 6:02 am

What a fun night!! And is that a banana telephone? Hahah, I have definitely been/there done that! Totally allowed btw, especially when hanging with good friends and training for a marathon.

Tina September 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

@Katie @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com: Yep! Theodora is a big fan of the banana phone!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd September 19, 2011 at 10:52 am

Girl it sounds to me like you were doing a great job with the beer! I went to an Oktoberfest this weekend and didn’t do as well as you, haha :) I wish I had that yummy food to pair with my beers but instead the beer was my dinner…oopsy!

Nina Aydelotte September 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The first picture pretty much sums up the night.

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Ain’t no dinner like a beer pairing dinner ’cause a beer pairing dinner’s GOT BEER!

But really, that looked like a delicious meal, and I’m a huge fan of affordable pairings like that. Thank goodness for beer weeks!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm

What a fantastic evening out!! I love it!

Natalie September 21, 2011 at 3:15 am

I heart beer.
    I have never tried pumpkin beer and pumpkin is my favorite food in the world :(
    I am drinking an aussie beer called pure blonde.
    I am brunette.