• Back-to-School

September 6, 2011

Good morning!

Mal is back-to-school today, which means our summer is officially over. Wah.

2011-09-05_1855

I’m actually looking forward to the start of the ‘new year.’ Back-to-school time always feels like turning over a new leaf with regard to getting back on track and sticking to a schedule once again. I like that feeling.

Breakfast

Since Mal needed to get to school this morning, I woke up with him and made us breakfast (like I usually do during the academic year). I cooked scrambled egg whites with chopped onions and green bell pepper.

_MG_3502 (640x426)

On the side: whole wheat toast with melted cheddar and iced coffee.

2011-09-06_0725
    _MG_3505 (640x426)

Last Night’s Dinner

Mal and I fired up the grill for dinner last night. We might as well take advantage of the barbequing weather for as long as we can!

IMG_0054 (640x480) (640x480)

On the menu: veggie skewers + marinated chicken.

2011-09-06_0735

After dinner, I enjoyed a piece of Banana Bread with melted butter while watching Bachelor Pad. Don’t you think Mal looks just like Kirk? They even dress the same. Mal owns the exact same tank top blue plaid shirt Kirk wore last night.

What is one lesson you learned in school that you will never forget?

My answer: Treat others the way you want to be treated.

In middle school, I was “dumped” by my close group of friends. I went from having a wonderful social circle and friends that I could trust (or so I thought) to just one or two pals who stuck by my side. Ever since feeling alone and rejected, I try to treat everyone kindly and the way I want to be treated.

P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway on Trading Up Downtown for Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks coffee!

jane September 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm

why do you eat only egg whites? i always thought all the nutrients were in the yolk. thanks!

Tina September 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

@jane: We were out of eggs this morning. I usually eat regular eggs (for the nutrients).

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

How sweet of you to get up and make mal breakfast! Maybe I would do that too if my boyfriend wasn’t working the 5 am to 5 pm shift this week:) I completely agree with your lesson. Adults can be just as bad as kids. Another great lesson is “learn to listen” it amazes me how many people just interupt others at meetings thinking that if they are louder and pushier they will get their point across

jane September 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm

:-) haha-got it.

Pickynikki September 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I can relate to your answer for what you learned in school… still dealing with that in my adulthood. Some people just go from convenient friend to convenient friend, and as a loyal friend I tend to feel burned when this happens. As much I see it happen and know they are like that, it still hurts when you give and give, and nothing ever seems to be returned, you just feel burned!
    BTW I am impressed you make Mal breakfast everyday!! I am not that good of a wife, I do barely wake up as he kisses me bye for the day! Does that count for anything?? ;)

Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I LOVE banana bread!!! Such a great, comforting breakfast!! You totally started my iced coffee addiction…in a good way…:) thanks!!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Aww look at Murphy’s sweet sad pug face! LOVE that face!

I too really love that feeling of ‘getting back on schedule’… something is engrained in us I think when fall begins and school starts… even if we aren’t in school. It’s a good feeling! Having a schedule and an Autumn routine is very comforting :)

Besides a very vivid memory of a few math tricks I learned one day after school in 4th grade (this is weirdly solidly and vividly imprinted in my memory haha) I would have to say I learned that ‘It’s not always about you’… I did a lot of theatre in high school and ended up getting a degree in classical vocal performance. From both experiences I learned that there is a whole wide world of very talented and good hearted performers out there that worked just as hard as I did. It was humbling.

Travelling and auditioning was SO SO SO humbling. It helped me to better appreciate others and not feel so competitive in that negative way. There is nothing wrong with a little healthy competition to motivate yourself to do better but it should never be personal. Now that I don’t sing or perform seriously anymore, I have transferred that thinking to running an other things in my life. I try to focus on the big picture and recognize all the other fabulous people out there that I can learn from.

Tina September 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

@Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites: That is a great lesson!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Omannnn I just saw the banana bread recipe and I want some!! My fave bread….ok, that’s next up on my baking list :P

Emily@SavoryandSavage September 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I had a falling out with my group of friends at the end of elementary school. Starting middle school with very few friends was tough so I can totally relate.

The biggest thing I learned from school is to be brave enough to approach people – it is the only way to make new friends.

Hillary September 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I love that you wake up with Mal to make/eat breakfast together. That makes me so happy for some reason.

One of the biggest lessons I learned in school was how necessary it was to advocate for myself. I really didn’t understand how important this was until high school and college, but it was a great life lesson: speak up and ask for help!

Tina September 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

@Hillary: That’s a great lesson!

Samantha @ Because I Can September 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I can relate to your lesson as well. I had friends that I met in 9th grade (twin sisters) and we did so much together. Senior year I was a HORRIBLE friend and took a boy to prom that was one of the twins crushes.

I was still friends through all of this with the other twin. Thank goodness I was able to reconnect with the other twin and we let our differences go.

We’re still friends now – 16 years later. Or as the twins put it, “We’ve been friends longer than we haven’t been friends.”

Lesson learned: NEVER EVER put someone between you and your true, good friends. It’s not worth it.

Kim @ girlevolving September 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I LOVE that first picture of you and Murphy. It’s striking!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Murphy looks absolutely devasted! He doesn’t want his dad to go to work!

Heather September 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Oh my gosh, I was thinking last night how much Mal looks like Kirk and was going to Tweet you but then felt creepy since I really don’t know you and Mal but feel like I do thank to CNC! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m really looking forward to getting back to a schedule too once my classes start on Thursday. I feel so much less anxious when I can stick to a routine! :P

Margaret September 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Take everything with a grain of salt! Girls can be unpredictable – I learned this in high school. It is a lesson that will follow us through life, though. Keep your head up and all will be well.

Back to school for me, as well! Love this time of year!

Katie @ Plates and Paste September 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm

You waste everyone’s time when you’re late…for some reason that has stuck with me and as a result I hate being late!

Pam September 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wow back to school already! My 3 1/2 yr old nephew starts pre-school this week, I cannot believe it! My sister has to make him lunches because the pre-school lunches are pretty atrocious, it’s sad what they feed kids in school.
    Good Luck to Mal!
    One lesson I learned in school is to treat yourself and others with respect.

hemp jogger September 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm

be nice to everyone…you never know how much you might make someone’s day just by smiling, or what they’ve got going on, etc. or kill ‘em w/ kindness!

Katie @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Love banana bread, will have to try your recipe! I start the day off with iced coffee too with a splash of soymilk and drops of stevia… yummmm!

Hillary September 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Don’t talk behind other people’s backs.

It is way too easy to do. We ALL do it. I still do it. But now I think about it much more. I refrain from it. Why is it necessary? 98% of the time, it’s not. How would you feel if someone did that to you?

(treat others how you want to be treated always applies)

Allison September 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Hope Mal had a fab first day of school! I survived my first day as a first-year teacher :D barely haha, I’m exhausted!

Nicole @ Giraffelegs September 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm

awww murphy looks so sad!!!

Wendi September 7, 2011 at 12:56 am

Hahaha oh my goodness Kirk and Mal are total twins. I watching Bachelor Pad last night too and couldn’t think of who he looked like but now I know. Craziness lol. I hope you guys had a great Labor Day weekend and a had an even better start to the work/school week. Summer is over but fall is just beginning :)

peacebeme September 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

I love the back to school feeling too! Always feels like a hopeful new start. That’s what I am hoping for this year!

CampingGirl September 7, 2011 at 6:56 am

I learned this from my dad but it helped me all through school. “Never be afraid to ask a question.”

Dawn September 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I’m a big nerd, but school taught me how much fun learning can be. I still study & research just for fun and am also still a complete bookworm.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I haaaated my friends in middle school – but I loved them. Kind of like that mean girls horrible relationship where everyone talked behind everyones backs and loved each other to their face.

Melanie September 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I am a teacher as well and I think it’s sweet that you made breakfast. My boyfriend and I are slowly adjusting to me going back to work. He makes coffee and breakfast every morning as I am usually in a huge rush out the door. I have been a crazy mess with the start of a new school year but he is beyond supportive. I think it takes a very patient and caring person to be in a relationship with a teacher. =) As for a lesson I learned in school, I must admit I was not a good student but I do remember learning that some teachers really do care. I had two teachers that showed they truly cared about my well being. As a young student you don’t usually think teachers care as much as they do.