• Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod

August 19, 2011

Who knew Cape Cod produced such tasty wine? I definitely didn’t. This was a nice, little discovery when I visited the Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod with my family yesterday afternoon. Apparently, sandy soil, warm ocean breezes, and a temperate climate combine to produce some quality wine-making grapes.

IMG_0038 (500x375) IMG_0051 (500x375)

The Truro Vineyards grow Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot on their 5-acre farm. They also source grapes from vineyards in Massachusetts, New York, and California, which allows them to make a greater variety of wines. This year, they produced 13 different wines. Pretty good for a small vineyard, right?

When we arrived at the vineyard, we decided to take a free tour. (They’re offered everyday at 1:00 and 3:00 PM.) It lasted about an hour, and we learned all about the vineyard, its history, and the wine it produces.

After the tour, we did a tasting of 10 different wines. Not surprisingly, I enjoyed most of the white wines, including the 2010 Pinot Grigio and the 2009 Vignoles.

The reds were wonderful too, but my favorite of the bunch was the 2008 Triumph, which I now regret not buying a bottle of. It would be so perfect with some stinky cheese while relaxing on our back porch one evening. Oh, well.

Tasting Notes: Triumph is a classic Bordeaux-style blend that is both bold and elegant. This balanced blend of 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot and 7% Cabernet Franc has good tannic structure plus plenty of dry, inviting oak. this dry red wine enhances beef, lamb and hardy cheeses.

IMG_0056 (500x375) IMG_0057 (500x375)

After the vineyard, we visited the Chatham Lighthouse and beach. We looked for Great White sharks in the ocean, but no luck. We did, however, see a few seals!

Corey @ Learning Patience August 19, 2011 at 9:54 am

Fun – I love visiting wineries! xoxo from Trinidad

Cait's Plate August 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh my gosh. It’s SO beautiful there – you lucked out with such a beautiful day!

Ali @ Ali Runs August 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

When I went to Cape Cod last year, we had a bottle of wine from there and it was delicious! I didn’t realize there was a vineyard so close! I’ll definitely have to check it out next time. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat August 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

Looks like a lovely place! Glad you are having a good time with family :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 19, 2011 at 10:20 am

What a gorgeous place to visit!

I love wine :)

allison @ thesundayflog August 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

my favorite is the diamond white in the lighthouse bottle! it tastes like white grape juice haha. and yes, i agree. the triumph is AMAZING. my parent’s house is about 2 miles from the vineyard so we go every year! glad you had such a great cape trip! hopefully see you this weekend!

Lauren August 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

I visited the Truro Vineyards with my parents last summer – absolutely loved it! I, too, was impressed with the delicious wine produced in Cape Cod.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacay. Cape Cod is truly the quintessential summer getaway.

Love your tank top, by the way – lovely color on you!

Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 19, 2011 at 10:25 am

Wow, gorgeous! Can’t beat wine tasting and scenery like that! :)

Beth (Well Ill Be) August 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

Ah wine and the beach, my two favorite things!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 19, 2011 at 10:48 am

oh FUN! I love the beach pictures. Seriously, SO pretty up in there :)

Chicago Cuisine Critique August 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

It looks like so much fun! I love wine tastings, especially at vineyards. Definitely one of my favorite activities. :)

Alaina August 19, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love visiting wineries in the area! My husbands favorite is Nashoba Valley. I would love to visit the Cape Cod wineries sometime. :-)

Joan August 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

Since I’m from CA….loved the sign! LOL

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’ve never been to a vineyard. I would love to go though!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I love going on wine tours when on vacation! I was shocked this year at some of the wineries down the cape when we went back in July! I had no idea about the wine market down there… I thought it was all cranberries! Haha

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic August 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love Truro wines and would def make plans to visit the vineyard soon too!

Meg August 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I am dying to go to the Truro Vineyards! We go down to Ptown every year and have yet to do that tour. Maybe that will be the last trip we take down the Cape this summer! Thanks for reminding me about it, you looked like you had a great time and are having an awesome summer!

Shayla @ The Good Life August 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm

What a fun day! I love going to wineries! And I love the sign that says Napa, 3,100 miles—>, I appreciate it since I live in CA pretty close to Napa :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love wine tastings! What a fun idea for a vacation activity!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 19, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Cape Cod looks gorgeous! And those vineyards remind me of Napa Valley in CA. Have you ever been there?

I think you’d like it :)

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Looks like fun! I’m a fan of hearty reds.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love it when free tours at wineries come with free wine tastings after! :D

Sam F August 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Living on the Cape, I have been to Truro Vineyard several times, and I have to say, they make one of my all time favorite red wines… I hope you tried it, called Cranberry Red? It is a very unique, sweet and tart red wine that is just delicious, even my non-alcohol enjoying husband likes it! It also comes in an adorable lighthouse shaped wine bottle. I am glad you had a good Cape vaca and the weather got better!

Katie @ Plates and Paste August 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Sounds like a lovely, perfect day!

Hannah August 19, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Look at that beautiful weather! Hurry up and arrive, Spring in Australia!!