• Running Medals

August 2, 2011

Check out the collection of running medals that I’ve acquired!

To date, I’ve run 23 road races, but I only have 10 medals to show for it. Of course, not every race I’ve run has given out a medal at the end of it. I actually used throw away my medals. (I once told Caitlin this, and I thought she was going to have a heart attack!) Ok, let me explain…

When I got injured after running my first half marathon, I thought I would never run long distances again. I spent months and months in physical therapy and never really recovered, so I spent a lot of time angry and frustrated that I couldn’t run.

When it came time to move (again) into a new apartment, instead of packing my medals, I just tossed them in the trash (like I do with a lot of stuff). I honestly didn’t think running as hobby was in my future. Now, I obviously regret not saving them, especially since I won’t ever get back my very first road race medal or my first half marathon medal. Wah. This makes me sad.

Well, the day that I crossed the finish line of the Rock ‘N’ Roll Arizona Marathon and earned my 26.2-mile medal, I knew that I would never ever throw away a race medal again. No matter what the distance, a medal is hard-earned and deserves to be celebrated. It should not be tossed in the trash.

Up until this afternoon, I proudly displayed my medals on the corner of my dresser mirror. I get dressed there every morning, so they often make me smile and remind me of my running accomplishments.

A few weeks ago, however, I noticed that my medals weren’t as prominently displayed as I thought. It turns out that you can’t really see them unless you stand in front of my dresser.

Of course, this wasn’t a big deal, but when Ali blogged about her new Running Medal Display Rack, I knew it was exactly what I needed to show off my medals, so I purchased the same one (in a different color) and hung it in my office.

How cute is this thing?!

Check ‘em out! Now, I can see my running medals in all of their glory! This makes me happy.

What do you do with your race medals?

Lunch

Mal and I took a break from working this afternoon to eat lunch together outside on the back porch. I had a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich with mayo, sliced tomato, and a pickle on the side.

I also ate a bunch of Kettle chips, which ended up in my sandwich. I love the crunch!

IMG_0003 (500x375) IMG_0010 (500x375)

Murphy kept us company on the porch and watched closely for dropped pieces of food. He’s such a little scavenger.

Pug owners: Does your dog often sit with his/her leg out to the side like this or is Murphy just weird?

Snack

A couple of hours later, I snacked on a caramel Oikos with chocolate-covered sunflower seeds mixed in. Mmm! It was the perfect sweet snack.

I’m doing a little more work and then taking the rest of the night off to relax! Wahoo!

lisa @ early morning run August 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm

that’s the best running medal rack I’ve seen. Love it!

Kellie August 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I toss my medals in a drawer. I love the display rack idea! Thanks!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That medal rack is AWESOME!!!! I only have two medals so I guess I don’t need that just yet. :) My half marathon medal is in a shadow box with my race number and finish line photo.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm

My pug, which is now in the care of a great cousin, always sat in the most bizarre positions… As long as he is touching his owner or directly underfoot he is perfectly happy!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family August 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm

LOVE the medal rack!!

I don’t have a pug but I do have a puggle (pug+beagle) and he sits like that ALL the time. We call it his lazy pose. :)

jen August 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I have 12 medals now, and this Christmas I am going to replace the ribbon and hang them on the tree.

crista August 3, 2011 at 12:01 am

Oh my gosh! I ran my first race less then a year ago and I’ve completed 4 road races… I’ve thrown away all of my medals! I hang them on my door knob for the week after and then toss them. I never know what country I’m going to be in year to year so I’m in a habit of disposing of most things. Eeek, time to rethink because it now seems running is important to me.
    Love the pug pictures :) my toy poodle used to sit like that. I wonder if it’s just male dogs…

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life August 3, 2011 at 12:02 am

oh, i love your medal hanger! and it fits so well on that wall. :)

alex August 3, 2011 at 12:26 am

Our French Bulldog sits like that all the time! We call it the “side-hip.” :)

Nataly August 3, 2011 at 12:28 am

Chocolate covered sunflower seeds are so delicious, I must try them in yogurt as well!

The Healthy Engineer August 3, 2011 at 12:34 am

This reminds me of the time when I used to do soccer as a kid and they gave you a medal or trophy just for playing :)

Those were the good days!

Katie August 3, 2011 at 12:41 am

I love that you put chips on your sandwich! Me too! Also, I had no idea that they made chocolate covered sunflower seeds … those sound delish!

Khushboo August 3, 2011 at 1:01 am

Wowie that’s a lot of medals! I think displaying them is a great idea and I can imagine it being a huge motivator to keep running!

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 3, 2011 at 2:54 am

Our little chihuahua cross sits like that all the time :) Oh and crisp sandwiches are the best!! Carbs on carbs whats not to love!? :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 3, 2011 at 3:17 am

Those sunflower seeds look like a chic version M&Ms :D

Susan August 3, 2011 at 7:25 am

I hang my medals above my computer at work. When I am overworked, stressed, and unmotivated, they make me smile!

Beth August 3, 2011 at 7:51 am

Winston (my pug) sits like that, I looked and looked but couldn’t find a picture.

Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl August 3, 2011 at 8:09 am

I only have one race medal for my first half marathon. I need to find a good way to display the future ones I hope to get! I love how you displayed yours!

Wifey August 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

Love the new medal display. I need to get one. Mine are hanging from my bulletin board above my desk. They’re an awesome reminder of what I can accomplish!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Kate August 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

I have a pug and she sits like that all the time! She also sits all the way back on her butt which leaves her little back paws sticking up in the air…soooo cute!

Kristen, Sweetly August 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hilarious photo of the puppy! And I love chips on sandwiches… especially pb&j when I was little.

Mimi August 3, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hi Tina – My local running store donates medals to a charity called Medals4Mettle. This non-profit gives them to children and adults going thru difficult illnesses.

Medals4Mettle (M4M) is a non-profit organization founded in Indianapolis, Indiana, in 2005. Its mission is to celebrate and reward the individual and collective courage of all human beings by facilitating the gifting of marathon, 1/2 marathon, and triathlon finisher’s medals from people who have demonstrated similar mettle or courage. Certainly everyone cannot run a marathon or compete in a triathlon, but people who are battling life-threatening illnesses and severe disabilities demonstrate mettle everyday. The recipients can be any age and might have exhibited such mettle by dealing with disease, handicaps or any similar challenge. Athletes around the world who have won medals, give their medals to Medals4Mettle. Then the nationwide network of physicians and local M4M Chapters award these medals to those who might not be able to run a marathon or compete in triathlon, but are in their own marathon to continue to live their life. As marathoners and triathletes run through the streets, large crowds cheer the runners for their effort, and these same runners cheer the wheelchair competitors that they may pass on the course. Medals4Mettle lets these runners/triathletes, healthy enough to compete in such an event, to return the cheers to those who have supported them. Medals4Mettle celebrates our collective human courage and our innate desire to reward and support each other as we all face life’s challenges.

Becky August 3, 2011 at 9:41 am

we’ve got a 4 year old mutt and she sits that way too. Must not just be a pug thing. :)

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? August 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

Alouysius, our Pug, does that all the time – I tell my husband that the dog is just chillin’ out. It’s the cutest thing!

Patti August 3, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh my gosh, yes!!! My pug, Weenie, sits like that ALL of the time!! Murphy is beyond adorable….Every day while reading your blog I hope that you post pictures of him. It really brings a smile to my face :-)

Kristin August 3, 2011 at 10:23 am

Love this medal display rack. I have a few and have them in random drawers and gym bags. I was just wondering the other day about what other people do with theirs… Thanks for sharing!

Julie August 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I used to throw away my medals too… not one for keeping that stuff around. Recently, however, I started taking the medals off of their ribbon and attaching magnets to the back. Now, they’re all going up on the fridge!

Kelsey August 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love chocolate covered sunflower seeds! They have them everywhere here in kansas.

Wendy Irene August 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

The sign and medals look great hanging under your pictures! That was a really good idea.

Katy August 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I LOVE that medal rack – where did you get it?

Mimi August 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Dogs often sit like that when their front legs are shorter than their back legs.

Luv What You Do August 4, 2011 at 12:00 am

Luv the display rack…I will have to get one! I have been keeping my medals down stairs on the key rack (for a week or two) and then moving them to a bin. The racis much cuter!

Ps How is the caramel Oikos. It is my fave Greek yogurt, but I always buy plain and add fruit, cereal etc. I have been wondering about the sweet flavors!

Terri Lynne September 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hi came across your blog via another website; love this post. To answer your question I had a liver transplant; I started running in 2005 and couldn’t run a lap on the track. I worked my way up to running a full marathon. I also competed in 5 U.S. Transplant Games (like the Olympics, I did track).

I gave most of my medals away to donor families and one to the doctor who did my transplant surgery. I have kept five of them including my marathon medal. They are hanging on my dresser.

God bless and happy running! Terri

Terri Lynne September 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

btw to yall who throwing them away or storing them, no, you earned them and should be proud of them, you should display them! :)

Danielle October 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love your pictures and your running medals holder. Where did you get your pictures? I especially love the one that says I love you, blogs, and coffee! I need to get that for myself and a friend! :)

Japi Ignacio October 27, 2011 at 4:33 am

What a great Idea! I’d like to make one of this. I currently have a frame for 6 of my medals – I have 8 at the moment, not sure where to put the 2 new hard earned medals….but this is certainly a good idea!

janine November 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’ve only done two races so have them hanging from my car mirror but I have an old hoe (Just the bottom part) that’s vintage to hang from the wood beam in my house that I’ll probably hang more. Great idea to display them. Love your rnr az one!

Brianna March 18, 2012 at 12:28 am

I own a puggle and he always sits like that!

April June 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Love the new medal hanger/sign! FUN