• CNW: Week 4 – Day 2

August 9, 2011

Here’s a Body Pump-inspired workout that you can do at home or the gym!

IMG_6857

For this workout, I worked each muscle group by doing continuous reps for three minutes straight and then moving immediately to the next exercise without resting. I used three sets of dumbbells (8 lbs, 10 lbs, and 12 lbs) for the various exercises. Be sure to chose a weight that will fatigue your muscles, but don’t go too heavy because you want to last the entire three minutes.

• Squats: Dumbbell Squat
    • Chest: Chest Press
    • Back: Single Arm Row (90 seconds each side)
    • Triceps: Single Arm Extensions (90 seconds each side)
    • Biceps: Bicep Curls
    • Lunges: Alternating Dumbbell Lunges
    • Shoulders: Lateral Raises (90 seconds) + Shoulder Press (90 seconds)
    • Abs: Your choice on stability ball

If you’re unsure of any of the exercises, search YouTube for video demonstrations. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michele August 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

LOVE this!! I’m a poor grad student and can’t afford fancy group classes… and I don’t think we have any in my area anyway! You’re the best :)

Kelly@foodiefresh August 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

One thing I hate about strength training is having to count. Yes, I’m that lazy. This workout takes the counting out, which I love. :)

Morgan @ Some Kind of Sunshine August 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I agree. this makes working out a no-brainer!@Kelly@foodiefresh:

Becky @ cityrunnergirl August 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

thank you for reminding me to get cracking with the weights tonight!

Donna @ Life of a happy Blonde August 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I need to start doing more free weights, this is a great reminder
    I love using heavy weights on my own, makes me feel strong :)

Ashley@MyFoodFitnessFun August 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I always loved Body Pump classes at my old gym. Unfortunately I don’t have a membership anymore, so now I can use this at home! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to trying it out!

Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh Body Pump! How I miss that class! I used to do it all the time back on the east coast. They offered it at the GoodLife Gym in Toronto when I was back in college. My gym in Seattle offers lots of cardio and boot camp classes, but nothing compares to a full hour of pure weight lifting.

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’m trying to utilize my building’s gym a little more, so I may have to give this one a try!

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’ve never tried body pump, but this sounds great! It also sounds like I would definitely be feeling the burn…which is always a good thing.

Hilary August 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thanks…this looks great!

Lauren August 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Love this! I’m going to try it at the gym later. Thanks, Tina! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Yusyus. Doin dat.

Emily@SavoryandSavage August 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Very efficient workout. I am going to have to remember this one when I travel to Boston in October when I will have to make use of the hotel’s gym.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Work it, girl! Looks like a good one!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This is a great combination of lifts!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 9, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Gotta love strength training!

And BodyPUMP rocks :)

Christine @ Burning It Off August 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Thanks for posting. One of the things I love about Body Pump is that it teaches all of the basic exercises for each muscle group… it’s a great way to get people (women especially) comfortable with strength training.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

These posts are great! thanks :)

Chemgal August 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Do you just do each exercise once for the 3 minutes or do you go back through the list several times?
    Thanks

Tina August 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm

@Chemgal: Yep, you do each exercise continuously for three minutes and then move immediately to the next exercise.

Chemgal August 9, 2011 at 9:16 pm

@Tina:
    OH, what I meant was, do you go through the whole list one time only or do you go through the list, then go back through it again? Does that make sense?
    Thanks!

Brittany August 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Thanks, Tina! Pretty sure this just became my official workout for strength training days when I have no game plan ahead of time. Can’t wait to give it a go!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

At first I thought this looked easy… and then I saw that you said continuous reps for 3 minutes. That definitely changes things haha. This looks like an awesome workout!

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} August 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Great total body workout! I like to do at least one day of full body workout, I’ll give this one a try. I also do legs 2x’s a week, a heavy day and light day….today was a heavy day! Try doing walking lunges, 10 reps each leg for a total of 20 rep with dumbells pyramiding the weights! Today my friend and I used 35, 40, 45, and 50# db’s. Talk about a killer leg workout!!!

Allie @ Fitness Class Fanatic August 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for sharing these! Just bought the NYC Fitness Pass, which has a trial week at a gym a few blocks from me with BodyPump! Who knew.

Alyssa (The Other One) August 10, 2011 at 12:20 am

This is great! I just finished it, and can feel it already :)!

Khushboo August 10, 2011 at 1:51 am

Awesome workout in less than 25 minutes- thanks!…dreading the lunges!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 10, 2011 at 4:25 am

I love that you don’t need to count reps!

Thanks for sharing Tina :)

alex August 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm

love this! I need something new. would love a BodyPump class, but not one around me..can’t wait to try this! thanks

Rachel August 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Really enjoying CNW! I wonder if you might consider adding videos of each exercise within your post so everything was provided in one place. I don’t know about others, but I find a little demotivating to have to click over to youtube or other websites to find demos. Also, it’s hard to know if what you find on youtube is reliable in terms of correct form. Just a thought! :)

Kristen August 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm

This workout was awesome, I felt great after this and a 4-mile run. Thanks for sharing!!!!!