• Brush With Celebrity

August 27, 2011

When I arrived in the North End to meet Giada, things were pretty quiet. The vendors were set up for St. Anthony’s Feast, but hardly anyone was around.

Maybe the impending hurricane scared people off?

2011-08-27_1441

The crowds weren’t the only ones scared off by the hurricane– Giada was too.

On her way to the North End, Giada heard that the bridges in New York City were closing this afternoon because of Hurricane Irene, so she canceled her appearance and headed straight home.

Wah.

I’m bummed that I didn’t meet Giada today, but the folks from Bella Sera said they’d arrange a phone call so I can still ask her my questions. Of course, a phone call isn’t meeting Giada in person, but I’ll take it. I mean, a hurricane is a hurricane. I don’t blame Giada at all for wanting to be home with her family. I would have done the exact same thing. Plus, chatting with Giada on the phone is still a really neat opportunity!

My trip to the North End wasn’t a total waste though because I hit up Haymarket on my way home. Haymarket is a huge fruit and vegetable market in downtown Boston.

The prices at Haymarket are insanely cheap. When I lived closer to the city, my roommate and I would go almost every Saturday morning. We’d each chip-in $5 and buy a ton of produce to share for the week. It was awesome.

Having all of that fresh produce in the house definitely encouraged me to eat better.

2011-08-27_1452

Check out what I got for just $10:

• 2 pounds of sweet potatoes – $2.00
    • 1 pint of blueberries – $1.50
    • 8 plums – $1.00
    • 1 pound of cherries – $1.00
    • 1 head of iceberg lettuce – $0.50
    • 2 blocks of cheese – $4

Pretty sweet, right? I just wish Haymarket was closer so I could go every week. What a deal!

It just started raining here. Here comes Irene!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

awwww bummer. but at least you still get to chat it up! Stay safe!

Cheryl Mosley August 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Those prices on produce are amazing!! I need to check out our local Farmer’s Market!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins August 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love hitting up the Haymarket farmer’s market – the Copley Sq one is good too! Bummer about Giada – I hope the accent and Giada-isms are just as detectable over the phone :)

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

It’s too bad about Giada but at least you got a food bonus. Wow! That’s a lot of great stuff for only $10. Cherries for a $1? So jealous!

Katie @ Plates and Paste August 28, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Wow, that is a crazy good deal! Wish we had a market like that near us. And boo on no Giada but yes better for all to be safe than sorry!

Daisy August 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

i know YOU didn’t say so in your post but some commenters did (and I completely understand the confusion) but Haymarket is not a farmers market! it’s left over wholesale / grocery store products as well as international goods. i feel as though there’s a big difference. I shop here too since I live in the North End, just wanted to note that :)

Abbie @ AbbieBabble August 29, 2011 at 11:06 am

I LOVE Haymarket! When I was little, we used to get up early on Saturday mornings and go to Haymarket as a family. My sister and I were allowed to have pizza for breakfast and it was so much fun.

kristen September 4, 2011 at 7:29 pm

what a steal! It would be a really cool blog to compare what you spend at a farmers market to store prices.