• Back-to-School Dinner

August 26, 2011

Good morning! TGIF! :mrgreen:

Sorry about being a haircut tease yesterday. Here’s the new do!

It’s not all that different, but it looks a zillion times better. My hair pretty much looked and felt like straw at the ends, but now it’s shiny and healthy. I’m lovin’ my new look!

Dinner

Last night, Mal and I met Erin and Mike for a back-to-school dinner. Mal and Erin are both teachers, so we wanted to fit in a weeknight dinner before the two of them go back to school. It’s so much harder to get together during the week once school is in session.

Mal and I arrived early at Daedalus to snag a table outside on the roof deck. Usually, it’s crazy busy, so we wanted to make sure we got a table for dinner.

2011-08-26_0745

Well, when we arrived, the roof deck was completely empty– but for a good reason: it was about to rain. Wah.

Mal and I reluctantly moved inside and entertained ourselves while we waited for Mike and Erin.

2011-08-26_0748

While cleaning the house the other day, I randomly found a bag holder, so I brought it with me to test out. (I got it from a wine dinner more than a year ago, but have never used it.) It worked pretty well. I mean, it kept the bottom of my bag clean and it looked pretty cool.

2011-08-26_0747

When our friends arrived, I dove into a couple of appetizers: pita + hummus.

And roasted red pepper + spinach soup.

Lots of dipping occurred.

For my entrée, I ordered the bruschetta, which came with a side salad with creamy balsamic dressing.

For dessert, we headed to Sweet for cupcakes. I shared the Caramel Macchiato cupcake with Mal. I liked it, but it was insanely sweet— even for me. Of course, none of it went to waste, but I wouldn’t order this flavor again.

2011-08-26_0753

We walked around Harvard Square for a little while longer before saying goodbye to our friends. I can’t believe summer is just about over. Wah.

Workout

When Mal and I got home, he put on some awesome movie with the Rock in it. I really wanted to watch it with him, but I felt restless and went for a 3-mile run at the gym instead. Gym > movies with the Rock in it.

30-Minute Treadmill Run

2011-08-26_0816

Sophie @ threetimesf August 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Love the new hair! It’s so nice when it feels ‘alive’ again! :)

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm

The color is really flattering!
    Getting my hair colored next week and I’m super nervous because it’s my first time having it professionally done. Hope it looks as good as yours!

Holly August 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Your hair looks great! I love it :)
    & MAJOR props to you for going to the gym AFTER dinner & wine…I don’t think I could do it. The minute I have a drink I am done thinking about the gym!

AJ August 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Their tomato basil bisque is THE best I’ve ever had!!

KatieG. @ Just Roll With It August 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

the soup looks so yummy! happy back to school, Mal!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm

The hair looks great!! My boyfriend lives between Harvard and Central, I’ve seen Sweet but never been in. I really want to try Izzy’s Curlycakes, they have vegan cupcakes on Sundays!

Amy @Healthhungry August 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

The color is gorgeous! Looks like a little layers around the face too… frames your smile! :)

Ali @ Ali Runs August 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Ohh I love your new hair cut!! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 26, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Your hair looks so sleek and shiny!

Darn, I hate it when plans to dine outdoors are ruined by the rain. But at least your meal looks delicious. I would have been all over that bruschetta!

Carissa @ Choice Sustenance August 27, 2011 at 9:20 am

Love the new haircut! And your shirt is super cute!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

Looks like a great evening of eats!

Allison August 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm

That bruschetta looks so good! The chunkier, the better :)

Athena @ Fitness and Feta August 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Love, love, LOVE Daedalus! It’s one of my favorite outdoor eating spots in the Boston area.

BaileyA August 29, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve recently started following your blog on a friend’s recommendation and I love it! Excellent work.

Out of curiosity, do you put an incline on the treadmill when you do your workouts?

Bailey.

Tina August 29, 2011 at 11:55 am

@BaileyA: It depends on the workout, but when I run, the incline is usually on 1.0 or 1.5. Walking workouts vary a lot more– anywhere from 2.0 – 10.0.