• 2011 Healthy Living Summit

August 19, 2011

I can’t believe the 3rd Annual Healthy Living Summit is here! Never in a million years did I think an email chain between six blog buddies would turn into a yearly conference. We just wanted to meet each other in real life!

This year’s HLS could not have happened without Meghann’s hard work. She planned the entire conference by herself— from sponsorships and hotel logistics to swag bags and t-shirts and everything else in between. Amazing, right? Thank you, Meghann!!!

Just for fun, here’s a look back on the past Healthy Living Summits! I cannot wait for HLS 2011 in Philly this weekend!

2010 HLS: Chicago

It’s All Over

run.jpg

Just like that, the 2010 Healthy Living Summit comes to an end. I’m a bit sad, but meeting so many bloggers and readers in person was absolutely amazing– I still can’t get over how many wonderful people I met this weekend. I definitely have a lot more blogs to add to my Google Reader!

Food Tour

_MG_6072.JPG

Well, there’s no shortage of delicious food in Chicago! I am stuffed!! Once the Healthy Living Summit ended for the day, I attended the Tastebud Food Tour, hosted by Arnold and Oroweat, with a group of about 15 other bloggers.

Healthy Eating Summit

IMG_0007.JPG

Oh my goodness, I’ve eaten so much delicious food today!! Basically, I ate allllll day long. I’m not complaining, but holy moly! The good eats just don’t stop coming! But, doesn’t healthy living = good eating!? Kath did a great job planning the menu for the HLS lunch.

Good Morning, Good Breakfast

IMG_0042.JPG

The 2010 Healthy Living Summit is off to a great start! The HLS committee woke up bright and early to coordinate the last-minute details for the day. At 8:00 AM on the dot, HLS registration started. Once attendees checked-in, they enjoyed a healthy breakfast sponsored by Quaker, Stonyfield, and Thomas.

HLS Cocktail Party

IMG_0004.JPG

OpenSky threw a rockin’ party tonight! The HLS cocktail party was held at the Lasalle Power Company, a funky tri-level venue in the River North area of Chicago. It was a really cool space! While Kath and I welcomed HLS-ers at the front table, we shared a dirty vodka martini.

Lunch (On The Go)

_MG_6013.JPG

I’m on the go, so just a quickie recap of lunch! After yoga, I quickly showered and met up with a group of blog friends for lunch in the city. We wandered around the streets of Chicago for quite awhile before deciding on The Berghoff Restaurant.

Hot Stuff

IMG_6008.JPG

I took my first ever hot yoga class this morning and I loved it! This morning, Meghann, Kath, Emily, and I took a Hot Power Fusion class a CorePower Yoga. The class was taught in a room heated to 98-100 degrees and featured a combination of holds and flows with hip opening, upper body, and core strengthening.

Granny Panties

_MG_5930.JPG

It’s my first night in Chicago and I’m wearing my granny panties. I had a great time meeting and hanging out with blog friends, but this old lady definitely needs her sleep. The Healthy Living Summit starts tomorrow, so I want to be well-rested and energized.

Here We Go

IMG_0003.JPG

Greetings from Chicago!!! As soon as I arrived at the hotel, I was put to work stuffing swag bags. We have 225 attendees and a TON of swag, which means lots to do before early registration tomorrow afternoon. Surprisingly, stuffing swag bags is a lot of work.

2009 HLS: Boston

HLS Final Hurrah

IMG_5456.JPG

The final day of the Healthy Living Summit started with some exercise. We met in the lobby for an early morning run by the Charles River. A number of the ladies were sporting their new shoe wallets from their swag bags. Cool! We split into two running groups: 3 miles and 6 miles.

Crowded Streets

IMG_5413.JPG

After the “official” conclusion of the Healthy Living Summit, we enjoyed a two-hour hiatus to rest (and blog) before reconvening for a walk to the North End for the Fisherman’s Feast. A group of about 40 women gathered outside of the hotel– we were quite the scene!

HLS: Afternoon Session

IMG_5385.JPG

I can’t believe the Summit is over just like that! What a whirlwind! After lunch, Regina Beidler, an organic dairy farmer, spoke to the group. Her talk was truly outstanding– it was easily my favorite of the day! Now, I want to move to Vermont and become a dairy farmer!

HLS: Morning Session

IMG_5351.JPG

I can’t believe the first half of the Healthy Living Summit is over! It totally flew by! The day started with registration promptly at 8:00 AM. While everyone registered, bloggers and readers enjoyed an amazing breakfast!!! The food stars of the day were Stonyfield Oikos and MixMyGranola– a delicious combo and one of my favorites!

Cocktail Party at Rustic Kitchen

IMG_5306.JPG

Ahhhh! The Healthy Living Summit has officially begun! :mrgreen: We’ve had a great started already! We kicked off the HLS with a cocktail party at the Rustic Kitchen in downtown Boston. Our dresses sort of coordinate, huh? The menu for the evening was both healthy and delicious! Love that!

We’ve Been Busy

IMG_5236.JPG

The HLS Committee has been having such a blast in Boston– but it hasnt’ been all fun and games! We had plenty of work to do to prepare for the big event tomorrow! Our biggest task was organizing the “swag” for the swag bags!

Exercise and Eat

IMG_5220.JPG

After drinking so much wine with dinner last night, I was more than happy to wake up early and sweat it out! Around 7:30 this morning, Kath, Heather, Jenna, and I headed to Healthworks for a workout. Caitlin, Meghann, and Kelly went for a run by the Charles River, so they met us at Healthworks.

Petit Robert Bistro

IMG_5167.JPG

All 6 bloggers arrived safely in Boston! I still can’t believe we’re all together in one city! It’s crazy, but I love it! On our way to the Rustic Kitchen, Caitlin, Meghann, and Meghann’s sister arrived at the hotel via taxi.

Starting the Summit With A Self-Portrait

IMG_5119.JPG

The HLS bloggers have started to arrive in Beantown! Kath and Jenna arrived this morning, and Caitlin, Meghann, and Heather are scheduled to arrive later this evening. I’m so excited! Kath, Jenna, and I kicked off our Summit weekend with a self-portrait while walking down Newbury Street.

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 19, 2011 at 11:50 am

You girls really put together an awesome annual event! I would SO love to go – maybe next year! ;)

Hillary August 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

It really is an incredible thing that you guys pulled together! Have fun!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 19, 2011 at 11:58 am

Wish I could be there!

Alaina August 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I hope to make it next year!! Looks like a blast!! :-)

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Awesome recap! It’s pretty darn incredible how far it has come! Looking forward to reading all about this years HLS…. hopefully I can make it next year! :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I really wish I was going to be there!

Looking forward to reading your posts :)

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Oh my gosh this looks like so much fun! Have a blast, I can’t wait to read all about it!!!!!!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

It’s really cool to see the past two years of HLS. I’m excited to join y’all tonight.

Halley(Blunder Construction) August 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I think I can speak for the 200 bloggers who are showing up in Philly this weekend when I say we are so happy you guys started that email chain! So excited for the weekend!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I wish I was going! Looks like it’ll be a blast!

Maria August 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What an awesome success story! I hope to be there at the next one! I wish I would’ve been around when you guys did the one in Chicago last year, but I was just getting started with the whole blog scene. Have fun this weekend.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop August 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Sooo disappointed I never knew these things existed! And this year’s is right down the road from me! Ack. I will have to be more in tune into these blogger meeting things. Who knew there was a whole world of bloggers out there? Have a great time at the Summit!!!
    ~Ang

Tina August 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

@Angela @ The Chicken Scoop: HLS 2012 or bust! :)

Meg August 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Your success story with this conference really is inspiring! It is amazing what passion for something and some hard work can achieve. I am really looking forward to attending one of these conferences in the future :)

Sarah@The Flying ONION August 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Ahhh!! Sounds like fun! One of these years, I would love to go. :D

Shayla @ The Good Life August 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

The birth and success of this event is so inspiring and I wish I was there!! Hopefully next year…I would love to meet all you lovely ladies in person! Can’t wait to read more about your fabulous weekend! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wow, I never knew the HLS started with only 6 people. Really shows how things can grow! I’m still sad that I was on vacation when you all had it in Chicago last year. Would have been a great way to meet all of you.

The Healthy Engineer August 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh my god sounds like a perfect few days!!

I have college starting in three days so no summits for me I guess:(

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

WOW! I had no idea that is how it all came together! Have so much fun :) Can’t wait to hear/see re-caps!

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thats incredible that you guys have made this into a yearly thing! Have fun! It sounds like a ton of fun :D

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well August 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m jealous that I can’t go this year! I’m hoping next year I’ll be able to make it :)

Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm

It looks like such a memorable event! I’d love to go sometime in the future.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Wow! Really coop recap. Thanks!

Jen@foodfamilyfitness August 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm

So jealous and wish I was there!! Can’t wait to read all of the posts about HLS 2011.

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect August 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’m so sad that I missed out on snagging a ticket this year. Hope you have a ton of fun!! :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

So jealous! I can’t wait to go next year :)

Janet August 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Thank you for recognizing Meaghann and her hard work!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm

What a great recap on all the past amazing events and meetups you’ve had.

HAVE FUN this year!!!!!! :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat August 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I keep saying I’m going to go but I’ve just never been able to afford the travel, hopefully one of these years! :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Serious props to Meghann!

P.S. I didn’t know that HLS started like that. That would be an awesome “behind the scenes” post :)

Roz@weightingfor50 August 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Look forward to reading about the HLS! Have a great time Tina!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Amazing event and pictures :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I hope the HLS comes back to Chicago! Haha it would certainly make it a less expensive trip for me if I can go next year! Hope you all have a great time!

Sophie @ threetimesf August 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I hope I can attend a HLS one day – it looks like such good fun! Enjoy your weekend :D

Hilary August 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Yay…can’t wait to meet you SOON!

Tina August 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm

@Hilary: YAY! So nice to meet you at HLS! :)

Ali @ Ali Runs August 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm

One year I will make it to the HLS! Hope you have a blast this year, I can’t wait to read your posts!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 19, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Have fun this weekend! I can’t wait to read all about it. I bet it’ll be a blast! :D

Khushboo August 20, 2011 at 1:45 am

I remember reading all these recaps and loving it (with a side of envy of course)! Hope this year is even better!

Allison August 20, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thanks for sharing your recaps and have a great time at HLS this year! I’d love to attend in the future, sounds like a blast :D

Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen August 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hi Tina! My name is Jessie and I’ve been reading your blog from time to time for a while now but I recently moved to Boston and my coworkers LOVE your blog and have reconnected me to it. Anyway, you said a few posts ago you were thinking about organizing a blogger meet up in Boston and I wanted to say count me in!! Hope you’re having fun at HLS :)

-Jessie

Tina August 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm

@Jessie — The Messie Kitchen: Thanks, Jessie! We’d love to have you at next year’s HLS! :)

@stampylisa August 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

sad I wasn’t there this year. You ladies put on an awesome event.