• 14 Before 8

August 20, 2011

Yay! I love running at 5 o’clock in the morning!

IMG_0113-800x600

Umm, not. But, I LOVE how I feel once I’m done! You never regret a workout!

This morning, I woke up bright and early to run with my blog buddies before a full day of HLS sessions.

Before I left my hotel room, I snacked on a Clif bar. I always need to have a little something in my stomach before exercising. Otherwise, I feel weak and blah.

The group met promptly at 5:00 AM in the hotel lobby. I was shocked to see about 20 people waiting there! Runners are crazy people, huh?!

After a quick explanation of the running route (down Market Street, along the water, and back), we headed out into the night early morning.

Philly is a really pretty city— even in the dark!

Monica, Bonnie, and I ended up covering almost 14 miles this morning. I didn’t plan to run even close to that distance, but running with friends made the miles fly by. For real. We chatted the entire time.

IMG_0136-800x600

After our run, I grabbed a quick iced latte at Starbucks, stretched, and showered– all before 8:00 AM. Nuts, right? I was really hungry for breakfast (fourteen miles will do that to ya), so I got myself together as fast as possible.

On the menu: fresh fruit.

Various cereals from Attune.

IMG_0024 (500x375)IMG_0025 (375x500)

Stonyfield yogurt and hardboiled eggs.

I only attended part of the morning sessions because I was scheduled to sell and sign copies of my book!

I was a little worried that no one would buy it, but quite a few people did. At one point, there was a huge line of people waiting! So cool!

Monica didn’t have her copy of my book for me to sign, so I offered to sign her boob. She was all about it!

IMG_7883-800x533 (500x333)

Lunch couldn’t have come any sooner— I was famished!

Lunch included a fantastic spread of sandwiches made on bread donated from Great Harvest.

My plate: veggie sandwiches with quinoa + chickpea salad.

I still felt hungry after lunch, so I downed two boxes of granola. Perfect.

I’m not sure what’s on the agenda for tonight, but I have a feeling it’s going to be FUN!

Hannah August 20, 2011 at 7:18 pm

The food this year looks great! And Philly is beautiful at night-I hope it was safe to run at that hour, then again, there was like an army of you guys running…… :D

Alaina August 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

That’s one of my favorite granolas! I’ve gotten a few in my swag bags for races. Delish. :-)

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

@Alaina: It is! It’s like dessert

Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink August 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm

The chickpea salad looks really good! What about a recipe?

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm

@Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink: I’m not sure. The hotel made it. Sorry!

Hannah August 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Of course people bought it, you fabulous lady! :D

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm
    Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner August 20, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I can’t imagine what a fun atmosphere it must have been at 5 am with a big group of runners in a new city. How exciting–and great job on 14 miles before 8am!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Wow! that is quite the early morning run! Sounds like a blast :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 20, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Go you! I would have eaten my face off if I didn’t have nough food after running 14 miles!

Kath August 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Haha – you took that Clif Bar photo right when I was there asleep! Hilarous!

Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Way to cover that 14 mile run! Thank goodness you had an amazing looking breakfast buffet to come back to! :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That’s so awesome that y’all ran 14 this morning. Great job.

Molly @ RDexposed August 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I appreciate your honesty of not lying and saying you’re all about running at 5am. I have a hard time believing people when they say they do.

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

@Molly @ RDexposed: I would have rather slept, but I’m glad that I hot up to do it!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 20, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Whoa! Covering 14 miles before 8AM must have felt so weird but amazing at the same time! You are super inspiring Tina. I am training for a half and you guys just did what I am so excited to eventually have the ability to do :-D You totally rock!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

@Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites: I just remembered I wanted to ask you a question regarding talking while running. I have a very difficult time chatting while running (even though I want to!) especially on long runs. I have heard mixed beliefs about this… a friend of mine told me that if you’re running ‘correctly’ that you shouldn’t be able to talk…. huh? I know it doesn’t work for me but other runners I know love to chat on runs.

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

@Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites: I guess it depends how fast you are running. We set out to do a long run, so our pace was slower than usual, which made chatting a lot easier. But, if I’m doing speedwork or a temp run, I usually can’t talk because I’m running faster.

Meg August 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Nothing better then getting in a sick workout before most people are awake! You are inspiring me to get my butt up earlier for some long runs before work this week :)

jassy August 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm

5 am jog is bearable and fun if you run with friends :)

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I am impressed.. 14 miles at 5 am! Way to go! Lunch look so good!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm

14 miles?!? Haha my ultimate goal is a half marathon! That makes me feel like a whimp! Hopefully I’ll be there someday! Can we also please note that in the picture with the cereal the front one is almost gone? Haha clearly the blogger favorite!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm

14 miles flying by?? I don’t know about that! Hope I’m at HLS next year, it looks amazing!

Corrie Anne August 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Woah! 14! Awesome! Runny buddies are the best kind! I love following the HLS! I’d love to go someday! It looks so fun!

Brittany August 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Again…you freak me out…lol! 14 miles?! Nuts!

Just a side note…I went out to dinner tonight and took pictures of our food….I felt like you ;)

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm

@Brittany: Haha! Nice! :)

Mac August 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Runners are crazy…but I love it! There’s nothing better than accomplishing great things before most of the world is awake!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

The food at HLS this year looks great :) Those sandwiches sounds delish, and you really can’t go wrong with granola.

That run sounds insane but fun!

Khushboo August 20, 2011 at 11:54 pm

14 miles before 8…wow you crazy, crazy lady (who also leaves me in awe!). I just lent my copy of your book to a friend and she LOVED it :)!

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

@Khushboo: Yay!! That’s awesome! :)

Anita August 21, 2011 at 2:58 am

Oh my goodness! 14 miles?!? I only hope I can cover that kind of mileage some day!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 21, 2011 at 6:20 am

Lots of good eats at HLS!

What an early start to your day :)

Christine @ Burning It Off August 21, 2011 at 6:44 am

I only recently discovered the joy of having a running buddy… it definitely makes the time go by faster!

Amanda @ Tales of an Amateur Mommy August 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

I always LOVE your running pics! So inspiring :) BTW, ran my first race Friday! Five miler in 54:00 :) Have a great Sunday!

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

@Amanda @ Tales of an Amateur Mommy: Congrats!!! Great time! :)

Sarah @ eatrungarden August 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love that kind of granola and I love running with friends it always makes it so much easier to get up and actually do an early morning run. Looks like you are having lots of fun!

melissa August 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

Great seeing you! The run was killer, but definitely worth it!

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

@melissa: It was nice to see you too! The end of that run nearly killed me! I was so happy tone finished!

Stephanie August 21, 2011 at 8:52 am

So fun meeting you this weekend. you r too sweet. Hope we can find a time to run together sometime soon and plan a NYC marathon meet :)

Btw are you going to do healthy living Boston in january

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

@Stephanie: Nice to meet you too! :) I haven’t heard about Healthy Living Boston yet, but I will defcheck it out! Thanks for the heads up about it.

Stephanie August 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm

@Tina: let me know what you think!! I am sure they are actually still looking for speakers too. hope you had a safe trip home ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) August 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

5 AM might be a bit too early for me, more power to you! Just wow on 14 miles! Great food and that’s awesome about your book signing, boob signing and all. :-)

Rebecca August 21, 2011 at 10:29 am

Great job on the early morning run!

Where is your blue running top from? The fit is cute and I am always looking for running gear with reflective strips since I often run before the sun is up.

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

@Rebecca: New Balance!

deep south runner August 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Sounds like a great time! I think the only way I’d be able to get up that early to run that far is if I was in a city like Philadelphia and doing it with 20 other girls! Sounds very fun.

Jamie@everydaydolce August 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

So awesome that you were able to run 14 miles, so motivating! The summit looks like an absolute blast, wish I was there!

Gillian August 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

i am so impressed by you guys… i cannot wake up that early to work out! i used to do 3x/week crossfit workouts at 6 am and then have to go back to sleep afterwards!

great job! wish i was at HLS!

new goal for 2012: attend HLS!

Tina August 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

@Gillian: Wahoo! I’m already excited for HLS 2012! :)

Allison August 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Your action photo of signing autographs is too funny! P.S. I tried to attend your signing in Boston at the Brookline Booksellers but I had an exam the same night- major bummer :(

P.P.S. Thanks for your recaps of HLS- I’d love to next year, looks like a blast!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm

What awesome food! Looks great. Congrats on the 14-er :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Wow, awesome job on the 14 miles! It must feel great to have accomplished so much before you even sit down to breakfast. :D

Also the food at HLS looks so good!

Jamie August 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi Tina!

Quick question for you– you say that you always eat something before exercising or else you feel blah, and I feel the same way. Just curious but do you eat the entire cliff bar or just part of it? I sometimes have trouble figuring out how much to eat prior to a workout.

Thanks!
    Jamie

Tina August 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

@Jamie: I ate the whole thing! ;) For me, any workout over any hour requires a snack of some sort.

Pam August 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm

You have amazing dedication to run 14 miles before the conference. It’s great you know so many other motivated ladies as well, you must inspire each other! HLS looks like so much fun! Wish I was there to get a signed copy of your book!

amy August 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

I just ordered your book the other day and should receive it this week. Can’t wait! I think my favorite part will be cookie Friday’s =P

Tina August 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

@amy: Yay! I hope you enjoy it! Cookie Friday is my favorite part! :)

Traci August 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Running with friends does make it go so much faster. Not that I’m running far, only on week 2 of C25K but it’s much easier with a friend than without.