• Whose Responsibility Is It?

July 21, 2011

I still can’t believe how many delicious recipe ideas I got from the Chobani Kitchen event the other day. Who knew yogurt was so versatile?! Ok, maybe I knew it was, but it’s just easier when someone gives me new recipes to try!

One recipe that immediately caught my attention was for Mac ‘n’ Cheese. It looked tasty, sounded easy enough to make, and we had (almost) all of the ingredients at home. Sadly, we didn’t have any Gruyere cheese on hand, so I just added extra cheddar, which worked fine.

Last Night’s Dinner

Mmm… cheese, I love you.

This recipe came out super duper cheesy. When it comes to Mac ‘n’ cheese: the cheesier the better!

After dinner, Mal and I enjoyed a post-dinner drink outside in our Adirondack chairs. It was a nice way to end the day.

Workout

I hadn’t been to Body Pump since last week, so I set my alarm bright and early for the 5:30 class at my gym this morning. Even though I have a flexible schedule, I’m really starting to enjoy early morning workouts. I love getting it out of the way first thing in the morning and it sets a healthy, motivated tone for the rest of the day.

This morning’s class was pretty good. The instructor used music from a bunch of different releases, which I always enjoy. Doing the current release over and over again gets boring after awhile, so I like when instructors mix it up. It keeps the workout interesting!

During class, I noticed a woman in front of me, who was doing the exercises all wrong— like really wrong. Her form was scary-terrible. On the squat track, she was hunched over with her knees WAY over her toes. It actually looked pretty uncomfortable. The woman was a complete mess on the back track, swinging and flailing the bar around, which made me really start to worry that she’d injure herself.

It was pretty clear that this woman was new to Body Pump (and strength training, in general), but the instructor never said a word to her. The woman was standing practically right in front of the instructor, so there was no way she didn’t notice. The instructor reminded the class a few times about proper form, but the woman wasn’t really getting it. Maybe the instructor didn’t want to single her out, but don’t you think the instructor should have said something to her?

Breakfast

When I returned home, I immediately cooked breakfast. Apparently, lifting weights revs up my hunger because I was STARVING! I poured myself an iced coffee with soy milk and then made some buffalo homefries (potato + buffalo sauce + paprika) and scrambled eggs with nutritional yeast mixed in.

Three Questions Thursday

Here’s the next addition of Three Questions Thursday!

I wanted to ask if you had any tips for organizing and storing photos for a blog. Do you keep them all in one place? And how do you handle traveling especially when you aren’t working on your normal computer?

To be honest, I don’t have the best system for organizing my photos, but it works for me, and I’m happy to share what I do.

On regular day, I delete 95% of my photos from my computer. Most of them are boring food or around-the-house-type photos, so I don’t hang onto them. Occasionally, however, I save pictures of Mal or Murphy or photos that I can use again in the future. I save these photos into folders: Boston, Family, Fitness, Food, House, Travel, etc. I also save my favorite photos from trips, vacations, and special events, and label them as such (i.e. Las Vegas, Pug 5K, Beth and Caleb’s Wedding, etc.)

As for traveling, I use the same system on my laptop. If there are photos on my laptop that I want on my desktop, I just save them onto flash drive and move them over.

When you eat out, do you tell the staff you are a blogger?

No, I never do. Occasionally, I’m invited to review restaurants, so, in that case, they know I’m coming.

I know you’ve shared what kind of sports bra you like, but what is your favorite brand of regular bras? Like you, I am smaller but with a bigger bust, so finding perfect fitting bras is tough!

My favorite bra is the Prima Donna Satin Bra Plunge. I buy mine at Intimacy of Boston, but it’s sold online too.

If there is someone who could potentially hurt themselves during exercise, whose responsibility is it to help them? Is it someone’s responsibility? Should I have said something? What would you do?

P.S. I’m offering a deal on chia seeds today!

Amara July 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh! Totally the instructor should have said something. I hope she has insurance because she’s liable if there’s an injury. I’ve taught for a while and it’s the worst feeling when there’s an injury. To be fair though, if she’s a little inexperienced it can be really tricky to keep the class going if you’re trying to help someone too. It takes a while to get that smooth.

chandra July 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm

It is the instructors responsiblity to correct them. However, when I went through my bodypump instructor training we were told MANY times, you do not leave the front of the room unless someone is on the ground (aka injured/sick/emergency situation). Part of our training, and continued training through the quarterlies, is to learn to help correct form via verbal cues, eye contact, demonstration, etc… That is why you will hear instructors say things multiple times like, “brace your core, make sure your back is flat, keep the bar close.” etc… this is also why instructors are supposed to demo certain moves before the track. Many people in class don’t pay attention to these demo and just think they’re doing it correctly. And then there is also approaching people after class just to give them tips, advice, show proper form, etc…

So basically, per BP training, the instructor wasn’t “allowed” to go over to the person and correct them, but she should have made an effort to make eye contact with the person and say cues/tips directly to them, especially if she was right in front of her.

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm

It’s not your responsibility, it is the instructor’s (maybe she could talk to the woman after class if she can’t help her during class). But I know I would have an inner battle of whether I should say something, too. Maybe mention it to the instructor after class next time. It might feel like your kind of stepping on people’s toes, but if no one does anything, that woman will probably end up hurting herself. But really, she should be paying more attention to the instructor’s directions, because ultimately it is her own responsibility to have some basic knowledge before she does something more intense and fast paced like Body Pump. Tough call!

Jen July 22, 2011 at 7:49 am

As an instructor of 15 years I feel that it is your responsibility to help the students out. I’ve been taught by many other well known/well established professionals, & have always been told that we need to instruct/demonstrate, then go help if needed. If I saw someone on BP doing all the wrong & dangerous moves, I would go over & move them appropriately :) that is my job as a great instructor.

Jen July 22, 2011 at 7:50 am

@Jen: ps some people don’t take verbal cues well.

Lauren July 22, 2011 at 8:27 am

Hi Tina,

I was wondering what nutritional yeast is? And does it make your eggs taste different?

Tina July 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

@Lauren: Here’s some info about nutritional yeast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

Stephanie July 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

Tina,

Is OpenSky shipping to Canada?

Thanks!

Tina July 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

@Stephanie: Yep!

Katie July 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

I saw something similar happening the other day when I was taking a weight class similar to body pump. I also debated saying something, but then felt like I might come off as a know it all or rude or something when I actually just felt bad that the instructor wasn’t saying anything so I totally know how you feel!

I go to different instructors on different days for the class and I notice that many do walk around to make sure people are doing moves correctly–so I do think it is ultimately up to the instructor to help. And she definitely should have if the woman was right in front!

Kayla @ learningtosayyes.com July 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

As a former fitness class instructor I FIRMLY believe you need to correct bad form or injurious activity in a group fitness class. For the participants (the person using bad form and anyone who might misguidedly follow that poor form) health and for your own liability. If after correction they choose to not follow the guidance then that is their decision and not much you can do. Though in one instance I did have to request that someone not be allowed to take the class as it was an Arthritis Foundation class and I didn’t want any issues to be raised in relation to my certification and the pool’s licensing for these specific classes.

Alaina July 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I think something should have been said. I understand not wanting to single anyone out but hopefully the instructor said something after the class. She definitely could hurt herself.

Tiffany @This Is...The After July 25, 2011 at 1:06 am

The instructor should of definitely helped her with form, but it probably had a lot to do with her not being great at handling interruptions.