• Too Hot to Workout

July 13, 2011

Heat?! What heat? Team Quincy is totally cool!

267966_10150317695991273_306122481272_9458611_4089563_n (500x299)

I’m so glad that I woke up early to run with Back on My Feet this morning. I missed my friends! It was also nice to see some new faces in the group!

I ran two miles with BOMF and then did two miles on my own at home. When I returned from my run, I made myself an iced coffee with soy milk and vanilla protein powder to drink while I walked Murphy. Iced coffee + pug walk = fabulous.

Breakfast

For breakfast, I whipped up some scrambled eggs with Garlic Gold and nutritional yeast, which is such an awesome flavor combination. So yum. I also ate a banana with breakfast.

Last Night’s Dinner

Our anniversary celebration continued into the evening with cocktails and relaxing outside in our new chairs.

I made myself a “special” Arnold Palmer to enjoy!

2011-07-12 003

For dinner, I cooked some Mushroom & Herb Risotto and added some chunks of chicken breast to it. It was simple, yet delicious. The TJ’s Mushroom & Herb Risotto was really good— I’d definitely buy it again!

After dinner, Mal and I decided that we wanted something sweet to eat, so we baked some Cutout Sugar Cookies from Mama Pea’s new cookbook, which I am absolutely loving. There are so many amazing recipes in it!

The cookies turned out great! The frosting was especially easy to make and so, so, so delicious, which, of course, is probably trouble for me!

Feel Great Weight

The dog days of summer are upon us, but you don’t have to put your workout routine on the back burner just because it feels too hot to exercise.

Instead of using the heat as another excuse to skip my workout, I get creative with my summertime activities so I can keep up with my fitness goals. Here are 12 ideas you can try: 12 Ways to Stay Active When It’s Too Hot to Workout!

2011-07-13_0823

What do you do when it’s too hot to workout? Do you find yourself skipping workouts more often in the summer than other times of year?

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking July 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm

i hate working out, there i said it! When it is hot, I tend to walk more to and from work this way it helps me sweat and burn more calories and then I justify skipping a workout. Other times I just go to the gym and just take a class, it’s fun to do the dance classes.

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad July 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Completely unrelated but I need to get a pair of those Old Navy shorts! I know you love them and they would be so perfect for me!

Tina July 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

@Kristy@RunTheLongRoad: You do! I am totally obsessed with them! They’re on sale right now too! :)

maria July 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

When it’s too hot to workout, I move my workouts inside. Easy peasy :-)

Wendy Irene July 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

That is such a cute tank top Tina! Where did you find it? It is the perfect amount of coverage for me :) Hope you have a great day!

Tina July 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

@Wendy Irene: New Balance!

katey July 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Growing up my friends mother used to sprinkle nutritional yeast on popcorn with a bit of butter…it was so good!

Shayla @ The Good Life July 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I love working out more in the summer since it’s lighter out in the mornings…heat’s not a big deal in northern cali either where I live and I’m usually in the gym most days taking a group exercise class anyway, so I’m rarely deterred by the weather :)

Cindy July 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hey Tina!

I’m a daily reader of your blog and just wanted to let you know that I’m having a piece of carrot cake (only my second time ever!) today at work and thought of you and your blog! Hope everything with your health issues is going well–sending positive vibes your way!

Cindy

Caroline @ French Ponytail July 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’m training for the NYC marathon this summer and am having some mega-problems with the heat. Running 10-20 miles on a treadmill seems like pretty much the worst idea ever, but running outside when it’s 90 degrees in the shade doesn’t seem much better… I just invested in a hydration pack from Nathans, and have started planning my long runs so that I can stop at a bodega at least once every couple miles for more water or a popsicle or something. I really, really can’t wait for some cool autumn runs.

Khushboo July 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I hate working out when it’s too hot but I just suck it up- the excess sweat is a reward :)

Christie July 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

In the summer, I just try to wake up earlier than usual to work out. It always just seems to be so much cooler to work out in the morning than at any other time of the day (even late evening)!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I swim outside! ANd workout (weights/other cardio) mostly inside….with walks (short!) outside.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Since I live in Florida, if the heat outside prevented me from working out, I wouldn’t have worked out since the end of February! I use it as an opportunity to try new classes and force myself to go to the gym straight from work so I don’t have any lounge time to change my mind.

Evan Thomas July 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I do a fitness dvd and yoga if it’s too hot outside. I’d love to get a bike trainer, too, but I know if I did I’d use it even on really nice days to workout in front of the TV.

Sophie @ threetimesf July 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I tend to walk more than run when it’s warm outside. Other than that I tend to rely on being more active….not good, I know! :/

Rachel July 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Tina, have you discovered Firefly Sweet Tea vodka? I bartend in DC and we make a drink that tastes exactly like an Arnold Palmer with 2 oz. of Firefly topped with about 4 oz. of lemonade – clearly super easy and a perfect Summer drink!

Hannah July 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Gosh, over here it’s too cold to work out! Stupid weather!

Ali July 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I’ve started to get up in the mornings before work. I never thought I would be the type of person who gets up at 5am to work out… but I love it! Running at 5am is sooo peaceful and cool. It’s a great way to start the day!

Stef @ Living the HI Life July 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Yoga is one form of exercise that I find tolerable to do at any time of day, and in any heat. It almost seems like the hotter it is the better my practice is. I feel that the heat warms my muscles up and allows me to go deeper into my poses.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I go to the gym when it’s too hot to workout! Sometimes if I’m feeling really motivated, I’ll get up early to run before it gets too hot out, but I don’t do that too often. :P

natalie July 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Oh my goodness it is blazing hot here in Dallas, TX. We have reached recorded number of 100 degree weather. We are currently under a heat advisory. We just go to the gym or wait to run at 8:00 PM. But, it is still 98 at 8:00. It it brutal, and no end in site until at least October!!

Tiffany July 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

Jillian Michael’s and I have sessions on days I don’t workout outdoors. :-) That and the just-okay Netflix exercise collection keeps holds me over.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 14, 2011 at 4:17 am

I live in Ireland so it’s rarely too hot to workout! I do keep an eye on my hydration though and I’m more likely to avoid working out in the middle of the day.

Darcy @ Ginger's Goodies July 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Add swiss cheese to the risotta and you’ve got something AMAZING to blog about!

Danielle July 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Arizona is too hot for me to go for runs outside for most of the year. (ie: April to October!) I sometimes go for bike rides in the evenings and early morning hikes on the weekends. Biggest adjustment for the hot weather we get here is getting up super early (like this morning!) to go for runs. And if all else fails, the gym always calls my name!
    I think the humidity got up to as high (yes, this is high for us here!) as 50-60% the other week and I was miserable just walking around outside in it! No idea how you go for runs in even higher humidity!
    PS: The picture of Murphy is adorable! He’s certainly a cutie! :)

Lourdes July 15, 2011 at 12:34 am

Nutritional Yeast is OK, but the secret “IS” the vegan parmesan.
    Everything tastes better with the grated Vegan Parmesan on it, I put it on everything.