• That Run Was Stupid Hot

July 22, 2011

Can we talk about this?!? :evil:

It was 93 degrees outside when I finished my 12-mile run this morning. I am not smart.

I woke up bright and early with every intention of starting my run by 5:30 AM to beat the heat, but I don’t know where the time went.

I ate breakfast: peanut butter + banana on whole wheat bread.

Filled my Fuel Belt with Gu Brew.

Snapped a photo for the blog.

By the time I ate breakfast, got dressed, mapped out a route, filled my Fuel Belt, and snapped an unnecessary photo in the bathroom, it was just about 6:00. Ok, so that’s where the time went.

The first three miles of my run were tortuous:

• Mile 1: 9:29
    • Mile 2: 9:39
    • Mile 3: 9:33

A combination of heat and hills made me think twice about attempting my long run on such a hot day. I even considered scrapping the run all together and doing it tomorrow, but I figured it wouldn’t be that much cooler, and I didn’t want to wake up early again, so I just kept trucking along.

Thankfully, Miles 4 – 8 went better. I got used to the heat and finally got into a groove.

• Mile 4: 9:17
    • Mile 5: 9:12
    • Mile 6: 8:57
    • Mile 7: 8:46
    • Mile 8: 9:11

Around Mile 6, I stopped to eat some watermelon-flavored Chomps.

Around Mile 9, it got really hot and the sun started to blaze down on me. I also ran out of water at this point. I was only three miles away from finishing, so I continued to push forward.

• Mile 9: 9:25
    • Mile 10: 9:35

Just before I reached Mile 11, I ran by the middle school, so I made a pit-stop with the hope of finding a water fountain inside. Luckily, the school was open, so I snuck inside and grabbed some water. After a little water break, I felt a million times better and finished the last two miles at a pretty good pace:

• Mile 11: 9:15
    • Mile 12: 9:09

Total: 1:51:35 (9:17 pace)

This morning’s long run definitely wasn’t my fastest, but I’m so glad that I stuck with it and finished. There were soooo many times that I wanted to quit, but I didn’t let myself.

After my run, I stretched and refueled with another Gu Brew. The Peach Tea flavor is delicious! It didn’t taste like a “performance” drink at all. Mmm! I pretty much chugged it.

I also refueled with a veggie bagel with cream cheese from Bagels Plus and a Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee. Will run for bagels.

Busy day ahead! We’re having a pig roast at our house tomorrow, so we have a lot to do to prepare for it!

Brittany July 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Bahh, hot weather really makes for steamy runs, doesn’t it? I had to do 20 the other day with a heat index of 115. Doesn’t sound too smart, but if it’s the only time you can do it and you know (and respect) your limits, I think it’s ok to run in any weather. You ran an awesome pace! I dropped from my usual 8:10 long run pace to 10:00/mile…oof.

Linda July 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Again a lack of common sense shown by runner. Le sigh

Brittany July 23, 2011 at 12:29 am

@Linda:

One of the largest problems facing the world today. Le sigh, indeed.

kyla July 23, 2011 at 11:14 am

@Brittany:
    Um is this really necessary?

Jessica July 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

SICK! It was that hot during your run so early in the morning? That is why I moved to the Pacific Northwest from the Midwest. I can’t stand that heat. Way to stick to your run! I’m impressed. :) I wouldn’t be able to handle it in that heat.

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run July 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Holy hotness – I think that’s what my run tomorrow is going to be like. I need to get myself up early!! Way to go for getting it done though!!

maria July 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Good job for finishing!! It’s been crazy hot in Chicago this week too so I’ve been doing all my workouts inside. Props for braving the heat :-)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Holy crud you are inspiring Tina! A friend asked me to go on a run with her today…. I couldn’t have said NO any faster haha I can’t standing running in the heat

Lyza July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

You are freakin’ gorgeous!!!

I would love to be able to run a mile in heat like that without feeling as if I would die! This is amazing!!!

Molly @ RDexposed July 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes me to get my behind out the door. I think I spend 20 minutes minimum perfecting my shoe tie job.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I’m in Maine right now and they hit a record of 100* for the first time ever. But coming from AL we’re a bit more used to the heat than everyone is here. We had 106* days in APRIL! Not saying we like it, though..it definitely makes runs suck..

chandra July 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Great job on the run! I have 16 mile scheduled for tomorrow and it’s supposed to be 85* and humid at 5:30 am. Boo. I need to find some of those gu brews!

Hannah July 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Wow! You’re superwoman!! Also:

HELP! Is there any reason your pics might not be showing up in my Google Reader lately? I have to go to your site directly to see them. I follow many other blogs and yours is the only one doing this in the past few days. Just thought you would want to know!

Diana July 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’ve been having the same issue :( @Hannah:

El July 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm

@Diana: Me too!

Nadine July 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Yikes! That IS hot, and you are brave!

Quick Open Sky Question: Is there a difference between the chia seeds? Do they taste different and do you use them for different things? Can’t wait to get them!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

That’s a crazy hot run. You’re a superstar!

amy July 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Wow- hot hot hot! Last year I was training for a half marathon and was soooo close…after an insanely hot 11 mile run in August my calf kinda hurt…next day my shoulder hurt after TRX class- pulled muscle- so I thought. After two weeks of emergency rooms/doctors/surgeons/urgent care and a misdiagnosis of gall stones- and finally a swollen/painful leg led to my ICU stay and diagnosis of pulmonary embolism and massive DVT from my abdomen to my foot. Cause: dehydration and compression of vein from running a long run in excessive heat. Remember safety first and hydrate as much as you can- training was soo important to me then but now I’m just thankful to be alive! Best of Luck with your training!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit July 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Isn’t the weather crazy? I give you so much credit for waking up so early to run. I am more of a mid morning exerciser :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I don’t know whether to think you’re amazing or crazy for running in that heat! Maybe a bit of both? ;)

Hilary July 22, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Uggh…I did a stupid hot run like that too yesterday! What WERE we thinking?!?!

Hannah July 23, 2011 at 12:50 am

Love the photos “for the blog” :D

de @ hazeleyedbetty July 23, 2011 at 8:01 am

dude! You should become a desert runner ;D I did a 3 mi run yesterday and I was all set with that! Thankfully that’s all my training plan called for, you go girl.

Mariel July 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

That’s why we moved to Arizona from
    the Midwest! It’s holy hot here but little to
    no humidity! Makes for a much easier time while running or hiking outside! :) good job though! Way to push through. 99%of the battle is mind over matter, right? :)

Amy July 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm

LOVE bagels plus! Have you had their energy bagels? Delicious…not to mention the sunflower seed ones…

Melanie July 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm

You are too funny going into the school. lol. I live in Florida and it is so brutally hot . Fall cannot come soon enough!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm

You are amazing! I give you so much credit because I would’ve definitely said screw it!

Stephanie Clement July 25, 2011 at 10:37 am

Do you live in Acton?!?!? I went to AB and Bagels Plus is such a staple!!

Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted July 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm

So glad to hear from other bloggers when their runs don’t go as planned. I often start out running and in the first 1/2 mile feel that I’m not even going to make it to a mile!