• Puppy & Cupcakes Adventures

July 18, 2011

Bailey says, “Heyyyyyy, ladies!”

Theodora had an interview this afternoon, so I met Bailey at her apartment after my bus arrived in the city. As soon as I walked in the door, Bailey immediately rolled on his back and requested belly rubs.

Of course, I couldn’t turn down such an adorable doggie face!

IMG_0003 (500x375) IMG_0001 (500x375)

A little while later, I said goodbye to Bailey and headed out onto the streets of New York City in search for cupcakes. I spent the next hour walking around the city trying to find the Crumbs on 42nd Street. I had my iPhone with me, but I just could not find it. I walked in circles, sweating like crazy in the 90-degree heat. Honestly, I got pretty cranky at one point. Just as I was about to give up on looking, I caught a glimpse of the Crumbs sign through the building scaffolding. Hallelujah!

Cupcakes! Glorious cupcakes!

As expected, they were big, wonderful, and delicious! (TWSS!)

I ended up choosing the Red Velvet cupcake, which was everything that I expected and more. The frosting was really sugary, but I managed to eat it all and not feel sick. The cake was one of the best Red Velvets I’ve ever eaten. It was smooth, soft, and super moist. It was pretty much perfect. Yummmmmm.

Theodora just got back to her apartment, so we’re going to drink a million John Dalys have some fun together!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love those yellow pillows!! Too cute!! Y’all have fun!

The Taster July 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I have to say, I don’t agree. Crumbs cupcakes are too big, so they don’t bake properly and aren’t moist. Also, the icing there is too sugary and lacks creamy consistency. I never understood why Crumbs Cupcakes caught on, maybe it was just good marketing in the height of the “cupcake boom.” If you are still in NYC, check out Magnolia, the Cupcake Stop or the Buttercup Bake Shop. Enjoy your trip!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites July 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

@The Taster: That is exactly how I feel about Sweet Cupcakes here in Boston. I have not had a cupcake from crumbs so I can only ogle at the yummy pictures…. But Sweet Cupcakes over here look just as good but in my opinion fall terribly short. I don’t eat bakery goods out often but every time I’ve had Sweet Cupcake (usually at a party or function) they seem super dry and the frosting is like worse than supermarket mass produced buttercream…. Like waxy/buttery with nit enough flavor or sweetness. I want to like cupcakes from these cute shops but perhaps when they become like REALLY mass produced they lose their flave? It’s a bummer…. Nothing beats a homemade cupcake IMHO.

nickee July 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

@The Taster:

I was just about to leave a similar comment when I saw yours :) I’ve had the Crumbs red velvet and really didn’t care for it. Heck its not even a cupcake – just a gigantic muffin which is not moist.

Tina July 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm

@nickee: My Red Velvet cupcake was SO MOIST!

MelanieF July 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

@Tina:

It’s funny because when we ate those last April we tought they were the most moist cupcakes we’ve had. And the most delicious.

Amy July 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm

ahh that store looks so fun! love the name!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Is that puppers a goldendoodle!? So cute!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites July 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Tina, I love it! I would have had a heat induced anxiety attack trying to find that place! I’m glad to hear the cupcake was totally worth it! LOVE the white chocolate sprinkles on top! Must have added such a nice sweet crunchy texture yay!!! Have lots and lots of fun tonight girl!

Suzanne July 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm

NYC cupcakes! My specialty!
    You must try Butter Lane, Two Little Red Hens, Billy’s Bakery, Sweet Avenue, and Sugar Sweet Sunshine. :)

nickee July 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

@Suzanne: Butter Lane is awesome!! :)

Suzanne July 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

@nickee: Indeed! The moist cake, the delectable frosting…yum. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I’m glad that cupcake was worth the search. It definitely looks it! :D

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm

oh WOW! That cupcake is huge, and I’d totally dominate the whole thing too. Looks good! My fav is def the icing, not the cake part. Heh. Have fun tonight :)

Paige @Running Around Normal July 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Bella is adorable!! Enjoy your girl time:)

Corrie Anne July 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

That dog is MAD FLUFFY!! I love it. The cupcakes look so amazing. We need a cupcake place in Winona!

Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love her couch pillows! So fun. And that cupcake looks incredible. MMMM.

Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Beware! Some of crumbs cupcakes aren’t as good as others… always make sure you get the ones with the cream cheese frosting! Their regular frosting is just TOO much.

Suzanne July 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm
    Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) July 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I want to stare at that cupcake picture forever. Never been to those fancy NYC cupcake places so I’m super jealous! :)

Skinny Fat Kid July 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You came to NYC on a wicked hot day! Brutal. Hope you didn’t get caught in that downpour!

Kaetlin @ dailydoseofrunning July 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I would have gotten SUPER cranky. I’m glad you stuck it out. I have a major desire to jump in closer to inspect all of those cupcakes! TOO CUTE! I also am in love with the decor in Theodora’s place!

Rachel July 18, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Why do you choose Lara Bar over other bars?

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic July 18, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Crumbs looks like a great place! I love cupcakes. I also love the yellow pillows on the couch.

Jamie@everydaydolce July 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Oh my, that cupcake looks to die for! I absolutely love red velvet! I want to go to NYC just for cupcake shops like that ;)

Sarah July 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

What kind of dog is Bailey? SO cute!

Jessica July 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm

What kind of dog is Bailey?

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking July 19, 2011 at 12:33 am

Yeah, the Red Velvet Cupcake is really sugary… but personally Crumbs isn’t for me. I find their cupcakes pretty, but not as fresh for some reason. My favorites are Billy’s and Magnolia. But Crumbs is tempting.

The Healthy Engineer July 19, 2011 at 2:23 am

Cupcakes and a cute dog?

My kind of monday :D

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 19, 2011 at 4:31 am

Yum looks great!

And what an adorable doggie! :)

Khushboo July 19, 2011 at 5:39 am

That cupcake looks worth the hunt!

MelanieF July 19, 2011 at 8:09 am

Wow, this was the place we bought some cupcakes while visiting NY in April for the first time. They were out of this world!!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 19, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love the super thick, sugary frosting – much better than the light, oily ones!

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 19, 2011 at 8:29 am

I feel like there are food network shows on every kind of cake/cupcake imaginable, and now want to see one called “Tina: The Cupcake Hunter” where you just scour the globe looking for poorly located but delicious cupcakes.

Remind me to DVR that one.

Hope July 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

That cupcake looks delicious! I have always wanted to try Crumbs cupcakes!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite July 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yessss Crumbs is my fave :) Just had some for my birthday this weekend!

Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

Puppies and Cupcakes…my two favorite things :)

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm

What a cute pup! Oh my gosh, I love cupcakes and would pretty much be in heaven in that place. ;)

Mike @ How To Make A Smoothie At Home July 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The cupcake looks great. We will visit Crumbs when in NYC. Great looking puppy.

claire July 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I can NOT WAIT to go to Crumbs when I’m in NYC!