• Harvard Pilgram 10K at Patriot Place

July 5, 2011

Success!! I completed the Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place without pooping my pants!

In all seriousness, finishing this race meant so much to me. A little over a week ago, I couldn’t even take Murphy for a walk around the block without an emergency trip to the bathroom. It’s amazing was some positive thinking, strong drugs, and a few dietary changes will do. A day later, I’m still smiling after my successful 10K finish.

Before the race yesterday morning, Mal and I met our friends, Elizabeth and Nick, to headed over to Patriot Place together. They picked up our numbers and t-shirts prior to race day, so we had plenty of time to hang out and ready ourselves before the start.

The race started promptly at 9:00 AM, but it was already super humid with the temps in the 80’s. The sun was blazing down on us while we waited in the corrals, so I started sweating even before the race started. Man, it was hot. Why don’t all summer races start at 7:00 AM?!

The 6.2-mile course started at Gillette Stadium, so the first mile followed the road through the parking lot and around the stadium.

The rest of the course was scenic and took us along a bike bath and through tree-lined roads and residential neighborhoods in Foxborough. It was very pretty.

Overall, the course was really flat with just one medium hill toward the end of the race– and it was nothing compared to the ones in Central Park!

The heat completely kicked my butt. I stopped at every water station (except for the last one), but the heat beat me. I tried to focus on driving my legs forward to keep up my pace, but my legs just weren’t having it. They felt like lead. Even still, the finish was so exciting, it was totally worth the effort to get there.

Just before the finish, you run through the stadium tunnel just like the Patriots football players!

And the official race finish is at the 50 yard line inside! So cool!

You can even see yourself on the giant 48-foot wide screen! Then, you can stick around on the field for as long as you want. It was awesome!

I finished in 54:18 (8:45), which wasn’t a PR by any means, but considering my condition last week, I’m really proud of my time!

• Mile 1: 8:25
    • Mile 2: 8:31
    • Mile 3: 8:42
    • Mile 4: 8:48
    • Mile 5: 8:57
    • Mile 6: 8:46

Total: 54:18 (8:45 pace)

If your curious, my speed demon husband finished in 40:09 (6:28 pace), and placed 45th out of more than 3,000 people. He was en fuego yesterday!

I’m still not sure whether I’m going to run the Boilermaker next weekend, but I’m definitely on the road to recovery!

Kelly (Meals for Miles) July 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

Finishing a race wtihout pooping your pants always, always = winning.

But for real, congrats on getting back out there and feeling great – you must be so, so happy! Hooray for good health :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite July 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Congrats, you made it! How cool to get to run through the stadium! Glad it all worked out for you :)

BethT July 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

Glad you’re feeling better! Mal is a BEAST!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 5, 2011 at 11:59 am

Colitis? Pshhh what Colitis!

Haha I don’t think I have ever seen a more triumphant first sentence to a blog post. Congratulations on the race and glad you’re feeling better :)

Kapri July 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

yayyyy, congrats!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner July 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Congrats to both of you! I’m so glad you were well enough to not only run this–but run it well!

Laura @ Backstage Pass July 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Congratulations, Tina! It must feel good to have a victory over your condition. It looks like it was a fun race and course :-)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

That’s brilliant Tina, great job! What a fabulous way to spend the 4th :)

Chad @ thebreakupnote July 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm

You did awesome – i’ve had friends who were diagnosed and say they can’t do anything, anymore. Nonsense! You proved it!

Katie July 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Congrats on finishing! And Mal – wow! What a killer finishing time!

PLSayrah July 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

YAY! I am so happy to hear you finished the race! :) Congratulations!

Lauren July 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

CONGRATS!!!!! That had to feel so great!

Dana July 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Congrats Tina!!! My boyfriend and I both ran it yesterday and I was hoping to see you in the crowd! I ran it after taking 2 months off from running but I did it! I’m so glad you are feeling better, as someone who has celiac disease I totally understand what you are going through!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hahaha I think that is the funniest opening line for a post ever! :P Congrats Tina!

Laura @ prettylittlewords July 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm

How is Mal SO FAST??? I seriously can’t even fathom running at that speed, haha.

Tina July 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm

@Laura @ prettylittlewords: He’s a freak of nature! :)

elizabeth July 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Congratulations!

Amelia July 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm

So happy to hear there was no poop on your run! ;) And BTW, you are on fire! Your times are awesome for someone who was keeping the porcelain throne company for most of the week. Your running has improved so much in the last year, right? Any secrets?

I’m still stuck at around a 9:30 and that’s pushing hard. I’m sure it’s all in my head but I’m not getting around it.

Melissa July 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Just catching up and wanted to let you know that this had me grinning from ear to ear! So glad you’re on the mend! :)

Misha July 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Wow! I was suffering from the same thing a while back. It was so painful and annoying. I couldn’t go but 2.5 miles before I had to take an emergency…like BAD emergency pit stop. Uhg. SOoo glad you were able to run your race.

Holly @ Pink Runner July 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Congrats!! That race looks awesome :)

Emily July 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm

CONGRATS on the very not-crappy run! I think finishing on a pro football field might be one of the coolest ways to end a race ever. SO happy for your progress and return to racing!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins July 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Awww yeaaahhh – so awesome! You must feel so empowered after finishing the race, despite the cards being stacked against you with the heat, humidity, AND colitis troubles. I definitely know that feeling of demolishing your expectations after having suffered a set back and its glorrrrious. Love that the race took you onto the field at the end – I want to do it next year!

Tina July 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

@Meghan @ StruggleMuffins: You totally should! It was such a fun race! :)

Khushboo July 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow- Congrats on finishing, that too with such a great time!

Hilary July 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yay for you! Must feel great….and I love that finish line…so cool! It’s amazing how much the heat can slow you down…I experienced the same thing on a 10 k in June

Margo @ peanut butter trees July 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Congrats on the race!!! SO happy you were able to run it, and run it well!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest July 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Congrats! You give me hope that I can do ok in a 10k this Sunday! I am glad your tummy behaved. :)

Sarah @ eat run garden July 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Yaay! So glad to hear your feeling better. You can run a 10k faster than I can even when your not 100%, 54 minutes is nothing to be sad about. :)

kristen July 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

awesome job! so glad you were able to do this race since you were having a bad week a few days ago.
    Also Mal is a speed demon- WOW!
    And to finish in the stadium and on the big screen, thats a really neat idea!

Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots July 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Congratulations on your race!

Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted July 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Congrats!!! So glad to see you’re getting your life back!

Anne P July 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hot damn Mal is FAST!

Congrats to both of you on your awesome times – so glad you are feeling better :) I hope you’re enjoying the pug salt and pepper shakers, hehe!

karlee @ olivewineandfood July 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm

yay congrats!

Alaina July 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm

That is amazing!!! I’m so glad you had such a good time and that you made such good time! :-) And holy-geez Mal is fast. If he ran a small race he could definitely win.

Ciera @ Rose and Thistle July 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Congrats! That’s a pretty awesome time too for someone who was meant to be below par – apparently not :) And 40 something minutes for the hubs, sheesh. What a speedy household!

April@ Motor City Runner July 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm

YAY!! Awesome awesome awesome!!

Heidi (Balance Project) July 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Congrats on a great race!

Abby July 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Great job on finishing! I didn’t realize Mal was such a speed demon!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 6, 2011 at 1:27 am

congratulations on your finish!!

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 6, 2011 at 4:28 am

Awesome job! And the ending to that race looks like so much fun!

char @ char on a mission July 6, 2011 at 9:51 am

Tina, despite what you’ve been through in the last little while, your paces are amazing! I honestly think you ran better than I would and I’m in ‘good’ health. And way to go to Mal!!! How do I convince my hubby to be my running partner?

It’s like he used to run when I was just covering short distances, but now that I’m getting into longer and signing up for my first races, he doesn’t run anymore!

lauri (redheadrecipes.com) July 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

Good job!!!!! Man, I bet it was HOT! I agree, all summer races should start by 7! I ran at 8am the other day and it was already miserably hot (and super humid) here in SC!

Holly July 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Ahh, sorry, this is WAY late, but I just wanted to tell you that I’m SO SO SO happy for you about the race..and not having stomach issues! :D I also think it’s AWESOME that you decided to run the race, despite the fear in running it due to the stomach issues.
    You really are a ROCKSTAR, Tina! Congrats :D

Abby July 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Way to go! I’m hoping to do the same (a 10-miler in Brooklyn next month) without the aid of the port-o-johns. Wish me luck!