• Typical Tina

June 16, 2011

As you know, I had a photo shoot for Where Women Cook at my house this morning. I thought the session was going to be short and sweet– you know, put on make-up, wear a brightly-colored top, stand still, and smile a lot. Well, when the photographer and her assistant arrived at my house, they expected a much more involved shoot… like, with me cooking— sort of like the name of the magazine they were shooting for. (Umm, duh. Sometimes, folks, I’m a total space cadet.)

This major oversight (as my husband would say) is a “typical Tina move.” I’m actually not a flighty person at all. In fact, I consider myself a Type A personality, and I (mostly) have my life together, but when it comes to details, I don’t always pay attention to them, especially with regard to emails with a lot of text.

On an average day, I get about 300 new emails in my inbox. Usually, I quickly scan each email and then decide to label it (for future reference) or delete it immediately to be never thought of again. If an email is important, it stays in my inbox until it is replied to or dealt with. The email about the photo shoot from Where Women Cook was labeled and sitting in my inbox, but I never thoroughly read it… until the photographer was already in my house ready to snap photos of me cooking. Crap.

Obviously, I was totally unprepared for the photo shoot. I didn’t even know what I wanted to cook! Thankfully, the photographer and her assistant were understanding and really nice about the whole mix up. While they set up their equipment, I sped to the grocery store to buy the ingredients needed to make my Oatmeal Raisin Bars. Thankfully, I live really close to a grocery store!

Once I returned, the photographer got to work snapping photos of each of the (newly purchased) ingredients.

Once she got the shots she needed, I started baking my Oatmeal Raisin Bars. It’s a quick and easy recipe, but the photographer got beautiful, detailed photos of every step. She showed me a few shots on her camera, and they looked really great. I’m excited to see the final product in August!

Meanwhile, Murphy kept a close eye on what was happening in the kitchen.

Pugs are so nosy sometimes.

The pug actually ended up being in a number of the photos taken today. I hope he ends up in the article with me. How fun would that be!?!

Are you a details person? Have you ever flaked out on something important? What happened? Please tell me that I’m not the only one!

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Seriously Tina, how can you get ANYTHING done with that adorable dog around?! I would just be playing with him nonstop 24/7!

lynn @ the actor's diet June 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

i’m usually very organized but lately i’ve been flaking on things. i have too much on my plate!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’m usually a details person but things fall through the cracks sometimes, for sure. Happens to everyone. Thank goodness for pugs to lighten the situation up!

Lauren June 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’m actually super details-oriented, but I definitely have my flighty moments too. I think they’re inevitable in everyone. :)

Ashley @ Will Run for Food June 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

How fun! I tend to stress out about things like that and go over the details multiple times. Though earlier this year I accidently booked a p.m. flight instead of an a.m. one…major oops! :) Still not exactly sure how that happened…

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I think I’m the same way, now that I hear you say that! Glad it all worked out :-)

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’m usually super organized and detailed oriented. But that all goes out the window when I’m stressed!
    That’s exciting about the photo shoot, can’t wait to see the article!

Sarah for Real June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Ugh what an awful feeling in the pit of your stomach. When things like that happen, you know you’re overbooked.

In your busy shoes I’d have probably finally read the whole email 5 minutes before they arrived and had a panic attack. I almost think it’s better the way it actually happened for you though. And it all worked out in the end, which is all that really matters anyway.

Dori June 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Terrible at details, flake on everything. Glad it all worked out! Murphy is HUGE in your lap!

Brenda @Baby on the Way June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I am the same way with emails! I skim to get the main idea/date,event, and time. Unlike you, I don’t have the excuse of 300 emails a day; I guess I’m just lazy! Summer makes things even worse!

MB June 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You are not the only one. I’m sure we’ve all done it from time to time. Can’t wait to see the article. You missed a great kickboxing class but I guess you had more important things to do today.

Kayla June 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Oooh oatmeal raisin bars sound yummy… Do you happen to have the recipe for that? I’d love to make those! Glad your interview went well! :)

April@motorcity running girl June 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I am a huge detail person!! I tend to stress about details and then end up forgetting the important stuff!! You’re not the only one :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I am totally a details person!!!

Molly @ RDexposed June 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m right there with you! Once at an interview I was asked to do a case study which involved calculating BMI. I totally blanked on the equation! I mean I can calculate BMI in my sleep! I didn’t get the job….

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Oh no! That is one of my worst nightmares -I HATE looking unprepared or like I missed a detail. I’m super type A as well, but sometimes email get SO wordy and your eyes just glaze over. Glad it all worked out for you though!

Sharon June 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Oh, totally do not feel bad! When I read your morning post about the photo shoot, it never occurred to me that you might actually COOK! I just though they were going to shoot WHERE you cook. :) I am also Type A and well-functioning and things like this happen to me too- sometimes our brains just don’t put 2 and 2 together for whatever reason! Don’t feel badly at all. I am sure you were still a much nicer, easier person to photograph than many of the other people/situations they have dealt with!

Also, I have the same exact measuring spoons! Love them! The more I read your blog, the more things you and I have in common, ha!

Wifey June 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm

You’re not alone. Every once in awhile I have what my husband calls, “Jessica Simpson” moments. GASP!

I’ve got to check and see if you have the recipe listed for those bars!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Christine @ Burning It Off June 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Aww, these things happen. I work at a magazine and, trust me, nobody ever thoroughly reads e-mails lol… at least you were nice enough to run out and get some baking supplies at the last minute instead of leaving the photographer with nothing to photograph.

Abby June 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I’m a details person but I am right there with ya–sometimes long emails just make my eyes glaze over! lol :) Glad everything worked out well today!

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life June 16, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Oh I totally relate, Tina! I also consider myself pretty Type A, but I’ve done similar space cadet things. Most embarrassing thing was in high school – I ran out of gas on the way to take my AP US History exam, lol. My dad had to come help and everything. Oh geez. Still made it to the exam, and got a good score – phew!

On a different note, SO awesome that you got to do a photo shoot! And I have a sneaking suspicion that we’ll see Murphy in a few pics ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 16, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Don’t worry about it Tina, we’ve ALL done something like that before. I’m glad it all worked out in the end though! :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy June 16, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I am a very detailed person, but I hate long emails. I find the longer the email the more I am not paying attention to what the email is saying towards the end!

Maria June 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Congratulations on getting into the magazine!! Your dog is super cute. I’m a details person I guess, my handwriting is very neat and I obsess over every little thing! It’s good because I get things done well, but quite annoying and time-consuming because I can’t just give it a rest!!

Kelly June 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’m the same as you- very Type A and often organized. However, I am the same way with details. I would never write on my resume “detail person” and I’m okay with that- it’s important to have big picture people in the world too!

Shana June 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I wrote “detail oriented” to describe myself on a performance evaluation for work and then made a major error on three other evaluations I was completing. It was obvious I was not detail oriented at all! Fortunately my boss has a good sense of humor!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Tina Tina, I totalllllyyyyyy relate to you!!! I’m kind of space cadet-y sometimes too and it takes extra effort to be detailed with little things like that. Of course, I’ve trained myself to make sure to read everything when I get emails, etc. But for the most part, I’m more of a big picture type of person hehe :)

Amy June 16, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Well, I think it is completely understandable that you wouldn’t actually be cooking for a shoot.. especially since Magazines are usually quick in regards to shooting times. And seriously, how fricken cute is Murphy lol. I totally hope he is in the final product too!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Long text filled emails are the worst! Your shoot sounds like such a blast! I bet the picties turn out great. Can’t wait for it to come out!

Hannah June 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm

How great that they were so understanding! I’m sad we don’t get the magazine in Australia :(

Carla @ Fit From Within June 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’m usually super organized, but often my boss has to remind me to pay attention to the little things so I can totally relate! Sounds like everything turned out wonderful in the end with your photo shoot! :)

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic June 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Sounds like things worked out. Good thing you live so near the grocery store. I always feel so out of sorts when things aren’t going quite as planned. I’m usually pretty organized and rarely forget things, but when it does it happen, I’m mortified.

Sarah June 16, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I hope Murphy ends up in the photos too. That would be adorable. Typically, I’m super type A… it’s a rare occurrence that I mess something up BIG time, but when it happens, it happens full throttle.

Sheila June 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm

We can all stand up and say, I have been there. Too many balls in the air at the same time. How does that saying go, be sure and cross your t’s and dot your i’s.
    The pro that you are you pulled it off and saved the day:))

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking June 17, 2011 at 12:28 am

i think you will do fine… and i really hope murphy is in the article with you, he’s so cute.

OMG, i read your other post, poor guy because he slipped into the water… awww.. he must have been so scared.
    :-(

khushboo June 17, 2011 at 1:43 am

Flaky u might be but at least u can think on your feet! I would have freaked out at a last min crisis like that!

I’m a mega planner, so I make lists like it’s my job to avoid situations like that!

Hope there will be an online issue of the mag!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 17, 2011 at 3:38 am

300 e.mails – oh my!

sounds like a fun, semi-hectic day in the kitchen :)

Cheri June 17, 2011 at 7:06 am

I am the same way. If an email is to long – I only skim it! I have been known to miss details on occasion. Even though I am a Type A personality – I think my ADD comes into play!

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers June 17, 2011 at 8:58 am

I know that feeling all too well. I pride myself on being the responsible, list-type person in most situations. Of course, every now and then, I’ll manage to bring every possible thing for any situation and forget something crucial like… my driver’s license, or my cell phone charger! tsk tsk to this bad traveler.

Hopefully, Murph will make his pug debut and I hope he’s sm-eyes-ing!

Katherine: Unemployed June 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

I’m so details + overall ;; it’s hard to balance both

Alyssa June 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m glad that, despite the mix-up, the photo shoot went well. I bet the article is going to turn out GREAT! Especially if Murphy is in it. :D

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

When you have that many e-mails, I can honestly say that it’s easy to skim through and not necessary focus on the details. It happens to the best of us but it totally worked out in the end :)

Amelia June 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Not enough sleep or rest, I’m totally flaky. Thank goodness my cuteness makes up for a lot of it! Otherwise, I am so detail oriented about parts of my life (making sure my bed is made every morning) but pretty lassiez-faire about other things.

Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

i am not a detailed or organized person at all. I have stacks and stacks of papers and other stuff that half the time I don’t know what’s in it. BUT, I will say this, I am always on time to an appointment. Early even. I hate keeping people waiting.

Katie G June 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Ha, this sounds like something I would do. Same here, type A personality but there are times that I totally space out…my boyfriend is always there to point out when these moments occur…ha