• The Glove Department

June 10, 2011

Happy Friday!!! 8-)

I am so psyched that it’s finally Friday because Mal and I are off to New York City for the weekend. On Saturday morning, I’m running the Mini 10K with some blog buddies and then Mal and I are planning to explore the city and drink some good beer for the rest of the afternoon. I can’t wait to introduce him to The Ginger Man!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast started with iced coffee. I poured myself a glass as soon as I got out of bed. It was one of those mornings.

_MG_2565 (500x333)

To eat, I whipped up an oldie, but goodie recipe: Oatmeal Pancake. I topped it with banana slices, maple syrup, and a scoop of peanut butter. I also mixed some chia seeds into the batter. So good!

_MG_2567 (500x333)

The other day, I stumbled upon this little piece in US Weekly about how some of the Real Housewives “wreck havoc” on the English language:

I love these ladies.

Maybe they’re just not the brightest bunch?

Or maybe they just have no idea what the hell they are talking about?

Which, of course, sometimes happens to the best of us! ;-)

One of Mal’s favorite stories to embarrass me tell about me happened a good year into our relationship. We were in the car together going somewhere— I was driving; he was in the passenger seat. I wanted my sunglasses, so I asked him to grab them out of the “glove department” for me. Instead of opening the glove compartment, Mal stopped and started at me, and then he asked me to repeat what I just said. Clear as day, I asked for my sunglasses in the “glove department,” so, of course, he started cracking up. Apparently, I made it 24 years of my life thinking that the glove compartment in a car was called the “glove department.” Mal still makes fun of me.

This story is even funnier because my sister calls the glove compartment the EXACT same thing. I guess my mom never corrected us growing up. I’m sure she just thought it was funny, but my sister and I both made it into our adult years calling it by the wrong name. Thankfully, we have husbands to correct make fun of us!

Have you ever had trouble with the English language?

Please share your story. I need a good laugh this morning!

Lindsay June 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I NEVER get turns of phrase right. I seriously sound like someone who is new to the English language every time I try to use a common phrase. I can’t think of any good examples off the top of my head (probably because I butcher everything I try to say!)

I also say “down the shore” because I’m from New Jersey and that’s the way we roll :)

AJ June 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm

My husband (and many of his friends) have very thick Boston accents and they love their Guiness! When we first started dating, they were often doing car bombs when we went out. It was year later that I asked him if he wanted one of those “cow bombs” and he had no clue what I was talking about. We still laugh about it today!

Alyssa June 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I once went into El Pollo Loco and asked if the pollo bowl had chicken in it.
    And my mom is a journalism professor. She constantly gets papers from her students that contain the phrase “doggie dog world.” Which, actually, is a whole lot nicer and cuter than the actual phrase, lol!

Mom June 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Sorry about the glove department thing! I think my siblings started that.

Lara @ Treslala June 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I used the phrase “for all intensive purposes” in my thesis. When I proudly provided it to my mom to read (after I’d turned it it, of course) she circled it in red (she used to be a teacher). I had to ask why, because it looked perfectly fine to me. Apparently what I meant to say was, “for all intents and purposes”. Woops.

Errign June 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm

@Lara @ Treslala: I used to say that too!

Amy @ love4living.com June 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Ah what an awesome story (and post!) So many good stories in the comments too lol. NYC sounds like a blast too; hopefully you will have good drankin’ weather.. I mean running weather.

sheryl June 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm

My sis and I made it into our late teens thinking that the “wind chill” was the wind shield! I also thought that it was called the “joot box” instead of juke. And I worked in a diner with one playing all day. :)

Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly's June 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I also say glove department, even though I know it’s wrong. It started in high school, when I was out late and having a laugh fest with friends and accidentally said department. It drives my husband crazy.

Jen M. June 11, 2011 at 3:12 am

What a cute story! I love it! You know the phrase about treating someone with “kid” gloves? My dad constantly said it wrong and referred to it as treating someone with “kit” gloves — we had to google it before he’d believe us!

Liz June 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

So as I was reading this post, I thought to myself: “I always say things incorrectly!” but could not think of any examples. So I was bummed out that I couldn’t offer up a giggle at my expense. Then ofcourse I was telling my boyfriend about my day last night and said “She is like Hekyll and Jyde!” Hmmmm sounded a little weird but I continued my ranting. My boyfriend was like “She’s like what?” “Hekyll and Jyde” I say shaking my head up and down to emphasis my point.

Well this continues for a few more rounds until finally he goes “Liz, it’s Jekyll and Hyde.

Owwww!

EmilyK June 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

I thought the same thing… that it was a glove department!! Buuut I learned the truth (and was made fun of) when I was 10… not 24!!! haha. I still don’t know my right hand from my left hand. go figure

Crista June 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

I say “expresso” instead of “espresso” and I never realized I was saying anything wrong until a good girl friend of mine cracked up thinking I was saying that on purpose… like expressive coffee. NOPE I just had no idea there wasn’t an “x” in the word!

Dawn June 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm

My daughter thought the glove compartment was the “club department” until about a month ago when we had a very similar conversation. At least you had half of it right!

Sara June 12, 2011 at 1:51 am

I thought “chest of drawers” was “chester drawers” until, like, 2 years ago. I am 31. :) Too funny.

Marlow June 12, 2011 at 6:34 am

Up until high school, I thought it was “chester drawers” instead of “chest of drawers”

Lacey @ Lake Life June 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Lol for a long time I thought the corrrect term was “disposable” thumbs, instead of opposable thumbs!

Lauren C. June 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

These stories have been cracking me up. I do have one story. When I was probably around 11, my sister (2 years younger) and I were up in our bathroom brushing our teeth, and I said something about the “flaucet” (pronounced it “floss-it:”) My sister was immediately cracking up and yelled down to my mom “Lauren called a faucet and floss-it!!” She won’t let me live it down.

But there also was the time she told me she “had first tibs” on the cake! lol. I get her back with that one.

I’m sure there are a couple more, but not many, I’d hope since I was an English major! lol

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd June 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

That’s so funny! One of my friends says the phrase “play it by year” instead of “play it by ear.”

Stephanie Clement June 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

omgosh! I know I’m late commenting on this post but I feel your pain!! My family is from Canada and we always joke about our ‘isms’ and whatnots. Anyways, I had been dating my current fiancee for about 4 years at the time. We were in our new apartment and I was making dinner. I said I might not have time to make the dinner I wanted to make him because I didn’t think I have enough time to “de-thaw” the chicken. “Dear, you need to de-thaw your chicken to cook it”….”well, yeah! or else it’ll be all frozen…”. Blank stares. I was totally confused…..and apparently my family has gotten this wrong my whole life :)