• Spoke Too Soon

June 27, 2011

I guess I spoke too soon because I feel terrible this morning. I thought I made some progress yesterday, but it doesn’t seem like that at all today. I really hope things turn around ASAP.

Breakfast

I woke up starving this morning, so I quickly made a toasted bagel with butter and poured myself a glass of Ensure, which I poured over ice to help dilute its sweetness. It actually sort of reminded me of a coffee milkshake. Mmm!

My day isn’t off to the best start ever, but, thankfully, I have a great blog friends who send me funny pug videos that make me smile. Thanks, Kelly!

I hope your Monday is off to a better start than mine!

What/who has made you smile today?

Lauren June 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

AHHH…that video just made me LOL loudly at my desk at work..oops! My dog wouldn’t let me near her with the vacuum (one of the hundreds of things she is scare of) but I wish she would since she is shedding so much right now it has turned into molting.

Sorry you aren’t feel so hot this morning, I really hope you find a solution to your belly problems VERY soon!

Sarah June 27, 2011 at 11:21 am

My Monday hasn’t started too well, either. I’m being tested for a thyroid disorder, so lots o’ blood has been drawn. Never fun getting tested for “diseases,” but if they can fix it.. I’m down! On that note, I smiled while on my walk this morning because it was just so darn gorgeous outside :)

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh no! The thing about illness and injuries is that some days you will have good days, and some days will be bad days. The bad days totally make you feel like all the progress you have made is gone, but make sure you look at the big picture though! Having good days means you are making progress :)

Lisa June 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

Sorry you still aren’t feeling well! :(

I smiled this weekend because even though I was sick, my boyfriend was very thoughtful and planned an amazing weekend getaway for our anniversary!

Bake a Little June 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

I want a pug so badly! That made me smile. My Giant glass of water when I came in from the hot sun made me smile as well.

erica June 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

Tina,
    I read your blog daily and am so sorry to hear you are having health problems. I had similar problems (and still do occasionally). I know this is going to sound odd and maybe counter-intuitive, but the only thing that helps me when i’m having a flare up is Citracel. It is an over the counter fiber supplement (orange and white bottle). Like I said, I know people with bowel issues are told to lay off the fiber, but my boyfriend (a doctor) made me try this after many miserable weeks of not being able to leave the house. I started to feel better within the first dose (I took two pills right away) and then took two more every few hours. I consistently took 1-2 pills immediately upon waking then 1-2 more while I prepared each meal (I always took it before I ate anything) for about 6 months. After that time period, I was feeling great so I began to cut down on it. Now I take them sporadically and run for them if I feel a flare up coming on. This is the ONLY thing that worked for me. I hope this helps. If you want any more suggestions of what might help, please feel free to email me.
    Feel better soon!

Kelly June 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

@erica: This makes sense since soluble fiber is usually good for tummy issues (vs. insoluble fiber we often think of as fiber like lettuce, spinach etc). I took benefiber for a long time and it helped my stomach too :)

Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) June 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

@erica: That’s a good suggestion and I also heartily recommend Garden of Life Primal Defense probiotic capsules – in the refrigerated vitamin section of health food stores. Good luck!

Heather June 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Get well soon!

I smiled today at the yummy breakfast casserole I had and the fact that I have a short work week. Vacay starts soon!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm

This series cracks me up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gspaoaecNAg&feature=player_embedded It’s by the Harvard Sailing Team.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Tina June 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm
    Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ah, I’m sorry you feel so lousy. Feeling unwell is such a terrible thing.. Relax and hopefully this will all boil over soon and it will just be a distant memory.

Lauren June 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

So sorry your morning is off to a bad start. Getting well is a process — you have bad days and better days, and eventually you have good days.

Getting cute texts made me smile today. :)

Nancy June 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Tina – Sorry to hear that things aren’t improving a lot yet. Just thought I’d mention that Ensure has dairy in it which can trigger GI symptoms in some people. Just something to keep in mind as you move forward!

Roz June 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Awww! So sorry you’ve had a bit of a setback Tina!! If you take two steps forward and one back, you’re still moving forward! (how hokey was THAT??? :) But it’s true) Hang in there!!!! Hope you keep stepping forward from here!

Kim K June 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

ensure is a great way to get in nutrients when you have a flare up, if you can handle the lactose…. and i think they are pretty tasty!!! this amazing weather is making me smile!

Wendy Irene June 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Sending {{hugs}} Tina! I hope you can get in a nap today. Sleep deprived makes everything harder.

cw June 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

This didn’t really make me smile, but reading Caitlin’s blog (healthytippingpoint) about her neighbor, Tonya, and her incredible strength and attitude with her brain cancer, really put my health problems (and other gripes for that matter) into perspective. Just wow. She is an inspiration (and had me in tears).

Lisa June 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm

@cw: I agree, CW! Reading Caitlin’s post really put things in perspective for me at a time when I definitely needed it. We are so blessed to be where we are, whether we realize it or not.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Waking up to sunshine rather than June gloom made me smile :) I hope you feel better today!

Lisa June 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I smiled today at the TWO “Welcome Home” signs my husband made me, one waiting outside the door when I got home at 1 AM after 16 hours of traveling, made of the paper he said he would shred while I was gone (and did), and the other made of Sunny Seed tubes as a “submission” for my blog. I am so blessed.

Hope you feel better, Tina! Sporadic GI pains are the worst!

zora'smom June 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I hope you feel better soon. When I saw the photos of your eats last night, I was wondering if you were being a little too ambitious. That was a great looking meal but it was a far cry from your white rice and broiled chicken. Just a thought.

Jess June 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hopefully it’ll just be today that’s worse :( Feel better.

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

o no!! I am so sorry Tina. I was happy to hear that you were starting to feel better! Have you heard anything back from your doctor? I’m praying for you… stomach pain is the worst thing ever!

Jaime June 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Feel better! Hope the rest of your day improves. LOL my dentist made me smile this morning when I got a healthy teeth report- No cavity club for me :) Sad but true :)

Amanda Jewell June 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Give it some time, it may have something to do with your eats yesterday. Did you end up deciding to cut out gluten for a short time/trial? I’m sorry you’re struggling right now, but keep in mind you’ve got a great support network here (and of course, from those two cute boys you live with) :-)

Ali June 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I read damnyouautocorrect.com for a few minutes during my lunch break today and I nearly died laughing. I needed a little comic relief. I hope you are feeling better soon! Oh and beautiful hydrangeas!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m sorry you feel bad, Tina. Hope it gets better soon.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

That made me giggle. Sorry your day isn’t look as good as yesterday. At least you get “coffee milkshakes.”

It made my day thus far to walk up with two dogs using me as pillows. I slept in a bit and they were happy to join me in bed.

erinbee. June 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm
    Tina June 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

@erinbee.: So cute!!

Christie June 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm

It’s possible that you have seen this before, but I saw it and thought of you immediately!

hope you feel better SOON!

Tina June 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm

@Christie: THAT just made my day! Thank you!!

Christie June 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

@Tina: yay! your pics of Murphy make MY day EVERYDAY :)

erica June 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm

sorry to hear you’re not feeling much better :(

what made me smile today? that pug video!!!

Hillary June 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

My boyfriend and I are long-distance, and he’s been in town this last week for a nice, extended visit. He’s heading back to NC today, and when I walked in the door after work, I saw a huge bouquet of flowers waiting for me as a “farewell” present. That boy is a keeper.

Hope you’re feeling better!!

Suzanne June 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hey Tina,

I find myself leaving you comments more often than usual. I know that you receive hundreds of comments every day, and that you can not answer / acknowledge all of them. So I never really know if you get to read my comments…but it’s ok, I just want to show my support.

When I read your post this morning, it actually made me tear up a little, because what you’re going through sounds so similar to what I went through a few years ago. I spent a lot of my day on the couch, close to the bathroom, eating pop tarts and animal crackers, praying that the cramps and urgency would stop. I had to take sick leave from work. I was a newlywed, and I was the worse company to my new husband. :(

I’m so glad to see that you try to get yourself up and about and keep a positive attitude. You are an inspiration to anyone who is suffering from a health problem. Thanks for sharing on your blog and making us all smile with your fun Murphy pics. (Sorry! I’m repeating from my other posts. I love Murphy!)

I hope you feel better REAL soon!

Tina June 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm

@Suzanne: Aww, thank you!

40 something in Paris June 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Just discovered your blog this weekend, I love it ! What made me smile today is the heat and summer weather that is here in Paris, as well as the Pug video !

Caroline @Everyday-Caroline June 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hey Tina! Just wanted to let you know that my sister Hilary suffers with Crohn’s disease and that there is a lot of support out there for it. Even an annual run every year to raise money for people with Colitis/Crohn’s. She is able to live normally without making huge sacrifices to her diet too and not everyda brings pain. Hope you feel better soon, keep your head up! :)

Laura June 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hi Tina,
    Sorry to hear things haven’t been great today. I also have UC (for fourteen years now, ugh!) the one mistake I made through the years was beating myself up when I tried everything that I could to get better, and didn’t. I came to realize that it wasn’t my fault that I was sick (I am eat very well and always work out, like you) and that sometimes, as Lance Armstrong once said, “healthy people get sick, too”.
    Often recovery is like that; you’ll fell great one day and then feel worse the next. But that’s okay because eventually, you WILL get
    better. Just try to be patient, I know it’s tough.
    In addition, there is a free app for your iPhone called GI Monitor that you may want to try. Didn’t work that well for me, but others say that it is very helpful.
    Oh, and the silver lining to all of this is when you get active again, you’re going to appreciate it so much, and it’s really going to feel fantastic.
    All the best!

Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink June 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I think it’s important to remember that your body is changing. I remember when my first GI Monster showed it’s green face, I thought “why now? I didn’t have this problem before”. As from what I understand, our bodies change as we get older. Whatever foods trigger it, you’ll figure it out… just like I said in my email to you. Take it one day, one meal at a time and go from there.

The thing that made me smile? Seeing my kids at work after a week off.

Claire June 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

If you truly have a colitis (which it does sound like) then the part of the intestine that makes lactose is the first thing to do and the last to come back…could be that adding the Ensure with its dairy is part of the culprit of feeling worse today. So sorry you’re having such a hard time. Can’t remember if you said you have or not, but I would consider seeing a doctor if you continue to feel poorly (if you haven’t already). Hope you feel better soon, Tina!

Allyson June 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm

So sorry to hear about issues, I totally understand. Whenever i eat outside of food I make/cook I am running to the bathroom. thankfully my husband has the same tummy/poop issues. My New found live that works sooo good (for me) are 3 tums, love them take them any and all times.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Aww its so frustrating to start to feel glimmers of healthiness and vibrancy – glimmers of a once-happy stomach – and then have that all go to hell when the unsavory symptoms start to roll in. I hope that things start to look – for good – soon.

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 27, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Hope you start feeling better soon! How annoying it must be, especially when you don’t know exactly what triggers it! Grr.

My daughter, Ariel made me smile today. She was in the back seat on our way to Papa’s and I told her to count the cars. She said “one, two, three”!

Hilary June 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Super-killer workout made me smile!

Claire June 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Hang in there Tina! I am thinking/praying that you find relief soon. I love your blog!!

Kait June 27, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Ahhh… feel so much better! :(

Anna June 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Little things make a day better. My stomach decided not to like me this morning but stepping outside to water the veggies and seeing and feeling the sun made my day much better. Hope you get some good rest tonight!

Jamie@everydaydolce June 28, 2011 at 2:44 am

Oh my, I will pray for you Tina. Hang in there. Remember how blessed you are…everyday. You have so much going for you and you love what you do and have a cool husband and a cute pug…these are the things that will keep you strong when you’re weak. I hope they can, at least. You’ve got to find your strength and ground yourself in during a time like this.
    Hope you can sleep well and long tonight! :)

Jenny June 28, 2011 at 8:08 am

Hope you feel better soon. I have wanted to vacuum my pug a million times, oh the hair is so crazy sometimes!

Kara June 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi There! Have you tried taking probiotics or considered acupuncture? I swear by both and highly recommend them especially when you system has gone into hypersensitive mode. Hope you feel better soon!!!