• Porch Hang

June 15, 2011

What a beautiful day in Boston! I thought the rain would never end! Hooray for sunshine! 8-)

I planned to go to Body Pump this morning, but when I arrived at the gym, I learned that the 10:30 class was taken off the schedule. Boo. I guess I missed the memo. Since I was already at the gym, I stayed and did 40 minutes on the elliptical and then headed home to do MizFit’s My Trainer Fitness 100-Calorie Workouts.

I grabbed my set of 10-pound dumbbells and got to work on the back porch. I ended up doing the Day 2 upper body/cardio workout, which took me just about 20 minutes. I really liked the workout and found it challenging. I can definitely see myself incorporating more of these quickie workouts into my daily exercise routine.

In between sets, I kept my heart rate up by playing pug-o-war with Murphy.

Bicep curl.

For lunch, I ate leftovers from last night’s dinner, a million Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels, and an Almond Joy iced coffee from Marylou’s. Then, Murphy and I set up my office outside on the back porch. This, my friends, was a fantastic idea!

Once I was settled, I worked with a 28-pound pug on my lap. Despite this LARGE obstacle, I managed to get a lot done this afternoon.

Now, I’m off to play with Ali!

See ya!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Those peanut butter pretzels are dangerous! Have you tried the chocolate-covered ones? I always seem them at TJ’s but am afraid I’ll become addicted!

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Looks like a fun office day! Now I want a MaryLou’s coffee!

lynn @ the actor's diet June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

how in the world do you work with murphy on your lap in the HEAT?!? i can’t have my dog’s fur touch me when it’s over 75

Stephanie @The Travelling Tastebuds June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

@lynn @ the actor’s diet: It’s super hot here in California, Lynn! Maybe not as hot in Boston?

Stephanie @The Travelling Tastebuds June 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You make me want a dog so badly!

Stephanie @The Travelling Tastebuds June 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm

By the way… my friend has a pug… but he’s blind :( So he keeps bumping into walls and has a huge bald spot on his head! Otherwise… he’s very cute & loveable :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love working from home outside. Best invention ever!! I love fast quick lifting workouts. Weight training feels oh so good!

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

So cool you can work out outside! It’s so hot in FL, I sweat just walking to my car!

Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You’re having a pug but you still need the laptop tent for full-on outdoor working ;-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love working outside on my deck. It’s perfectly shaded all day too so the glare isn’t too bad on the computer screen.

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

It was nice in Buffalo today too. I took my class outside for recess and I didn’t want to come in! Not that that’s unusual – ha! I actually got up and ran this morning and when I got home it was so sticky in my house that I did my jack knives and stretches on my back deck….yay for working outside!

Julia June 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Haha the best type of bicep curl I’ve seen. I wish my dog was little enough to do that ;)
    Playing with pets definitely should count as working out.

Angela June 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I’ve only heard about the famous PB filled pretzels, and I hope to one day track some down. They sound amazing! (And addictive!)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Working outside is the best! Although I’m not sure I could do it with a dog on my lap — I’d get too warm!

Wifey June 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm

LOVE Miz … and your work area!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

So nice of Murphy to help you get your work done! ;)

jen @ taste life June 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Aw, it’s so cute that Murphy sits on your lap. My 12-pound cat can drive me batty when I’m trying to work; I don’t know how you do it with a 28-lb dog on your lap!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

a million Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels, and an Almond Joy iced coffee from Marylou’s = that sounds about perfect to me!! :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

ahhh what a great day! So jealous you got to work outside. It was so beautiful!

Alyssa June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

“Pug of war” Hee!

Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

kate June 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

aww your dog is precious I love sitting outside and working !

Abby June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Bummer about Body Pump! I ran into the same problem yesterday! Do you know of anything that helps with glare on the computer screen since you worked outside?

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love sitting in my backyard! It’s not nearly as warm here as I would like. June weather is so weird here!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm

What a cute lap dog!

Susan June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Murphy – who are you hoping for tonight? One arf – Bruins; two arfs Canucks?

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) June 15, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Ha! Ha! Nice bicep curl!

Cait's Plate June 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

HA – pug-o-war. That’s awesome.

Brenda @Baby on the Way June 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love your office!

Jill Will Run June 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’m super jealous you could work outside today. It’s way too hot in Vegas right now for me to set-up shop outside. It’s even too hot inside my home office right now for my pup, #JadeTheBoxer is hanging out in the hall under the A/C. (Of course, if she was on my lap I’d have a 54 pound obstacle, which she definitely tries to get away with at times!)

Sarah June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Gorgeous day :) Love the pug pictures… there are much worse obstacles than loving, furry animals.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Great job exercising! Your dog is so adorable :)

Sarah June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

working outside is the best! A little vitamin D therapy is always welcome during work hours.

Christine (The Raw Project) June 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Too cute on pug-o-war. :-) Nice outdoor office, I usually end up with my dog in my lap too.

Molly @ RDexposed June 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Doggie treadmill for 3rd birthday!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I used to loooove to study outside but it gets so distractive!

Jayme @ Runner n Spice June 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

What a bummer about body pump! I’m heading to a class at 8:00 pm…perhaps I should call in advance!

Parita June 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I was SO happy to see the sun this morning! Finally!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) June 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I warned you about those pretzels didn’t I? :)

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles June 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I always try to drag my laptop out in the sun to work…but the glare on the screen always makes it impossible. Any secrets?

Amy June 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I was actually perusing Ocean State Job Lot (since it is fairly new in MASS) and came across those pretzels for like 3 bucks.. hope that was a good deal and they aren’t like a buck 50 at TJ’s lol

Hannah June 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Can I play with Murphy while you play with Ali? :P

Lauren June 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

It was a gorgeous day here too!
    THey just canceled my usual BP class at my gym as well. So sad when the get rid of a good thing. :(

katie @ KatieDid June 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

i love loveee doing work outside. sometimes the glare can be too much but if you find a shady spot it is so enjoyable! it’s such a win-win situation so you don’t feel like your wasting the beautiful weather.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Working outside is so nice! It almost makes studying bearable. :P

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Murphy is 28 pounds??? that is so much heavier than i would have thought! ha!

I would LOVE to be able to work outside! good for you! Do you have a trick for still being able to see your computer screen in the sun though?? Sometimes I’ll try doing stuff on the computer outside but can hardly see my screen with the sun glare!

Pam June 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm

What a great spot to workout and work!

Hilary June 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I HATE it when classes get cancelled on me! My fav has been cancelled the last 2 Saturdays in a row! :( :(

MB June 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Since you missed out on Body Pump today you should come to TaeBox at Womens Fitness of Boston tomorrow at noon. My treat ;)

Khushboo June 16, 2011 at 4:56 am

Oh i hate when gym classes get cancelled, especially the ones which are at a great time! When I was not working, 10.30 was a perfect time for class as it left enough gap after breakfast.

Beth (Well Ill Be) June 16, 2011 at 11:34 am

It looks like it was such a nice day to work outside!