• Letter to Your Younger Self

June 1, 2011

Good morning!

My day started with delicious Corn Fritters drizzled with maple syrup. Mmm! The first several bites tasted amazing, but the more I ate, the tougher it became to stomach them. I’m so burnt out on eating leftover corn, the Corn Fritters just weren’t as appetizing as they usually are. I hate that when it happens.

Last Night’s Dinner

Last night’s dinner included more corn, but mixed into a broccoli slaw, which was inspired by this recipe from Real Simple. I also ate a cheeseburger on a Sandwich Thin with a pickle, ketchup, and spicy mustard. Burgers are getting pretty old too.

Cappuccino Chip ice cream, however, is not! I don’t think I could ever get sick of eating ice cream!

Feel Great Weight

This week’s Feel Great Weight post was a lot of fun to write! I wrote a letter to my younger self at a time in my life when I was really unhappy with my weight: A Letter to My Weight-Gaining, 23-Year-Old Self.

Think back 8-10 years. What would you say to your younger self?

melissa (fitnessnyc) June 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

always love your FGW posts! can’t wait to read it!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

I would tell myself to take school more seriously. I am 21 and still in community college!

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 1, 2011 at 10:42 am

mmm broccoli slaw! looks delicious…I might try it!

Apple A Day June 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Oh geeze: where do I start!? I don’t need to write a letter to myself, I just need a flashing neon sign that says:

DON’T EAT YOUR FEELINGS!

P:S You are stronger and more capable than you think you are. You can run, lift weights do yoga, swim, and all the things you think only “skinny” “athletic” girls can do. You are not destined to be overweight and unhealthy, you can choose your own path. Your body can do amazing things. Your body is your friend. Treat it well. Don’t hate on it.

P:S:S Finding yourself is more important than that stupid boyfriend. Cut him loose and focus on things that actually enrich your life, like friendships, writing, your college classes (like actually going to them!) and other creative pursuits. He’s just no worth your effort.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) June 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Ive seen the “letter to the younger self” topic and posts on other blogs and it’s SUCH a great idea.

My letter would say: don’t stress so much over the little things, and if you think you’re busy now and ‘dont have time’ for things now…just wait til you have kids and you will know what busy really means :)

Erika June 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

@Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga):
    Averie, I’m with you (although I don’t have any beautiful Skylar’s running around) I have found time after time that the things I have stressed about in the past, weren’t so bad after all.

Blondy Magee June 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

I would tell myself to keep living in the mountains instead of moving to the city. My life would be totally different but I think my family and I would be a little bit happier.

lynn @ the actor's diet June 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

i’d probably tell myself to stop stuffing my emotions with food!

Lauren C. @ FocusedToBeFit June 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

I am craving a veggie burger and pickles now!!!!

Emily @ Savory and Savage June 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

I would tell my younger self to stop being so scared of failing and just go for it.

Tina June 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm
    Casey June 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

8-10 years ago…My letter would say get out more and don’t worry about the people that really don’t matter. Oh! And stop being so shy! :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat June 1, 2011 at 11:18 am

I would tell myself to take more time for me! I always felt so busy in junior high and high school because of school, extra-curriculars, sports, and work. Needless to say, I didn’t enjoy most of it and got burned out really easily. Instead, I think I should have done more stuff that I wanted to do, and not what my friends or parents wanted me to do.

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad June 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

Do what YOU want to do, now what other people are doing OR what other people are telling you to do. And travel. Definitely travel :)

Parita @ myinnershakti June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Love your letter to yourself! Thanks for sharing!

I think about what I would tell my 20 year old self all the time. I think the biggest thing would be to enjoy life and not stress so much about the future. Try to do the best you can today…one day at a time. I would also tell the younger Parita to always take the big (long-term) picture on health. There are no short term fixes. Being healthy take a lot of hard work, but you can make it fun and it will be worth the while!

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

I would tell myself to sign up for a sports team or activity (other than cheerleading). It’s much easier to STAY active than GET active!

Erika June 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

Take a deep breath and appreciate where you are and what you are doing.
    Oh and 3 drinks is your limit ;)

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Stop stressing about high school, value your friendships above anything else, and don’t fight so much with your mother!

Crista June 1, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Um I believe 8 years ago in college I was afraid of and also in love with the local ice cream flavor cappuccino chunky chocolate. It was heaven! I wish I had some right now….

as always, love your posts

Alyssa June 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

8 years ago my son was almost 2 and I was pregnant with my daughter. I would tell myself to stay calm; there were a whole lot of changes coming and a lot of challenges ahead. Both kids would be diagnosed with autism, we’d have financial difficulties, and times would be tough. But there would also be a lot of love and support. I’d tell myself the same thing I tell myself now: have faith. All will be well.
    I’d also say that, as crazy, exhausting, and busy as the times are, take time to enjoy them, because they DO fly by!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run June 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Ah, hindsight is 20/20 (didn’t understand that saying for way too long, haha)! It’s so weird to think back even 3-4 years and realize how differently we acted/felt/behaved.

8 years ago I would tell my mid-highschool self to embrace running – not just for soccer, becuase eventually the act of going for a run would mean much more! I’d have a LOT to say to myFreshman-year-of-college self, but that’s for another day :P

jen veak June 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm

of course ice cream never gets old :) My hubby had a bad day yesterday, so I baked him some brownies…he got home right when they came out of the oven…in his hands was a pint of vanilla DQ ice cream…WHAT A GREAT NIGHT!

Paige June 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow what a question! Hmm I’d probably tell myself not to party so hard and be easiy influenced/pressures by others…

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I wrote a letter to myself at 18 a few months ago. I would tell myself not to conform to what others thought, to stay true with my decisions, and that everything works out in the end!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) June 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I was a kind of “depressed” (only used in quotations because I’ve studied psychology and am careful how I use these terms) for most of my teens up until college when I lightened up a little.

If I could write to my younger self, I’d tell her to not give up hope because great things are on the horizon, such as: running marathons, meeting the love of your life, learning to cook (pretty well), getting a PhD, and having a blog/journal that people actually read!

And if I could write to my future self, I would remind her to keep health and fitness a priority and make sure to show love to my man, family, and friends as much as I can!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh my gosh- soooooo many things I would say to myself 8-10 years ago. I was 10-15 pounds heavier and binging on proccessed food. Ugh. Soooooooooo glad just committing to yourself (and your health) can make such a big difference! :)
    Um, and that ice cream looks delicious!!!!! :)

lisa June 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

re: the corn — freeze it! I am always getting sick of my leftovers (fortunately, my husband eats anything), but corn is def. something that can go in the freezer till you’re less sick of it.

miriam June 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’d probably say “don’t bother with the short haircut, you won’t find a Boston salon that will make it look good” and just start growing out my hair then :) And advise myself to never start smoking because the quitting is the worst thing on the planet.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

haha this is great! I could never get sick of ice cream either ;)

I would say, go live it up, and stop studying SO much. ha!

Cindy June 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

If I were to write a letter to myself 8-10 years ago, I would tell myself 2 things. 1. Just b/c you lost 85 pounds does not mean you can STOP working out and eating healthy. It’s a lifelong journey.
    2. Break up with the guy you are with. He isn’t who you think he is and it’s going to cause a lot of heartbreak and misery until you figure that one out.

Katie (Life Discombobulated) June 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Loved your letter! What a great idea.
    I’d tell myself to LIVE IT UP – you won’t regret it when you’re older. I’d also advise myself to periodically check in with myself and ask, “Are you happy right now?” Be honest with yourself, and if the answer is “NO,” do something about it RIGHT NOW.

Megan @ On The Road Again June 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Great idea! I wish I could seriously flash back in time to actually do this.

I’d tell my 17-20ish year-old-self to buck up and take bigger risks. I’d also tell her that it’s ok to not be Kate Moss skinny, and to enjoy a real Coke once in a while. I’d tell myself to date around and not stick to the one lone guy I dated throughout my first few years at college.

Alyssa June 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I would tell myself to not be disappointed if my life doesn’t go as planned. There was nothing wrong with waiting to go to college & to still be an undergrad at the age of 23. And expecting to be married at 23 is crazy. You have to make sure you find the right person, even it takes longer than you thought. I’d also tell myself to not be so hard on myself all the time. No one is perfect, even the ones that you think are.

Meagan Likes It June 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm

10 years ago I was just graduating from high school, in the throes of an eating disorder, and falling for a boy who would destroy, not just break, my heart. I would tell her to eat something, consider going off to college single, and learn about fitness/nutrition then instead of now!

Jules June 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

wear sunscreen. and banana boat spf 8 spray tanning oil doesn’t count.

play a sport.

talk to your grandparents. ask them about their pasts. write things they say down.

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I would have told myself to wear spf, to not mull over guys who continue to hurt me emotionally, to think about what I wanted to do with life and study more in college (but not party less) and to open a savings account.

Melissa June 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I feel like you are writing that letter to me….now! I’m turning 23 this month, a year out of college, working too much so i’m not working out enough and eating a lot!! Thanks for sharing that….it was just what I needed!

Serena June 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I like to think I’m still my young self, so a letter to myslef is sort of pointless :) But I love the idea and your eats are very corn-y!

Mac June 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Don’t let boys rule your mood! When I was in high school my on-again-off-again boyfriend had total control of my everyday activities and mood. Thank goodness those days are over and since then I have not (aka the past 5 years) I have kept a certain amount of independence. Yay me :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I think I would tell myself that I have the power to change! I never believed I could actually lose weight, so I never tried until I hit university.

PamHalpert June 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Don’t waste your time, money and energy on applying to law school. It will be a lot of physical, mental and emotional turmoil that will not yield any positive results. You would be better off focusing your sights on another career path. Focus on a healthy lifestyle, ditch those bad habits you picked up during college. It is easier to do it then than years later.

Marissa June 2, 2011 at 7:56 am

Well, 8 years ago I was only 8… but I would tell myself that everything’s okay, stop stressing all the time, and enjoy the simplicity while it lasts because you have a lot of trials and tribulations ahead of you later.

Send some of that sweet summer corn my way! Yumm. My favorite summer dinner is just eating ear after ear of fresh delicious corn. So good!

Bake a Little June 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm

LOVE your letter to your younger self. Particularly a fan of not having to count calories forever. I think that’s what a lot of people fear when they are just beginning to make changes for a healthier life. Such great insight!

EmilyK June 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I would say join cross-country!!! I developed a love for running about 6 years ago as a freshman in college but I really wish I would have realized I was athletic and a runner a couple years earlier

Pixie June 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm

If I could talk to myself 10 years ago I’d say “Decide on a major BEFORE you go to college”. I completely changed my major from psychology to accounting 2 years in. Needless to say the majority of my classes ended up being electives that didn’t help me graduate. Though it’s funny now it also was costly.
    I would also tell her to breakup with that jerk she’s with and not to get engaged because she was just going to call the whole thing off. That too was costly since I waited until 2 weeks before the wedding to finally do it.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles June 4, 2011 at 2:08 am

I’d tell myself not to wait, or put things on hold for a “better” time. I will not have more free time, more money, or fewer responsibilities in the future. So, live in the moment!

Kendall June 11, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You probably already know, but your letter to your younger self is on the AOL front page! Pretty exciting stuff! I absentmindedly clicked on it and thought “Gee…this sounds oddly familiar!”

Tina June 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

@Kendall: Cool! Thanks for telling me! :)

Diana@mymarblerye June 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I would tell myself to stop thinking I’m in love with every single loser I dated! I wasted too many tears and time!