• The Last Bite Rule

June 20, 2011

Hi, friends! Happy Monday!

In case you’re just catching up on my posts from over the weekend, here they are all in one place:

It’s been a busy day around here. I’m filming a promotional video for The California Grape Commission in Harvard Square tomorrow, so I’ve been setting up posts for tomorrow since I’ll be away from my computer all day. I’m also leaving for Colorado on Thursday, so I’m trying to get everything else done (i.e. NuVal, Health, OpenSky) before then. Busy busy.

Lunch

The flavor profile of today’s lunch was instantly enhanced by using some Fresh Rosemary & Sage Herb Sea Salt from the Foodzie Tasting Box that Foodbuzz sent me awhile back. I love this stuff!

I tossed some potatoes and brussels sprouts in the herb sea salt, added a little bit of flax oil, and then roasted them in the oven. I added the roasted veggies to an arugula salad with some leftover grilled scallops from last night’s dinner. Excellent lunch!

Snack

A couple of hours later, I took a break from working to enjoy a couple of birthday cookies from Hillary and a glass of iced coffee with soy milk. It was a nice little treat and break from my computer!

Today’s Question of the Day comes from Ashley, who wants to get to the bottom of a friendly debate with her husband.

Does the Last Bite Rule apply in your family/relationship? If you’re sharing food, who gets the last bite? How do you determine who gets it? Do you ask for it? Is it rude to ask for it?

P.S. I just talked to OpenSky about offer a deal on Vermont Peanut Butter this week! I am psyched! Make sure you are following me to get the deal. It’s going to be a good one!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I always say, babe, you take it. But I really do want it :) Heh. Actually, I guess it depends on what it is. If it is dessert, he always gives it to me!!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Yum, roasted Brussel sprouts and potatoes.

Hannah June 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm

If it’s dessert, I get the last bite. Always. Then again, I’m single, so I usually get the last bite anyway ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I always offer it, but the Husband always gives it to me if I really want it. What a guy.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm

It really annoys me when we’re out to dinner or something and my brother doesn’t ask if anybody wants the last roll or whatever while we’re sitting there..so yes, always ask for the last bite!!

Amy June 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

i usually ask if he wants it..but he knows me so well that he knows im just being nice bc im gonna eat it anyway! :) so he always says no!

Chetney June 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

My husband always offers the last one or two bites, but I usually let him have it. He’s 6’9 so I always tell him he needs more nutrition :)

Cait's Plate June 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I think I always tend to take the FIRST bite and give away the last bite :)

That salad looks DELISH. I’ve always thought about brussel sprouts in salad but was worried how it’d taste. You’ve totally sold me on it!

Kelly June 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm

My husband always gives me the last bite no matter what. He’s a sweetheart though and probably the least selfish person I know.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I always like to play rock, paper, scissors for the last bite! :P

Marcia June 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I always get my hubby to eat the last bite- then I can pretend that I ate a little bit healthier and defray some of my guilt. He can handle the calories better than I can.

Melanie June 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

My boyfriend usually gives me the last bite or if it is a rather big bite he will split it into two for both of us. Sometimes I will give him the last bite if I am having a “fat day” and feel like a blob.

char @ char on a mission June 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that my husband takes the last bite. He’ll know when he shouldn’t have taken the last bite by receiving a dirty look for me, and maybe even then some. I have to be vocal if I want the last bite, since I know he won’t automatically give it to me unless I share my opinion.

This makes him sound like the bad one…but he just really loves food, so I don’t blame him haha

Amanda Jewell June 21, 2011 at 12:04 am

You’ve had one busy week! Those cookies look so cute! I hope we get to see the promo video!

Khushboo June 21, 2011 at 12:46 am

Haha I love this question and reading the responses as it’s something I always wonder too when sharing (am single so sharing would be with a friend)!! It drives me nuts when the last bite is there and both parties keep saying ‘no you have it’…If I were to take it, would that be considered ‘rude’??

EmmaClaire June 21, 2011 at 1:15 am

If I’m sharing something, I go ahead and cut it in half so there’s never that awkward “last bite” moment at the end! However, if there IS a last bite and someone offers twice and doesn’t take the bait, I’ll usually eat it!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 21, 2011 at 1:43 am

Oh my, it looks like the chocolate espresso beans may have melted/gotten smashed in their travel across the country.

Have fun shooting the video tmrw! :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 21, 2011 at 1:51 am

I usually give the last bite away…unless it’s cake :)

That salt looks AMAZING.

Alejandra @ mouthfulsandmorsels.wordpress.com June 21, 2011 at 2:04 am

I think it’s always considerate to ask if anyone else is eye-ing the last bite. Share!

Dina@DinaRuns June 21, 2011 at 5:53 am

I would ask about the last bite. Seems like the fair thing to do. Although, if it’s a dessert it may be every man for himself.

Cara June 21, 2011 at 5:59 am

If I’m at home with my family I almost always get the last bite, not sure why but they always offer so of course I accept :) However, if I am eating with my boyfriend he HAS to have the last bite, for some reason he has always been that way. Its pretty funny!

Alyssa June 21, 2011 at 6:15 am

My boyfriend and I always split the last bite…this way, no one is sitting there longing while the other chews in last-bite bliss ;)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 21, 2011 at 7:05 am

I was just reading this post again and your lunch looks amazing. I love how a bright and colorful meal can be appealing to so many of the senses.

Molly @ RDexposed June 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

It depends who likes it more! I have my certain foods that I absolutely love and will stab my boyfriend with my fork for. If I don’t have the urge to stab him with my fork to get the last bite, well then he can have it.

Erin June 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

My lovely husband always gives me the last bite! It was how I knew he was a keeper ;)

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers June 21, 2011 at 8:45 am

We run a pretty fair operation, I’d say. We know each other well enough to have a pretty good idea of what our favorite foods are. When it’s mine, I get the last bite. When it’s his, he gets the last bite.

If it’s both our favs, though, it’s more than likely that I’ll get it if I want it. It’s good to be a lady…

Blondy Magee June 21, 2011 at 11:33 am

If you are going to Denver I hope you are stopping by Great Divide Brewery. It is right up your alley. So is Watercourse, a vegetarian restaurant.

Skinny Fat Kid June 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Skinny Fat Kid always gets the last bite! Most of the time I’m stuffed and he’s still eating but at the end of the day, I feel like since he burns way more calories and gets up at 5am to work out, he deserves that extra bite!

Carolyn June 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

My boyfriend and I must have unconsciously worked out a good system for this, because this is not something I even knew that other people worried about! If its something big like a roll, we’ll usually split it in half. But if its a dessert and we’re each taking bites, one of us gets the 2nd to last bite, and the other person gets the last bite. Simple, no? ; )

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

My husband and I always split everything right away when we get it. If there’s an uneven number he gets more because he should be eating more than me in general. Although now, the kids usually get the last bite. Unless we eat fast enough that they don’t see it!

kelsey June 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I definitely think it’s considerate when sharing to ask before taking the last of anything. And when it comes to people offering a bite of their meal to me, I refuse to take a bite unless they’ve already had some their self. I will not take the first bite of someone else’s meal.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Oh be still my heart that salad looks so yummy. I go weak in the knees for scallops. I walked by the Reagle Beagle in Brookline yesterday and they had a blackboard advertising the day’s specials, one of which was scallop ceviche. Ummm, yess please!

Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 21, 2011 at 8:56 pm

My husband always asks if I want the last bite. Sometimes I say yes and other times I say no. I agree it’s considerate to ask if anyone else wants the last bite or the last piece of something. There was a cheesy garlic bread piece on the table at my dad’s bday, all by its lonesome but I didn’t want to be the one to take it. Finally my little sister made a grab for it. We ended up splitting it :)

Aly August 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I was offered the last 2 bites. I asked if he was sure he didnt want it and he said no, so I let it let it sit there unitl I was leaving.( I was visiting him) He offered it to me again so I took it .