• It’s Thursday

June 2, 2011

Gah! This week is totally messing with me. I have no idea what day it is. I keep thinking today is Wednesday, and I almost forgot about my date to drink beer with some new blog buddies tonight. Wouldn’t that have been tragic!?!

Breakfast

This morning, I rocked the Overnight Oats in a Jar. It didn’t take me long to plow through my jar of Vermont Avalanche Peanut Butter, huh? In the mix: oats, Uncle Sam’s cereal, banana slices, chia seeds, and almond milk.

Last Night’s Dinner

Thanks to Real Simple, I enjoyed a fantastic dinner last night. Their recipe for Basil Spaghetti With Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes was incredibly easy to make, didn’t require a ton of ingredients, and tasted so delicious. If I ever write another book, it’ll be a cookbook with recipes like this one!

After dinner, I enjoyed some Cappuccino Chip ice cream. I’m usually not a huge ice person (I’d rather eat a cookie), but I guess I’m on an ice cream kick lately.

Three Questions Thursday

Here’s the next installment of Three Questions Thursday! I like this new feature— hope you do too!

What’s in the Almond Joy iced coffee from Marylou’s?

It’s Hawaiian Chocolate Nut iced coffee mixed with mocha, whipped cream (stirred in), and 4 spoonfuls of sugar. I order mine with milk and no sugar. It’s heavenly.

You mentioned in your book that you used a Bridal Bootcamp program to shape up for your wedding. Can you tell me which one you used?

I used this online Bridal Bootcamp training program. In early 2008, it was free, so I just downloaded the workouts from the website, but now it looks like it’s been turned into a TV show for VH1. Weird, right?

Anyway, here’s a brief summary of what I did to tone up for my wedding:

• 30 minutes upper body strength training + 30 min. cardio (1 day/week)
    • 30 minutes lower body strength training + 30 min. cardio (1 day/week)
    • 45 – 60 minutes full body strength training (2 days/week)
    • 30 – 45 minutes cardio (2 days/week)
    • Rest day (1 day/week)

Unfortunately, I don’t have the exact workouts that I used, but many of the workouts on my Workout Page were inspired by the ones from the Bridal Bootcamp.

Was your blog successful from the start or did it take a while to get popular? Do you have any tips for new bloggers?

I started my blog to keep me on track with eating well and exercising in preparation for my upcoming wedding. My blog started as a very personal, online journal, and I had no intention of anyone ever reading it. I definitely didn’t think that it would become such a huge part of my life!

Like many new bloggers, I started with just a few readers, but, over time, my audience grew. It’s taken me more than 3 years of blogging 3 times a day to get to this point.

If you’re a new blogger and would like some tips, check out these posts:

Prospective BOMF Non-Resident Orientation

Live on the South Shore and want to learn more about Back on My Feet?

Back on My Feet’s is hosting a Non-Resident Orientation TONIGHT, June 2nd at 6PM at the Greater Boston Running Club at the Derby Street Shops in Hingham. This is a great opportunity to learn more about Back on My Feet and the team at Father Bill’s in Quincy. The Greater Boston Running Club is also offering a 20% off footwear and apparel purchases made during the orientation!!

When it comes to dessert, what type of person are you? Ice cream lover? Frosting fanatic? Chocolate all the way?

leah June 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm

LOVE the spring bouquet in brown and white!!

Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted June 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Chocolate for sure! I’ll take anything but I like gooey things like brownies!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Did you give Murphy some Peanut butter too?

Tina June 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

@Cynthia (It All Changes): I did! He loved it! Mal loved it too!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’ll take chocolate AND ice cream together. The best of both worlds :) Sounds like a fun get together tonight!

Lourdes Cervantes June 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Chocolate!!!

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I LOVE brownies. Just good ol’ boxed Duncan Hines! A little frosting with oreos on top doesn’t hurt, either :)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola June 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Alright, I’m curious… what’s in the Vermont pb that makes it an avalanche?? And that Marylou coffee sounds amazing… do they just have lots of different flavored coffee every day? I want to find a place like that!

Thank you for your blogging tips too… It’s really helpful to read them as a new blogger especially from someone as accomplished as you! :)

Tina June 3, 2011 at 7:18 am

@Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola: Ground up white chocolate!!! :)

Kelly @foodiefresh June 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

How can I pick just one? Can I just say “yes” to all of your dessert choices? How about yellow cake with chocolate frosting and mint chocolate chunk ice cream. Probably the best thing ever and covers all my bases.

Tina June 3, 2011 at 7:17 am

@Kelly @foodiefresh: Ha! I;m a big fan of yellow cake + chocolate frosting. Mmm!

Pixie June 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love cake. I don’t have it in the house unless it’s a special occasion or I’ll eat the whole thing.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Holy cow- Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!!!! Ever since being pregnant with my twins though I always crave frosting (on pretty much anything). What the? I have to keep it far away from the house. ha! Love the new three question Thursday! :)

Holly @ Pink Runner June 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Those tomatoes look SO GOOD! Gooey brownies are my favorite dessert :)

Molly @ RDexposed June 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I was just saying that for having Monday off, this week is going by so slooowly.

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Do you live in VT? I noticed your PB said VT on it , and my dad’s from there. I LOVE VT! It gorgeous! Anyway, I’m an ice-cream lover!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Hmmmm this is a hard question! I love ice cream+froyo, but I often find myself craving things like pastries! Like you Tina, I guess I like the chewable desserts a liiiiiitle more. :P

Lee June 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Ice cream for sure!

Barbara June 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm

rich, gooey brownies or thick cream cheese frosting on cold cake:P

Sarah June 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for all the blogging tips! My sisters and I have been blogging since January 2011 and so far so good but we want to take it to the next level.

I am a dark chocolate person but do like to change it up every once and a while!

Abby June 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I’m an ice cream girl all the way!!
    I just wanted to say that I love your blog! You’ve helped me so much, and have inspired me to get healthy in a real way, not in a diet way. I love everything you write! I just hope you know you make a difference. :-)

Hilary June 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I do LOVE ice cream….but I have such a huge sweet tooth there’s not a lot I don’t love…chocolate is ALWAYS good…especially accompanied by peanut butter. :)

BroccoliHut June 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I am all about frosting…I couldn’t care less about the cake underneath though.

Tina June 3, 2011 at 7:16 am

@BroccoliHut: Ditto!

Serena June 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm

For dessert, I usually eat a fruit, a homemade Pina Colada, or enjoy a hot drink (tea!) with a warm, just baked cookie. Yummy!

candice June 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Im chocolate all the way!! I used to be a fruity girl when it comes to shakes and ice cream and now Its chocolate! But lets throw a warm gooey cookie in it and that my friend is heaven.

Kelly June 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I love chocolate in the form of chocolate bars! Also love cookies and you can’t go wrong with donuts or brownies. I dont like chocolate pudding, ice cream, and pie though.

Nikki June 2, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I went to Marylou’s for the first time today…crack coffee! Given that, my favorite dessert as of today is Marylou’s Twix coffee! I can’t believe they’re only on the south shore. I’d pay to get them closer to Boston. Delicious!

Tina June 3, 2011 at 7:15 am

@Nikki: I’ve been meaning to try that flavor. I guess I should now! :)

L.M.G. June 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm

@Tina: I went to Marylou’s for the first time today as well after hearing you talk about them for so long! I had the iced “Girl Scout Cookie”! SO DELICIOUS. I agree that they need them closer to Boston!
    Also, thanks for the sticker Tina!

Miz June 3, 2011 at 6:28 am

(delurking to say that it took meeting you in person for me to get my misfit arse over here. love it over here)

Tina June 3, 2011 at 7:15 am

@Miz: Hi, Miz!!! Thanks for popping by! :)

Sarah June 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

Definitely ice cream! I’m not a huge dessert person, but I usually have ice cream in my freezer because its my go-to when I want a treat. That or cookies :)

Alaina June 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

I love fruity desserts. Da Vinci’s in the South End has an amazing fruit crostada. Yum. :-P

Amelia June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

I always go for the chocolate chip cookie or chocolate chip cookie bar type things or brownies or blondies or ice cream. So, I guess what I’m saying is that I just love dessert…any dessert. I didn’t used to be this way but now I savor my dessert moments. Speaking of frosting, Stop and Shop (or Giant here in DC) used to have the BEST chocolate frosting on their cupcakes! I can still smell and taste it in my head but haven’t been able to find a substitute anywhere.

Ashley June 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I love ice cream (coffee is my favorite flavor!)

You should definitely make a cookbook! =)

Nadine June 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm

The Bridal Boot Camp on VH1 was a big deal in my neck of the woods! The male trainer is the owner of a gym (that I belong to) where I live. We actually did a red carpet premiere at a local movie theatre to watch the first episode. It was a lot of fun. Those girls changed their lives in a very short period of time!

Hannah June 4, 2011 at 2:13 am

I like anything lemon, chestnut, pistachio, salted caramel, anything unique (nigella soil or tomato sorbet)… actually, any dessert. I love any dessert.