• It’s All About Attitude

June 25, 2011

Look what arrived at my house this afternoon!!

OpenSky sent me some Get Well flowers, which instantly brightened up my day. Thank you, OpenSky!

I can’t even explain how much these flowers cheered me up. I still feel pretty crappy (haha), so I haven’t left the couch much since Thursday. (My DVR is now empty.) This beautiful bouquet of flowers put the biggest smile on my face, which encouraged me to put an end to my little pity party. I got off the couch, took a shower, put on ‘real’ clothes (not sweats), and then decided to get the hell out of the house. Mal and I took Murphy for a walk around the neighborhood.

Getting out of the house was just what I needed. The fresh air and light exercise made me feel better (at least for a little while).

After our walk, I snacked on a bag of Cheddar Popchips and an Arnold Palmer, which I drank out of my new Lagunitas mason jar that my sister bought me for my birthday. I’ve been obsessed with these things ever since the post-race brunch at Whym. Best present ever!

The rest of my eats for the day were pretty colorless.

Breakfast

Breakfast was half of a toasted bagel with melted butter and a banana on the side. No iced coffee.

A couple of hours later, I ate the other half of the bagel with melted butter. I’m trying to eat small meals and snacks more frequently (instead of large meals) to help with digestion.

Lunch

Lunch was also colorless, but tasty. I had white rice with chicken and grated Parmesan sprinkled on top.

Who knew white rice tasted so delicious? I guess I forgot how much I like it. I actually don’t think I’ve eaten plain rice (other than in sushi) since high school.

I thought it would suck eating these types of foods, but my body actually craves them. All I want to eat lately are bagels, Ramen Noodles, and Popchips. It’s also sort of crazy that even the thought of some of my favorite foods, specially iced coffee and beer, gross me out. Mal cracked a beer last night and the smell alone made my stomach turn. And then this morning, he shared a sip of his iced coffee with me and it tasted awful (the horror!). Maybe my body really is telling me something.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 26, 2011 at 1:37 am

Those flowers are beautiful! And that kitty looks like my kitty named Puff! Hope you feel better soon!

Ida June 26, 2011 at 1:38 am

The flowers are lovely! White rice with butter, salt and pepper is one of my favorite comfort foods.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 26, 2011 at 1:42 am

White rice is yummy on its own! I could eat it all day long.

Hope you feel better! I have been struggling with mysterious tummy and digestive problems for several years now, searching in vain for answers. It’s so hard, I feel your pain, frustration, and embarrassment. I know there has to be an explanation out there. Drop me a line if you need any advice, I have doe so much research over the past few years that I baffle doctors with my questions and comments.

I hope you find answers soon! Good luck.

Jamie@everydaydolce June 26, 2011 at 1:51 am

I hope you feel better soon, Tina. Remember you have the unconditional love of Murphy!, your readers, and everyone else who supports and loves you. Try and think of this time as just a season. We all experience times like this. Stay strong…we know you will come out stronger in the end :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

You’re right Tina~Attitude is sooo important~I know it must be so difficult and discouraging, but perhaps there’s a really great and beautiful purpose behind all this :D Take care of yourself and stay positive girl!

Sophie @ threetimesf June 26, 2011 at 5:27 am

What beautiful flowers! I hope you get to the bottom of this and feel better soon :) Try and stay positive x

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 26, 2011 at 6:21 am

I LOVE eating rice on its own – especially basmati, it has such a delicate flavour and fluffy texture. When I order Indian food, I always get extra rice to save for lunch the next day :)

Great job on going for a walk, I know when I feel down or unwell I never want to go outside but I always feel so much better after making myself go!

Sarah@The Flying ONION June 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

Feel better!!!

Ananda June 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

Coffee and beer grossing you out?? I know you’re working through some GI issues but that sounds like pregnant.

gen June 26, 2011 at 7:54 am

Isn’t it neat how when we’re sick, our bodies know exactly what we need?
    Hope you continue to get better!!!!

katey June 26, 2011 at 8:04 am

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well Tina….rest up and I’m sure Mal will take good care of you! :-)

lauri (redheadrecipes.com) June 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

Those flowers r so pretty! And that was so thoughtful of opensky!! I’m glad they cheered you up :)

Julia June 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love this quote- the attitude does play an important role in a lot of things in life! I hope you feel better soon and are able to get more definitive answers. Feeling sick is no good especially when you don’t know what to expect and when you will feel better.

Roz June 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

The flowers are beautiful. Glad they brightened your day. The cat Murphy is trying to attack is a lookalike to my Neva! Love white rice. Rarely eat it on its own anymore, but yum!!!! Take care Tina.

Michelle June 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

I can’t remember the last time I got flowers :( Those are beautiful

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

Amen to your title! It truly is all about attitude.. that’s everything in life, though. :-)

Jaime Fong June 26, 2011 at 10:57 am

I’m glad that you are starting to feel better! Its hard to change your diet especially when its your body thats screaming at you.

Marissa June 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Bodies are smart! Mine started doing the same thing when I started refeeding from anorexia. I started craving more calorific foods, like wanting veggies sauteed in olive oil with parmesan cheese instead of salads with salsa for “dressing” (believe it or not–used to be one of my favorite meals and now the very idea of it grosses me out!) Oh, and I now want ice cream ALL THE TIME. lol…

Hilary June 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I can’t believe I’m hearing you say that the smell of iced coffee and beer is making your stomach turn! Kudos to you though for following your body’s cravings…hope things get better soon!

SheFit June 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Praying that you feel better soon! A few years ago I went through a similar situation and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. It’s definitely not fun, but know there is a huge support system out in the web for you!

Heidi (Balance Project) June 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm

As someone who has struggled with GI issues for years I found the best thing I could do was listen to what my body craved very carefully and seeing a nutritionist was a huge help! Best of luck – you’ll get through it!

Christine (The Raw Project) June 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

How sweet on the flowers! Adorable pug pics. Glad you got out today and I hope you feel better soon!

Shelley June 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Im so sorry you feel so bad hopefully you will get to the bottom of it all soon and be back to your usual healthy self. On another note i love the mug you had your lunch in, where did you get it?

Brooke @ Bittersweetb June 26, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your GI issues, that is never fun. Sometimes all it takes is getting yourself up and out of the house to put you right. Stay positive!

Amanda Jewell June 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm

What beautiful flowers! I’m so happy to hear they brightened your day a bit! Just look at that silly puppy of yours to raise your spirits a little! My furball always makes me feel better :-)

Lauren @ Running Examiner June 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I hope you start to feel better soon, Tina. Bodies are so intelligent. You’re craving exactly what you need to start healing.