• I Think I’ll Go To Boston

June 6, 2011

Apparently, everyone is visiting Boston this summer, so I thought it was time to put together a blog post about my favorite places to eat, drink, and be merry in Boston!

Boston (480x360)

Where to Stay

The Colonnade Hotel
    120 Huntington Avenue
    Boston, MA

The Colonnade Hotel is located in the Back Bay/Copley area of Boston, right on Huntington Avenue across from the Prudential, so, basically, it’s near everything. The rooms are gorgeous, Brasserie Jo (the hotel restaurant)is delicious, and there’s a pool on the roof! My reviews: The Colonnade Hotel.

2011-06-06_1256

Hotel Veritas
    1 Remington Street
    Cambridge, MA

Hotel Veritas is a 30-room independent hotel located in Harvard Square. The exterior of the hotel is a reconstruction of a car repair shop and a house built in the 1880’s. The hotel also includes a funky lounge in the lobby called the Simple Truth. It’s a great place to enjoy a glass of wine and enjoy some good conversation. My review: Hotel Veritas.

2011-06-06_1303

Since I’m from Boston, I don’t often stay in hotels, so in the Spring of 2010, I asked my blog readers for their recommendations about where to stay in Boston. Here’s a list of their recommendations: Hotel Recommendations from CNC Readers.

Where to Eat

My Favorite Restaurants

Sonsie
    327 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA

1191

I always recommend Sonsie to out-of-towners. I love it for many reasons, but my favorite is the big French doors that open onto Newbury Street— perfect for people watching! When the weather is nice, they give the restaurant a nice airy, cozy feeling. Quick tip: Ask to sit in the café area at the restaurant where you get the best people watching view and a more affordable menu. I love the flatbread pizzas!

Mike & Patty’s
    12 Church Street
    Boston, MA

2011-06-06_0910

Three words: Grilled Banana Sandwich. It will change your life. But, seriously, if you’re in the mood for a great sandwich, Mike & Patty’s is the place to go. The owners are also incredibly nice! My reviews: Mike & Patty’s

Grendel’s Den
    89 Winthrop Street
    Cambridge, MA

2011-06-06_1231

Pretty much anytime Mal and I visit Harvard Square, we pop into the Grendel’s Den for a meal or just drinks. I love pretty much everything about it— the food, selection of beer, cozy atmosphere, and the half price menu! You can’t go wrong with the Grendel’s Den. My reviews: Grendel’s Den

Additional restaurant favorites (click for my reviews): Myers & Chang, Masa, Otherside Café, and Tory Row.

My Favorite Coffee Shops

It’s no surprise that I love iced coffee— even in the dead of winter! Marylou’s (multiple locations on the South Shore) and P.S. Gourmet (South Boston) are my favorite places to get my daily caffeine fix! I also love Crema Café in Harvard Square. It’s adorable and they make a mean latte, but they don’t have all of the fun flavors of iced coffee like Marylou’s and P.S. Gourmet.

My Favorite Places to Drink Beer

I’m not a beer connoisseur by any means, but I know what I like and where to find it in the Boston area. Here are my favorite places to grab a quality brew.

2011-06-06_0906

Restaurants by Neighborhood

Boston has so many wonderful places to eat! My restaurant reviews are organized by neighborhood, so depending where you stay, you can pick and choose from the nearby options: My Restaurant Reviews.

What to Do

Boston has a ton to see and do, especially in the warmer months. I really could go on and on about all of my favorite things to do here, but here’s a list of my absolute favorites. I also included some links at the bottom, which mention even more things to do.

Fenway Park Tour
    4 Yawkey Way
    Boston, MA

2011-06-06_1308

The Fenway Park Tour is a 50-minute historic walking tour of the ballpark, guided by an official Fenway Park Tour Guide. I’m not a huge baseball fan, but I really loved this tour. It was so interesting! My review: Fenway Park Tour.

Freedom Trail

2011-06-06_1340

The Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile red-brick walking trail that leads you to 16 nationally significant historic sites, including a unique collection of museums, churches, meeting houses, burying grounds, parks, a ship, and historic markers that tell the story of the American Revolution and beyond. You can walk the Freedom Trail on your own or take a guided tour. There’s also a Freedom Trail Run for the runners! I haven’t done it yet, but it looks really cool!

Harvard Square

2011-06-06_1330

Plain and simple: Harvard Square is adorable. I love to wander around, window shop, and people watch there. Harvard Square also has hundreds of restaurants, retailers, museums, entertainment venues, bookstores, and, of course, Harvard Yard. It’s definitely worth a visit if you’re in town! My review: Harvard Square.

Top of the Hub
    800 Boylston Street
    Boston, MA

2011-06-06_1333

The Top of the Hub is a fancy-schmancy, fine dining restaurant at the top of the Prudential building in downtown Boston. It’s touristy and overpriced, but grabbing at drink at the bar is totally worth it. The views are amazing and there’s often live jazz. My review: Top of the Hub.

Skywalk Observatory
    800 Boylston Street
    Boston, MA

2011-06-06_1316

The Skywalk Observatory is Boston’s only “sky-high vantage point for sweeping 360 degree views of Greater Boston and beyond.” An audio tour is also provided detailing the city’s many points of historic and cultural interest. My review: Skywalk Observatory.

Additional favorites: Faneuil Hall, Duck Tours, Harpoon Brewery Tour, Museum of Fine Arts, Newbury Street, North End, Sam Adams Brewery Tour, and Swan Boats. More information about Boston tourism: Great Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Have you ever visited Boston? Where did you stay and eat? What are your favorite things to do and see?

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston June 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I haven’t been to Boston, but it’s one of the US cities that I would really like to visit! (along with Portland, Seattle, somewhere in Arizona with red rock… and more!)

Lauren June 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for the tips! I’ll probably head to Boston this summer at some point, and I’m looking there for grad schools.
    I need to check out Marylou’s iced coffees!

Brooke June 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I love this city! :-)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I went to Boston for the first time last year and thought it was a beautiful city. So much character.
    I ate at the Other Side Cafe too and liked the atmosphere there.

Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been to Boston once before, but it was March and very cold (at least to me). I’d like to go back and visit Harvard Square and few sights we missed as well!

Halley (Blunder Construction) June 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Sonsie always makes me laugh. The first time I went there, I felt fancy and a little out of place. I ordered butternut squash soup and it was delicious. I was just warming up to the place when I dropped my entire spoon into the soup. The waiter had to fish it out for me.

Tina June 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

@Halley (Blunder Construction): Ha! It is pretty fancy, but dining in the cafe is key! Mal and I pop in there quite a bit when the weather is nice. It’s SO much more afforable too!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

What a great resource! I have “go to Boston” on my to-do list, it just doesn’t seem to have happened yet;)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

JP LICKS. A MUST VISIT FOR EVERY TRIP THERE.

Tina June 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm
    Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Fun! I’ve never been to Bostom, but might be applying to some grad schools there!

Katy June 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I loveeee Clink @ Liberty Hotel in the summers :) Great outdoor scene

Amanda @ Eating Up June 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love Boston! I would have gone to BU if I hadn’t gotten in to the college I attend now. I just love the history of the city.

nic June 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

thanks a lot! i hope to finde some interesting stuff to see when i’m there! :) can’t wait to be in america again!

val June 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I was born and raised in Boston and this post made me smile. I live in California now and still miss Boston so much!

Sara June 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I have to say thank you because I totally discovered PS Gourmet from this blog! Love that place :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I was in Boston once on a family vacay when I was about 10. Fun trip, and I would love to go back as an adult and see the sights!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I live in NH so I’ve been to Boston several times. It’s one of my favorite cities. I just love that you can really walk everywhere. Boston Commons is beautiful this time of year too. I need to get my little self down there soon!

Amanda (ImagineAmandaJean) June 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for the great post! I’ve lived in Boston now for a year, but there is plenty left for me to check out – I always like finding new favorite places. The Publick House is my favorite go-to brew bar, I highly recommend it to anyone in the area!

ashleigh June 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I second The Otherside- I love that place! I also agree on the Harpoon and Sam Adams brew tours, lots of fun and free beer!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’ve been to Boston once — we went on a family vacation to DC, Atlantic City, Philly, NYC and Boston (it was a long trip!) — I honestly don’t remember anything about Boston — except we stayed at a nice hotel with a concierge and I thought that was so cool. I think I was 10?

Cindy June 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m so homesick right now! I want to go home so badly to see my family and the Red Sox!

My favourite thing to do besides going to Fenway, is to just take a lazy walk (or a good run) along the Charles!

Kate June 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I was in Boston last summer for a work conference.
    Stayed at the Omni which was nice. The room was small, the fitness center was well equipped, also their rewards program gives you perks even on your very first night! What more do you need when traveling alone for work.
    Walked the Freedom Trail and stopped at Faneuil Hall.
    Ate at the Summer Shack – good lobster bake especially for a price that wan’t going to break the expense report. Also Marliave – AMAZING risotto, cute hole in the wall place nestled down an alley.

Seriously fun place to visit, very walkable city, I’m just waiting for another conference to go back.

Hannah June 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I absolutely love this city. I have been living here for a year and a half now and still feel like I haven’t covered everything! I am moving in two weeks and there are so many places on my list that I want to go before I leave…many overlap with your suggestions :)

Also, my roommate is from the south shore and constantly talks about Marylou’s…I am very intrigued!!

Hope June 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thank you for posting this! I LOVE Boston. It’s definitely one of my favorite cities to visit especially in the fall! I haven’t been there in a quite a long time. My fiance has never been there. I am determined to get us there at some point. He keeps telling me that he isn’t going to like it there. I believe otherwise :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh this post makes me WANNA go to Boston now ;) I have never been, but it looks beautiful and fun!

I def would love a flatbread pizza and beautiful walks in the park!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Thanks so much for the awesome tips! My husband is interviewing for jobs right now and some are in the Boston area. If we end up there this tips will certainly come in handy! :)

Parita @ myinnershakti June 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I went to Crema Cafe for this first time this weekend! It’s such a cute place with a great sandwich selection. :)

Alyssa June 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Well, I grew up in Boston ( or Winthrop, to be precise: when you fly into Logan you basically fly right over my parents’ house, lol!), so I’m a bit biased: it’s a GREAT city!!!!!
    The last time I was there was not a happy time (my dad passed away), but before that we came in for my brother-in-law’s wedding. Our son was 2, I was pregnant with our daughter, and my in-laws had never been, so we got to do a lot of the fun, tourist-y stuff.
    When I was younger I hung out in Harvard Square a lot. (I was even part of the floor show for “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” for a while. Ah, my sordid past!) I used to love hanging out at the big Au Bon Pain across the street from Out Of Town news. Is it still there?

But if you’re there, and in the mood for Italian food, you GOTTA go to the North End!

Kendall June 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Shopping on Newbury St is a must! Mistral is another great place to eat. Prezza, Nico, and Strega in the North End are great. Walking the Charles is also beautiful. If bloggers are visiting I’m in Boston too!

lauren June 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm

we stayed at the back bay hotel – fabulous! We also enjoyed the north end & walking all over the city!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Seriously.. one of the best things abut blogging.. is getting to hear personal stories about so many different cities.. AND countries. I’ve been to Boston bunches of times.. but now I have some new eats to check out the next time I go!

sarah June 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Have you ever gone to Darwin’s in Harvard Square!? AMAZING sammies!!
    And I always suggest Mike’s Pastries because its such a classic ;)

Tina June 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@sarah: Yep! I agree. Very delicious!

katie @ KatieDid June 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I grew up north of Boston and love that city so much! I hope to move back there after I graduate. There is so much history and great food, your lucky to live so close!

The Teenage Taste June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I went to Boston a few years ago and boy, would this have been helpful! I had no idea where to go to eat and ended up settling for crappy chain restaurants. Ugh! Next time I go I am making sure to go to Mike & Patty’s. That grilled banana sandwich sounds fab! :-D

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for putting this together! I recently quit my job and am enjoying summer vacation, traveling to different cities and such. I was just thinking about driving up to Boston after I am in DC.

Shanna, Like Banana June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

My first time was this past Feb and I loved it! We went to a hotel that was once a prison (Liberty hotel) for drinks, which was awesome. Northend Italian eats were great and a coffee shop…hmm Swirl maybe?

char @ char on a mission June 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have never been to Boston, but it’s definitely somewhere I would like to see soon!!! It looks like it has so much charm!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I went to college in Boston and loved Sonsie’s and Grendel’s Den – so happy to read they are still both there and popular :)

TheMeatHouse June 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Where to buy your meat and gourmet groceries…Brookline Meat House of course! This is a great list :)

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

My bf was just in Boston this past weekend and went to many of the places you mentioned above! He loved Boston and said we definitely needed to go soon. Perfect timing for your post :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I visited Boston a couple of months ago and loved it! I really enjoyed walking around Harvard square. I’ll make sure to check out your fav coffee places next time I’m there!

Cassie June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love Bean town and Brasserie Joe is amazing!

Kristen June 6, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I LOVE BOSTON!! I hope to live there one day, but for now when I visit I love to eat at Bakers Best in Newton! I also really enjoy going whale watching, it’s and amazing experience!

Kristen June 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm

@Kristen: I forgot to mention BBC! They have really good food! :)

Amanda Jewell June 6, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I’ve always wanted to come to Boston! I applied & got in to BU for my master’s, but I accepted another school’s offer instead. I plan on applying there again this December (among other schools) for my PhD! Thanks for this guide.. I might just have to come “visit the campus” this summer ;-)

Lena June 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I was in Boston in April for the marathon. This was my first time staying in a hotel…I’ve been to Boston several times before but always stayed with friends. We ate at Sonsie, as you had recommended before. I had the cheeseburger flatbread pizza and it was so yummy! The restaurant was crowded but the food was fabulous!

Katie (Life Discombobulated) June 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Woo hoo! Thanks for this great post! I have a trip planned to Maine this summer, but will be flying into and out of Boston. I hope to check out some of these places before I depart.

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Went to Grendel’s Den when I went to Boston!! It was great… was so confused about the date though haha

Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm

If there are a lot of bloggers/readers going to Boston this summer around the same time, we should all try and arrange a blogger meet up! I would love to meet others in the area :)
    Even though I live quite near Boston, I rarely visit it. Thank you for this list, I will certainly be checking out some of these places

Molly @ RDexposed June 6, 2011 at 6:55 pm

GAH! I’m bookmarking this since I have been dying to go to Boston since I was 10 years old!

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) June 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never been to Boston, but it looks like a FUN (And Yummy) place to visit!!

Serena June 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for the tips! I might go to Boston this summer so this page is especially useful to me! =D