• Easy Ways to Sneak in Exercise

June 8, 2011

What a beautiful morning for a run! :mrgreen:

I met the Back on My Feet folks for an early morning workout at the outdoor track at the YMCA. Today, I did a lot more walking than running, but I also did a lot more talking than I usually do. Apparently, we were a chatty group this morning! Even still, we covered about three miles.

IMG_0019 (500x375) - Copy

When I got home, a tired pug face greeted me as soon as I walked in the door. (The best camera you have is the one you have on you.) I guess eating breakfast wiped him out for the day.

Breakfast

I was starving when I got home, so I threw together a quick breakfast: Sandwich Thins with sunflower butter, banana slices, and chia seeds.

I didn’t have an iced coffee with breakfast because we ran out of soy milk. A trip to Marylou’s is definitely on the agenda later this morning!

(The photo on my phone is Mal holding Murphy like a baby. It cracks me up!)

Last Night’s Dinner

We haven’t gone grocery shopping yet this week, so the food situation is pretty pathetic in our kitchen, but last night’s dinner was surprisingly amazing.

When thinking about what to cook for dinner last night, I first took stock of what we had on hand— leftover ground beef, shredded cheese, an onion— and then I brainstormed what I could make. I ended up finding a recipe online for Cheeseburger Pizza, and I had almost all of the the ingredients for it. (I didn’t have a green bell pepper and the pickles just sounded gross so I nixed them.)

The Cheeseburger Pizza tasted just like a cheeseburger! Ok, that sounded sort of dumb, but the flavor really surprised me, especially since I just winged it and didn’t expect much from the recipe. Dee-licious!

Feel Great Weight

Exercise is essential to maintaining my weight and improving my overall health, but with my busy schedule, it’s tough to fit in fitness. Sometimes hitting the gym feels like an impossible task!

I don’t want to skip out on my weight loss and fitness goals altogether, so I found a number of easy ways to fit fitness into my everyday life: 9 Easy Way to Sneak in Exercise.

2011-06-08_0733

I know this topic has been covered a number of times, but I enjoy hearing how other people fit exercise into their busy lives, so I thought you guys might too.

How do you fit exercise into your day? The more unique, the better!

P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway to win five copies of the Go Red for Women cookbook on Trading Up Downtown!

Coco June 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Deliberately park far away at the mall or at work (or wherever). If you’re shopping, DON’T go back to your car to drop off your bags–carry them around to build some guns! hehe. Also I get up and stretch periodically at work.

Jillian June 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I wish mine was more unique, but I just get up really early! 5am Monday through Friday which means my bedtime is like…9pm lol

AJ June 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Cycle to work, always take the stairs, walk everywhere and take a long-cut (time permitting). Living in a ‘walkable’ neighbourhood also helps, I never have to drive anywhere!

Ashley June 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Get up early. I’ve definitely started long runs at 4:xx am to get them done before the workday when my schedule calls for it. Also, if possible, maximize your lunch break! This happens like once a month for me, but I love hitting the gym at lunch. It makes me feel so productive!

Caroline Calcote June 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I guess mine aren’t unique, but I just try to make getting exercise as functional as possible. I always walk my kids to school. We have to go there anyway! They ride their scooters or walk, and we take the beagle, so we are all getting exercise (it’s about 1.1 mile to their school from our house). Also, I will always take my bike on any errand rather than driving if I can. I bike to the gym (3 miles each way), to the grocery (4 miles), etc. Short trips like that don’t really even take THAT much longer on a bike. I guess I use “travel” time as exercise time whenever possible.

Katie June 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm

What great timing for this post! I just started a new job 3 weeks ago and have really been struggling with this. Seriously, I haven’t run a single mile! I prefer running/working out in the mornings, but I’m already getting up at 5 am every day. By the time I make it home, I am starving and end up making dinner, usually watching one episode of SVU, then going to bed. Any tips for someone new to traditional work hours?

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I always set my clothes out the night before, I set an alarm, and I always do my exercise before anything <—-school, work, etc.

Cindy @ Paper Peonies June 10, 2011 at 6:54 am

Sometime last week (there was no way I could have done this this week with all of the humid heat here in Boston), instead of taking the T to dinner in the city, I walked three miles from Inman Square to Downtown Crossing. It felt fantastic fitting in extra exercise while checking out a route I had never walked before. Great post!

Daisy B June 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm

There are so many great restaurants downtown where I love to splurge (money and calorie wise) on the weekends. Most of them are anywhere from 4-6 miles away from my house. It’s great to get a group of friends together and walk all the way there. That way you get great exercise just in time to eat dessert!