• Cut Off

June 6, 2011

Last week, I simultaneously blogged about the the plethora of races on my calendar and complained about the high costs of race registration fees. Not even a week later, I added three (yes, THREE!) new races to my agenda:

Clearly, I have issues.

2011-06-06_1108

On the positive side, however, my race schedule for the year is complete. I am cutting myself off from registering for any more races. You guys are my witnesses. I will not registered for any more races in 2011. Of course, if a free race entry comes my way, I’m all for it! ;-)

Workout

As you probably know, I’m working with the Boston Running Center to get myself into ideal running shape for the NYC Marathon in November. In the past, I’ve struggled with some injuries due to a hip imbalance, so I’m working with a coach to deal with them. My workouts for the next few weeks involve a lot of stretching, foam rolling, and strengthening workouts.

Today’s workout started with a 10-minute warm up on the elliptical, followed by a Body Pump class where I used lighter weight on the lunge and squat tracks (as suggested by my coach).

After class, I did some tube walking and single leg squats. My right leg is quite a bit weaker since my left leg does the majority of the work when I am running, which has led to a number of my injuries. Hopefully, these extra strengthening exercises will help to even out the imbalance.

Lunch

After the gym, I came home and made lunch: a chopped Romaine salad with tomatoes, carrots, balsamic vinegar, flaxseed oil, and some falafel on top. I finished off lunch with a dark chocolate Adora disk.

Do you have any races on your calendar for this year? If so, which one(s) are you looking forward to the most?

P.S. Just in case you missed Murphy’s recap of his first 5k! He’s so proud of himself!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Wow! That’s a lot of races! I want to run 2 half marathons in the next year, but haven’t signed up for them yet. Did your running coach give you exercises to stretch out your hips? Mine have been bothering me!

Tina June 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

@chelsey @ clean eating chelsey: Just the usual stuff– pigeon pose, butterfly pose, etc. Most of the stuff he showed me was to strengthen my legs and hips.

LauraJayne June 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Your races look SO fun! I just decided that I’ll run my first marathon this year (hip-pain notwithstanding) – so I’m going to create a training calendar and then sign up for the race that’ll fit the best! Other than that, I have a half-marathon scheduled for the end of July, but nothing until then! I think I’ll need a race or two between now and then, but I’m scouting out the best deals!

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m FINALLY getting over an injury, and I’m hoping to get back into running soon! I’ve done a lot of the NYRR races in Central Park, so maybe I’ll get to see you at one of them. Are you raising money for charity for the NYC marathon, or did you get in through the lottery? I was bummed that I wasn’t chosen through the lottery.

Tina June 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

@Lee @ in the pink of condition: Yep! I already hosted a kickass bake sale to raise money for Team for Kids!

Lee @ in the pink of condition June 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

@Tina: That’s so great! I’m trying to do the 9+1 program to get guaranteed entry for the 2012 marathon. If I don’t do that, I hope to run with LLS’s Team in Training next year :-)

Sandy June 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Haven’t ‘officially’ signed up for anything since finishing my first half marathon on May 15th, but am looking at a few 5Ks through the summer (one with a friend who will run her first 5K in August!), a Duathlon on Aug 14th, another half marathon in Atlantic City on Oct 16 and possibly a 10 mile trail run exactly a week later. Oh, and throw in an 80 mile Bike to the Bay ride on Sept 24th!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

haha who doesn’t like FREE?! ;)
    Since I’m pretty much a newb (coming back to running), I’m hoping to run more often and some day do a marathon! hopefully it’ll be for great causes like for the homeless, autism, and so forth. :)

John Valenty June 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Looks like a healthy meal.

megan @ blackberries for jam June 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I just completed the Vermont City Marathon last week, and I’m already hoping to do it again next year. In the near future, I’m planning to run the Stowe 8-miler in July and the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon in Waterbury, VT in October. I am a little tempted to do another marathon in the fall, though!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Oh that is SO cool that you have a bunch of races to look forward to! I am not signed up for anything yet…but that could change. Most likely an olympic or half-ironman triathlons!

Yep, yoga can totally help strengthen those areas that support the legs.

Angela June 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

You have had one phenomenal race season so far Tina, and I bet the next ones will be just as great! I’m planning/thinking about doing another half marathon sometime this year (since they don’t involve quite as much recovery as a full), and right now I’m scoping out some races. Good luck with yours, and awesome workout! :)

Bree June 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I would love to do RnR Las Vegas, but I don’t think we can swing it this year. My goal is to do it in 2012 though!

I have a 10k next weekend, Bear Water Run ten miler in September, and am most likley going to sign up for the Monster Dash 1/2 in late October.

Good luck with all your races! It will be fun to read all the recaps :)

Emily (Comfortable Home Life) June 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

So fun that you have all your races set up for the year! I’m debating a half marathon (my first) in October. I think I just need to bite the bullet, pay the money and GO!

Tina June 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    L.M.G. June 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Did you make the falafel?? If so can you share the recipe?

Tina June 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

@L.M.G.: No, it’s store-bought, and not very good. :(

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I signed up for my first marathon this year!!!!! It’s in December so there’s still some time, but it’s still really exiting!

I can definitely see how you’d catch the race bug after a marathon. I’d love to do the same, but there really aren’t that many races around here. It’d be great to at least find a half to strive for before the marathon.

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition June 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I’m running the Walt Disney World Marathon on Jan 9, 2012. I can’t wait! It’s my first full marathon.

Elizabeth June 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Before you get cut off… Jingle Bell 5k in Somerville in December. Dressing like elves + another round of beers at Sally O’Brien’s. This is me, twisting your arm.

Tina June 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

@Elizabeth: Crap. I forgot about that one. Maybe I can get Mal to pay for my entry! ;)

Elizabeth June 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm

@Tina: Yes! Add this to your list for Santa!

Brittany June 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am running the boilermaker too!! I grew up in Utica but this is my first time going!! I am so excited, its a big deal with the community here! See ya at the finish!! :)

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm

That salad is making me drool! I love that you sliced up the lettuce, restaurant-style…makes it look that much tastier!!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Chicago Marathon in October- so excited!

Hillary June 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I don’t know that I’m ready to commit to another half marathon just get, but I’d love to run the annual 10k in Annapolis this August. The only downside? Running in Annapolis in the middle of August would be like running in a sauna!

Jay June 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm
    Tina June 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

@Jay: That’s horrible. :(

Jay June 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Yeah the poor dude. But it just shows that running long-distances is silly and shows a lack of common sense (in my op).

Tina June 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

@Jay: Cleary. We are all a bunch of morons.

char @ char on a mission June 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I swear I have the same imbalance as you, but depend on my right leg more instead. I want to sign up for a half marathon before September of this year (it’s actually one of my written down goals). But I am terribly scared to sign up for one…I’m still trying to gather up the courage!

Stephanie @ Suiresphere June 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I am already loading up my fall race calendar… So far I plan to run:
    Race for the Children 5K (Sept) – local race that will include a 1 mile fun run with our kids!, Heels and Hills and Him 10K (Sept), Water is Basic 5K (Oct), 13.1 Marathon in Dallas (Oct), DRC Half (Nov), Camellia Crossing 5K (Thanksgiving Eve) – we have challenged my husband’s ENTIRE family to participate and they can run, walk or stroll, and finally the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Half (Dec).

I just ran a night race this weekend (check my blog for a recap) and it was HOT here in Dallas! I am already looking forward to the cooler fall races.

Kristina June 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I have two races this summer: A swim/run in July and then a triathlon in August. I have been tempted to sign up for several other random races, but I really want to focus on the tri at the end of August and fear that other races will distract me.
    Also, I signed up for a slew of races this spring and couldn’t compete in any of them because of an injury. I probably wasted about $250! So, I’ve decided that taking my ego down a notch is better for the wallet.

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 7:24 pm

No races so far.. I trained for the 13.2 NYC marathon, but my tendonitis came back with reckless abandon. Cruel, cruel, world.

Stacy @ Stacy Eats June 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm

You have quite the race calendar but it sounds like lots of fun! I’m most excited for my first sprint triathlon this summer. Oh and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah half marathon.

Gretchen June 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I just signed up for my first 5k ever! It’s actually on Aug 20th at our local tomato festival, so it should be quite interesting! Best of luck on your upcoming races :)

Mindy June 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I’ve got a few – but I’m most excited for my FIRST marathon in October!

Hilary June 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

You are crazy lady! I’m doing a 10 k tomorrow, and am going to sign up for another one called the wine, dine and run….how fun does that sound?! I read that exact same issue of Health on the stepper last week! (not quite done though)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit June 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm

It is funny. I just started running last year and although I enjoy it, I have absolutely no interest in running a race. I just want to run for fun :)

Courtney June 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Did you get that sweet Baystate Marathon/Half Marathon deal? It was 50% off for about 2 hours before the deal sold out. I JUST missed it, but came home and signed up for the marathon anyway.

Did it last year and loved it. Totally low key–put on by runners, so they “get it”. And FLAT!!!

Kate June 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Hey Tina, bought your book then found your blog – love it! :) Ran the Minneapolis Half Marathon last weekend and Med City Half Marathon weekend before. Have a couple more half marathons planned this summer and a duathlon but this fall I have the Twin Cities Marathon, Mankato Half Marathon, & ING NY Marathon in 5 weeks! Not planned but it’ll be fun! First time I’ve run NY – so excited!!! Kate

Alaina June 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I’m doing my first 10k’s this year: the BAA in June and the Tuft’s in October. Very excited about both! And of course, my 5th year running the CVS 5k in Providence. :-) Oh and the Cape Cod Half Marathon in October. I love October races.

Alejandra @ mouthfulsandmorsels.wordpress.com June 7, 2011 at 3:10 am

I just completed my first Half-Marathon this past Sunday!!! It was exhilarating!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 7, 2011 at 8:21 am

Haha I think you have a racing addiction! ;) I’m hoping to sign up for a 5 or 10 K this summer!

Taylor (Delish World) June 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

I have four more races on the agenda for the rest of the year – 3 halves and a 17.75K. Your race schedule looks awesome. I’m jealous! With 2 Rock and Roll races you will get the awesome “heavy medal” which I think is a star. The more Rock and Roll races you do in a year, the more medals they give you as a reward. It’s my goal to get some of those special Rock and Roll medals!

Pam June 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I ran my first event – the Emerald by the Bay 12k in San Francisco in Februrary, & my first half marathon in April at the American River Parkway Half in Sacramento, raising funds for the American Heart Association. Next up – the inaugural NorCal Half in San Jose in September, and the Big Sur Half Marathon in November. I’m 61 – wish I’d taking up running a tad sooner – LOL!

Julia June 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I have a few upcoming races including the Harvard Pilgram 10K. Perhaps I will see you there!

kate June 8, 2011 at 12:35 am

Youll be in my neck of the woods for the Bay State Marathon!

Elana June 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I only started running a little over a year ago and now after 2 half-marathons, a 5k and a 5 miler, I’ve gone race crazy! I’m trying to hold back a little bit :)

By the way, I’d love to know–do you use some website that you’re taking a screenshot of that shows your races like that with the countdown and location?