• Can Pugs Swim?

June 16, 2011

This afternoon, Mal and I took Murphy to a nearby state park for some fresh air and exercise.

At the beginning of our hike, the pug let out a huge yawn, but, little did he know, there was going to be no shortage of excitement during his travels through the park.

Once we got past the parking lot and onto the hiking trails, we let Murphy off-leash so he could do his own thing. Most of the time this not an issue because Murphy listens to us, especially when we have treats nearby. He listens really well then.

Mal and I let Murphy lead the way while we followed behind. We really had no reason to worry about him on his own.

Mal and I chitchatted, enjoyed the scenery, and soaked in the nice weather.

And then…

Murphy fell into the lake!! I still have no idea how it happened.

Poor Murphy didn’t realize just how steep the rock was and ended up slipping into the water. Thankfully, I was pretty close by, so I grabbed his harness and fished him out. It’s a good thing pugs can swim!

Murphy looked so panicked in the water, but he was totally fine once he was on dry land. Mal and I were definitely more freaked out than he was.

Once Murphy was safe and sound, we continued hiking with our wet dog.

We kept a much closer eye on him during the second part of our hike. What a little bugger.

Good times.

Alaina June 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

Awww, too cute. I’m glad Murphy is ok though.

Rebekah @ Making Miracles June 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

What an exciting day for Murphy!! Looks like a beautiful day for a walk and glad all is well that ends well. :)

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

My dogs are Golden Retrievers, you’d think they’d love the water, but they freak out even if I put them in a little plastic kiddie pool. I don’t know what they’d do if they fell into deep water like that! Glad Murphy’s ok!

kristen (inspiredbydooce) June 17, 2011 at 8:54 am

I just learned last week that bull dogs can’t swim…(not the hard way- just by someone’s anecdote about a friend having to jump into a pool to rescue a bull dog). I’m glad pugs can :)

Katherine: Unemployed June 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

it’s a good thing murphy has a harness! are you giving a bath soon?

Amanda June 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

That’s too funny! My boyfriend and I recently took his dog on a hike, and we couldn’t keep the dog OUT of the rivers and streams.

What I also this is hilarious out this post is that you got documentation of it! Were you yelling to Mal to “snap a picture!” while fishing our Murphy? :)

megan June 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

what park is this? it’s so beautiful! i must go soon!

Lisa Letting Go June 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh my gosh…poor Murphy!! Glad he’s ok though. He was probably just hot and wanted to cool off :)

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life June 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh my goodness that must have given poor Murphy a heartattack!! Nothing like a little unexpected bath to make the day more exciting!

Bridget June 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

oh my goodess!!! I probably would of freaked out and jumped in after him haha. I’m so glad he’s ok :) He probably liked the little cool off anyways! I dont know if Bromley can swim…I think theres a doggie spa/daycare in Bosotn that has a pool…I’d love to try it out sometime, I want to know :)

Lauren June 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

Aww poor Murphy! I would freak out if my dog fell in the water — mainly because I know he wouldn’t jump in there willingly. (He hates it!) Glad he was okay. :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

haha – my favorite part of this post is that while you were “rescuing” your dog, mal is snapping photos. a true blog family :).

Skinny Fat Kid June 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh Murphy! We had a similar situation on vacation a few weeks ago. Our lab is not a water lover. We took her on a boat ride, turned our heads for one minute and she had jumped off the front of the moving boat! Thanks to the quick thinking of the Captain and Skinny Fat Kid (who still had her leash) she was back on the boat in a matter of seconds! I looked over the front of the boat to see her eyes wide and her paws swimming away! I think she had no idea it was water and was just ready to get off that moving boat!

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Poor Murphy! One of my parent’s dogs fell in their pool once. I’ll never forget that look of panic in her eyes as she was try to get out :(

Ryan @ EatSaveTravel.com June 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

Murphy really was clinging on to that rock! LOL.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) June 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

I bet Murphy slept well last night!

Cait's Plate June 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love nature walks – I just did one with my sister, her dog and my boyfriend while in Atlanta! I don’t get enough of it while back at home (not a lot of nature in the city areas of NJ and NY…ha)

kristina@beancakes June 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

awww, so cute little murphy boy!! you guys must’ve been so freaked out!! i know that my husband would’ve been ~ he’s such a helicopter parent! happy friday tina ;)
    xo~ kristina

hallie June 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Where is that?? I want to take my dog!

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda June 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

That hiking trail is beautiful! Poor Murphy though! He looks so afraid in the water!

Manon June 17, 2011 at 10:33 am

OMG! Poor pug! So glad he was ok…I bet he was scared to death!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 17, 2011 at 10:36 am

Aww… poor Murphy!! I definitely would have freaked out! That trail looks great, wish there were more of those around here!!

heather June 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

i’m glad murphy’s ok! does he like water regularly (when he’s not falling into it)?

i have a puggle named charlie & he hates water – he even walks around puddles on the sidewalk! most people don’t realize how high he can jump, so we were at a BBQ & someone threw his tennis ball into an above ground pool. charlie jumped straight up over the ledge & landed in the water – he was so shocked! but we got him out & he was fine after that :)

Alyssa June 17, 2011 at 10:46 am

Poor little guy! (And poor mom & dad!) Sounds like it was a fun day, in spite of the accidental dunking.
    When our dog was a pup we went out for a hike and found a little swimming hole. It was really shallow; I could stand in the middle of it. But our pup is a corgi mix, and she kept trying to get to me to herd me back in. Finally she just jumped in and started swimming by instinct. She was panicked at first, but then her expression changed as she realized how much fun it was. Then she refused to leave, lol! It was very cute.

Katie @ peacebeme June 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

I had to ‘lifeguard’ my basset hound once when he almost drowned in a lake. He had the same panicked look on his face! I do think it’s important for people to know that all dogs can’t swim!

Roz June 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

Awww….poor little Murphy! And poor you. Glad it all ended well.

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad June 17, 2011 at 11:05 am

Oh no! Poor Murphy! Thank goodness you were close by.

mary (what's cookin with mary) June 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

What a beautiful place to hike! Poor Murph.. such a sad little pug face when he was in the water :l

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food June 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

What a nice day!

Phew! I’m glad Murph is okay! :-D

Vicki June 17, 2011 at 11:20 am

Where was that? So beautiful & interesting!! I want to go too! :)

Alyssa June 17, 2011 at 11:23 am

Aww, poor Murphy!! I’m glad he’s okay though!

michele June 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

Poor little guy!! Glad you guys were close by! He looks happy afterwards.

Amy June 17, 2011 at 11:38 am

Awww, poor little guy, glad he’s ok! That totally made me LOL though because my dogs have done that before too. Silly pups!

Beth (Well Ill Be) June 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

I know yall were scared at the time and I’m glad he’s ok but this is just too funny! Silly Murphy!

Daisey June 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Okay, he looked pretty freaked out to me!! Poor dog. Hope he had a better day. Sucks when that happens. ;)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm

haha glad he is OKAY!!

Wendy Irene June 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

What beautiful nature pictures! Nature is so healing.

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh my goodness! I bet your mama radar went nuts when that happened. Are there any breeds of dog that can’t swim? Poor guy! Glad he was happy afterward :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I’m sure Murphy would love swimming if it wasn’t so unexpected. How mean of that rock to throw him in the lake. ;-)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Gahh, that is super scary-I would be so freaked out if my puppy fell from a big rock into a lake! I’m glad lil m is okay. :-)

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 18, 2011 at 3:23 am

Very pretty hike! That happened to me with my Golden Retriever a few years ago- she fell into a swimming hole in a creek up in the mountains and I had to jump in after her to guide her to a shallow area. It scared the bejeezus out of me, but she was fine. :) Glad that your little guy was okay.

Laura @ Special Treats of Laura's Life June 18, 2011 at 8:29 am

How scary! We actually took one of our pugs to swim b/c my husband wanted to see if he could…haha…he did! I don’t think he loved it though. Happy Belated Birthday to Murphy!!!! One of our sweet pugs turns 3 at the end of this month and we will be sure to celebrate it. :)

Brataloid June 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Oh my! So glad everyone is ok. My pug Tater loves to swim, but I usually make him wear a life jacket and sometimes I have to pull up gently on his tail if he hasn’t been in a while to remind him of the right posture :)