• Beer Gods

June 1, 2011

The beer gods were looking down on me last week!

beersign_web

My good friends, Blain and Jaime, are getting married in a couple of weeks in Ballston Spa, New York. Of course, Mal and I will be there will bells on to celebrate their big day. The wedding isn’t scheduled to start until the early evening on Saturday, so Mal and I planned to visit a couple of breweries in Western Massachusetts on our drive out to the wedding.

Well, our plans changed last week when Blain sent me a very important tweet:

2011-06-01_0744

Saratoga Brewfest?! It sounded like the perfect way to spend our Saturday afternoon. Thirty seconds later, I was clicking around the website looking for more information about the event.

2011-06-01_0739

While searching around the Saratoga Brewfest website, I stumbled upon a familiar name: A.J. Bodden. A.J. is one of the co-owners of Saratoga Festivals, and he handles the registration, marketing, and other beer-related questions for the Brewfest. He also went to college with me, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to inquire about Press Passes to the event. I mean, it’s my job to cover events like this, especially beer festivals!

A.J. was more than happy to give me a couple of Press Passes. I’m so glad that I asked! In return, I’m going to write a couple of posts on CNC about the Saratoga Brewfest. It’s a win-win in my book.

Here’s a photo of A.J. (left) and Garth, the other co-owner. They asked me to share their contact info (aj@saratogabrewfest.com and garth@saratogabrewfest.com), so feel free to reach out to them if you have any questions about the event. They also host an Octobeerfest in the fall!

garth_aj_beer_web

Ok, so now that you know my whole beer gods story, let me tell you what the Saratago Brewfest is all about!

What: Saratoga Brewfest 2011
    When: Saturday, June 18, 2011
    Location: Ellms Family Farm, 448 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY

An opportunity to enjoy over 100 different beers from 40 plus breweries, a Belgian Style beer tent, live music by The Rodeo Barons and Tribal Revival, delicious food from local eateries and a wide variety of vendors all in a beautiful setting on one of Saratoga County’s most picturesque family farms.

Obviously, I am super excited about this event. If you’re in the area and plan to go, please drop me an email. I’d love to meet up!

Kristin June 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I went to the 1st brewfest last year in Saratoga and it was amazing! what luck you have heading there the same weekend. you will have such a great time!

Tina June 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

@Kristin: YAY! I can’t wait!

Corey @the runner's cookie June 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

So cool! I grew up about 15 min. away from Ballston Spa! Saratoga is awesome – you will LOVE it. Make sure you walk around the downtown and check out the race track while you’re there if you get a chance. It’s such a cute little city.

Angela June 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Sounds like just the place for you Tina!! I’m not a big beer drinker, but i know my beer drinking friends would love this. I can’t wait to hear how it goes! :)

Alison June 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I went to Skidmore in Saratoga Springs and still crave Putnam Street Deli sandwiches. If you have a chance to get one, definitely take it! Also Bailey’s Cafe – fondu. Yum.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

okay cool! What a fun event to spend time with good friends :)

Krissie J June 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hooray for brewfests! They are about to start Philly Beer Week (Jun 3-12) and I couldn’t be more excited! I’ll have to add the Saratoga Brewfest on the list of places/events in NY to go to. Looks awesome!

Hope June 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

That event looks like it’s going to be SO much fun! I love trying out new beers :)

Blain Smith June 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

That’s sweet! Glad you took advantage to go! Better save room for the 4-hour open bar at the wedding though. ;-)

Tina June 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

@Blain Smith: Ooooh, boy!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

How cool! I’ll be running a marathon that day so have a few extra beers for me — I’ll be having plenty once the race is over too!

Tina June 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

@Holly @ The Runny Egg: Wahoo! Good luck!!!!

TheMeatHouse June 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Wow that looks awesome! Stop into the Saratoga Spring Meat House while you’re there to get some burgers to go with your beer :)

Jen @ Jen is Green June 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I considered going, but there are a million things going on that same day around here! How long are you going to be in Saratoga? I’m about 40 minutes from there…could possibly meet up at some point? :-)

Tina June 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

@Jen @ Jen is Green: Just for the day. :(

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I love brew fests. The people pouring are always so nice!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

haha that’s so funny how there’s BEER this way, that way, the other way…

Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. June 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

One word: JEALOUS!

Amanda June 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m so jealous! That looks like sun a fun event. I miss summers in the ADKS. We used to go to Saratoga all the time for concerts. Have so much fun!!

Kelly @foodiefresh June 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

What a great idea to ask for press passes! I’m totally going to do that at the next Octoberfest in Charlotte. If you find youself in NC the last weekend in September, you should definitely come. It will be my fourth year attending and it’s so much fun!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh that sounds like fun! Saratago is a little far from me (2+ hrs) for a beerfest..too bad!

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Neat! Maybe I should start throwing the words “press passes” around more often… :D

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life June 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Sounds like fun…if I liked beer! Y’all have fun for me us non-beer-drinkers. ;-)

Danielle June 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That sounds so fun. Enjoy!

Heather June 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Beer fests are a blast! You should get one of those pretzels necklaces so you can snack on something while you sample the beers. LOL, I learned that the hard way, first beer fest I ever went to I was throwing stuff and giggling and my boyfriend had to go chase everything down. Then I fell on my butt and a lot of people laughed. Hot damn if it wasn’t a great time though!

katie June 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

if you have time you should definitely go to martha’s for soft serve up in lake george – a local classic!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) June 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

how fun!!!

beer, festival, fun, friends, new friends, summertime, outdoors…perfection!

melissa (fitnessnyc) June 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I wish I would be home for this event. I am from Saratoga Springs, so I highly recommend you check out downtown ‘toga. It’s really pretty in the summer and there are lots of great restaurants and bars! Let me know if you need any recommendations! Saratoga State Park would be a great place to run!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life June 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

How fun! Can’t beat beet and friends.

SquatLikeALady June 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That looks lie it’s going to be so much fun!! And its RIGHT up your alley. I am jealous!! :)

Lauren June 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love Saratoga. The brewfest sounds like so much fun! I look forward to reading your recap.

Pamela June 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

You might have one of the best jobs ever! :)

Shannon June 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

how fun! can i catch a ride home? lol :)

Stella June 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Wow sounds like fun! I love going to weddings! Anyone who is getting married or is going to a wedding should check out the great eversave.com deal there is right now! http://www.eversave.com/boston/french-bridals

I was shocked to see the great deals!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Free beer for writing articles?? That sounds like a good deal to me! I’m sure you’re going to enjoy yourself ;)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

What a great deal! Please have so so much fun :D

Manon June 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Me=JEALOUS! I love beer.

Alaina June 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I have a very, very good friend from college who is from Ballston Spa. I’ve been there once. :-) I wouldn’t be surprised if my friend Matt was there; I think he writes for a paper in Saratoga. :-)

Have a great time!!

Cait's Plate June 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

oh my gosh – i wish we still lived in that area because my boyfriend would FLIP over that event! have so much fun – can’t wait to read the recap!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Wow, this sounds SO fun!

Ali (food, fitness, fashion) June 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

That looks like such a fun event! Anything including beer is a-okay in my opinion. Fun way to kick of a wedding celebration! :)

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Beer festivals = one of my favorite things about summer in NYC!

Sarah June 1, 2011 at 5:15 pm

One of my best friends from college lives in Saratoga. I’ll be letting her know I’m planning a visit that weekend!!! Beer Gods abound!

Cristina L June 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I live very close to Saratoga Springs, I will be there that day for a friend’s party. I would love to meet up!

Mandy June 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

If Ommegang is there make sure you try the Gnomegang. My BF and I just went to the brewery today, which is in Cooperstown, NY. Quite possibly the best beer I’ve ever had. I think you would really enjoy it!

Amy June 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I live about 20 minutes from saratoga and my friends have talked about going to the saratoga brew fest! Saratoga is the summer time place to be!! how exciting!!! My husband i may or may not go!!

Hannah June 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Gotta love the beer gods!

whitney June 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Sounds like the best weekend a girl could ask for :)

MB June 1, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’m from half an hour away from Saratoga – such a great downtown! Definitely have to check out Putnam Market, and Ravenous is a cute little crepe place (and has gotten renowned reviews, although it’s a bit pricey). There are also great bakeries, frozen yogurt places (the only ones in upstate NY pretty much), and, I don’t know the name, but a great Italian bakery with gelato! Irish Times is a GREAT Irish pub. Enjoy – shouldn’t be too hectic since the racetrack isn’t open – come back in August and it’s the land of no-parking-spots-because-of-all-the-Ferrari’s-and-Rolls-Royce’s!

Emily June 2, 2011 at 8:38 am

@MB: Ravenous is awesome. I went there for my birthday several years ago (in the middle of a snow storm). The fries are to die for.

Molly @ RDexposed June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am

That’s the perk of traveling-local breweries!

de June 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

We were just talking about that the other day! We may be there… Love ‘toga in the summer time!

Bridget June 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

If I wasn’t headed to the Vineyard that day I bet I would have NO trouble convincing Brian to go!! Maybe we’ll have to look into that Oktoberfest?? ;)

Emily June 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

Eeee! I got so excited when I read this! I grew up in Saratoga County, NY and still have good friends living in Ballston Spa (or B Spa, as we oh-so-cool kids called it). I wish I could be home for Brewfest, alas I am marooned in Tulsa, Oklahoma (which is a lovely place). Have fun, though! I miss the mild summers and all around gorgeousness of home. Have you ever been to the race track at Saratoga? The summer races don’t start until mid July, but it’s definitely worth the trip!

Melissa June 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I live just north of Saratoga in Glens Falls. There are a few great breweries here too if you get the time. Check out Davidson Brothers and Cooper’s Cave :)