• At Least I Got Out of the House

June 28, 2011

I can’t say that I feel any better, but at least I got out of the house today! I mean, there’s only so much crying you can do! ;-)

I successfully made it to Whole Foods this morning! Wahoo! Baby steps.

At Whole Foods, I bought some intestine-friendly goodies: gluten-free bread and pasta, bananas, and a couple of probiotic Kombucha drinks. (I know it takes awhile for probiotics to work, but I figured they couldn’t hurt. Plus, I was thirsty!)

Marie invited me over her townhouse to sit by the pool, so I brought my groceries with me to make a quick lunch when I arrived. I started with two slices of gluten-free toast with peanut butter, and then later ate a banana with a little more peanut butter spread on it. This meal didn’t really agree with me. Maybe it was the peanut butter?

IMG_0006 (375x500)IMG_0011 (500x375)

Once I had some food in my stomach, Marie and I hit the pool. (Thankfully, the bathroom was close by!)

We chatted, read magazines, and relaxed in the sunshine. Our nice, little afternoon helped take my mind off being sick— at lease for a little awhile.

(Runner’s World is helping to keep me positive and motivated. If I can’t run, at least I can read about it! I’m already plotting my glorious return!)

For dinner, I whipped up some gluten-free pasta to which I added a little bit of butter and grated Parmesan. The gluten-free pasta actually tasted much better than I expected. It was a lot chewier than regular pasta. I liked it.

Relaxing (hopefully) for the rest of the evening! Good night!

Kim K June 29, 2011 at 9:46 am

So happy to hear you were able to sneak out and get some sunshine! Udis products are amazing!!! and i’m thinking maybe the fat in the peanut butter didnt agree with you – actually my GI doctor told me to stay away from nuts when i have a flare, so it could be that?

Tina June 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm

@Kim K: Good to know! Thanks!

Dori June 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm

@Tina: Nuts are also very high in fiber, although it is digested easier in butter form. But definitely worth considering.

Ashley June 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

I have Crohn’s, and I’ve noticed that my stomach doesn’t do well with bananas that haven’t ripened yet (still a little green). Just a thought. :)

Jg June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

The best source for probiotics is yogurt. But be mindful of which greek yogurt you choose because some are lacking in the live culture department. Chobani is usually pretty good as is Siggi’s. But Fage does not have the 6 live cultures that really help your tummy.

Also, Culturelle makes a very good probiotic supplement. Be sure to store in the fridge for maximum potency.

I’d also lay off the pop chips and other packaged goods that are high in sodium…they will just add to the bloat you are already probably feeling.

Marissa June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

Yeah, nuts and nut butters seem to be really hard on my stomach, so that was probably it. Just a heads up in case you don’t know, they sell gluten-free oats now too! I know how much you love your oatmeal :)

Dori June 29, 2011 at 11:21 am

@Marissa: Technically all oats are gluten free. What mostly differentiates ones that are marketed that way is the fact that they are not made in a factory with gluten items present.

Lisa June 29, 2011 at 10:22 am

glad you got out of the house! :-) going to whole foods always makes me feel better!

Wendy June 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hi Tina
    Sending you good thoughts from the west (Winnipeg, Manitoba). Just received your book in the mail. Cannot wait to read it!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yay for sunshine! Good idea to read Runner’s World to remain motivated. It’s a great issue!

Hilary June 29, 2011 at 10:57 am

Oooh….that pool looks GORGEOUS! Looks like a great afternoon…good way to take your mind off things.

Caroline @ The G-Spot June 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

Glad to see some sunshine had you smiling yesterday! Just a recommendation for gluten-free pasta: If you can find Tinkyada brand [http://www.tinkyada.com/ProP1.htm], then you should give it a shot. It’s my favorite by far! Make sure to rinse with cold water after boiling (this goes for all g-f pasta) to get rid of excess starch. As you said, gluten-free pasta really can be good — you just have to know how too cook it. Last thing: Consider Jarrow-Dophilus [http://www.jarrow.com/product/553/Jarro_Dophilus_FOS] for probiotics. I have Celiac disease and it seems to really help soothe some of the lingering symptoms I have as a result of my stomach still healing. Just a few thoughts! :)

Melodie June 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

Sometimes, too many grains can make matter worse. I found this out the hard way :( For example, if I have g free oats for breakfadt, I cannot eat anymore grains that day. If I eat eggs, I can have a sandwich on g free bread for lunch or g free pasta for dinner. For some reason, too many grains can give me awful digestive issues!! Also, I went through a period of healing my gut in which I could not eat bananas. I can eat them now, but they have to be VERY ripe!

Glad you were able to get to the pool and enjoy your day :)

Dori June 29, 2011 at 11:12 am

Be careful with the Kombucha. I don’t really think carbonated drinks will be the best thing for you — they cause a lot of air and gas to get trapped in your colon. I had a really bad experience with it. Best to take a good probiotic in pill form.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

I love sauceless pasta and pb on toast when I’m feeling sick, too. :( Hope you’re feeling better soon, Tina!

Courtney @ Girl In The Pink June 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Those hydrangeas are stunning! I love fresh flowers, they always brighten up my day!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm

It looks like a really fun day (aside from the upset tummy). One day at a time.

Sandra June 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hi Tina! You might want to avoid dairy while you’re at it. I have IBS (which is a cause of colitis) and dairy is off-limits!

kate June 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love kombucha, but I’ve actually heard that the acid can be really tough on your stomach and most people say that it makes them have to go to the bathroom–I wonder if that isn’t what didn’t agree with you? I know everyone has made suggestions, but have you been tested for a parasite? My fiance had a parasite last year and had very similar symptoms (he was sick for over a month!). They suck but the upside is that they are totally treatable!

Lindsay Bowen June 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’ve had a lot of intestinal issues. I found Culturelle Probiotic to be one of the best. I take it every day. You get a good dose of the live cultures and it’s not super expensive. Hope you find something that works.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Whole Foods feels like a place of refuge when you need health-filled foods. Bummer that the peanut butter didn’t agree with you- I’ve always tried to go back to PB soon after experiencing digestive issues and it always lets me know that I need to hold off. Whole Foods actually makes a really yummy yerba matte/ green tea blend that has a mild mint flavor – gives you a lil energy and is so soothing, and easy on the tummy.

Carla @ Gluten Free Recipe Box June 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Glad you were able to get out of the house! If you stay on the gluten-free diet, do not cheat at all, and watch for cross-contamination of gluten, you’ll be eating normally in no time!

@jg – Thank you for the tip on Greek yogurt! I use Greek yogurt in many of my recipes!

sue June 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

It took 6 years before I was diagnosed with celiacs. I cannot believe the bathrooms I’ve been in. Even though I am now gluten free I still am not normal. You will always get cross contaiminated but it will improve after you learn how to eat. Mid priced and fast restaurants are out. High end ones will make anything you want. They do have many options these days, especially the pizza bit not the beer. Whole foods seel a fresh gluten free pasta called rp’s and it’s very good, Also the best dry pasta I/ve found is called cornitos. You have to order it online. The natural food stores carry a lot more gluten free products than WF but it’s the best place to get meats, vegetables and fruits. Stay away from the salad bar, too much croos contamination. It really doesn’t sound like you have a gluten intolerance, though. good luck

jana June 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm

tina, if you keep eating raw fruit and veggies, you are going to have these problems girl. did you read what i wrote before? no raw fruit or veggies, no hot spicey foods either. that will put you in the bathroom and also give you pain. i know, cause i have had colitis for a very long time. when it gets really painful and won’t ease up, i get antibiotics to fix the inflamed intestines. please help yourself. jana