• A Better Day

June 26, 2011

Health-wise, today was a better day. I can’t say that I feel like my old self again, but instead of spending half of the day in the bathroom, I only spent about a third in it. It might not sound like much, but it’s progress!

Breakfast

I haven’t slept more than a couple of hours for the past several nights (I actually don’t think I’ve ever been so sleep deprived), but I finally slept for 5.5 hours straight from 4:00 – 9: 30 AM this morning. It was the most amazing sleep. You have no idea.

By the time I walked Murphy and went to the grocery store, it was almost lunch time, so my breakfast ended up being my lunch too. I had a banana, a Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tart (I had a serious craving for them), and a coffee latte Ensure drink. I’ve felt weak and woozy lately, so I bought a package of Ensure drinks to help fill in the nutritional gaps in my diet. I went with the coffee latte flavor since I’m starting to miss my daily iced coffee. The coffee latte flavor is really sweet, but drinkable.

I spent the next few hours on the couch, veggie out and watching TV. While sitting there, I repaired Murphy’s stuffed rabbit, who he destroyed last night. He pulled of both of its ears and then ate one. Mal had to reach down his throat to retrieve it.

Murphy has also eaten the nose off of “Rabbit” and ripped a hole in its back. Murphy really doesn’t take care of his toys.

Clearly, Rabbit has seen better days.

Once I sewed up Rabbit, he was good as new!

Snack

Mid-afternoon, I started to get hungry, but not enough for a meal, so I snacked on a bag of PopChips and a glass of iced tea.

A little while later, Marie texted me to see if I wanted to hang out. I still don’t trust my intestines, so I suggested a barbeque at our place. Marie liked the idea and headed over with Bella and Grady. (Dave was golfing with Mal and his friend, Chris, so they came over once they finished.)

We planned to grill out, so I swept the porch, cleaned off the chairs, and washed the table. The 25 minutes that I spent cleaning the porch was easily the highlight of my day. I didn’t feel any cramping or urgency to run to the bathroom… at all. It was the first time in weeks that I felt like a healthy person again.

I definitely had a little moment sweeping the porch. Once I am better, I will never, ever take my health for granted again. This whole thing has really made me appreciate the little things. Running is truly a gift.

Before I knew it, Marie arrived with the dogs. A little while later, the guys showed up, sweaty and hungry, so we immediately started to cook dinner. I helped Marie make Twice Baked Potatoes and Mal fired-up the grill.

I helped myself to a small cheeseburger and two servings of potatoes with ketchup. ‘Real’ food never tasted so good!

IMG_0044 (500x375)IMG_0047 (500x375)

The guys picked up a chocolate cake while they were out on a beer run, so I just couldn’t turn down a piece for dessert.

I ended up eating a small slice. Mmm! (So far it hasn’t upset my stomach!)

IMG_0051 (375x500)IMG_0056 (500x375)

After dinner, Mal put his tall friends to work!

Dave and Chris helped Mal cut back some huge, leafy branches that pretty much took over our backyard.

IMG_0061 (375x500)IMG_0063 (500x375)

Good job, guys. Thanks for the help!

Heading straight to bed! Good night!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 27, 2011 at 12:39 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better! I hope everything gets sorted out and you feel back to your old self in no time.

lynn @ the actor's diet June 27, 2011 at 12:49 am

glad to hear you’re feeling better. if you want, i know 2 women who had the same health issue who are now living with it fine. i’m sure they’d be okay with you talking with them if you’d like.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 27, 2011 at 12:56 am

That’s great that you’re feeling better! Hope this is just a passing thing and you return to normal soon. Stomach troubles are hard to figure out, there’s so many possibilities.

Dinner looks delish. I loooove those Pepperidge Farm cakes! Especially when they are still a little cold. So yum. :)

Jodie June 27, 2011 at 2:14 am

Hi Tina…
    Got your book today (sent from UK to Australia), super excited about browsing through this tonight. I am not a book reader by any means, more into health magazines but I have to say this is an exception to the rule & excited to read it.
    Hope you feel better soon! Surprisingly so many of us been through similar things, it certainly becomes so frustrating & super expensive. We should all move to NZ, I heard today that if you have private health cover, you don’t have to pay out anything! Take care :-)

Rachel @ suburbanyogini June 27, 2011 at 8:35 am

@Jodie: you should move to the UK. The weather’s awful but healthcare is free for everyone!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 27, 2011 at 2:45 am

I’m glad you are feeling better! Hopefully you will feel like your old self soon!

Kapri June 27, 2011 at 3:17 am

I almost panicked when i forgot to check your blog today!
    The little things seem so big & matter so much when you are sick, Im so happy you at least got 25 minutes of normality back(i hope i used that word correctly lol)!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 27, 2011 at 4:58 am

So glad you’re feeling better Tina :)

Have you tried peppermint or chamomile tea? I find them great for relaxing the stomach when it’s all crampy or when my digestion is all over the place.

Morgan @ OperationHotMama June 27, 2011 at 6:39 am

Hope you are back to 110% in no time at all!!

That chocolate heaven looks amazing!!

Have a great week :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope June 27, 2011 at 6:53 am

So glad today was better for you! I’m sure you’ll have your ups and downs, but remembering to take advantage of the good days will make all the difference in staying positive. :) Sounds like a wonderful dinner and that cake looks amazing!

Lauren June 27, 2011 at 7:02 am

Glad to hear you were feeling a little better today! I know I had so many “okay” days and others that were not so great, but as time went on, I had more and more of those “okay” days that eventually turned into good days! :)

Hillary June 27, 2011 at 7:22 am

So glad you’re feeling better, Tina. And how funny, Brown Sugar Pop Tarts are exactly what I used to request when I was sick. My grandmother always had a stock-pile on hand for me, just in case!

Wifey June 27, 2011 at 7:25 am

Looks like a nice afternoon. Hope you continue to keep feeling better.

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

OntarioGirl June 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better! I hope it continues to get better.
    That little white puppy looks identical to my dog only my dog is more butterscotch colour…what kind of dog is that? Mine is a schnoodle (half schnauzer, half poodle)

Christine @ Burning It Off June 27, 2011 at 7:43 am

It’s so easy to take little things like going for a run or sharing a meal with friends for granted. Your recent health issues have definitely put things in perspective.

Glad you were able to get through the meal (and dessert) without feeling sick. Hopefully, this is a sign that you’re getting better :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) June 27, 2011 at 8:07 am

Better days are ahead, Tina! Glad you are feeling slightly better. I hope you have an excellent crop of mags in your bathroom. :P

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 27, 2011 at 8:08 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better enough to enjoy some time with friends! I hope you continue to feel better. :)

gen June 27, 2011 at 8:15 am

Glad that you are feeling better!!!!

Hope June 27, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m glad that you are feeling better! :) Looks like you had a fun time with friends! Love grilling! :)

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 27, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hopefully you continue to feel better.

Lindsay June 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

SO happy you are feeling better!! Keep it up body:) And I’m so glad you fixed murphy’s bunny…we did that for our dog, Toto, he has a stuffed squirrel he’s nuts (har har) about. He sat by my chair and waited patiently as the squirrel was sewn back together:)!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 27, 2011 at 9:50 am

Glad that you had a good day :) Sounds like a fantastic bbq! Oh and I adore your gorgeous blue hydrangeas!

Dori June 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

That chocolate cake looks delicious. I hope you feel OK!

Marissa June 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

Aww, I’m sorry you’ve had to resort to the Ensures. Those things are nasty. :( My mom keeps trying to make me drink them.

I know what you mean about never taking your health for granted; I’ve felt that feeling so many times! When I was 8 years old, I got badly sick and was in the hospital for about 2 weeks with extreme nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. I remember the FIRST morning I woke up after a month of feeling absolutely awful everyday when my stomach didn’t hurt. As an 8 year old little girl, I started crying with happiness. I got out of bed by myself (for the first time in a MONTH!) and climbed onto my mom’s mattress (she had moved her bed into my room so that she could help me if I got sick in the night) and hugged her and said over and over again “It doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t hurt.” It was the best feeling in the whole world. And I know you’ll get better, too. :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine June 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi Tina! I don’t think I’ve ever commented here before- but I love your blog and have been reading it for years! Yours is one of the first blogs I started reading when I started my weight loss journey. :)
    I’m so sorry to hear about the tummy issues you’ve been having! I was in a similar situation last summer- I would get excruciating stomach aches and spent a lot of time in the bathroom… I would be doubled over after almost every meal and I couldn’t figure out what type of food was making me ill! It was everything from carrot juice to pizza to peanut butter sandwiches… I went to so many doctors and ruled out ulcers and gallstone problems. I got an x-ray done and found that my colon was impacted so I had a magnesium citrate drink and the doctor though I would be fine after that. I was fine for 2 days, and then the pain began again.
    Nothing seemed to be working and I couldn’t pay for any more tests to be done. Finally I switched doctors just to get a new perspective on the situation. First, I had a PAP smear, and my doctor asked if I’ve ever had a pelvic infection or an infection anywhere in my stomach. I didn’t think I had, but he gave me a very strong rx for penicillin (including a steroid shot in the butt!) and sent me on my way. After 11 days on the meds, I felt back to normal! It was crazy…I have had a “flare up” a few times since then but I have never been in that much pain again. I had never been so sick before that all happened either.

I’m not sure if any of this would be helpful to you- but I thought I’d share just in case you or anyone else would benefit!

Cindy June 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Tina! I hope you do get better soon–as a blog reader, I want you to know that I’m sending well wishes your way!

Margo June 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Those potatoes look delicious! Hope you continue to feel better!

Alyssa June 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I’m so glad you’re feeling better & were able to have some fun! :)

Olivia June 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I know how you feel about missing coffee in your life – a few months ago, I made the horrible discovery that I am allergic to it! I have been drinking coffee for YEARS, and it has been so difficult without it!

I hope you continue to feel better! :)

Gina S June 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

:( I am sorry to hear you are still feeling so crummy…believe me I know what you mean when you said you won’t be taking your health for granted when you feel better again. I really hope this gets resolved soon…we are thinking of you out here in the blogosphere :) hugs!!

Samantha June 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Glad you’re feeling better!

Murphy’s rabbit looks like my Lexi’s octopus. She has ripped holes in the head, and started tearing apart the legs one by one. Suzy Homemaker I am not, so once Mr. Octopus is completely destroyed, I’ll just get her a Mr. Octopus II.

Elizabeth@GenuineEfforts June 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Ensure drink: maybe to enhance the flavor and cut the sweetness consider adding instant coffee (or instand decaf is caffeine is a problem). I like to add instand coffee to recipes that require a mocha like quality.

It might taste awesome.