• 2nd Annual Saratoga Brewfest

June 19, 2011

What a fun event! The Saratoga Brewfest was the perfect way to spend a sunny Saturday afternoon.

The Saratoga Brewfest was held at a beautiful, picturesque family farm in Ballston Spa, New York. It featured over 100 different beers, a special Belgian-style beer tent, food, local venders, and live music.

And the best part about the event (besides the beer, of course): the gorgeous weather! Holy amazing! We totally lucked out, which made the beer festival all the more enjoyable. Beer + sunshine = very happy Tina! 8-)

_MG_2649 (500x333)

Mal and I arrived at the Brewfest promptly at 1:30 pm for the VIP session.

As VIP guests, we enjoy a variety of beers not available in the general session as well as an opportunity to meet and greet with a variety of brewery reps and local business owners. We also had access to private restrooms (booyah!), private seating, and live music. Plus, we received a goodie bag and a catered lunch. Pretty awesome, huh?

_MG_2617 (500x333)

Obviously, Mal and I were psyched about our VIP status!

_MG_2577 (500x333)

IMG_2620 (333x500)IMG_2629 (333x500)

At 3:00 pm, the event opened to the public, which meant that it was time to try a whole slew of beers– a number of which I had never tried or even heard of!

Clearly, I was psyched!

Over the next couple of hours, the event got more and more crowded, but there was never a long wait to sample beer. In the past, I’ve attended brewfests where I ended up waiting in lines for the majority of the event.

_MG_2647 (500x333)

This beer festival, however, was different because there were several tasting tents, positioned all over the farm, which spread out the crowds and gave people plenty of room to move around.

_MG_2707 (500x333)

And the pours of beer were massive!! The tasting glasses were 5 ounces each, so it probably took people awhile to drink them before they wanted to sample another one.

I tried a bunch of different beers from new (to me) breweries, but I didn’t end up falling in love with any specific one. However, I got to try a number of beers from my favorite breweries (Peak Organic, Victory, Dogfish Head) that I’ve never tasted before, which is always fun.

IMG_2665 (500x333)IMG_2669 (333x500)

All in all, the Saratoga Brewfest was a fabulous event! I can’t wait for next year! In fact, Mal and I are already making plans for 2012– we think it’d make a great weekend excursion with friends.

_MG_2712 (500x333)

A huge thank you to A.J. of Saratoga Festivals for hooking Mal and me up with tickets! We had such a blast!

Stephanie @The Travelling Tastebuds June 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I am not much of a beer drinker… but I’d love to attend a wine & cheese festival!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner June 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

How fun! I love tasting events like this, without them I’m so scared to try new beers or wines. This way, even if I don’t like it–no harm done, just grab the next one!

Christine @ Burning It Off June 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm

What a great way to spend your birthday (and perfect weather too!). I’ve been to a bunch of wine tasting festivals but never beer… would love to try it sometime.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm

What a super fun festival! I love outdoor festivals and things like that. SUCH a perfect way to spend summer days. Glad you guys are already thinking ahead to next year :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm

You’re looking buff, b.day girl :)

Courtney June 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I totally live there! Glad you enjoyed it!

lynn @ the actor's diet June 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

even though i feel obnoxious with my badge, VIP status is really awesome!

JessieBee June 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That looks like so much fun :-) since you are a big Dogfish Head fan, you should plan a trip to their brewery around the time of the healthy living summit! It would be a little drive from phili, but it’s right near the DE beaches… Beer+beaches+Summer = good times for all!

staceyhealthylife June 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wow you guys got hooked up. What a great event and the weather looks so nice.

Michelle C June 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Happy Birthday! That looks like a fabulous place to spend it!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

That looks like so much fun!! Hope you’re having a wonderful birthday!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) June 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love your expression in the one picture!

Sunshine always makes me a happy camper too!

Molly @ RDexposed June 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

My boyfriend is planning a city beer fest in September. I love being one of the first to find out when a new brewery has agreed to attend the event!

And the only thing to make beer+sunshine better is when it’s done with a cheese pairing!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

SO FUN!!!

I’ve only been to one ‘beer fest’, and the lines were LONG, the pours were TINY, and the beers were BORING!!

Tina June 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm
    de @ hazeleyedbetty June 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm

We are having a gorgeous weekend weather-wise, and what a way to spend your birthday! Do definitely make an excursion of Saratoga next year, it’s a great place to be in the summer!

katie @ KatieDid June 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

saratoga is one of my favorite cities. Did you get to spend any time in the downtown? The festival looks like the perfect way to enjoy a beautiful day outside, glad you had fun!

The Healthy Engineer June 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Sounds like a perfect summer day to me.

And spending a nice day on a farm sounds like fun!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What an awesome festival!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE festivals in New England, especially ones that involve beer.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm

What a fun afternoon in the sun!

Amanda@RunningOnCoffee June 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Love those little glasses. I’ve been to Saratoga Springs before (right near Ballston Spa). I love soooo many of the brewers that were there. I wonder if I can find a similar event here in NJ…

Jenn June 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I totally read that as “Saratoga Breakfast” and the first picture threw me off- lol. NOT that there is anything wrong with beer for breakfast ;)

Michelle (Chasing Chelles) June 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Looks like too much fun! I spent my Saturday drinking wine! Kindred spirits! haha

Sana June 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

What a fun way to spend your birthday!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

All those VIP perks sound amazing! How lucky for you guys! :D

Cait's Plate June 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Oh man. This looks like an awesome time. My boyfriend would DIE to go to something like this. Though he might be better off going with you – I think you’d be a better drinking partner! Haha.

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd June 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

What a fun day! Beer fests are the best. Looks like an awesome location as well.

Katie @ peacebeme June 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Love beer fests!

Hannah June 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Love your top – beautiful colour!

ananda June 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I LOVE Dogfish Head

Jennie June 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Totally Jealous! I love beer and have never found anything like this near me! You have so many things up in Boston that I need to experience!

Tiffany June 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Wow, that’s so cool! I want to go to the Brewfest next year. I went to Skidmore, so the Saratoga area is more than familiar to me. :)
    So glad you had fun!! We also love Peak Organic and Dogfish Head! I’m still more of a wine-lover, but the hub adores beer and has gotten me into it–at times. :)

Jessica June 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Sounds like a great and very well run event! And your arms look fabulous in your “excited” photo!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner June 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Hey, you were in my neck of the woods! I live in Saratoga Springs. I have never made it over to brewfest, but it looks like a fun time!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm

You look really good in purple, Tina!!

Looks like a great day to be outside :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 20, 2011 at 7:23 am

That looks like a blast!!!

Skinny Fat Kid June 20, 2011 at 8:15 am

I’m a huge beer drinker (does that sound bad??!!) and would love to attend more “beer fests”! I have been to quite a few wine festivals and tastings, but beer just has an overall different mood and environment that I think would be a bit more fun. Too bad I ALWAYS seem to be away when they’re happening in NYC!

Rosey Rebecca June 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

Funny! When I was working for the Saratogian (Saratoga Springs) newspaper last summer, I wrote a preview story about the brewfest, and communicated with AJ a lot! He’s so nice! Glad you had fun! I wanted to go SO BAD last year, but I had to work!

AJ June 20, 2011 at 9:28 am

Tina and Mal- Thank you for coming to our event. The 2nd year was even better than the first and we hope to improve it each year.
    I am SO happy you enjoyed yourselves and found value in what we provided. Your thorough review and comments are appreciated.
    It has always been our goal to provide an experience that offers a wide variety of craft and specialty beers, great food, live music in a beautiful setting (with short lines!)!
    Too funny that Rebecca from the Saratogian is on this blog…she did a great job last year.
    Oktobeerfest NY is coming up on September 17th!! German beer and food as well as fall craft seasonals, live music and vendors!!

Bree June 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Fun! I love beer fests. There is one here on Saturday I hope to get to. There are a ton of awesome breweries popping up in the Midwest lately. I see a lot of my favorites on that list in the picture. Yum!

And a belated Happy Birthday to you!

Selena June 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Woot! Dogfish Head….that’s a local Delaware brewery. I didn’t realize anyone outside of our little state had ever heard of them.