• The 29th Annual Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl

June 9, 2011

Ice cream?

Sunshine?

A new blog buddy?

Sign me up!!! :mrgreen:

This afternoon, I met Alaina downtown at City Hall Plaza for the 29th Annual Scooper Bowl to benefit the Jimmy Fund.

The Scooper Bowl is an all-you-can-eat ice cream festival, serving up ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbet from some of the nation’s leading ice cream companies.

Check out the flavors available today!

• SoCo Creamery Dirty Chocolate
    • SoCo Creamery Vanilla
    • Ciao Bella Gelato Wild Blueberry Sorbet
    • Baskin-Robbins Lucky Mint
    • Edy’s Espresso Chip
    • Ben & Jerry’s Bonnaroo Buzz
    • Ben & Jerry’s Milk and Cookies

With all of those delicious ice cream flavors, it’s no surprise that the Scooper Bowl is a very popular event in Boston. Alaina and I arrived only five minutes after it opened, and the line to purchase tickets was already enormous!

Thankfully, Alaina already had tickets, so we got right in.

The event was super crowded! It felt like a frat party at times.

Ok, well, a frat party with a ton of little kids eating ice cream. Um… yea.

Most of the lines moved quickly, so Alaina and I were able to try a bunch of different flavors. We hit up Edy’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Ciao Bella, and SoCo Creamy.

My favorite flavors of the day were Ben & Jerry’s Milk & Cookies and Bonnaroo Buzz. Holy delicious!

Super fun event! I wish I could eat ice cream for lunch everyday!

What’s your favorite kind of ice cream?

My favorite is Almond Joy, but Ben & Jerry’s Milk & Cookies is now a close second place!

The Healthy Engineer June 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I read about this or watched about it on the Travel Channel and it is a big reason why I want to go to Boston! I looovve ice cream

Sophie @ threetimesf June 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

WOW. Just wow! I need to get myself to Boston this time next year!!

Hilary June 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

WHAT?!?!?! SO jealous of this…looks so fun (and delicious). I am a sucker for anything with pb and chocolate, also a big fan of cookie dough. I used to buy this amazing light ice cream (that didn’t taste light AT ALL) made by Turkey Hill…vanilla with pb cookie dough, pb swirl and peanut brittle…..SO GOOD! But I don’t think they make it anymore! :( :(

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm

AHH this looks like so much fun! Ice cream!?! Gelato!?! Hello, delicious! My favorite gelato brand is Talenti– all of their flavors are seriously amazing! Ben and Jerry’s also holds a special place in my heart because when I was a tot, my family would frequently visit the Vermont plant. Why is all ice cream/gelato/sorbet so good?

katey June 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

If you like Peanut Butter (which I know you do!) you need to try Ben and Jerry’s Clusterfluff – Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Caramel Cluster Pieces, Marshmallow Swirls & Peanut Buttery Swirls. OH. MY. GOD! :-)

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm

@katey: Mmm! I bet I would love that!

Blondy Magee June 9, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Bonnaroo buzz is amazing! My husband and I love it. Some of the best ice cream I have ever had is from a strawberry farm outside of Miami called Burr’s. Best strawberry ice cream and strawberry milkshakes. Their strawberry jam is out of this world!

Molly @ RDexposed June 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I looove vanilla bean with caramel sauce!!!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm

what a fun event!

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad June 9, 2011 at 6:08 pm

What a fun thing to do on a super hot day!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Oh my gosh, I need to mark this on my calendar for next year! :D

My favourite is a toss up between cookie dough and mint chocolate chip.

Jay June 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

chocolate chip cookie dough, hands down!!

that seems like the best event in the world– they need to come to DC, we’re melting here!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’ve never met an ice cream I didn’t like. You could put pickles in an ice cream and I’d eat it!

Parita June 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Things like this REALLY make me wish i lived closer to the city!

My favorite is definitely Kimball Farms Coffee Orea – holy YUM!

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm

@Parita: ME TOO! I almost said the same thing. My favorite ice cream ever is Kimball’s Almond Joy. Coffee Oreo is my second fav!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Scooper bowl?? You are kidding me. That’s like a dream come true!! I’m so jealous! Hands down Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins OR Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby.

Lindsay June 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh my gosh…YUM!! I love icecream!! And especially with the hot weather you’ve been having in Boston! My faves? Always cookies and cream for flavor…just love the oreos! If I’m really going to splurge I go to Coldstone Creamery. If I’m going for lighter fair? The new fun fro-yo place in our town is a hit!

Mac June 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

That looks like the most love-hate belly ache I would ever experience! I need to find something like that in WI to go to!

lynn @ the actor's diet June 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm

this looks like the funnest event. in the world.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I am IN LOVE with Chinatown Ice Cream Factory’s black sesame ice cream!! But Mexicali Chocolate and Jeni’s Mexican Chocolate isn’t far behind.

Amanda Jewell June 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

OMG. I’d like the following sent to my house:
    SoCo Creamy Dirty Chocolate, HP Hood BoSox Brownie, Ben & Jerry’s Milk and Cookies
    Thanks
    ;-)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Mmm that event is like my dreams come true! I love Ciao Bella chocolate ice cream :)

Lauren B. June 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm

How jealous am I?? Although in reality, I don’t think it would be a great idea for me to attend b/c I would never be able to control myself at an ice cream festival! Major tummy ache and sugar coma!

My favorite would have to be Haagen Daas chocolate chip cookie dough, followed by Breyer’s cookies-n-cream as a close second.

Rebel mel @ omgawesome.net June 9, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I was gonna go, but sadly I couldn’t make it. You know how bummed out I have been? Ice cream is my favorite!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

That looks fabulous! I wish we had a festival like that here! I love FroYo.. I don’t know why but it always hits the spot more than ice cream does. Chai FroYo is the best!!

char @ char on a mission June 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Holy moly, this is something I would LOVE to go to. No holding back! My fave flavour is cotton candy…but I bet those ones you mentioned as are pretty good, too. Oh, ice-cream!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Holy crowds!! I love me some pistachio and Thrifty’s black cherry ice cream! And of course, something you can’t get in the u.s. “crema del cielo” ice cream from Argentina haha.

Tina, if you don’t mind my asking this, have you lost a good amount of weight lately? It seems as if you have! I guess it’s never a bad thing if it’s in a healthy manner! :D You’re always lookin’ beautiful.

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

@Ellie@fitforthesoul: I got weighed at the doctor’s yesterday, and lost 0.5 lbs since the last time I was there!

Lauren June 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

What a fantastic event!

Shana Powell June 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I’m a sucker for mango sorbet.

I’m surprised that coffee or cappuccino isn’t your favorite flavor! Have you tried any of the soy ice creams?

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

@Shana Powell: I’m not sure that I have, but I bet I’d like them! :)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit June 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I cream and I are such good friends it is so hard to choose just one flavour, but I really do like Moose Tracks :)

Jennie June 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm

OMG! I would love this! I am an ice cream and fro yo addict! I’m going to google to see if there is something like this by me, or else I will have to come to Boston next year to enjoy this!

Paige @Running Around Normal June 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm

That sounds like a dream event!! My favorite ice cream is and will always be cookies and creeaaam :)

Kristi June 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I love Ben and Jerry’s Late Night Snack. It’s my favorite flavor.

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

@Kristi: I want to try that!!!

Bethany June 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I don’t suppose you have seen the ‘Carrot Cake’ flavor yet? Just saw it tonight at the store and thought of you.

Tina June 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

@Bethany: No, who makes it?

Bethany June 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

@Tina: Ben & Jerry’s I am in Chapel Hill, NC so it may be a regional thing but for your sake I hope it’s not. :)

Tina June 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

@Bethany: I will definitely keep a look out for it. I’m sure I’d love it. Thanks! :)

Vanessa June 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

O my goodness! I would eat so much I would get sick!! I have never met someone who loves ice cream more than me!! I can’t really pick one flavor as my favorite but I would say it Schwans (Schwans food is awesome too) Taspberry Rumble or their Birthday Cake ice cream flavor. :)

Cassie June 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Ice cream for lunch, sign me up :)

Serena June 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

WOW! I would kill for an event like that near my house. Well, not kill, but at least give up chocolate chips, and that is saying a TON. My favorite ice cream is and always will be mint chocolate chip. Obsession :)

Nicole June 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Lately I’m obsessed with Trader Joe’s Strawberry coconut milk ice cream (and then I like to add a few Joe Joe’s to it). It’s amazing! The chocolate is also good, and I bet it’d be easy to make it into an almond joy sundae with some almonds and shredded coconut (it has a slight coconut flavor).

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Mint chocolate chip all the way!

Liza June 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Milk and Cookies is soooo delicious! So sad I missed this–I just left home in Boston back to Philly yesterday! Cookie dough is always yummy and Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked is excelleeenttt :)

Tina June 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

@Liza: I love Half Baked! It’s usually my go-to Ben & Jerry’s flavor!

emily June 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Actually, Bonaroo Buzz is my new favorite flavor!

Katie June 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oh I am going to have to say Ben and Jerry’s Pistachio ice cream is the best!!!

Hannah June 9, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Oh my gosh this KILLS me! Australia has almost no good ice cream companies or inventive flavours! *cries*

Khushboo June 10, 2011 at 2:12 am

Oh em gee why do I NOT live in Boston?? I would have dominated that festival…and subsequently my waist band would have dominated me :D! My favorite cookie is anything vanilla based (cookies n cream, choc chip cookie dough) or just plain ol’ vanilla!

Catherine@happinessafterheartache June 10, 2011 at 8:42 am

Oh my Gosh, can’t believe I’ve never heard of this event! I am obsessed with ice cream….it is a necessesity in my house for sure. Probably my husband has been keeping this information from me because he does not share my love for this dessert. Have to get to Boston for this!

Marissa June 10, 2011 at 9:17 am

Ugh! Every single time I go to the grocery store, I stare at the Ben and Jerry’s case for like ten minutes! I want to buy some so bad, but they are so ridiculously bad for you… but then I think, “Hey, I’m gaining weight and not getting enough calories, so why not?” And then I think, “… But they’re so ridiculously bad for you!” Ahh, its a mind game I play with myself! I really want to try the Milk and Cookies, Red Velvet Cake, Imagine Whirled Peace, Half-Baked, and ESPECIALLY Oatmeal Cookie Chunk!

MB June 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

I love Purple Cow frozen yogurt. It is raspberry ice cream with white and dark chocolate chips. So delicious! I knew I should have gone to the Scooper Bowl.

Rockwell June 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

Even though the last day of Scooper Bowl this year rained out, it was quite a memorable day. Soco Creamery, from the Berkshires, was there still working hard–handing out ice cream to everyone sitting at City Hall trying to keep dry. They had a donation “hat” going around, doing everything they could to raise money for the Jimmy Fund. This was a record breaking year, raising $358k. It’s amazing that thisindependent ice cream company, from little Great Barrington, MA made such an impression to all that were there. Thank you Soco! Love your Dirty Chocolate!

Sabrina June 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

ben and jerry’s milk and cookies is my ultimate FAV! I got to try it the first time in came out in the heart of ben and jerry’s Vermont :)

Alison June 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Oh, I loved this event when I lived in Boston! I always appreciated Bostonians commitment to eating ice cream…even in the dead of winter there were always plenty of people walking down Newbury Street with a cone in hand.

I’m really a vanilla with rainbow sprinkles girl (so simple and beautiful!), but if pressed I can enjoy butter pecan, rum raisin, and Cherry Garcia. I hear Ben and Jerry’s has a new Fluffernutter flavor…I may need to give that a try soon!

carol June 13, 2011 at 8:46 am

We at Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer love the Scooper Bowl and love walking around seeing everyone’s collection of cups, how many they hold stacked in the hands is a sign of a champion!