• The Zella Movement

May 26, 2011

A couple of weeks ago, the social media folks from Nordstrom contacted me about a national get-fit event at all of their stores called The Zella Movement. Customers were invited to come into Nordstrom stores for a day of fun and fitness activities. Each store offered something different— from yoga to boot camp classes.

Zella

I received this email from the Nordstrom location on the South Shore:

On Saturday, May 21st bring your friends and become Zella Zellots (enthusiasts) at an inspiring day of fitness, fashion and fun at our Nordstrom at South Shore Plaza. First up an instructor will get you moving with a free Zumba Class. Then shop for the newest activewear styles from Zella! Be sure to stop by Women’s Active anytime before May 21st to shop some great and new styles to wear to our day of fitness, fashion and fun. You won’t want to miss this event and our amazing Zella collection!

The event sounded like a lot of fun, but, unfortunately, I was out-of-town at Fitbloggin’, so I couldn’t make it. I replied to the email, saying that I wouldn’t be able to attend, but thanked Nordstrom for the invitation anyway.

I thought that would be the end of it, but the next day, I received another email in my inbox. This time, I was invited to try out Zella, and Nordstrom would give me a free pair of Zella pants and a Zella top. Free workout gear?!? Um, yes, please! I figured it didn’t hurt to at least try on some Zella gear, right?

I quickly checked out the Zella activewear online at home, but it’s hard to tell the quality of workout gear until you’re up close and personal with it. So, when I arrived at Nordstrom today, I was pleasantly surprised by what the brand had to offer.

IMG_0042 (375x500)IMG_0043 (375x500)
    IMG_0054 (500x375)IMG_0056 (375x500)

When it comes to workout gear, I always seem to compare quality and style with that of Lululemon because I am obsessed with their clothing. I’ll pretty much wear any type of fitness clothing, but I really love the Lululemon stuff. However, what I don’t love its exorbitant cost. It honestly kills me to pay $60 for a sports bra and nearly $90 for a pair of workout pants, but I know it’s cute, quality workout gear that lasts, so I do.

After spending quite a bit of time with the Zella gear today, I have to admit, it’s on par with Lululemon, but so much more affordable! Really, this stuff is adorable and not insanely expensive. It’s not cheap either, but I won’t have to visit Nordstrom three times before committing to buying a pair of pants like I do at Lululemon. (No joke, I visited Lululemon three different times to try on their Run Inspire Crops before I bought them.)

Today, I tried on five pairs of pants and two tops:

2011-05-26 001

I really liked everything that I tried on— the fit, style, fabric, and color choices were all excellent. It actually reminded me a lot of Lululemon.

For pants, I ended up choosing the ‘Live In’ Capris because I prefer exercising in shorter, more fitted bottoms over other styles. The Zella ‘Booty’ Pants and Zella ‘Soul’ Wide Leg Pants were great pants too, but they were too long for me. Nordstrom hems them for free, but I liked the capris better. I almost picked the ‘Soul’ Wide Leg Pants (for loungewear) because they were super comfortable (and cute!), but their sizing runs large, so they were just too baggy for my liking. For the top, I chose the Zella ‘Z’ Seamless Racerback Tank mostly because of the color (“Clematis Blue”), but I also liked that had a built-in shelf-bra and its length fell below the hip. (I don’t like wearing short tops when I exercise.)

Besides being stylish, I also liked that the Zella line includes a number of pieces with of fun, functional elements, such as tennis skirts with ball pockets, reversible pants, thumb holes in the long sleep tops, and zipper pulls that double as hair elastics. Cool!

2011-05-26 0012

I haven’t exercised in my new Zella gear yet, but from my first impression, I’m a fan. The designs are bright, fun, and modern, and the clothing is comfortable, breathable, and flattering. It seems like quality activewear that will hold up well, but only time, sweat, and laundering will tell.

Hope May 27, 2011 at 8:11 am

Those workout clothes look awesome! I love the colors! :) I will definitely have to check it out.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

This workout gear looks great! Thanks for the info!

Christina May 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

The clothes are so cute! I also love Lululemon but their prices are generally a bit much for my budget.

Katherine: Unemployed May 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

it looks so functional with the thumb-holes and key spots etc

Clare @ Fitting It All In May 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Ooh I’m excited to try out this brand since I never want to pay so much for LuLu!

Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes May 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I would go into the run with the thought that you’re doing a relaxed run, and if you find it in yourself to push and PR then Yay! If not you won’t be dissapointed! You’ll rock it either way :)
    I do the same exact thing at lululemon. I’ll go visit two or three times and try on the same thing just to “make sure” they are worth it. They totally are. One of my very good friends once said, “lululemon running pants are like a bra for your butt!” She is so right!
    I’d love to check out this new brand though…my wallet is not as full as it once was!
    Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Amanda May 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Tried Zella for the first time spring 2010 and have been in love ever since. It’s so stylish and comfortable and holds up really well. So glad you got to try it and scored free workout gear!

Jill in Chicago May 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m a first time commenter, and a gal in desperate need for affordable workout gear. Thanks for sharing this info — I always love having an excuse to go to Nordstrom’s!!!

Laura @ Backstage Pass May 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

The Zella gear looks great, I especially like the magenta zip-up!

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? May 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I love Zella, too, but unfortunately their clothes stop at size 16, so I can’t wear them. I dropped a little note to Nordstrom to let them know that there are lots of plus size women who are willing to spend money on workout clothes that are pretty and fun, and that I hope they’ll expand the line in the future. :)

Serena May 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm

How awesome! My mom swears by Zella gear when she works out. Most of their clothes have a neat little something to make it unique.

Jennifer V. May 27, 2011 at 11:27 pm

That orange jacket is so cute! I think I need it! I am addicted to Lulu stuff too. However, it has inspired me to start going to the gym and to take yoga. I figure I should at least exercise in my exercise gear right??

Cindy May 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I love the Zella workout clothes! And during Nordstrom’s Anniversary sale in the summer they usually have some of the collection on sale.

erica July 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i finally got some zella pants (yay for nordstrom anniversary sale!) then i was reading some reviews and a woman wrote she ruined hers by not following the care instructions…how do you wash your zella gear? i already tossed the tags and since my pants are reversible, there are no instructions printed…

ICaughtUADeliciousBass February 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Help, I purchased the Zella Trench coat and there are not any Care instructions on the item or the purchase tags. How the $#\^ are you suppose to know the best way to care for your item. Really, WTH? Is it machine washable or not?