• Run to Remember Half Marathon Recap

May 30, 2011

I never wanted a race to end so badly, but I crossed the finish line at the Run to Remember with a smile on my face.

I didn’t set a new PR, but I achieved my running goal for the year! :mrgreen:

Yesterday’s heat and humidity totally kicked my butt, but I listened to my body and walked through every water station while taking in fluids.

My knee didn’t hurt AT ALL during the race, which reminded me that running is a gift.

I didn’t run my best half marathon (I finished in 2:03:57), but there will be more races.

And more chances to PR!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Congrats, Tina! I ran my first 5K today, so can totally relate. It was SO HOT!!!

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad May 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Good for you! The heat and humidity have been brutal this weekend. I ran a 5K today and almost melted!

Kimberly May 30, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m so excited for your success. I am new to running and had to stop due to a knee injury. Physical Therapy is in my future too. Your earlier story about your knee and hip helps me stay hopeful.
    Really excited for you.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Congrats on the half, Tina. Just running a half is enough of an accomplishment… especially in the heat and humidity! Way to go!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Congratulations! Heat + humidity takes soooo much out of you right away.

Coach Brian May 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Always more races and more chances to PR! Haha. I wished you good luck in the race on your previous post, even though this report was already in my feed reader. I’m a little behind!

Christine (The Raw Project) May 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Congrats, great run! My last half couldn’t end soon enough either and sometimes just overcoming challenges and finishing are awesome enough!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama May 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Congratulations on your race. Yes, many more chances to PR. :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

wahooo you did it! Congrats :) Nice time, too!

Carol May 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love your attitude:) You are right…plenty more races and yes it is a gift to be able to run at all! Hope you have a great day!

Laurie May 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love the idea of “the race to remember”.
    I also love that your knee didn’t hurt, truly a gift.

Brittany May 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

What a great race! And what’s better than snuggling with Murphy post-race?

Amy May 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Congrats Tina!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Great job!! :) So glad that your knee didn’t bother you at all during the race!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Girl" May 30, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Congrats on a race well run! I’ll bet the humidity was killer so that is a great time. The most important thing is to end with a smile on your face and you did :-)

Mary May 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

ok. what is PR??

Tina May 31, 2011 at 9:54 am
    Hilary May 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Nicely done! Even your “non-PR” is still way faster than my time…you go girl!

Kiran May 30, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Love your positivity. Many beat themselves up way too hard for not PR’ing. Congrats Tina & Mal :)

Sarah May 30, 2011 at 8:19 pm

It was so hot and humid yesterday on that course! I was so thankful it was over not too long after the clouds broke, glad to hear you made it through and your knee held up :) Your PR will come.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Congrats Tina! Just being able to finish a half marathon is a huge accomplishment in itself. :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Congratulations Tina, you should be proud of yourself for finishing strong despite some intense heat and humid and having weathered an injury. I know how frustrating it can be when you get a lot of momentum with racing and then you have a race that isn’t your best, but it can be really motivating too!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Great job on your half today–so happy that you had no pain!

Mac May 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Congrats on the run!

Elisabeth May 30, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Congratulations, Tina! (especially since it was so warm this weekend…)

Alex May 31, 2011 at 9:03 am

This was my first Half Marathon and while the heat was brutal, it was a great crowd. Met a fellow runner around mile 9 who really helped me get through the last 4 miles (especially mile 13 where i just wanted to walk so badly – she wouldn’t let me. “We’re not going to walk the last mile!”) Congrats to everyone who ran!

Christina May 31, 2011 at 9:25 am

Congratulations! I ran this as well (my first half) and the humidity really was terrible but I had fun anyways — more so after I finished haha. :)

Lauren May 31, 2011 at 9:53 am

Nice job, Tina! I’m glad to hear that your knee didn’t bother you — that’s wonderful! You ran an awesome race, especially considering the heat!

I ran in Newport, RI yesterday, and found the combination of fog/humidity to be kind of difficult to manage, to say the least. Weather conditions definitely play a huge role in your run. I find that my runs are generally not as good in the summer, unless I wake up at 5 am :)

becca (bellebottoms) May 31, 2011 at 10:08 am

love the pyschadelic headband! so cute! Is that a bondiband??

Tina May 31, 2011 at 10:13 am
    becca (bellebottoms) May 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm

yea! thanks!! I love the “will run for wine”…it speaks to the italian in me! :)

Amber May 31, 2011 at 10:38 am

Great job! I am hoping to run to my first half this fall. You motivate me to stick to it!

Ali @ Ali Runs May 31, 2011 at 11:24 am

I ran a half on Sunday too and it was HOT!! I didn’t even come close to PR-ing, but I was okay with it. Congrats on the race! :)

Liz May 31, 2011 at 11:25 am

I didn’t set a PR either on that course. I realized I hadn’t hydrated the day before and it was hot! Speed stopped mattering once I saw people on the side of the road getting oxygen – I was just grateful to be healthy and upright!

Amanda@RunningOnCoffee May 31, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Great news that your knee didn’t hurt and while not a PR, you still ran a half marathon with an impressive time! Running in heat AND humidity sucks.

Pamela June 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Congrats on the race, Tina. I also ran the Race to Remember and found it super tough to get through because of the heat. You weren’t the only one whose butt got kicked ;)