• News to Share

May 2, 2011

Happy Monday! 8-)

I have all sorts of news to share with you guys this morning— but, first, breakfast!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana slices on one half and sunflower butter and banana slices on the other. I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk.

Ready for my news?!?

Check me out on The Fit Stop, Fitness magazine’s fitness blog!

2011-05-02_0730

The Fit Stop has a weekly feature where they highlight bloggers called “Fit Blogger We Love,” and they wanted to feature me! You can read the interview here. I also share one of my favorite smoothie recipes

Additionally, one of my articles ended up on FoxNews.com: 11 Ways to Save Money on Healthy Food. Cool, right? I had no idea! A reader actually sent me the link the other day.

2011-05-02_0728

Ok, here’s my BIG news of the day: I’m running the New York City Marathon!!!

Logo_INGNYCMarathon---BEF---Site1

So, remember when I didn’t get selected in the lottery? Well, at first, I was relieved and thought it was a sign that I shouldn’t run it. But, as the days went by, my desire to run another marathon grew and grew. I also talked to a number of runners, who said the NYC Marathon is absolutely amazing— one of the best marathons, if not THE best marathon, they’ve run. Some even said it is better than the Boston Marathon, which I can’t even fathom since it’s the greatest day of the year.

Since completing my first marathon in January, I’ve thought a lot about what I would have done differently with regard to my training and race day. Team in Training prepared me very well to tackle 26.2 miles, but their program only trains you to finish the marathon. There’s nothing wrong with that– it’s exactly what I wanted to do. Really, it was my only goal on marathon day— to cross the finish line (in one piece)– but I’m sure things would be different with another type of training plan.

Looking back at my first marathon, I know I ran a great race, but there are still a lot of questions that I can’t help but ask myself. Could I have pushed myself harder during those last few miles? Did I really need to stop and walk or could I have pushed through? Would running a second 20-miler or a 22-miler make a difference in my training? As a runner, I think about these questions all of the time, and I can’t answer them until I run another marathon, so here’s to Marathon #2! Never say never, right?

So, after not getting selected for New York City Marathon via lottery, I decided to run for charity. I’m running with Team for Kids that raises funds to provide more than 100,000 kids in low-income areas with health and fitness education. Obviously, I love helping people through running, so I’m psyched to support this organization.

As part of my team membership, I am raising money for Team for Kids, which means there is going to be a sweet Blog Bake Sale on CNC in the coming weeks. If you’d like to donate something, please drop me an email!

What’s something you said you’d never do, but you did anyway?

P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway on Trading Up Downtown to win two jars of sunflower butter!

Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine May 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

I said I would never join a sorority, but I did and those 4 years were some of the best and I made some awesome best friends!

Ada May 2, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hooray! I ran NYC this past November and absolutely LOVED it, best race ever! I will also be running it this year so hopefully we can get together beforehand:) My advice: Practice hills!

Clare @ Fitting It All In May 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

Congrats on all of your big news! I always said I’d never get Twitter…now I’m addicted!

Alyssa May 2, 2011 at 11:33 am

Look at you popping up all over the place on the Internet! It must make you feel good :) & congrats on signing up for the NYC Marathon! I’m sure you’ll great :D

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 2, 2011 at 11:34 am

I never thought I’d start my own blog and here I am ;)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 2, 2011 at 11:39 am

I said I would NEVER run a marathon….and now I have run two. The second one was AMAZING-so I am very happy for you, you will love it!!! CONGRATS on the articles as well-what a great day already for ya.

Nacho Lindsay May 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

Congrats on the marathon! I said I would never move back to my hometown… and then I fell in love with Nacho Jonny. :)

Jenny May 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Congratulations!! I think the marathon is something the envokes such enthusiasm and motivation while watching/completing that you can’t help but want to do another one :)

I said I would never eat cottage cheese and I did..does that count? Or consider being a veggie but man those greens are addicting!

Heather May 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Very cool about the marathon!

Something I said I’d never do is sign up for Twitter, but I did and now I love it!

P.S. Glad to hear Murphy is ok.

Lauren May 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

Yay, Tina! The NYC Marathon is awesome — you will love it! :)

I’m pretty disappointed right now, because I trained for the past 5 months for the NJ Marathon (which took place yesterday), and was unable to run it due to a knee strain. I’ve never not run a marathon I signed up for, but knew that I would just not be able to do it in my current state. I’m hoping to be back to my normal mileage and able to train for a different marathon soon!

So long story short, I always said I’d never sign up for a race and then not run it…but I guess I broke that vow yesterday. :( I do know that I did the right thing, though!

ellalinea May 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Great great news! It’s amazing that you can run the NY marathon and run for a good cause! :)

Noya - gluttonandstudent May 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Congrats on the awesome publications and running the NYC marathon!
    It’s so great that you’re doing it for a good cause.

I never thought I would cut meat and chicken out of my diet, but now I’m a pescetarian!

Nicci @ Nifty Eats May 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Congrats on being able to run another marathon!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life May 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I said I would never be a vegetarian or vegan, and here I am, over 6 months later a strong vegetarian with mostly vegan eating habits. Congrats on the marathon! I’m so jealous – New York is an AMAZING city!

Hillary May 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Congrats on the marathon! Very excited or you!

How is Murphy doing today??

Tina May 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

@Hillary: Better! He’s still breathing funny, but he’s almost back to his old self again!

Roz May 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Congratulations on all your big news!

rebecca lustig May 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm

congrats!! what a wonderful goal for you! :)

Katherine: Unemployed May 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

this is allegedly “THE” marathon to run

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) May 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I didn’t know that you didn’t know about your article on Fox … Just now realized that it said the article was from health.com (I sent you the link.)

I read the whole article and at the end you said (before I knew it was you) ‘my husband and I eat oats and pb like its our job and I thought… ‘That’s Tina!’ and I scrolled up and sure enough you had written the article ;)

“Ok, here’s my BIG news of the day: I’m running the New York City Marathon!!!” – Congrats Tina!!!! 8-) SO COOOOL. Just spent my Sunday cheering for my SIL running a 1/2 in OC, CA. Was my first time at a marathon/ 1/2 & the energy was so inspiring. I really enjoyed cheering for everyone. I brought her and her good friend some flowers and wished that I could bring some for everyone. Was a great experience… def looking forward to hearing more about the NYC mar :D

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 2, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Congrats on the being apart of the NY Marathon. Honestly I never thought I would ever run in any type of race and now I can’t imagine not doing one.

Danielle @ weightsandmeasures May 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Yay Tina! I am excited for you to be able to run the marathon! Random question, but did you eat one piece of toast and then the other or go back and forth between tastes?

Tina May 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm

@Danielle @ weightsandmeasures: I eat one at a time.

Lacey @ Lake Life May 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Congratulations on all of this great news!

Kelsey May 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

While I’m thrilled you’ll be supporting this awesome organization that I have run with a couple years ago, I’m kind of sad that it’s clear the charity wasn’t your first priority and that you’re using it as a way to run the NYC marathon. While I’m sure this happens all the time with other runners, it’s unfortunate for you that your journey to getting to the NYC marathon is open for everyone to see. I truly hope the mission behind Team for Kids will impact you and shift your outlook on the marathon from a competitive do-over to actually running for a cause.

Tina May 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

@Kelsey: You shouldn’t assume that I don’t care about Team for Kids. I could have easily found a different marathon to run or whole different charity all together. I picked this one because it’s a cause that I believe in and important to me. Of course, it’s a means to run the NYC Marathon, but please don’t assume it’s simply a “competitive do-over” for me.

Kate S. May 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I don’t think volunteer or charity work should ever be discounted due to a person’s motivations for doing them. I believe studies show that we rarely due anything for pure altruistic reasons. If more people ran marathons for charity, like Tina, we would have a better and healthier world!

I ran NYC a few years ago and cried the last few miles in Central Park. Perhaps it was the exhaustion, but it was also an unbelievable experience. Best wishes on your training and run Tina!

Elisabeth May 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm

@Kate S.:

I completely agree with Kate – I don’t really think it matters what Tina’s motivation is for working with Team for Kids. I think it’s awesome that she found a way to run the NYC Marathon that helps kids at the same time! Congratulations on the decision to do another marathon, Tina!

EmmaClaire May 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm

@Tina:

Liz May 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm

@Kelsey: Wow, that was a seriously pooptastic thing to say. Tina gets up at the crack of dawn to run with BOMF once a week and her only motivation to partner with a charity is to PR in NYC? You are truly obtuse.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

So exciting, congrats! I’ve always thought that if I’d run a marathon I’d want it to be NYC. I’m sure you’ll learn a lot about yourself and your potential through your training and your charity work – very cool stuff, good luck!

Krista (kristastes) May 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

The NYC marathon will be amazing! The CEO of my company is running her first marathon this year and also doing it with Team for Kids! We are a women’s fitness apparel company so maybe we could do a fundraising gig together at some point in the next few months – email me if you’d be interested!

Yoonmee@MoveLaughAloha May 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Yay for getting into the NYC Marathon! Some day I’d like to see it in person (see it, not run in it haha). My younger brother ran it a few years ago and came in somewhere around 75th place! Needless to say, I am not as fast as he is. =P

Alaina May 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yeah!! What a great cause to run for. :-) And I love running races in the fall.

I never thought that I would use Twitter and lo behold, I am now a follower. :-)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I said I would never pick up and move to New Zealand…yet here I am! Congrats, I am so excited to read about your training and race day!

Megan @ On The Road Again May 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Wow, congrats on all of the great news!

Wendy Irene May 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I am very excited for you about your feature Tina! That is wonderful :) Congrats!

steph May 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Wow, congrats!

Audrey May 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Congratulations!! I’m sure you’ll do amazing and probably PR in the marathon!

Nicole May 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

What a great charity to run for a friend of mine works for the organization and ran for them last year!

Erica @ A Healthy Habit May 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Congrats to having yourself featured on Fitness Mag’s site! Can’t wait to pick up your book!

Sarah May 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I said I’d never wear skinny jeans!!!!!!! Woops!

Lori May 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I said I’d never travel alone due to my lousy sense of direction. However, this spring break I went to Singapore and Malaysia all by myself and had a blast! Did I get lost? Sure. Did I eventually find where I needed to be. Yes. This solo trip taught me that I can entertain myself and don’t need to depend on others to lead me around an unfamiliar place.

Shana May 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Congratulations on running a marathon for a great cause and for yourself! You are so inspiring! Your iced coffee looks darker today. Did you make it differently? I’ve developed quite an iced coffee addiction since the weather has warmed up. I’m currently on the hunt for good, fair trade coffee (as opposed to the mediocre Folgers that we currently buy).

Hilary May 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Exciting news indeed! I didn’t think I’d ever run a marathon, but I did!

Marian Schembari May 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm

YES! This is awesome news, you totally kick some ass girl!

Tina @ http://tinaboogren.typepad.com/stillstrugglingatthirty/ May 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Congratulations!!!! I ran the NYC Marathon last year and it was the event of a lifetime–truly. I cannot wait to follow you on this adventure!

Nichole (eat & be pretty) May 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

congratulations, that’s such exciting news! i can’t imagine running 26.2 but i never say never…just bought your book by the way, can’t wait to start reading :)

EmmaClaire May 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm

@Tina:

Downer much, Kelsey? I think Tina is AMAZING for doing this!! I get what you’re saying, but I really don’t see how it’s a bad thing in any way. Maybe instead of making comments like this, you could be out there helping people. Clearly, Tina cares a lot about others, and the marathon is just a way for her to help out AND run an awesome marathon!!

Lauren May 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

Hi Tina,
    The thing I never thought ‘d do was run the 15k Gasparilla race. Not only did I do it but many times over.

Shannon, Tropical Eats May 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!

Took the plunge & Signed up for Team Livestrong during NYC’s ING Marathon too a few weeks ago.

Major adrenaline rush when I clicked submit! PS Congrats on your new book :) Can’t wait to read it.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes May 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

So excited for you that you are having such success with you book! Isn’t it amazing to see what happens when we look back at where we have come? Totally not thinking you would originally ever write a book and now isn’t it crazy!?! How amazing for you!

Laura Jane May 3, 2011 at 11:56 am

Congrats! Well, I said I would never regain the weight I worked SO hard to lose, but I did. :-)

Lizzy May 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I said the same thing when I finished my first marathon and now I’m on to marathon #4 in October. Lets definitely train together with Becky too! NY is better than Boston. There I said it in writing. NYC is the best marathon, I loved it. I mean it was still a marathon and was hard but the fan support and what you SEE is amazing. Maybe I’m bias cuz I grew up on the Boston course but its just not as scenic. And maybe I would feel differently if I actually qualified. But to me NY was better!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) May 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I love Team for Kids! I can’t wait to see you on the course in November. Maybe we’ll even end up in the same starting corral on Staten Island.

Dori May 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Yeah! I was planning on running 2011’s NYC Marathon with TFK too, but because I am injured I don’t want to commit to them. I am qualified for the race either way though, so hopefully I will get to see you!