• Good News, Bad News

May 17, 2011

Last night, Mal and I enjoyed a birthday celebration for our friend, Kaitlyn, at Foundry on Elm in Davis Square. For months, our friends have raved about this place, so I was really excited to experience it for myself.

When we arrived, the bar was hopping! Pretty Things Beer launched their new Field Mouse’s Farewell at Foundry, so there were tons of people crowded around. I thought about trying the new brew, but I went with a Blue Point Toasted Lager instead. I enjoyed this beer— it was medium bodied with sweet, malty flavors— but nothing else really stood out about it. I guess it just didn’t wow me, ya know? It had a nice, clean finish, so I’m sure it would taste wonderful on a hot summer day!

2011-05-16_001 (480x270)

Our group ended up getting a table at the back of the restaurant where it was still pretty busy, but much more quiet. I was surprised how crowded Foundry was on a Monday night!

To start, the six of us shared a plate of Poutine (French fries with cheddar curds and peppery gravy) as an appetizer. I loved the combo of flavors, but my friend said that traditional Poutine typically has more cheddar curds. I could only imagine how delicious THAT would taste!

Our table also shared an order of calamari (really good!) and some freshly baked bread.

IMG_0018 (640x480)IMG_0019 (640x480)

For my entrée, I ordered a flatbread pizza with sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, pine nuts, and balsamic reduction. I was a little disappointed that there weren’t a ton of toppings on the flatbread, but the dough made up for it. It was perfectly light and chewy. I’m psyched for leftovers this afternoon!

During dinner, I enjoyed a Clown Shoes Brown Angel, which had tons of malty flavor, but was a tad too hoppy for me. I tend to like more sweet, smooth brews. It was definitely a good beer– just not my thing.

2011-05-16_0011 (480x270)

Breakfast

I cuddled with Murphy until about 6:30 this morning, so, while I laid in bed, Mal finished off the iced coffee without me knowing. So, when I walked into the kitchen, he asked if I wanted the good news or the bad news first. I choose the good news first, which was that I could have Marylou’s iced coffee with breakfast! Ha!

At Marylou’s, I purchased an Almond Joy iced coffee with milk and no sugar.

To eat, I whipped up a batch of Good Food Made Simple steel cut oats. I put the oatmeal puck in a bowl, microwaved it for 3 minutes, and viola: warm, chewy steel cut oats in minutes. I added chia seeds and a big scoop of peanut butter to my bowl.

CNC Book Signing

Just a quick reminder that my book signing is THIS Thursday, May 19th at 7:00 PM at the Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge Corner! If you’re local, I really hope you can make it! There will be cookies!

When it comes to good news and bad news, which do you want to hear first?

Roz May 17, 2011 at 11:33 am

Looks like a fantastic dinner! I’d rather hear bad news first, then finish on a good note. Have a good day Tina.

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

I have got to try Marylou’s one day when I’m in Boston. I keep hearing such good things about it. I quit coffee but I’d try it there for sure :)

I like hearing the bad news first so I can let it soak in and then enjoy the good stuff!

Di May 17, 2011 at 11:48 am

Aww, I’m sad you weren’t a fan of the Brown Angel! I loved it when I had it.

I’d rather get the bad news first.

kristen May 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

I think I usually ask for the bad news first.

As for the poutine- agreed, where’s the cheese? And ask a true poutine connoisseur about the sauce and he or she will insist that it is not gravy but rather “poutine sauce” :)

Have a great day!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 17, 2011 at 11:51 am

I always prefer to hear the good news first…I hate when good news becomes not “as good” because the bad news has already set the mood.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes May 17, 2011 at 11:52 am

those french fries are so interesting! i have never heard of that before!!

Amanda May 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

mmm Marylou’s Almond Joy!! You dont have to twist my arm! :)

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda May 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I usually want the bad news first. That way I can cheer up a bit with the good news! Your good news was great though!

marie May 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm

It’s funny that poutine is something new for you :P You need to come to Canada! Also, I prefer to get the bad news first always.

Katy (The Singing Runner) May 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I prefer to hear the bad news first…. it gets me excited for the good news. ;)

Noya - gluttonandstudent May 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That pizza looks so delicious – the combination of toppings sounds like my perfect pizza.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I always want the bad news first – that way I can end off the news with good news! And the kicker is… did he go get you your iced coffee? :)

ellalinea May 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Bad news first, then the good news.. for sure! :)

Alaina May 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I wish I could make the book signing! I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun.

I would have to say bad news first, then the good. :-)

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat May 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

That poutine looks tasty! I love me some cheese curds.

Heather May 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Good news first, softens the blow of the bad news!

lynn @ the actor's diet May 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm

i always pick bad news. but the good news is never as good as the bad is bad

LauraJayne May 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I always want the bad news first! I’m a total worrier, and I like to get it out of the way!

Parita @ myinnershakti May 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I am definitely a good news first kind of person!

And I wish I lived closer to the city…would definitely have come to the book signing! Have fun!

Hope May 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

What a delicious dinner and some great sounding beers! I love trying new beers. :)

I’d rather hear the bad news first so I can get that out of the way and move on to the good news! :)

Doc (The Healthy Ph.D) May 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Bad news first, ALWAYS.

Also, your dinner looks stupendous. Now I can’t wait to go out to eat soon!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That flatbread does look a bit light on toppings. It still looks delicious, though!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I always want the bad news first, so I can end on a high note!

Maria May 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I always ask for the bad news first. What other book signings are you doing??

Tina May 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm

@Maria: None, just this one!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Those fries look incredible. Wish I had them right now. I feel like they would bring a little sunshine to this cloudy weather. When I go to Boston this summer, Marylous might be my first stop.

I definitely prefer bad news first. I like to rip off that bandaid.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I feel the need to weigh-in on the poutine dish because I am Canadian and that is where the dish originated :D

Imagine TONS more cheese on your fries with gravy… and there you will have poutine. Your picture just looked like fries & gravy… you haven’t experienced poutine yet madamm! ;)

It’s easily one of the most unhealthy dishes but oh so fantastic anyways.

Laura @ prettylittlewords May 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I like to hear the bad news first. Get the harsh blow out of the way!

Question for you: I’ve been finding that we have similar tastes in beer. You say that you like sweeter brews — what are some of your favorites? I’m becoming a huge beer nerd!

Alexa @ Simple Eats May 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Definitely bad news…it always makes the good news seem ten times better!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’d rather get the good news first! :)

Mona May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

The dinner looks so good :D

I always want the bad news first!

melissa (fitnessnyc) May 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm

If you sign in NY, I will be there. The Foundry looks really cool! News, bad first I guess?

PS I am reading CNC for the second time. I devoured quickly the first time, so I am trying to pace myself on the second time around.

Also, is there are a reason you decided to run with TFK instead of TNT for the NYC marathon. All right, this comment is getting out of control!

Tina May 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

@melissa (fitnessnyc): I really like helping people through running (i.e. my experience with BOMF), so TFK seemed like a really good fit for me. (I didn’t realize BOMF had bibs for NYMC until after I registered with TFK.)

Mary May 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

How were you out of coffee when “make coffee for tomorrow” was one of the things you said you did in your controversial post yesterday?

Tina May 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

@Mary: I published the post with the hope of getting those things done before I left for dinner. Life got in the way, and I didn’t have time.

Mary May 17, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Oh okay. At first I thought Mal had drank the whole new pot in one morning!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

That flatbread looks fantastic! What a great combination of flavours. :D

I prefer to get the good news first!

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm

so interesting that you want the good first! I like the bad first b/c either way, it ends up with a good note at the end. :)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I always want to bad news first – get that over with! I secretly love when we are out of something and forced to go get it fresh lol!

Blondy Magee May 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

99% of the time I will take the bad news first. You should always end on a happy note. And I love poutine! It is so delicious…and bad for you. :-) I guess most things that are bad for you taste delicious.

Katie May 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

That meal sure looks tasty, but being Canadian I can also tell you that, that dish is NOT poutine, not “authentic” poutine anyway :-)

Abby May 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I would rather get the bad new first. That way the good news is fresh in my mind when I get on with my day!

Hannah May 18, 2011 at 12:10 am

One of my clearest goals in life is to eat poutine. Oh, Canada…

whitney May 18, 2011 at 7:18 am

You can never go wrong with the flat bread pizzas looks DELICIOUS!!

I usually like to hear bad news first because it is no fun to get really excited and then be crushed 5 mins later.